Texas State University Employee Reviews

Laid back environment
Student Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 1, 2017
Easy going work environment that is perfect for a full time student. Enough downtime for the employee to work on homework while working. Also it gave the opportunity to engage in more student activities on campus.
Fast growing research university
GRADUATE INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Electrical EngineeringJune 22, 2017
Texas state is a fast growing research university, the engineering program is very good. they have rich curriculum with awesome professors who are always ready to work with you.
Great place to live
Coach (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 20, 2017
Enjoy San Marcos, Location and things to do are great. School is growing very fast. Worked long hours, very little support for athletics. Recruiting was enjoyable.
Good for the graduate students
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 19, 2017
Valuable to be part of Texas State as a Graduate Student. Assisted professors in lab and grading. I learned to interact with the students and to work in an academic environment professionally.
This is a University
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 15, 2017
As a university it pays fairly low to graduate students.

It pays a minimum amount but doesn't wavie health insurance or tuition fees.
If they want more students they have to hire Research professors with industry connection, good students
Pros
Normal pressure
Cons
Bad Curriculum, Bad Pay, Bad Insurance
University setting
Texas (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 14, 2017
Not a permanent job but great place to work if you are a student. Very flexible schedule. Work with your professor's in a laboratory setting provides a great deal of clarity to your classes.
fun internship
Editing Professional Publications Internship (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 13, 2017
This internship was in place of writing a thesis. It was fun and enjoyable and I learned a ton about the field of technical communication and a job that uses my skills.
Pros
real expereince
Cons
not for a company
Work study
Greenhouse and Garden Manager (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 12, 2017
Great place to work and get my education. Learned alot about management and working with college students getting ready to embark on the world and workforce. Hopefully so of what I taught them stays with them throughout their working lives.
Pros
Everything!!!
Cons
Graduated had to leave
Fun and relaxed workplace
instructional assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 11, 2017
It was a relaxed work environment, but also very professional. Working alongside and for Dr.'s in the field was very illuminating. Everyone was very open-minded and welcoming.
Pros
taco tuesday in the faculty lounge and other free food
Cons
very demanding schedule
Relaxed but limited growth potential
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 10, 2017
I enjoy my job and my coworkers. The work to life ratio is pretty balanced.

However, room for advancement is pretty limited and the hiring process is plagued with nepotism. If you don't know someone, you simply aren't getting hired.
Fun student job
SUPPLEMENTAL INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 10, 2017
Encouraged student involvement with tutored students and local organizations. Allowed room to grow in public speaking, organization, and networking among professors.
Pros
having office hours
Cons
attending classes you've already taken again
Good
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 9, 2017
It was a good place to have a first job experience which became more useful than my degree. Definitely flexible and secure as long as you did your job.
Great Environment
Advertising Major (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 7, 2017
I absolutely loved attending Texas State. It was a big move for me, but I fell in love with San Marcos when I visited. if you want to experience college with a diverse group of students who are all willing to work hard and achieve their goals, this is the place to be.
First Impression Team member
Student Worker (UAC) (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 6, 2017
A typical day consist of answering the phones and assisting students and parents with scheduling advising appointments. My first desk job. I learned how to work computer software like Banner and Excel. The job had down time between calls, during this tines it was best to tidy up the work area. Also, management was very flexible with scheduling.
Marketing coordinator for 1.5 years.
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 5, 2017
Great place to work, develop your skills and grow as a professional. I enjoyed working there, the work environment is great. The process to get projects approved can be a little long but at the end, everyone works together for the success of the projects.
Great place to work and study !
Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 5, 2017
I am very thankful to be a Texas State alumni. And to have been able to give piano lessons at the practice rooms. The university gave me unique opportunities to advance in my musical career. I had superb teachers who have impacted my life in the years to come!
Pros
affordable tuition, great teachers, nice campus
Cons
not an Ivy league school
Academic and Professional growth
Graduate Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 1, 2017
There is no typical day when dealing with undergraduate students. I could have 5 emails of 500 depending on the point in the semester. The faculty is very helpful and wants all of their assistants to succeed. They work diligently to make sure we are getting the most out of our experience. The work environmental can be stressful, but is fairly relaxed. The most difficult part of this job is knowing when to say no. Often times we can forget that we too are students as we become so consumed with the tasks that surround this job. I enjoy the camaraderie that is built between other assistants and professors in the office.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 31, 2017
Great place to work, professors are fantastic to work for and are great and kind managers, challenging but do-able work, fast paced work at times, good time off policy.
Pros
Professors are your manager
Cons
Great environment and campus life
STUDENT INVOLVEMENT ASSOCIATE- ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 30, 2017
Texas State provides students with a great campus life and opportunity to grow in their desired field and interest. Working on campus all four years proved to be an overwhelmingly positive experience and truly helped me keep balanced in my school life and personal life.
Great for academics needing supplemental income
Instructional Assistant of Biology (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 30, 2017
I was employed for the university while I was attending as Master's student. I was a TA for the Bio Department and I really enjoyed my time there. Most professors allowed me to create my own method of delivering the required lab materials and one even let me develop the curriculum for subsequent semesters. It is an incredibly self-driven position with little to no training, so be prepared to feel a little incompetent if you don't have any teaching background. Teaching undergrads definitely helped me become a better leader and communicator and helped me master the subjects I considered myself an expert in by forcing me to consider the underlying concepts and theories in ways that could delivered and understood by people with zero background in the respective subjects.