Texas State Technical College

Texas State Technical College Employer Reviews

Stay away
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXJune 9, 2014
When you have a great supervisor you will love this job unfortunately the great supervisor running our department got changed and it went down hill from there.
TSTC is a great place to work at
Accounting Assistant II (Current Employee), Harlingen TexasJune 2, 2014
The people are great, they are willing to help each other at all times and the students are the number one goal of TSTC.
adverage work
Student Worker (Former Employee), Waco, TXJune 1, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: busy work
Typical grunt job. Made for students who's school schedule limits their availability. The staff was great and the work was varied. I loved working the events, but grew tired of registration periods.
Great Educational Institution
Associate Professor (Former Employee), Marshall, TXApril 18, 2014
Great experience but I enjoy the work field more than the educational feild
Productive and fun work place
G-Force Mentor (Former Employee), Harlingen, TXApril 15, 2014
Texas State Technical College has a very friendly and relaxed environment. I worked there as a student and the were very accomodating to work around my school schedule.
Good
Management (Former Employee), Marshall, TXMarch 12, 2014
Pros: lots of activities for students and faculty
Cons: getting along with some people
A typical day was to ensure that students was happy. Ensure that students were able to get the materials needed for an education. Meet deadlines for state and federal statistical reports. Create activities for students and faculty to help support the curriculum. I learned that TSTC values their employees. Management was the hardest to understand especially – more... some Deans. The hardest part of the job was evaluation time. The most enjoyable was working with the students and planning activities. – less
Great College Job
Op-Tec Technician (Former Employee), Waco, TexasJanuary 21, 2014
I worked in between classes and created intro class project for students to work on. It was very challenging and rewarding.
Student worker
APT/EHS Student Office Clerk (Former Employee), Waco, TXDecember 10, 2013
Pros: schedule was flexible
Cons: low wages
General office duties.
How to log in/out aircraft.
Management was great.
Co-worker's were also great.
Nothing was hard about the jobs.
The most enjoyable part was getting to help out with students and staff.
The Media Communications Department
Work study/ office clerk (Former Employee), Waco, TXDecember 7, 2013
Pros: i worked in the department that was the same as my degree major
Cons: no healthcare at the time
I was a receptionist in the Media Communications dept. I helped get new students registered and set up meetings for tours for new students prospects. I also filed documents and answered phone and accommodated incoming persons of the department. At this time I was a full time student.
new equipment and hands-on learning approach
Student Worker (Former Employee), welcome centerDecember 2, 2013
I get to work after class. Each day I learn how to deal with different types of people. The most difficult aspect of my job is smiling when one's day is not going well. The most enjoyable aspect of the job, is being show gratitude from an upset individual, when you have helped them solve their problem.
N/A
Financial Aid Technician (Former Employee), Waco, TXNovember 25, 2013
It is nice place to work with students and like minded people in student services.
Great Workplace
Field Support Technician (Current Employee), Harlingen, TXOctober 20, 2013
Pros: opportunity to go to school, educational expenses paid, flexible schedule, state benefits
Cons: lack of opportunity to express ideas, lack of communication
The organization is a great and fun place to work. However, the opportunities for professional advancement, salary increase are very limited.
Staff Assistant
Staff Assistant (Current Employee), Waco, TexasAugust 18, 2013
Pros: my daily schedule changes daily.
Cons: i would like to work more hours.
Everyone morning I check to see if we have any requisitions to be paid, if so I then process the approval after verifying that the amount due is correct. Issue any disputes with vendors. I check with supervisor to see if we have any new projects that we need to complete for the day. I do filing daily to maintain proper files.
Mostly a hands on learning experience through the college
Student Worker (Former Employee), Waco, TXAugust 15, 2013
Very good learning environment, I was given the opportunity to work in the college's repair station. I mostly gained work experience, and how a repair station operated.
Healthy Work Environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Waco, TXAugust 8, 2013
Pros: great boss
Cons: was only paid minimum wage.
Well my typical day at work consisted of troubleshooting and fixing lab computers. I learned that not every cause has the same effect. My boss was very smart and knew how to run a department. My co-workers consisted of my old instructors. The hardest part of the job was getting all of the labs finished during semester break. The most enjoyable part – more... of the job was learning new things. – less
Friendly work environment
Phi Theta Kappa Student Government Secretary (Former Employee), Brownwood, TexasAugust 5, 2013
This one is not actually a job. It was a voluntary, elected position.
A very good school
Teaching Lab Assistant (Current Employee), Harlingen, TXJuly 1, 2013
A very good organization to work for . Unfortunatly, Educators do not earn a competetive wage.
Student
STUDENT (Former Employee), OnlineJune 4, 2013
Pros: online courses
Cons: technical difficulties that disrupt classes
Instruction was excellent and demonstrated that learning can take place using diverse teaching methods and strategies.
Full of dishonest people riding the gravy train...
with held (Current Employee), WacoMay 20, 2013
Pros: it's a state job. hard to get fired.
Cons: it's a state job, so it's hard to get fired!
This place is full of crooked people just trying to see how much they can get away with. Several students were made to work at an department heads house during class hours (and beyond). They reported that there was more equipment with the TSTC tag at his shop than in their class lab! They knew it wasn't purchased because he tried to hide it from them. – more... Same dept. head tried to get instructors to sign inventory control for equipment they did not have. Nothing was done when this was reported. SIx months later, the department head was promoted! – less
Sweetwater Campus is Toxic
Instructor (Current Employee), SweetwaterMay 6, 2013
Pros: students, co-workers, state retirement plan
Cons: mismanagement of resources, no clear plan, unsettling work environment, if i could retire now, i would.
A typical day with students is wonderful. For the most part they are excited about being there and willing to learn. My co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job is the constant revolving door of submitting schedules, finding room space, turning in syllabi, getting students certified, tracking everyone's calendars every 4 months.

Our team is – more... far understaffed for what we are being asked to accomplish. The gameplan has continued to change over the last 9 months. Impossible to hit management's moving target. We have an adjunct instructor that is teaching six courses and other duties assigned but TSTC doesn't have the money to move her to full-time. Yet there is a full-time instructor for the past year has taught only one class per semester and is getting full-time pay with benefits.
There isn't money to give raises but somehow money was found to pay for three new positions for a new program being developed. Our HR person is involved in much more than simple HR functions. But I guess she has to be since our President is hardly around. Yep took off for an extended weekend to the Kentucky Derby. I can barely afford my bills but our President travels the globe.

The Sweetwater campus is very toxic. People are in that "gotcha" mode and love keeping trouble stirred up. – less

1 2 3