Texas State University

Texas State University Employer Reviews

Relaxed work environment with good co-workers
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXDecember 14, 2014
Pros: easy to get time off to study for school.
Cons: no set work schedule.
Co-workers are very nice and helpful with everyone assisting each other so no one gets overwhelmed at work. Hours are flexible, but there is no set work schedule.
A great place to get an education with a small-town feel!
Soil Science Lab Instructor (Current Employee), San Marcos, TexasNovember 17, 2014
I have been at TX State for the past 5 years finishing a master's degree and this is where I received my B.S in Agriculture. It's been a nice experience the campus is beautiful and many opportunities for students to engage in.
Support for growth and learning
Research Associate/Grant Specialist (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXNovember 17, 2014
Working as a grant specialist at Texas State has allowed me to develop in my chosen field with the support of the staff and faculty. The environment fosters innovation and creativity, and rewards hard work.
Adjunct Professor, Department of Philosophy (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 24, 2014
Not a great place to stay, get paid, or have benefits. I would work here for the rest of my life if it was possible to make a stable living.
Fun environment
Secretary (Former Employee), OWLS Dept.September 22, 2014
Executed all clerical work for a department of eight professors.
Good work enviornment
Accounting Clerk III / Loan Officer/Collector (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXSeptember 2, 2014
I enjoyed working in the university setting and having the opportunity to work directly with students and their families. I enjoyed the benefits of having both a spring break and Christmas vacation. This schedule afforded me the time to spend with my family when public schools closed for vacation. I was able to earn both sick and vacation time each – more... month. I worked with a great group of co workers. I retired at the end of 19 years. Made friends that will remain friends for the rest of my life. – less
Great Position for Students
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXAugust 18, 2014
The scheduling was random so one needs to have an open schedule. They worked well to accommodate with school schedule and other schedules.
Went to school full time
Helped Teacher (Former Employee), San Marcos, TexasAugust 12, 2014
School full time. Almost done with major in Education. Have a Minor in History. Worked in Curriculum and Instruction Block classes in Fall 2012 - Spring 2013.
Helped Cooperating Teacher grade papers, give instruction, and classroom management.
Education/public sector environment
Director, Office of Continuing Education (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXAugust 10, 2014
Promoted to position after national search and served as Director for the Office of Continuing Education. Supervised staff, monitored department budget, evaluated return on investment of all programs to ensure educational competence and fiscal sustainability, and developed annual goals and objectives.
High-Energy Environment with Strong Emphasis on Work-where-you-Live
Resident Assistant (Current Employee), San Marcos, TexasAugust 10, 2014
Pros: all-expense paid-for room and board per semester of employment
Cons: lack of professionalism and weak leadership from management
Everyday work ethic depends on your own responsibility to work hard and complete necessary tasks related and not related to your job. The oversight is limited and an extreme amount of responsibility and privilege is provided to better participate in your work. Co-workers are generally similar types of people, all very leader-oriented, outspoken, and – more... have a strong work ethic. The environment lacks the same professionalism found at many other organizations; however, this liberal culture allows for high-energy and a great deal of innovation in standard operating procedures, operational strategy, and strong morale. I learned to balance my work with my life very effectively due to the job's requirement that you must live in the dorm (residence hall) where you work. I also learned to work with many different types of people, effectively communicate ideas and work through harsh conflicts due to the job's emphasis on conflict resolution. – less
Exciting
Director of Development & Corporate Relations (Current Employee), Austin, TexasAugust 6, 2014
Pros: very dynamic and i was encouraged to be creative
Cons: lots of travel and some late nights
Texas State University is bursting with opportunity and change. It has a dynamic culture of new and old which comes with its challenges and rewards. I worked with the executive team on various occasion and I find them to be supportive, risk takers, and diligent. I managed the corporate relations at the university. My task was to develop strategic partnerships – more... between corporations and the university. The partnerships varied in industries and driven by the corporation's needs. I had a great supporting staff and I enjoyed my interactions. The most challenging aspect of job was training the faculty to hold meetings and keeping them on track to optimize our time during the meeting. I also found it challenging to climb the ladder in terms of reaching true decision makers. However, I enjoyed the relationships I build as well as cultivating new prospects and moving them from prospects to partners. – less
excellent benefits, great environment
User Services Consultant II (Current Employee), san marcos, txJuly 25, 2014
excellent learning environment
management is great and encouraging
co-workers are friendly
Great, Great, Great
Hearing Impaired Captionist (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXJuly 23, 2014
Pros: student pay, flexible schedule, manager
Cons: heat, weight of equipment
While working with the ODS department of Texas State, I enjoyed working with the hearing impaired and helping them with note taking through a type-to-text way of doing things.

