Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Employee Reviews

Inexperienced Managers, Favoritism, Zero room for Advancement
Other (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 6, 2016
I've been here for about 4 years now and still have not moved up, I've applied to higher positions. I've tried moving up the corporate ladder. It just seems impossible. There's too much favoritism, gossip, rumors, speculations, micro managing, inexperienced management. I don't recommend anyone investing any time with Texas Tech
Pros
Insurance and benefits
Cons
No Advancement, Favoritism, Very difficult to get a raise
Advancement of young women
Community Partner Liaison/Director (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TX 79106June 27, 2016
Good management experience to engage mothers and daughter to promote Girl Power programs. Job required being away from my family 2 weeks out of the month.
Pros
Program Management
Cons
Always on the road
pay is very low regardless of experience and education
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 17, 2017
employees are not appreciated nor valued. You cannot promote based on your work skills or experience. Unfortunately it's about WHO you know and not what you know.
Pros
"free healthcare"
Cons
everything else
Busy place back in the day
Medical Records Specialist IV (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 14, 2016
It was such a busy place when I worked there. I am a patient there now and the people that work there now have no clue how easy they have it today. We had several jobs we had to do.
Pros
Loved the nurses
Cons
Drs weren't always in a great mood
Great benefits-great experience
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 27, 2015
The Texas Tech Health Sciences Center is a great place to work overall. They offer great benefits and have a pretty good atmosphere. I enjoy my job for the most part. I will say that some of the people they have in leadership, should not be in leadership, though. They do not reflect the correct character of a leader and I think that politics can influence where people are placed too often. This affects people who are lower on the scale, such as myself. I believe that the leadership could use some work, but other than that, it is a great place to work!
Great benefits but horrible management
Admin. (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 17, 2015
Job security and benefits are a great plus however the environment and culture of TTUHSC is horrendous. If you like to work with M.D.'s and Ph.D.'s who treat you as though you know nothing you will love it here.
Not a bad place, more of a stepping stone not a career.
Guard (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 3, 2015
The management isn't bad but there is very little room for advancement. Good place to go if retiring or if you're just starting out and need experience in the security field.
Pros
Free Health Insurance
Cons
Finicky people
A challenging but rewarding job.
Psychiatric Physician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 21, 2013
Busy work environment, but generally satisfied employees.
A typical day is assessing new patients and re-evaluating inpatients.
Time management is a top priority since there's always more work to be done than workers to accomplish it. In this aspect, a truly secure job.
Co-workers adjust to the aspect of working in a prison setting and have always been friendly.
The hardest part of the job is trying to keep up with the never-ending mountain of paperwork that needs to be completed.
The most enjoyable part of the job is counseling the prisoners and hoping that one can rehabilitate them in some small way so that their lives will somehow change for the better.
Pros
Free dry cleaning, haircuts, shoe shines, and lunch.
Cons
The never-ending mountain of paperwork.
Work environment provided a wealth of experiences in so many fields.
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 17, 2013
A typical day consisted of caring for a variety of OB/GYN patients. The department consisted of different specialties so there was never a dull moment always something new.I had to learn Spanish since 95% of the patients were Hispanics.At first my co worker were intolerant and some times down right mean to wards me, since I was not bilingual and had very little experience:got hired straight out of school.The hardest part of the job was not being able to communicate with the patients and getting little assistance from my co workers.I didn't let them get me down, I learned Spanish.
The best part of the Job was seeing the patients returning with their new born or seeing an elder woman smile at me and saying thanks for making their experience at the clinic a pleasant one.
Pros
long lunches on Fridays, learning a lot about my health as a woman, Meeting interesting people.
Productive work place
N/A (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 29, 2013
My typical work day was Monday - Friday 8 to 5.
I learned very early on that the policy and procedures were put in place for a reason and that the guidelines were to be followed to the letter by all employees. For the years I was employed with TTUHSC a very big part of my job to make sure that the policies were followed in each of the offices that I worked in while I was there.
For the most part I enjoyed the co-workers that I had at TTUHSC. Some thought I followed the policies a little too strict (or by the letter) and that caused some hard feelings.
The most enjoyable part of the job was a sense of accomplishment at the end of each day.
Pros
Healthcare, people in building
Cons
Poor management in the last office
Good work environment, poor management
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 19, 2015
Good, clean work environment and co-workers were overall friendly and easy to get along with. Management was often elusive and non-communicative when presented with a problem.
Pros
Good work environment
A great place to work
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 2, 2015
A competitive and challenging place to work with diverse fields.
Most enjoyable part of the job was flexible hours and large scope of research work.
Texas Tech is an excellecent place to work
Accountant for the Montford Unit (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 7, 2014
I have learned a great deal working at a higher education institution.
Started in 2000 and still working.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
Salary increase are difficult to obtain
Productive and knowledgeable environment, that offers much room for career expansion and growth.
Coordinator and ABC4WT/CPRIT Grant Administrator (Former Employee) –  TXAugust 7, 2014
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is a great place to work. They are always looking for new innovative ways to further ones career and education.
Hit the door running
Lead Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 22, 2014
I was over 65 studies, and followed 200 plus patients who were participating on our studies.

I really enjoyed working as a Clinical Research Associate. Every single day was always different. I had privileges at the two hospitals, and the Texas Tech clinic. I worked with wonderful doctors and nurses.

Hardest part of my job was working 60 hours a week and was on call 24/7. I worked in Pediatric Oncology and unfortunately we lost some of our sweet patients. That was tough, but I met incredible patients and their families and friends. Everyone that I worked with were each a true blessing to me.
Pros
My co-workers and meeting our patients
Cons
60 hour weeks, not paid for overtime, very low pay
Great place to work!
Medical Research Technician III (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 5, 2012
Staff are given private offices and manage the routine day to day account management.

Researchers have multipdisciplinary teams of people that due research with grant money from prestigious organizations such as the NIH
Productive, fun, healthy atmosphere. Awesome administrators then.
TTUHSC, Lubbock (Former Employee) –  Fin Aid Advisor II, Hazlewood Act Ofcr, Vet CoordNovember 6, 2011
Top notch administrators, colleagues, students, and faculty.
Pros
professionalism and integrity
Cons
advancement required degree, even though performed job duties as interim.
It was a very nice place to work for.
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  TXMarch 21, 2012
IT was a fun and very gsuy place and I meet lots of people, am a peopl perso and I would do it again.
Pros
na
Cons
good benefits
If you like Drama
Patient Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 8, 2014
This place is horrible. Management needs to not play favorites, they need to accurately train and actually come to work and do their job.
Excellent experience in every way.
Secretary, Chairman and Faculty Support. (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 7, 2015
Extremely supportive teams from the bottom all the way to the very top. Very innovative approach to building staff and individual employees.
Pros
Beautiful people
Cons
Can think of none.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Reviews by Job Title