Texas State University

Texas State University Employer Reviews

Great, Great, Great
Hearing Impaired Captionist (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXJuly 23, 2014
Pros: student pay, flexible schedule, manager
Cons: heat, weight of equipment
While working with the ODS department of Texas State, I enjoyed working with the hearing impaired and helping them with note taking through a type-to-text way of doing things.

The only hard thing about this position was the weather. We all know that Texas State is no joke when it comes to hills, steps, and heat. It's like nothing you have ever been – more... through. The backpack that you have to carry the equipment in starts to get heavier but it works out if you happened to skip the gym that day like I did so often with school and work.

The management was perfect. She was always willing to work with my schedule and anything else that would spring up with the busy life of a hard working student.

It's also one of the top paying jobs that you can get on campus. Who wouldn't want to sit and type and learn a new subject that you get paid for? It's a no brainer. It's almost like getting two degrees (well concentrations) for the price of one. I was able to learn about art, history, British literature and even SPED by just sitting and typing and helping the hard of hearing to take notes.

Great position. – less
Great work environment and incredible work experience overall.
Student Support Services Resident Assistant/Mentor (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXJuly 22, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, free meals, free room and board, on campus.
Cons: long hours
After having worked for Texas State University for the past 4 years of my undergraduate career, I have to say it is an incredible place to work. My typical day at work was from 6am till 5:30, then after hours in dormitories with my students. My co-workers are very enthusiastic and fun to work with! The hardest part of my job is the long hours, however, – more... I love everything about it. – less
TX State
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXJuly 11, 2014
For graduate students, a position as an IA is the way to go. It is wonderful to work in academia while assisting professors and contributing to the education of undergraduates.
Supervisor (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXJuly 7, 2014
Great place to work at in San Marcos. Friendly people and great customer service.
Excellent student job
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXJuly 3, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: low pay, no benefits
A typical day involved helping students and faculty/staff with any number of different computer and administrative-type problems. We were front-line tech support for the entire university. I learned adaptability mostly. Having to support a constantly shifting array of programs and processes makes you good at learning new concepts quickly and efficiently. – more... The IT management was great, but hindered by the controlling bureaucracy of the school management. The best part of the job was being able to help technophobes with their problems and teach them that technology isn't all bad. My co-workers were a blast too. – less
Enjoyable job for Full-time College Students
Textbook Clerk (Former Employee), San Marcos, TX 78666June 27, 2014
Pros: best atmosphere i've ever worked in, educational atmosphere, great management and kind-hearted people.
Cons: the pay was minimum wage--which is fine if you're a college student and don't have much to pay for, but it doesn't work out after graduating.
I enjoyed working at the University Bookstore a lot. I'd arrive for my shift, most of the time I was in the Warehouse so I was in charge of making sure the ISBNs on the textbooks matched up with the requested shipping lists, packaging and shipping off boxes of books to other institutions or publishing companies. I was in charge of maintaining the textbook – more... inventory as it fluctuated with the constant outgoing and incoming shipments of textbooks depending on what was going to be used for a course the following semester. I learned a lot about data entry and maintaining accuracy as well as physical safety when dealing with 70-80lb boxes of textbooks. I also assisted students in finding the textbooks they needed for their courses, or supplemental texts that would aide them in succeeding in their courses. The management was amazing. I loved all of my managers and all of my co-workers. It was such a friendly environment comprised of funny, considerate people and we really did all we could do to help one another out the entire time I worked there--we were very cohesive as a team. The hardest part of my job was strictly the physical labor that was involved. In this case, however, I was technically titled "textbook clerk"--when in actuality, I volunteered myself to work primarily in the Warehouse dealing with shipments and packaging. The heavy lifting was the most difficult part for me, but it was also beneficial because while I was being productive at work I was simultaneously working out! I really loved everything about that job and I was sad to leave it. I had to leave because the position is only offered to current Texas State students and when I graduated in May, I lost that position. – less
wasnt a job
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXJune 20, 2014
was ok...a bit of a fraternity club. It was not too pleasant to be a part of the ASG
Challenging and interesting work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXMay 27, 2014
Pros: fun work, good environment, challenging work
Cons: not enough hours
I really enjoyed working here because my work was always a challenge and I had the opportunity to help other while at work. Sometimes I had down time, which I was able to use to study, and my bosses were fine with that. It was a great work environment and was like another family at work.
Great place
Student Worker (Former Employee), San MarcosMay 21, 2014
Part time job- great management. Allowed a great schedule for a student.
Good job for a graduate student
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXMay 19, 2014
Pros: set your own schedule, work with students
Cons: bulk of work is when you have your own papers due, low pay
If you're a grad student who just needs to survive, this is an excellent job. Most of your hours worked will be when grading tests, so plan around that.
Aide as required for class
Clinical Aide (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXMay 14, 2014
Great graduate students, great atmosphere to learn new clinical skills
good place to work at
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), San Marcos, TexasMay 8, 2014
as a graduate instructional assistant, I have enjoyed my work here at Texas State University
Always a lot to be done, good experience
Graduate Instructional Assistant Math 1311 (Current Employee), San Marcos, TexasApril 29, 2014
Pros: positive feedback from students
Cons: teaching while taking graduate courses is not an easy feat!
There were many different responsibilities, including the following: teaching 5 days a week, holding office hours, grading, lesson planning, making adjustments to students with disabilities, and communicating information to students.

