Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Employee Reviews

Great benefits but horrible management
Admin. (Current Employee), Amarillo, TXAugust 17, 2015
Job security and benefits are a great plus however the environment and culture of TTUHSC is horrendous. If you like to work with M.D.'s and Ph.D.'s who treat you as though you know nothing you will love it here.
Excellent experience in every way.
Secretary, Chairman and Faculty Support. (Former Employee), El Paso, TXAugust 7, 2015
Pros: Beautiful people
Cons: Can think of none.
Extremely supportive teams from the bottom all the way to the very top. Very innovative approach to building staff and individual employees.
Not a bad place, more of a stepping stone not a career.
Guard (Current Employee), El Paso, TXMay 3, 2015
Pros: Free Health Insurance
Cons: Finicky people
The management isn't bad but there is very little room for advancement. Good place to go if retiring or if you're just starting out and need experience in the security field.
Teaching/learning facility
Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (Current Employee), TXApril 25, 2015
Texas Tech Ophthalmology has been a wonderful experience.
I have had the opportunity to learn so much from the doctors and have been able to take this knowledge and put it in good use for our patients.
A great place to work
Research Associate (Current Employee), Abilene, TXJanuary 2, 2015
A competitive and challenging place to work with diverse fields.
Most enjoyable part of the job was flexible hours and large scope of research work.
Great place for pharmaceutical research
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Amarillo, TXDecember 11, 2014
Pros: good research facilities and working environment
Cons: remote place away from pharma companies
I investigated pharmacokinetics of anticancer drug in mouse models. It is great place for working and learning.
If you like Drama
Patient Services Specialist (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXDecember 8, 2014
This place is horrible. Management needs to not play favorites, they need to accurately train and actually come to work and do their job.
Productive and knowledgeable environment, that offers much room for career expansion and growth.
Coordinator and ABC4WT/CPRIT Grant Administrator (Former Employee), TXAugust 7, 2014
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is a great place to work. They are always looking for new innovative ways to further ones career and education.
Texas Tech is an excellecent place to work
Accountant for the Montford Unit (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXJuly 7, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: salary increase are difficult to obtain
I have learned a great deal working at a higher education institution.
Started in 2000 and still working.
Great place to work if you're in lubbock
Director of Clinical Informatics (Former Employee), TXJuly 5, 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Hit the door running
Lead Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXJune 22, 2014
Pros: my co-workers and meeting our patients
Cons: 60 hour weeks, not paid for overtime, very low pay
I was over 65 studies, and followed 200 plus patients who were participating on our studies.

I really enjoyed working as a Clinical Research Associate. Every single day was always different. I had privileges – more... at the two hospitals, and the Texas Tech clinic. I worked with wonderful doctors and nurses.

Hardest part of my job was working 60 hours a week and was on call 24/7. I worked in Pediatric Oncology and unfortunately we lost some of our sweet patients. That was tough, but I met incredible patients and their families and friends. Everyone that I worked with were each a true blessing to me. – less
Productive work place
N/A (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXOctober 29, 2013
Pros: healthcare, people in building
Cons: poor management in the last office
My typical work day was Monday - Friday 8 to 5.
I learned very early on that the policy and procedures were put in place for a reason and that the guidelines were to be followed to the letter by all employees. – more... For the years I was employed with TTUHSC a very big part of my job to make sure that the policies were followed in each of the offices that I worked in while I was there.
For the most part I enjoyed the co-workers that I had at TTUHSC. Some thought I followed the policies a little too strict (or by the letter) and that caused some hard feelings.
The most enjoyable part of the job was a sense of accomplishment at the end of each day. – less
Great place for academic/teaching in community medicine
Non-Salary Associate Professor (Current Employee), El Paso, TXOctober 17, 2013
MS do their community medicine rotations with me at Project Vida Health Center
A challenging but rewarding job.
Psychiatric Physician Assistant (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXSeptember 21, 2013
Pros: free dry cleaning, haircuts, shoe shines, and lunch.
Cons: the never-ending mountain of paperwork.
Busy work environment, but generally satisfied employees.
A typical day is assessing new patients and re-evaluating inpatients.
Time management is a top priority since there's always more work to be done – more... than workers to accomplish it. In this aspect, a truly secure job.
Co-workers adjust to the aspect of working in a prison setting and have always been friendly.
The hardest part of the job is trying to keep up with the never-ending mountain of paperwork that needs to be completed.
The most enjoyable part of the job is counseling the prisoners and hoping that one can rehabilitate them in some small way so that their lives will somehow change for the better. – less
Resourceful, Productive, Research oriented organization
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXAugust 8, 2013
Pros: job satisfaction, security
I have worked here as a Research Assistant here for more than an year, and my experience has been 'enjoyable'. The resources and the technology, and modern instrumentation, guided by the extensive experience and knowledge of my instructors, have made my learning experience valuable and productive. It has definitely helped my ability to be thinking on a scientific perspective.
Great people who provide great services.
Instructor (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXJuly 12, 2013
Great people who provide great services to patient populations.
Work environment provided a wealth of experiences in so many fields.
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJune 17, 2013
Pros: long lunches on fridays, learning a lot about my health as a woman, meeting interesting people.
Cons: long hours
A typical day consisted of caring for a variety of OB/GYN patients. The department consisted of different specialties so there was never a dull moment always something new.I had to learn Spanish since – more... 95% of the patients were Hispanics.At first my co worker were intolerant and some times down right mean to wards me, since I was not bilingual and had very little experience:got hired straight out of school.The hardest part of the job was not being able to communicate with the patients and getting little assistance from my co workers.I didn't let them get me down, I learned Spanish.
The best part of the Job was seeing the patients returning with their new born or seeing an elder woman smile at me and saying thanks for making their experience at the clinic a pleasant one. – less
Secure, professional position with state agency.
Medical Secretary (Current Employee), El Paso, TexasApril 3, 2013
Pros: training and continued education
Cons: no flex available
I love working for Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine.
Productive and Fun Place
PhD Candidate (Current Employee), Amarillo, TXDecember 26, 2012
TTUHSC offers a unique isolated research environment, where there is complete freedom for upcoming scientists like me. Working atmosphere is wonderful with chances to interact with students, postdocs & – more... faculty every single day. I have learned how to enjoy research and discussing it with others helped me get valuable suggestions in exchange. Faculty here are very helpful and are available round the clock to address any difficulty. – less
Great place to work!
Medical Research Technician III (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXMay 5, 2012
Staff are given private offices and manage the routine day to day account management.

Researchers have multipdisciplinary teams of people that due research with grant money from prestigious organizations such as the NIH