Texas State Technical College Employee Reviews in United States

Great School learned a lot and had great instructors
Student and Federal work study (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXNovember 9, 2015
I have a Associates of Applied Science Small Business Accounting and Associated of Applied Science Computer Networking Systems and Administrators, and I enjoyed learning and working at the school everyone was so wonderful and helpful. This was one of the 5 campuses of TSTC West Texas
Pros
Loved working in the Library the best
Cons
No health benefits
Great Place to Work
Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXSeptember 29, 2015
TSTC has been a great place to work. Great co-workers, good benefits and decent pay. It's overall a good experience! I'm in the marketing office, and though there is a lot to do, it seems like the work is appreciated. The organizational chart is a little confusing.
Pros
benefits, state discounts
Tstc
O.I.T. (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 16, 2015
Not all promised at hire will be seen during the course of one's tenure. Good people to work with for the most part. At hire I was told I can take classes to further my knowledge in my field. Then was told taking classes would interfere with my job function.
Benefits
Cons
Your better off winning the Lotto then seeing your Comp Time.
A great place to work or go to school to get a technical skill that you can have for the rest of your life. There is a very positive atmosphere.
Laboratory Technician for Wind Energy Technology (Current Employee) –  Sweetwater, TXMarch 21, 2016
I enjoyed the challenge of getting to work with numerous students and learn how to most beneficially teach them according to their personal ways of learning and how they individually interpreted information.
Pros
Great Laboratory Environment
Cons
I wanted to attend school there longer, because of the students and instructors, but had to graduate.
Productive and Knowledgable
Aviation Safety Internship (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 14, 2016
As apart of my degree program I had the ability to participate in an internship. With doing my internship with the Aviation Department at Texas State Technical College of Waco I was introduced to a whole new world of safety. Safety training that went beyond construction and general industry.
Pros
Had the ability to stay on campus to be able to go during classes.
Cons
I was unable to make further connecetions outside of Texas State Technical College.
it was a okay working enviorment
Dishwasher/Busboy (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 20, 2016
well when I worked there when I was suppose to get a break I didn't and also the manager their was very rude and didn't care about her employees but I did learn how to work fast and how to use a dishwasher machine.
Pros
fast paced and learned a few things.
Cons
that the manager was rude and didnt get no where near enough hours.
Recruiting Services
Student Worker -Recruiting Services (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXMarch 12, 2016
• Attended to busy customer desk for Recruiting and Admissions Office
• Stocked and maintained office inventory
• Participated and assisted in major recruiting events: annual showcase weekend, campus tours, high school presentations, and college day/night programs
Education
Admissions Advisor/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 20, 2015
I love TSTC for what it can offer. I had a great career due to my education. I moved home for family reasons and the local job market doesnt seem to have high paying careers for people with an Associate Degree.
Pros
Education
Cons
Salary
Great working environment
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJune 8, 2015
LOVE LOVE LOVE it here!!!!!! Great people, great benefits, all around amazing place to work! If I could work here forever I would.
Productive and different jobs every day
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXNovember 30, 2015
I learned how to do different jobs and manage time effectively. I worked well with co-workers, this job was done as a team. The most enjoyable part of the job was to encourage and concince high school graduates and other residents to continue their education. The hardest part of the job was working with disorganized events but that enchanced my problem-solving skills.
Pros
Worked with class schedule
Cons
Part-time, only for TSTC students
Great work enviroment, they would work around my school schedule.
TSTC Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJanuary 12, 2016
Give tours of campus, speak to prospective students and help them sign up for TSTC. Give presentations to highschools about the impotance of further education. Work in telacommunications and handle office work.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Don't have any cons to mention
Fun Workplace
Program Maintenance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXApril 5, 2016
Co-workers are really cool this is the perfect place for honing in some skills i was lacking in This is a state job so really beneficial
Poor management
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMay 8, 2012
TSTC is full of favoritism, gossip and lack of professionalism among management. The president would need to clean house before making a true change at that higher education institution. However, he is so busy that he cannot see the root of the problem.
The enjoyable part about TSTC is when you find a few people that truly make a difference; unfortunately those people don't necessarily receive the gratitude that they deserve from their immediate managers.
TSTC does not give pay raises; I worked there for a few years but nobody received a pay raise throughout that period of time.
The job itself is not hard; the hard part is when managers make notorious distinctions among their employees, and there are zero incentives to motivate employees throughout the year.
Pros
state of texas job (but...see the cons), luncheon (once a year)
Cons
no pay raises, and monthly paycheck, for full-time employees
Great School
Safety Intern (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXNovember 27, 2015
Some management was to be desired , but other management pick up the slack. Personnel are very friendly and nice and financial aid personnel are outstanding.
Pros
Good personnel
Cons
People who run the housing dept.
TSTC Harlingen
Aircraft Mechanic/Instructor (Current Employee) –  TSTC HarlingenOctober 1, 2015
A typical day starts with planning, organizing lectures, labs and test for the following week. I have already line-up the strategies of the semester, but weekly planning helps to track the progress of assignments.

As an instructor, I gained a lot of interpersonal communication skills, the hardest part of the job, is to be on schedule, due to the fact that getting to the objective done, occurs on people in different times.

The most enjoyable part of my job is when we have done a good job, students graduates, and got their FAA License.
We need more technical people like me in industry. So, I went back to my college and taught the students what I have learned.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sweetwater, TXDecember 3, 2015
So, I was put into a position where I could influence a lot more people than in industry. Also, I was charged with up grading the department. I learned a lot of the state of the art process and motion control.
Good work and life
Computer/ Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 9, 2016
The school is a great place to learn and get hands on. There are always people to help you when ever you need them. Also working at the library is a great way to get work expanses and make friends.
This was a great experience
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXDecember 23, 2015
Enjoyed my time working for this team. Had a great experience meeting new people and attending events. Learned a lot of different things and it was a great part time job while going to school.
Pros
meet a lot of new people, good hours
Cons
nothing
Productive and fun workplace
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJuly 21, 2014
A typical day at work is to come in and see if there is any duties ready to do. Call or text my students to see how they are doing or reminding them of any up coming events. Remind them of any tutoring time-sheets they have to turn in. Also remind them of the consequences they have if they don't follow their responsibilities. I have learned a lot with the job. I have learned not to take any class or finance aid for granted. If any student falls below a 2.0 with have to go through this HATSS program. The hardest part of the job is connecting with our mentees. We need to break the ice in our first meeting and after that it's all easy. My most enjoyable part of my job is when I know that my student has past all their classes and pick up their GPA to a 2.0 or higher. I enjoy their achievement to get out of this program and be able to receive their finance aid once again. The other enjoyable part of my job is being with my co-workers. I enjoy their company, laughter and their help when needed.
Pros
works with my school schedule
Cons
no healthcare or any other benefits
Excellent Workplace
PART-TIME WELDING LAB TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Red Oak, TXSeptember 12, 2015
As a student worker, I was allowed to change my work schedule as needed. Wonderful staff and management. Excellent, thorough training on all equipment. Small college, so it was easy to learn where to go and who to talk to for specific tasks.
Pros
Management willing to flex schedule
Cons
Low pay

4.3