My favorite part of the job was working with students, answering questions, and explaining material in a meaningful – more... way. – less
Outdoor Recreation Field Work
Outdoor Center Associate (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXApril 21, 2014
Pros: getting to be involved in outdoor recreation
Cons: no pay
This was my field work experience and I loved it. My day included managing Sewell Park at Texas State University. My duties included ensuring park and facilities were properly maintained, administration for kayak/canoe rentals, as well as U-Camp. I also was in charge of creating, implementing, and leading various outdoor recreation events such as camping, – more... scuba, rock climbing, and moonlight canoeing/kayaking trips. Unfortunately it was my field work and did not have paid full time opportunities. – less
Supportive to all classifications of students
Testing Proctor (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXApril 20, 2014
Receptive to nontraditional students who are either pursuing an initial career or are transitioning to a new profession. Support from various departments very facilitating.
I like to be productive
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXApril 11, 2014
Enjoy working in a fast pace environment. Working with the public and I'm also a team player.
Fun teaching programming to undergraduate students of different majors
Graduate Instructional Assistant, Grader and Tutor (Current Employee), San Marcos, TXApril 8, 2014
Cons: i just got away fine working here
Teach C++ labs for undergraduate classes of size 20-25.
Tutor and Grade courses Algorithms, Data Structures and C++.
The co- workers are very friendly, kind and helpful
I learned to mange my time better after i started working here
Teach to students of different majors, you want to be cautious not to jump over details.
The fun part is i am able to learn – more... at least one new thing everyday. – less
Productive and smooth university student worker employment
Property management clerk (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXMarch 12, 2014
Pros: consistent hours
Cons: no benefits
Great, smooth workplace; The student worker environment was not stressful. Management was appreciative and flexible. Most enjoyable part of working for a university is the ease of access to work, the hours. Hardest part of the job was performing annual inventory reports.
primary department contact and assistant
FACULTY ASSISTANT (Former Employee), San Marcos, TexasMarch 7, 2014
In a typical day, I would answer numerous phone calls, transfer calls when needed, and assist faculty with any lecture needs.
Beautiful campus
Student (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXMarch 5, 2014
Texas State University was a beautiful campus with lots of trees and water. The campus is in the middle of the hill country of Texas, so it always felt like you were walking up hill everywhere you went. While attending Texas State, I completed the necessary coursework to obtain a BS degree in Biology-Microbiology maintaining anywhere between one and – more... three jobs at a time. I was a peer mentor and tutor at Texas State University for approximately two years. During that time I was awarded Texas State's Tutor of the Year from 2010-2011. I was a math and science tutor at the University and was contacted by San Marcos Baptist Academy in San Marcos to tutor middle school and high school students in the evenings. In the last year of my education, I jumped on an opportunity to participate in biochemistry research at the university. I volunteered as a research assistant for almost a year in the department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. I had to move to Austin and commute to school my senior year, and found a tutoring job in Austin at Mathnasium. I learned a lot about patience, understanding, and perseverance. – less

1 2 3 4