Texas Southern University Employee Reviews

Comfortable atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 24, 2017
Staff has no room for advancement, no raises, always has freeze on funds when it comes to the support staff. Faculty continuously is compensated. Staff is overworked, treated unfairly and underpaid.
Pros
Good healthcare benefits, flexible hours
Cons
does not give merit raises, no opportunity for advancement
Great experience
Student Internship (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 19, 2017
Being a student intern at Texas Southern University is a good experience to know what to expect from the real world. Working in the Office of Information Technology is just an plus to my experience knowing that I major in Computer Science.
Pros
Work environment, campus, Directors
Tsu
Coordinator of Campus Activities (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2017
One of the best hbc university in texas.
Family environmnet
Room for growth
Motivating
Challenging
Safe climate
Student centered
Motivating
Challenging
Pros
University
Cons
Job security
Good Workplace
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 8, 2017
Working here really enhanced my thinking as well as put me in contact that I just might need in the future. Working here has aught me how to conduct myself in an office enviornemnt it has aught how to provide excellent customer service and how to communicate and help others to the best of my ability.
Pros
Free lunches, fun enviornement, and meeting historical people
Cons
When the computers are down we are not able to complete certain task in a timely fashion.
Very productive and enjoyable place to work
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2017
My job experience working at Texas Southern University was both a learning experience and enjoyable experience. Everyone worked well together which provided for great teamwork.
Pros
Relaxed environment and great people
Cons
short breaks
By far my best employer
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CA 95828April 27, 2017
Texas Southern was by far the best place Ive worked. The people there were very friendly and treated me like family. They were patient in allowing me to learn different computer systems and the many different necessary operations of what goes on in an administrative office. I gained most of my administrative or clerical experience here as i worked as a student worker on campus inside of the campus police department.
Productive but fun office
Work Study Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2017
Helping students was my main priority. Management is nice and helpful. Hardest part was having to turn students away for not qualifying for work study. Not able to help everyone.
it is a collegial atmostphere.
Tenured Full Professor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2017
Texas Southern University (TSU) is a wonderful place to work. I have been here since 2005, and I find the environment to be good and comfortable. I recommend future scholars to seek employment at TSU.
Texas Southern is an urban resource state educational institution
Telecommunications Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 2, 2017
Texas Southern University is in a highly political culture. The security of your job depends almost entirely on your abilities.
Typical work day meetings, work flow assessment begin work orders.
Work on priority VIP orders first and try to satisfy supervisors.
TSU is a very political climate that is better to avoid unless you are also political.
The hardest part of the job is trying to satisfy too many VIPs at once.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to join in on all of its department's celebrations throughout the campus family.
Pros
TSU has good benefiits a flexible work schedule and many holidays
Cons
Employees are not encouraged to attend self emprovement classes.
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 24, 2017
I loved this job! So many great surroundings and teachings. Working here taught me alot and really taught me to become more sociable. I would recommend this job to anyone.
Excellent
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 21, 2017
I loved my job at the institution to bad I had to leave because it was work study. The institution treated their employees very well and it felt like family instead of strangers.
Pros
Acknowledging your work
Cons
No cons
people
Custodian II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 18, 2017
When you inter acting with people of all races you learn more about yourself and a lot about them, best job I've had since living here in Houston Texas.
Pros
good eats
Cons
not all the time
Productive and fun work place.
Cheerleading Coach (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2017
A typical day at work would consist of answering phones, filing paper work and assisting others with proper referral source for students seeking various types of assistance. Collaborate with the Dean and other department entities to oversee the academic program and ensure quality faculty and student support services. Hardest part is assisting with someone who is in a bad mood. Once student has been directed in the right manner and is now satisfied with visit is most enjoyable.
Pros
Very flexible. Good environment for learning and growing while in school.
Cons
No benefits
dispatching
Campus Police Officer and Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 22, 2017
another grand experience. I learned to how to be calm in and emergency situation. Learning how to answer phones and help other to stay calm in an scary situation.
Hardworking
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2017
This was more of an summer volunteer job for me, I didn't make any money but I thought the job was cool. The typical day of summer school as a teacher was getting the children to settle into their seats, help them with their school work and teach them their high-frequency words. Even though I don't want to be a teacher, it was cool being able to help a child in their education.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
unpaid
Great place to work if you are a college student
Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2017
Not much else I can say. The pay is decent for a college student. I was building a website for the department of computer science. The job culture was really chill. They understand if you have school work to work on.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 25, 2017
Great place to work, excellent desire to help others to achieve and maintain sustainability in the HBCU community. I gained a lot of valuable experience working there and would have stayed had something more permanent opened up.
best job i had
Tiger Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 23, 2017
it was so much fun working for my college. i mentored, joked and laughed with my peers. my supervisor was also my mentor. IF THEY PAYED MORE THEN I WOULD DEFINITLY GO BACK.
Fair treatment and advancement opportunities
Office administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 21, 2017
A typical work day consist of assisting students and working along side the dean. Many opportunities for community involvement. Event planning, managing budgets, and administrative duties daily.
Quiet Place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 2, 2017
Had a lot of time and space to research relevant topics. Very hands-on in many aspects which was conducive to learning. Co-workers were very helpful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Southern University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2