Texas Southern University Employee Reviews in United States

GREAT School to learn about Black Culture
Admin Receptionist/ Tiger Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
Texas Southern is a great school to go if you want to learn about your heritage and history of HBCU schools and also what it take to make it in american as an African American in this society
Day at work
Mathematics Professor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 3, 2016
usually teach two or three classes per day, with several hours of office hours to attend. During class, i give lecture, help students understand the material and prepare for the course. Once a week, i take students to the mandatory mathlab hour, to give them do the Math online, while i am with them to help or for a quiz or exam.

Outside of class, I also help individual students with any questions that they may have. In addition to this, i respond emails, work on papers such as grades and attendance records. Moreover, attend meetings, workshops and training according to the department's demand.
Pros
Share knowledge and prepare students for their future education
Cons
Lack of job stability
Fast Pace Environment
Lead Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 11, 2016
I learned a lot while I worked in the housing department at Texas Southern University.The atmosphere was genuine and my co workers made the experience better. My job task was to ensure all Residential Assistants reported to their assigned desk duty everyday as well making sure all maintenance issues are reported and taking care of in terms of repairs to student apartments. Being that the housing department is a high call volume department I had to stay knowledgeable on changes in enrollment requirements and the processes of financial aid. What I learned from working from in Texas Southern University housing department is how to Prioritize and Delegate tasks in a fast pace environment ,be encouraging, and Create contingency plans
Pros
Welcoming work environment, A lot feedback from boss
productive Workplace
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 6, 2016
Great place to work enjoyed everything! Awesome employees the culture was very approving of me as a graduate student. The best part was working with kids who needed career path direction.
Working with PhDs and college students was very rewarding
Coordinator-Recruitment & Retention (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2016
Politics hindered job progress and caused poor morale.

I learned a lot about academics, as in many cases, I worked for and directly with PhD's.

My greatest strength is in my ability to work with management and mentor college students, so I was always in "my zone " when working with them.
Pros
Provided technology and office supplies to perform job well
Cons
Extreme politics
Productive, fun, balancing work and personal life
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 19, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is having time for myself as well as my job. I have also learned how to manage and deal with people from different backgrounds and culture.The hardest part of my job is getting up so early to prepare for work and I am better at balancing my job and my personal life.
Pros
Free lunch once a month and great benefits
Cons
short or no breaks
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 14, 2016
Texas Southern University has a great working environment.I have gained a lot of knowledge from co-workers and management.They have made it easy to learn and enjoy my craft.
Convenient hours.
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 1, 2016
It was flexible and comfortable to work as a Residential Assistant on campus sites. When we work, our income was automatically used to pay for our inboard stay during the semesters we work in
An overall eagerness for the advancement of students.
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2016
The students that were willing to come in and talk to the mentors and/or advisors wanted to do better and stay on track to success. The peer mentor program is an excellent tool for students.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Analyzed and adjusted the budget for Office of Continuing Education.
Audited the payroll for the organization.
Delivered funds to account receivables.
Film studio, working with cameras
Camera Operator / Film Editor / Photographer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 12, 2016
Filming everything from football and basketball games to seminars. Editing film with final cut pro 7. Taking pictures on and off campus. Assisting professors with lesson plans for college students.
Pros
writer, editor, camera operator
Cons
loading and packing equipment all alone.
Senior Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 22, 2015
Professors are incredible and very patient. I go to class and participate as well as ask questions because I know my professors are always excited and ready to assist me with any conflict
Flexibility
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasDecember 17, 2015
Texas Southern University is a wonderful institution. However, their pay rate does not match corporate america. My typical day is basically checking to have students responded to assigned work on Blackboard. My manager ad co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job is failing students. The most enjoyable part of the job is changing lives.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
Payrate is not satisfying
Graduate research assistance (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 2, 2015
It was part time job, I didn't have any benefit. But the manager was so kind and friendly. Co workers were so nice and really good team worker.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
No Benifit
Nice place to work
Department Chair and Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 14, 2015
It's a nice place to go to work but unfortunately the campus is surrounded by a neighborhood that is slowly on the mend. Weekly occurrences of violence seem to plague this jewel in the crown of Houston local universities.
Tedious
CALL CENTER REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  houston, texasOctober 8, 2015
The job requires you to desensitize and reduce the amount of sympathy you may want to feel. Also you deal with at time very angry and irate students and parents as well as staff and supervisors with attitudes.
Athletics is where its at!
Sports Photographer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 21, 2015
I enjoy working for athletic programs and being able to taking awesome photos of teams for whatever reason it may be. Working for the Sports Information crew at TSU was a great experience for me and it is something I can see myself doing from now on.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Traveling alot
A good place to be employed
Executive Director/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2015
I spent over four years as an executive administrator at Texas Southern University. It was a good place to work. You will be surrounded by wonderfully talented students who are eager to learn.
Pros
Wonderfully talented students
Cons
Politics
Loved the department
Work Study - Transfer Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 11, 2015
I learned a lot in the short time I was in the transfer department. The atmosphere was genuinly was nice and the faculty made the experience better. The job was a task for handling paperwork, but the work helped me grow significantly.
Pros
Hours, breaks, faculty, students
Cons
N/A
Great Place
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 23, 2015
Great place to work. The faculty and staff are really caring workers. The best part of is interacting with students and helping them decide what career path is right for them.