Texas Southern University Employee Reviews

Excellent Training, Professional, Stable, Career Based.
Administrative (Former Employee), Houston, TexasAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and retirement packages. Take advantage of them.
Cons: Administration turnover is Excessive
Excellent Training Opportunities, Professional, Stable and Career Based. I had the opportunity to get extensive training during my career there, including traveling all over the states. I was able to hold 9 positions and happily retire. Needless to say I am an ecstatic person and move on to my second career. My advice to all employees is to utilize the training opportunities while you are there as a State employee, invest into your retirement and be punctual.
Good Place to work
International Advisor (Current Employee), Houston, TexasAugust 11, 2015
Its a great work place with a little bit of Politic like every where I have work. I personally think it would be good if management would implement a leadership training especially on policy and procedure.
Comfortable, but fast pace work environment that has to be very knowledgable about campus activities.
Senior Enrollment Services Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 5, 2015
High call volume department that had to stay knowledgable of every event, activity, and changes in enrollment requirements campus wide. I learned a lot about the processes of financial aid, registration and admission, as well as the student loan requirements.
Great University
Assistant Baseball Coach (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 4, 2015
great coaching staff, worked several hours making the team we had better and better each day. made sure everything was set up for the players were they wouldn't have to deal with any hassles.
Loved working with students.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXAugust 3, 2015
Pros: learning environment
Cons: low pay
I loved working with the students. I learned a lot about how children learn. Great for research orientated person. Texas Southern University is an higher education learning institution. Education is the core mission. The campus is beautiful.
TSU School of Business
Receptionist (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 24, 2015
A great place to work. Learned a lot. Got to interact with students a lot who are fun to be around. A great place to study business
great place
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 9, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short stint
This is where i got my start in collegiate basketball. A typical day would be spent with assistant coaches and watching film and being in meeting. I learned a ton of things from a great head coach. There was no hard parts of the job. The most enjoyable thing was having a great bond with the coaching staff.
Decent depending on your situation
Computer Security Research Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 9, 2015
Pros: They present new opportunities if you work hard enough.
Cons: Benefits are non-existent if you're a non-employee, intern, or student worker.
I got my first break working for TSU. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad either, but then again I was in school at the time so I couldn't really expect much.
Very intellectual workplace
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 30, 2015
Very serious working environment. No place for fun and games, accept for the students. Training provided to individuals with exceptions.
Great Place to work
Student Body President - Serves as the President (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 30, 2015
Pros: Hour lunch break
Cons: non
Family orientated!
A typical day helping the students of Texas Southern University is remarkable. My co-workers are all differnt races and ethicities and we all treat each other like family. We hvae holiday parties and celebrate birthdays. We incoropate challenges like working out and thing s of that sort!
Great
Education Advisor Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 29, 2015
Great opportunity that allowed great growth. Patience was learned. I really enjoyed the staff and the atmosphere. Great experience.
Challenging Workplace
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 22, 2015
Pros: Flexible time management, work with others, offer customer service
Cons: No advancement, Benefits Package
A typical day starts off with checking and solving technical tickets that are in the system. Roughly there are 10 tickets a day that need to be solved. The hardest part of the job is actually solving various tickets and providing technical support to faculty staff with their conflicting schedule. The most enjoyable part of the is providing excellent customer service.
Research Facilities
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 16, 2015
Provides a lot of research opportunities in the field of traffic and transportation engineering. The transportation labs are very much lucrative comparison to other universities.
A good supervisor is really important
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 12, 2015
A good supervisor is really important. The secretary is not hardworking at all. You must do a lot of paperwork by your self.
Productive hands on learning environment
Student-Athletic Trainer (Former Employee), Houston, TexasJune 5, 2015
Pros: Hands on learning, scholarships, books for school, free travel, networking.
Cons: Not much free time
A typical day consisted of arriving an hour before team practice to open the training room and prepare for treatment and taping. Once the training room was ready for use I set up the gym for practice and surveyed the court for safety hazards. My two years of working as the Student- Athletic Trainer for the women's basketball team taught me how to manage time wisely and work smart not hard. It also taught me how to make quick decisions. The hardest part of the job was the hostility I may encounter from an upset athlete or coach. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing athletes come back from injuries and perform at optimum level after doing rehabilitation and treatment with me.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TexasJune 4, 2015
Very energetic and multiple task type of environment at Texas Southern working with the staff and students. I usually work in my own space so I don't work with a lot of people directly because I usually am on my computer getting things completed.
Fun place to work but has it's issues
Assistant to Network Administrator (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 2, 2015
Pros: Campus life
Cons: Communication and management
Fun place to work. The culture is great. Real big issues with communication and management. I had fun but it was not all smiles. It ain't what you know it's who you know.
It was easily accessible and convenient for a typical college student
OIT Lab Support Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 28, 2015
A typical day at work was enlightening and very helpful. Also built a tremendous amount of social and customer service skills. This position was very enjoyable.
Flexible
O.I.T. Technician (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 24, 2015
Pros: Gaining work experience throughout college
Cons: Less study time
The job consisted of constant moving.
I learned about multiple software and hardware materials.
The management was very well structured.
Majority of my co-workers were student and there were only 3 of us all together managing separate parts of the campus.
Contacting the user
Learning new things, and making the student and faculty happy.
experience
Risk Management Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 21, 2015
• Oversaw 45 building managers at Texas Southern University, keeping them abreast of building policies and regulations via facilitating one week trainings each month.
• Inspected all buildings for safety according to Texas Southern’s insurance policy and building regulations and reviewed the coding for all classrooms and offices for compliance to receive proper funding.
• Drafted and implemented a Concussion Management Plan for 508 student athletes for the Athletic Department at Texas Southern University to maintain compliance with the current insurance policy.
• Analyzed automotive insurance policies. Consulted with department and organizational leaders to reconcile events and organizational calendars resulting in a savings of 20K per semester by carrying automotive insurance only during periods of their operations.