The only hard thing about this position was the weather. We all know that Texas State is no joke when it comes to hills, steps, and heat. It's like nothing you have ever been – more... through. The backpack that you have to carry the equipment in starts to get heavier but it works out if you happened to skip the gym that day like I did so often with school and work.

The management was perfect. She was always willing to work with my schedule and anything else that would spring up with the busy life of a hard working student.

It's also one of the top paying jobs that you can get on campus. Who wouldn't want to sit and type and learn a new subject that you get paid for? It's a no brainer. It's almost like getting two degrees (well concentrations) for the price of one. I was able to learn about art, history, British literature and even SPED by just sitting and typing and helping the hard of hearing to take notes.

Great position. – less
Great work environment and incredible work experience overall.
Student Support Services Resident Assistant/Mentor (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXJuly 22, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, free meals, free room and board, on campus.
Cons: long hours
After having worked for Texas State University for the past 4 years of my undergraduate career, I have to say it is an incredible place to work. My typical day at work was from 6am till 5:30, then after hours in dormitories with my students. My co-workers are very enthusiastic and fun to work with! The hardest part of my job is the long hours, however, – more... I love everything about it. – less
TX State
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXJuly 11, 2014
For graduate students, a position as an IA is the way to go. It is wonderful to work in academia while assisting professors and contributing to the education of undergraduates.
Supervisor (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXJuly 7, 2014
Great place to work at in San Marcos. Friendly people and great customer service.
Excellent student job
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXJuly 3, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: low pay, no benefits
A typical day involved helping students and faculty/staff with any number of different computer and administrative-type problems. We were front-line tech support for the entire university. I learned adaptability mostly. Having to support a constantly shifting array of programs and processes makes you good at learning new concepts quickly and efficiently. – more... The IT management was great, but hindered by the controlling bureaucracy of the school management. The best part of the job was being able to help technophobes with their problems and teach them that technology isn't all bad. My co-workers were a blast too. – less
Enjoyable job for Full-time College Students
Textbook Clerk (Former Employee), San Marcos, TX 78666June 27, 2014
Pros: best atmosphere i've ever worked in, educational atmosphere, great management and kind-hearted people.
Cons: the pay was minimum wage--which is fine if you're a college student and don't have much to pay for, but it doesn't work out after graduating.
I enjoyed working at the University Bookstore a lot. I'd arrive for my shift, most of the time I was in the Warehouse so I was in charge of making sure the ISBNs on the textbooks matched up with the requested shipping lists, packaging and shipping off boxes of books to other institutions or publishing companies. I was in charge of maintaining the textbook – more... inventory as it fluctuated with the constant outgoing and incoming shipments of textbooks depending on what was going to be used for a course the following semester. I learned a lot about data entry and maintaining accuracy as well as physical safety when dealing with 70-80lb boxes of textbooks. I also assisted students in finding the textbooks they needed for their courses, or supplemental texts that would aide them in succeeding in their courses. The management was amazing. I loved all of my managers and all of my co-workers. It was such a friendly environment comprised of funny, considerate people and we really did all we could do to help one another out the entire time I worked there--we were very cohesive as a team. The hardest part of my job was strictly the physical labor that was involved. In this case, however, I was technically titled "textbook clerk"--when in actuality, I volunteered myself to work primarily in the Warehouse dealing with shipments and packaging. The heavy lifting was the most difficult part for me, but it was also beneficial because while I was being productive at work I was simultaneously working out! I really loved everything about that job and I was sad to leave it. I had to leave because the position is only offered to current Texas State students and when I graduated in May, I lost that position. – less
wasnt a job
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXJune 20, 2014
was ok...a bit of a fraternity club. It was not too pleasant to be a part of the ASG
Challenging and interesting work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXMay 27, 2014
Pros: fun work, good environment, challenging work
Cons: not enough hours
I really enjoyed working here because my work was always a challenge and I had the opportunity to help other while at work. Sometimes I had down time, which I was able to use to study, and my bosses were fine with that. It was a great work environment and was like another family at work.

1 2 3 4 5