Texas Medical Center Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 21, 2016
This was a casual hourly job carried out mostly on the field. We worked in teams to gather data on air quality metrics like pollutants, air pressure, temperature etc to determine the level of pollution in selected disadvantaged neighborhoods. The data collected will be analyzed to create solutions to reduce pollution in such areas to prevent lung diseases. It was a great learning experience in working with teams and also handling equipment for air sampling.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
short breaks
Okay Place to work
Worker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2015
TMC is a great place to work if you want to do the same thing for the rest of your career. The organization is not focused on career advancement for the employees. Departments work in silos and the top management could care less about the employees; as they only care about the vision of TMC 3. Top management running the company have no idea about how to run a business and the have a don't care attitude about those not working directly for them. The work at TMC is not challenging and it a fairly easy going environment. However, if you are concerned about your career and advancement, training and being apart of a vibrant culture, TMC is not the place to work.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No room for advancement in your career
I found much satisfaction in caring for our employees, their dependents and our company as a whole.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2014
Our day may have scheduled appointments, walk ins or both.
I learned how to respond to unexpected events and how to maintain flow of the day. I was able to help my co-workers in ways that many people do not have the opportunity to in typical work environments.
I enjoyed working with my direct supervisors and learned much under their instruction.
I felt the most satisfaction in patient care and being a part of the wellness education program for our employees/patients.
Memorial Hermann Hospital Excellent place to work
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Memorial Hermann HospitalFebruary 19, 2013
24 years of service as Pharmacist responsible for Emergency Medical carts. Signed 222 Narcotic Form Orders, Checked narcotics to hospital patients, checked special compounds for accuracy made for hospital patients, Ordered inventory for
emergency drug carts.

A typical day started about 6AM with about 8 medical carts to service. Then to Narcotic vault to check in coming narcotics.
Then to compounding department to check newly made compounds for accuracy. Then back to Narcotic vault to check the outgoing
narcotics to respective patients . Then to receive merchandise from
suppliers for the next days medical carts servicing.
A typical day at work entails providing safe, effective care in an efficient manner.
Manager of Case Management and Social Work (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasMay 18, 2014
I've been in a leadership role at Houston Methodist Hospital for one year.
Pros
Demonstrating ICARE values.
Cons
Serving internal and external customers.
Active fast-paced work environment.
CAD Manager & Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 14, 2013
Many Projects fall into my lap. The day is never boring. There is always action where my expertise is needed and requested.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Not really a lot of down time to regenerate.
Company is undergoing change. Time will tell.
Senior Business Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 29, 2013
Company was a good place to work, but is currently going through a re-organization. This will take some adjustment.
My very 1st job
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 7, 2014
Unfortunately, Frenchys was forced to shutdown due to tax debts but it was a good stepping stone for a 1st job experience.
An odd and mostly unpleasant place to work
Procurement (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasNovember 4, 2013
TMC preaches about policies and procedures but no one really follows or cares to enforce either. Safety, cost savings and quality are supposedly HUGE concerns to the company, but less of an actual mindset and more-so a neat things to talk about in meetings. Every project is value engineered to work for the short term. I guess it's a way to ensure future work or to just get by until it's someone else's problem. OSHA and safety requirements are simply theories and burdens. More time is spent getting around policies than simply following them. Budgets are just imaginary $$$$$ in imaginary buckets. TMC is a private non-profit organization that collects "annual assessments" (essentially HOA fees) from the 50+ member institutions within our campus. When we run out of said buckets of money we then try to strong arm our member institutions to foot the bill.

The younger or newer employees (with these apparently irrelevant things called college degrees) who haven't been with the company their entire life are deemed outcasts. The good old boys and girls that started their careers at TMC as admins or maintenance guys rule the roost. If you don't "drink the kool-aid" you get "re-organized". There are easily 20 Vice Presidents that spend their entire day in meetings rather than managing their actual staff. Of those said 20 VP's half have college degrees that they attained online. For a company with less than 200 employees the number of Managers, Directors, or VP's is just excessive, especially when the maintenance department makes up roughly half the work force. There are literally departments
  more... that have 1 or two people in them...typically with just a VP or director and an admin.

Zumba classes, healthy living seminars, weekly birthday & anniversary cake parties, and promises of change are doled out in turn when the natives get restless, while upper management covers their backsides to fight off the likes of intimidation, workplace bullying, malintent, and race discrimination (see Kool-aid mentioned above). Cold, calculated plans of attack are put in place when they feel someone is about to expose their dilapidated and outdated management strategies. Speaking your mind is strictly forbidden and retaliatory headcount reductions or reorganization, or workforce optimization, or whatever they call it next are swiftly carried out. Glazed, painted over and craftily delivered presentations to employees about why they should be grateful to be working at such a great company.

Stop pretending to be something you aren't and know your role. You are the landlord of the largest medical center in the world. You are simply responsible for the maintenance and management of the land and any facilities that may be on it. You need to focus on treating your tenants better and get better at supporting them.
Pros
OK pay and benefits, was near my house and the actual workday was a breeze.
Cons
See above

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Texas Medical Center Reviews by Location