Texas State Optical Employee Reviews

okay place to work
Front Desk/tech (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 11, 2017
Not enough control in the office and to much favortisme. The doctor does not care about its employees co workers are great. Hours of operation was good.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Schertz, TX 78154May 1, 2017
This is a really bad company to work for. There is more disrespect towards employees by the Owner/ Doctor. I would never invite anyone to work or go to this location.
Bad
The owner was a good doctor but a terrible boss.
Ophthalmic Technician (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXApril 17, 2017
I loved going into work every single day. I adored my coworkers who still remain as close to family to me despite my resignation and that includes the doctors who worked for the owner as well. I can honestly say that I've never worked harder for an employer in my entire life. I went above and beyond my duties each and every day because I loved seeing those around me happy. Especially the patients. I am not one to slander so I will leave it as this; I was taken advantage of and the owner was a good doctor but a terrible boss. No promise of ever advancing for this employer.
Pros
This employer was kind enough to treat us to meals often.
Cons
No room for advancement. Promises of quarterly reviews and wage performances that never happened.
Doctors assistant (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXApril 9, 2017
Quiet yet busy and fast paced environment. Overall a decent place to work. Deal with patients and perform a lot of multiple duties as needed. Closed on Sunday which is nice.
Good Practice
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 4, 2017
easy job, fun work environment, great doc, fair wages...overall a decent job. Small practice so there's not much room for advancement but overall a decent job.
Pros
Good Practice
productive workplace
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 6, 2017
work with dr
learned about glasses/ contacts
management changed a few times
hardest part of the job is unorganized management
enjoyable part of job is working with patients
Pros
discount on contacts and glasses
Cons
management
great multi-tasking job experience
Lead Optician (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXFebruary 1, 2017
I was able to work one on one with customers/patients at the optical, and fortunately gained plenty of customer service experience and juggling many tasks all at once during busy work hours such as, answering appointment calls, search insurance availability, scanning, input data, scheduling appointments, filing confidential paperwork, etc.
Pros
hour lunches, flexible
Cons
unprofessional proper training
Good place to work to get some experience in the field without being overwhelmed
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXDecember 1, 2016
This job allows an employee to expand on their social skills as the job requires a lot of patient interaction. An employee also has ample opportunity to work on time management skills. The hardest part of the job is most likely the time management. The job is not difficult to accomplish but if the day-to-day duties are not completed, they can quickly start to pile up. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with patients. If a potential employee likes to converse and interact with people, this job is perfect for them.
Pros
can work as much overtime as you want
Cons
no benefits, minimum wage
Productive and fun work environment
Optometric Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 7, 2016
TSO helped me understand and provide eye care for many patients. In addition I was able to have direct contact by prepping patients for the doctor.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Highway 6 Houston TxOctober 18, 2016
Typical day at work is answering phone, greeting patients. I learned how to look up insurance and verify, great co-worker, happy with the management
Pros
Friendliness
Cons
temp job
Learned many things in my position, but wanted to learn more!
Optician (Former Employee) –  Temple, TX 76502July 18, 2016
Really enjoyed the fast paced environment! I felt I learned so much while employed at TSO! Although the lack of ability to advance any further pushed me away and caused me to move on.
Pros
High quality services!
Cons
No room to advance.
High Stress Environment but Experience gathering
Certified Optician (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXApril 10, 2016
When I first started at TSO it was nice getting to know everyone and all the new rule, regulation, etc. However now, when I go to work my manager is always telling me that I did something wrong without telling me anything good that I have done. I feel very unappreciated there because I work so hard and even get recommendation from patient that I am a good worker but my manager alway has something negative to say. I personally love working with patients one on one. My other coworkers are usually pretty fun but gets to a point of irritation really quickly do to irritable patients or coworkers. Personally the moral has been a little low for a while but I always try my best to put a smile on my face for my wonderful patients.
Pros
Break room, Eyewear discounts
Cons
Short Breaks
Disorganized
Technician (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXJanuary 15, 2016
In a typical day, we would have many issues consistent with disorganization. The management and doctors were very uncoordinated with the rest of the staff.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
disorganized office
Fun fast paced work environment
Receptionist/Doctors' Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXSeptember 7, 2015
I enjoyed working at Texas State Optical. I liked the patient interaction and the challenges the position had. I also liked that I was given authority to handle problems that occurred and was given the tools to solve those problems.
Doctor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 7, 2015
Very productive environment always busy management was great and customers as well never become bored here. doctors were great and willing to help with any questions.
Pros
Pay
Fun and productive atmosphere, only team players here!
Optician/Lab technician/Social Media Administrator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 15, 2015
A typical day at work consists of preliminary exams, contact lens fittings, insurance coordination, claim submissions, frame styling, selling of products both online and in store, handling of inbound and outbound coorespondences (shipping, letters, etc.), and a relaxing hour to yourself for lunch. Being a member of the TSO-Westlake family has taught me that successful team work is just as valuable as being individually successful. I thoroughly enjoyed frame styling and lens edging as a technician most, having it be sometimes the hardest part of the job really motivated me to become proficient at it quickly! TSO-Westlake is a place where one can easily transition and adapt to the role of an optician. Management does a wonderful job at overseeing fellow employees and ensuring that they are on top of their game. The single most important take away knowledge I have incurred while employed at TSO is the successful utilization of customer service skills with problem resolution skills. Seeing that we are an optical and we are constantly selling and processing orders, issues do arrise at times and being able to handle and resolve a difficult situation all the while providing excellent customer service is a must! I thank TSO for that valuable lesson and knowledge!
Pros
hour lunches during the week, closed on Sundays, awesome staff, constant opportunities to learn, healthcare, commission
Cons
short break on Saturdays
workplace
Insurance Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  houston, txApril 7, 2015
A fun environment with my co workers who are very friendly and fun to work with. Management is nice too but their is no growth in the position that I am currently in. Currently I am working on Saturdays which I like to eliminate and work M-F only. Also I enjoy doing Insurance billing for the company and that's the most fun part of my job
Good Workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 3, 2015
Overall a good place to work. Every location is different so I cannot speak for all, but I learned a great deal of valuable information here for my career while I worked here. The staff was great and worked as a team very effectively, but there is a disconnect between upper management and anyone other than management. Most of the doctors are great but are usually not there longer than a few years. Very busy workplace, which I thought was great and opportunity for growth really depends on who you work under.
Pros
Commission, Many locations
Cons
Healthcare
Love seeing somebody face when they get glasses for the first time
Optician (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXFebruary 24, 2015
I'm a quick learner. getting to the office to get my jobs ready for the day. Fitting,making,and dispensing glasses. Dealing with irate patients when they see like they would like but when they give them a try, they come back to apologize.
Cons
Have no insurance
Productive and fun atmosphere, very low stress position.
Optician (Former Employee) –  Early, TXDecember 12, 2014
There is little to no opportunity for advancement or raises. The manager hires her friends only and gives them large raises and also starts them of at ridiculous amounts with no training.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas State Optical. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9