Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Employee Reviews

Very Poor Management
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2018
Management allows nepotism and favoritism. Her favorites can take time off and come to work late and leave early daily without using any leave. Unbalanced work loads and constant contradictions. Management and coworkers talk down about other coworkers daily within their clicks. You have to fake it to avoid being on their bad list all while trying to do your job. Looking to move on.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Treated unfairly....poor management!
Purchaser (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2018
Nepotism was allowed in the Financial Resources Division. Personal relationships were brought into the workplace which effected management decisions. Was treated unfairly by management mainly because Purchasing Manager would not confront issued within the department.
Pros
Decent pay and retirement.
Cons
No raises or bonuses given for hard work.
Tpwd
Administrative Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 22, 2017
TPWD would be an interesting place to work, if the agency was allowed to spend their own revenue. I left there because after every Legislative session, the management would gather us and announce that yoo-hoo, this biennium, we get to keep our jobs!..
Pros
Work culture
Cons
Lack of stability revenue-wise
I'm sure a lot has changed since i worked there
Fish and Wildlife Technician II (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 18, 2017
When I worked there, pay was very low. I've seen that salaries have greatly improved in recent years, so it's more attractive now. The starting salaries I've seen advertised are well above average. However, it appears they don't increase much beyond that. The big thing about working in Texas is that Texas is so big. It's a long drive to get anywhere for a meeting. I spent many nights in motels when I worked there.
Pros
Nice place, lots to do
Cons
Everything is spread out; you're always travelling
Wonderful learning experience with great mentors
Extern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 3, 2017
Attorneys were friendly and helpful
Learned a lot about water law and environmental law
Participated in cite visits
Conducted legal research and created memos
Great
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Cedar Hill, TXAugust 6, 2017
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department is a great department to work for. As an Administrative Assistant II, I serve in the State Parks Division. The state parks are great and wonderful to work for. Like any other job, there is a lot of politics involved. Otherwise, it is great. Benefits are also great.
Pros
Great Environment, Benefits
Cons
Politics
Great benefits, easy-going, and easy to learn
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnet, TXAugust 3, 2017
The work environment was friendly. Management could have had a little improvement, but overall they were fair and accommodating. The hardest part of the job is learning all of the rules and regulations that customers ask about.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Short breaks
Rewarding
Huntinnstructorg I (Current Employee) –  TexasJuly 24, 2017
I get satisfaction from seeing young as well as older students succeed. I have had many older students that have come up to me and tell me they learned something.
Tpwd
Environmental Educator/Natural Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMarch 30, 2017
Under the direction of the Park Superintendent I managed and conducted environmental education programs for various groups both inside and outside the park for large, diverse groups of people. I maintained records and agency logs of all interpretive events to turn in to Austin every month. I developed and implemented many programs and curriculum for schools that followed TEKS guidelines, developed and implemented a merit badge program for boyscouts and girlscouts, developed and implemented a registration form and itinerary for school groups. I researched and developed an interpretive trail guide, park specific fish ID and bag limit signage, interpretive exhibits, FAQ books for visitors and staff, native plant ID booklet, and various other informative brochures. Acting as the Resource Manager I led many projects which included maintaining, monitoring and coordinating the repair of historical CCC culverts, maintaining surveys of sensitive archeological sites, cultural monitoring of construction projects, coordinating staff in preparation and execution of public hunts, managing public hunts and assisting in the collection and maintenance of harvest data. Monitoring invasive aquatic and terrestrial species within the park, maintaining and monitoring reports of nuisance wildlife and assisting in the capture and removal of nuisance wildlife, capturing live specimens to conduct research for public programs and information, maintain and take care of wildlife including alligators, fish, aquatic and land turtles, snakes, orphaned or injured wildlife, monitoring human impacts on park  more... and implementing programs to minimize impacts. I also put together many Project Review Requests to assess the natural and cultural impacts of park projects.  less
Fun Place to Volunteer Work For
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 27, 2017
I enjoy Volunteering with the Texas Buffalo soldier program and the benefits its provides kids on the history of the Buffalo Soldiers.I have been here for the past few years do trail rides out door camping and being an example of what it was like to live back in the day. We work with boyscoots and others to perform roles on the outdoor lifestyle and the stuggles on how life was back in the day.
injoyed working thee, was my ideal job
Custodial III (Former Employee) –  Burnet, TXFebruary 8, 2017
Only down fall about this place was that the supervisors were liars and didn't communicate very well. Favoritism plays a big roll in there hiring Besides that I loved working there
Pros
Outside, work at own pace, great customers
Cons
liers, lack of communication, favoritism
Good job just looking for more
Accounts examiner (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 6, 2017
It's a state job. Benefits are nice but the compensation could be a lot better. Certain section you can only advance so far in. Does have good job security
Wildlife Biologist
Natural Resource Specialist 3 (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 25, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job was working outdoors collecting survey data; along with reaching out to educate my community about wildlife. Outreach programs make up a large portion of the job.
Nice place to work but the pay
Network System Analyst Contractor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 6, 2017
This job is one of the least stressful I ever worked. The pay for full time is low but family comes first and if you have children then this would be an excellent place to work.
Pros
Stress free work place
Cons
Low pay
Great Company and nice environment
System Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2017
I enjoyed doing this job during the time I was their. The job provide me a good and healthy challenge for me. It was a good job security because is a government job.
Great place to start a career
Maintenance Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Rockport, TXDecember 28, 2016
Career advancement and long term employment are great with this company loved the people I worked with and loved the feeling I had to go to work each day
TPWD is where I want to be.
Intern I / Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Mason, TXOctober 23, 2016
I loved working outdoors and enjoyed the people I worked with. Everyone enjoys coming to work each day and their passion for the job is clearly visible. I learned new things about wildlife and land stewardship every day. The hardest part of the job was knowing my position was only a temporary position.
good environment....interesting
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  La Porte, TXJanuary 19, 2016
Its just retail. Sitting at register greeting customers, selling tickets to ship and selling merchandise. Just retail. Management sucks. Too many double standards. Love the benefits, that's why I returned to working with the State of Texas. Still looking......
benefits
Cons
retail like atmosphere and not appreciated
Good people but not great managment
Aquatic Nuisance Species Biologist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 4, 2016
There are many talented and hard working individuals at TPWD that have the protection of our natural resources as their personal mission.
Great job
Park Ranger III/State Park Police Officer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 1, 2016
The job provided great balance of work and family. The management and co-workers were great to work with. If you love the outdoors you would like working for Texas Parks and Wildlife.