Texas Medical Center

Texas Medical Center Employer Reviews

A typical day at work entails providing safe, effective care in an efficient manner.
Manager of Case Management and Social Work (Current Employee), Houston, TexasMay 18, 2014
Pros: demonstrating icare values.
Cons: serving internal and external customers.
I've been in a leadership role at Houston Methodist Hospital for one year.
I found much satisfaction in caring for our employees, their dependents and our company as a whole.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2014
Our day may have scheduled appointments, walk ins or both.
I learned how to respond to unexpected events and how to maintain flow of the day. I was able to help my co-workers in ways that many people do not have the opportunity to in typical work environments.
I enjoyed working with my direct supervisors and learned much under their instruction.
I felt – more... the most satisfaction in patient care and being a part of the wellness education program for our employees/patients. – less
An odd and mostly unpleasant place to work
Procurement (Current Employee), Houston, TexasNovember 4, 2013
Pros: ok pay and benefits, was near my house and the actual workday was a breeze.
Cons: see above
TMC preaches about policies and procedures but no one really follows or cares to enforce either. Safety, cost savings and quality are supposedly HUGE concerns to the company, but less of an actual mindset and more-so a neat things to talk about in meetings. Every project is value engineered to work for the short term. I guess it's a way to ensure future – more... work or to just get by until it's someone else's problem. OSHA and safety requirements are simply theories and burdens. More time is spent getting around policies than simply following them. Budgets are just imaginary $$$$$ in imaginary buckets. TMC is a private non-profit organization that collects "annual assessments" (essentially HOA fees) from the 50+ member institutions within our campus. When we run out of said buckets of money we then try to strong arm our member institutions to foot the bill.

The younger or newer employees (with these apparently irrelevant things called college degrees) who haven't been with the company their entire life are deemed outcasts. The good old boys and girls that started their careers at TMC as admins or maintenance guys rule the roost. If you don't "drink the kool-aid" you get "re-organized". There are easily 20 Vice Presidents that spend their entire day in meetings rather than managing their actual staff. Of those said 20 VP's half have college degrees that they attained online. For a company with less than 200 employees the number of Managers, Directors, or VP's is just excessive, especially when the maintenance department makes up roughly half the work force. There are literally departments that have 1 or two people in them...typically with just a VP or director and an admin.

Zumba classes, healthy living seminars, weekly birthday & anniversary cake parties, and promises of change are doled out in turn when the natives get restless, while upper management covers their backsides to fight off the likes of intimidation, workplace bullying, malintent, and race discrimination (see Kool-aid mentioned above). Cold, calculated plans of attack are put in place when they feel someone is about to expose their dilapidated and outdated management strategies. Speaking your mind is strictly forbidden and retaliatory headcount reductions or reorganization, or workforce optimization, or whatever they call it next are swiftly carried out. Glazed, painted over and craftily delivered presentations to employees about why they should be grateful to be working at such a great company.

Stop pretending to be something you aren't and know your role. You are the landlord of the largest medical center in the world. You are simply responsible for the maintenance and management of the land and any facilities that may be on it. You need to focus on treating your tenants better and get better at supporting them. – less
Company is undergoing change. Time will tell.
Senior Business Operations Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 29, 2013
Company was a good place to work, but is currently going through a re-organization. This will take some adjustment.
Active fast-paced work environment.
CAD Manager & Project Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 14, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: not really a lot of down time to regenerate.
Many Projects fall into my lap. The day is never boring. There is always action where my expertise is needed and requested.
Memorial Hermann Hospital Excellent place to work
Pharmacist (Former Employee), Memorial Hermann HospitalFebruary 19, 2013
24 years of service as Pharmacist responsible for Emergency Medical carts. Signed 222 Narcotic Form Orders, Checked narcotics to hospital patients, checked special compounds for accuracy made for hospital patients, Ordered inventory for
emergency drug carts.

A typical day started about 6AM with about 8 medical carts to service. Then to Narcotic vault – more... to check in coming narcotics.
Then to compounding department to check newly made compounds for accuracy. Then back to Narcotic vault to check the outgoing
narcotics to respective patients . Then to receive merchandise from
suppliers for the next days medical carts servicing. – less