Texas State Optical Employee Reviews in United States

High Stress Environment but Experience gathering
Certified Optician (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXApril 10, 2016
When I first started at TSO it was nice getting to know everyone and all the new rule, regulation, etc. However now, when I go to work my manager is always telling me that I did something wrong without telling me anything good that I have done. I feel very unappreciated there because I work so hard and even get recommendation from patient that I am a good worker but my manager alway has something negative to say. I personally love working with patients one on one. My other coworkers are usually pretty fun but gets to a point of irritation really quickly do to irritable patients or coworkers. Personally the moral has been a little low for a while but I always try my best to put a smile on my face for my wonderful patients.
Pros
Break room, Eyewear discounts
Cons
Short Breaks
Disorganized
Technician (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXJanuary 15, 2016
In a typical day, we would have many issues consistent with disorganization. The management and doctors were very uncoordinated with the rest of the staff.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
disorganized office
Fun fast paced work environment
Receptionist/Doctors' Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXSeptember 7, 2015
I enjoyed working at Texas State Optical. I liked the patient interaction and the challenges the position had. I also liked that I was given authority to handle problems that occurred and was given the tools to solve those problems.
Doctor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 7, 2015
Very productive environment always busy management was great and customers as well never become bored here. doctors were great and willing to help with any questions.
Pros
Pay
Fun and productive atmosphere, only team players here!
Optician/Lab technician/Social Media Administrator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 15, 2015
A typical day at work consists of preliminary exams, contact lens fittings, insurance coordination, claim submissions, frame styling, selling of products both online and in store, handling of inbound and outbound coorespondences (shipping, letters, etc.), and a relaxing hour to yourself for lunch. Being a member of the TSO-Westlake family has taught me that successful team work is just as valuable as being individually successful. I thoroughly enjoyed frame styling and lens edging as a technician most, having it be sometimes the hardest part of the job really motivated me to become proficient at it quickly! TSO-Westlake is a place where one can easily transition and adapt to the role of an optician. Management does a wonderful job at overseeing fellow employees and ensuring that they are on top of their game. The single most important take away knowledge I have incurred while employed at TSO is the successful utilization of customer service skills with problem resolution skills. Seeing that we are an optical and we are constantly selling and processing orders, issues do arrise at times and being able to handle and resolve a difficult situation all the while providing excellent customer service is a must! I thank TSO for that valuable lesson and knowledge!
Pros
hour lunches during the week, closed on Sundays, awesome staff, constant opportunities to learn, healthcare, commission
Cons
short break on Saturdays
workplace
Insurance Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  houston, txApril 7, 2015
A fun environment with my co workers who are very friendly and fun to work with. Management is nice too but their is no growth in the position that I am currently in. Currently I am working on Saturdays which I like to eliminate and work M-F only. Also I enjoy doing Insurance billing for the company and that's the most fun part of my job
Good Workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 3, 2015
Overall a good place to work. Every location is different so I cannot speak for all, but I learned a great deal of valuable information here for my career while I worked here. The staff was great and worked as a team very effectively, but there is a disconnect between upper management and anyone other than management. Most of the doctors are great but are usually not there longer than a few years. Very busy workplace, which I thought was great and opportunity for growth really depends on who you work under.
Pros
commission, many locations
Cons
healthcare
Love seeing somebody face when they get glasses for the first time
Optician (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXFebruary 24, 2015
I'm a quick learner. getting to the office to get my jobs ready for the day. Fitting,making,and dispensing glasses. Dealing with irate patients when they see like they would like but when they give them a try, they come back to apologize.
Cons
have no insurance
Productive and fun atmosphere, very low stress position.
Optician (Former Employee) –  Early, TXDecember 12, 2014
There is little to no opportunity for advancement or raises. The manager hires her friends only and gives them large raises and also starts them of at ridiculous amounts with no training.
Small practice with great customer service.
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, TXDecember 2, 2014
A typical day for me in the office would consist of me handling all customer service check ins and outs. Handling cash flow and orders for customers. I also assisted in getting customers ready for their vision exams, while working in direct contact with the Doctor.
Pros
great work hours
Cons
no benefits for employees.
productive
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  houston,txOctober 25, 2014
sales, adjust glass, insurance verification, helping others
Pros
lunch
Cons
no braks
Worked well with my co-workers
Optician/Drs' Assistant (Former Employee) –  Early, TXOctober 6, 2014
A typical day consisted of assisting patients with his/her eye care needs. I learned patience and how to be empathetic. Management was always willing to address concerns within the work place environment. My co-workers did a good job working as a team for our patients. The difficulty of this job was very minimal and the most enjoyable part was being around my co-workers
Pros
laid back environment around nice people
Cons
insurance was expensive and did not provide dental
A great place to work!
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Stephenville, TXSeptember 15, 2014
I fit frames with lenses and made sunglasses. A nice place to work.
Tso
Optician (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXSeptember 11, 2014
I have learned alot working at texas state optical, the doctor has being working there for years. My co workers are also all very pleasant to work with. The best part about my job is helping others to see and also feel good.
Pros
doctor gives us bonuses if we hit a quota for him, and he also feed us.
Cons
n/a
it was at one time the best place to work
Optician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Early, TXJanuary 30, 2014
as long as you did your job and got your work done then you could pick, joke and play
Pros
the doctor is awsome
Cons
the office drama
Fun place to work, lack of growth
Retail Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 11, 2013
Patients communicating about frames and lenses as well as contacts.
Excellent Workplace and Mangement
Sales Optician (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXAugust 14, 2013
• Provide sales support and implement a system to improve customer service as well as manage staff schedules to ensure proper department coverage
• Design training and deliver coaching to staff to be able to deliver patient education information regarding their vision prescription options
• Maintain emphasis on profitable operations, standards of quality, and honesty
• Negotiate pricing on new lab equipment while maintaining current equipment is calibrated
It was a great place to work. I enjoyed my years there
mgr (Former Employee) –  Brenham, TXJuly 3, 2013
I worked five days a week from 8:30 till 5:30 daily. I loved my job i started out as a doctors assistance and then was promoted to office mgr. which i held until previous doctor retired and business was sold. I appreciated my employees so much , they helped me reach my full potential as a office mgr. The most enjoyable part of my job was able to met our patients needs when they came into our office.
Pros
the fact that we had vacation, sick time, profit sharing, and the freedom to leave if we needed to
Cons
no health insurance
tso
Eyewear Specialist/Doctors Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXJune 12, 2013
Responsibilities included maintaining accuracy of customer files, answering a four line phone system, setting appointments for visits and consultations, insurance verification, filing on medical and vision insurance, being familiar with ICD-9 codes and Diagnostic codes, preparing patients for an exam by running a manual auto-refractor, non-contact tonometer, frequency doubling vision field, and checking acuities, teaching new patients how to wear and take proper care of contact lens, providing extensive customer service, general office maintenance, ordering contact lens, keeping inventory of trial lens and frames, collecting cash and credit card payments from patients, adjustments, frame selection, and lens material selection, auditing and closing of register as well as other assigned duties.
Fun and interesting place to work
Optician (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAMay 28, 2013
My day consisted of making appointments and selling and fitting eyewear. Customer service was a big part of the job which I found enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas State Optical. Our community is ready to answer.

Texas State Optical Reviews by Location