Texas Tech University Employee Reviews

Research
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  TXMarch 28, 2015
At the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, I have the opportunity to explore the excellent facilities of the departments under the guidance of expert faculty members using the latest cutting edge technologies. Lab exposure during the doctoral study was helpful for me to fine tune my research interest towards dissertation. The reason for selecting this school for my further study is multifaceted. First of all, at this school I found the perfect match of my research interest in different laboratories
Secondly, the graduate program is lead by internationally reputed faculties, which provided me with the basic knowledge and academic skills in addition to preparing me for carrying creative and independent research work in my specialized area. The infrastructure and ready access to a variety of research facilities supported to carry out my doctoral level research program suitably at the competitive levels. Thirdly, high academic reputation and nationwide ranking of this institute with significant research publications in reputed journals, research funding from internationally recognized organization like NIH provided me with a high level research environment. The interaction with a variety of international research students aided in synthesizing new ideas. Finally, I believe that the guidance of an internationally reputed faculty during my doctoral study helped me to become a successful researcher to solve many biological puzzles.
The laboratory where I have worked as a doctoral student provided me with various learning environments. I feel proud to be in the
  more... research group where I am currently working. The laboratory environment never makes me feel lonely and I enjoy discussing scientific ideas with my peers.
With all these broad interests and specific goals, I am very much glad to be the graduate student of Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. I believe that it is the best place for anyone to flourish and to achieve my goals. I am confident that my patience and perseverance through many disappointments and small triumphs, my abundant curiosity and my commitment to research work have merited me as a successful scientist at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. I have the vision and the potential to make you proud as an employee.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Comfortable Environment, but Isolating
IT Support Technician (Current Employee) –  TXApril 17, 2014
On a typical day at work, I am sitting in an office without windows in the back of our call center. My main interaction with other people is via phone, and I rarely see or interact with my coworkers. I enjoy speaking to and helping my customers, and I am always willing to serve them and research their difficulties. I have learned a lot of patience and have become more self-sufficient. I work on the knowledge base and keep work orders up to date when customers are not calling.

My management will sporadically try to micro-manage, when for the first few months they chose to not give me any direction or training at all, save for listening to some phone conversations with my coworkers. My management also tends to be very loud and interrupts my phone conversations with customers frequently. This becomes stressful and disrupts the call center greatly.

My co-workers are far more knowledgeable than most of the management and are able to answer my questions and are always willing to assist me and brainstorm with me.

The hardest part of the job is simply getting the day started. After the first call comes in, my job becomes enjoyable. I work and solve problems with my customers and I enjoy helping them.
Pros
benefits and work load
Cons
low pay, management not helpful
Highly productive and interesting work place.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 1, 2015
I work as Graduate Assistant helping the Director of Research Programming in the Vice President of Research Office.

I use Business Intelligence tool IBM cognos for reporting and analyzing research metrics for the university.

I am responsible for ad-hoc report generation either using SQL Developer/ MS Access/ IBM Cognos.

I also need to create and modify reports. I use Oracle Report Builder for achieving this.

Apart from this, I am also responsible for handling the Internal Web Application which is based on Java. I need to develop and maintain the application. The toughest part of my job is to respond as quickly as possible and resolve the issues related to the reports and web application in short span since the application is highly needed by various faculty members and Research department staff for generating reports and Letters.

I have proposed an idea to handle huge amount of data anticipating the future demand. Standard RDBMS to NoSQL migration for better results. This is a pilot project and I am solely responsible for it.

My co-workers are very friendly and helping supporting my education with scholarship.
Pros
Scholarship, Decent Pay.
Fun workplace with many valuable experiences and resources
Center for Campus Life Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 20, 2012
A typical day of work at Texas Tech consists of interacting with fellow coworkers, but also, students, student families, faculty, and other university staff. This gave great opportunity for diversification of customer service. Tasks ranged from general clerical tasks to more involved and unique activities such as helping with social media.

I learned how to utilize a multiline phone system, make registrations and take payments for events and services, time management, and self-confidence.

Co-workers and management were absolutely phenomenal! Fun to be around but always dependable to put out a quality product.

The hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part was being able to work in an environment that fostered independence and growth both as an employee and as a person.
Pros
flexible work hours
Overview
Orientation Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 10, 2012
A typical day at work consisted of answering phone calls of residents, giving tours to new prospective residents, calling and filing maintenance request, and helping out with anything else the manager needed. I learned how to communicate with people on all different levels, as well as come to a common understanding of what management expected out of me. My co-workers were around my same age and we worked well with each other. I would say the hardest part of the job was dealing with angry parents who's children weren't getting exactly what they needed as far as maintenance goes. I enjoyed the laid back environment in which I worked in and also being able to help others out with things that I had no help on when I moved in.
Pros
flexible hours, easy work days, and enjoyable staff
Cons
angry residents/parents, unorganized management, and cleaning up after people moved out
An amazing isntitute for higher education.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 11, 2015
My typical day in helping others understand lifespan human development helps me understand the material from new perspectives through current students. The most enjoyable part my duties ential is the discussions that take place in the context of a test review. The most difficult aspect to the responsibilities associated with this work would be trying to adequately present abstract concepts in a way that is conducive to student-comprehension. The professor I help teach is an amazing woman who helps when needed, and allows me to work with students in my own way. Overall, I have enjoyed the experience. The students are ready to learn and the professor has allowed for great growth both in her current students education as well as my own.
Pros
3.0 hr college credit
Cons
n/a
Jordan/Baten unit is the worst place to work in the world as a nurse.
LVN (Former Employee) –  Pampa TexasSeptember 25, 2012
If you are a nurse you dont get to work as one, the unit clerks have more nursing roles than the actual nurses. And the management cant and wont help you. The Administrator backs and supports the clerks taking nursing roles, and then gossips about all the nurses to other nurses. It is a hostile work environment if you are a capable nurse and dont approve of clerks handing out your medications. If your not a smoker you dont any breaks what so ever. Your co-workers will literally state "we play dumb so we dont have to do anything", so you are left with no choice but to do all the work yourself. So if your a nurse who likes to do nothing then this is the job for you.
Pros
salary and thats it!!!!!!
Cons
no breaks, no management support, long schedule 3 twelve hour shifts followed by 2 eight hour shifts, retaliation
Large University!
Lead Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 29, 2015
I would say that this university is a very diverse in employment opportunities. With as many fields of study and position classifications as this institution has, there is something for everyone.I hire students to work in our department all day and the students, staff and faculty are all very helpful and welcoming. The hardest part of my job is waiting on documents if an employee does not come to our offices with them such as, social security cards, foreign documents supporting their ability to work, etc. . The most enjoyable thing about my job is seeing how excited people are right after they are told that they have been hired. That is a wonderful moment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Limited promotion opportunities in my department
Awesome Collegiate Atmosphere, Great opportunity to network.
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 2, 2013
A typical day at work would consist of patrolling the campus and issuing citations to serve as a corrective deterrent to parking in designated and approved parking facilities. Customer service and education is an area that is focused on daily as well. Management is relaxed and helpful and very open to new ideas and suggestions. My co-workers are very friendly and outgoing. The hardest part of the job for me is the shift that I currently work. I would rather have a job from 8 to 5 or 6pm. The most enjoyable job would be the opportunity to interact with people on a continuous basis and to help them understand how the department works.
Pros
state tuition assistance
Cons
hours
Best Summer Job in College
Ideal Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 2, 2015
Gained an unparalleled chance to work with a number of kids from backgrounds all around the world. Working with students all over the state, even groups from Brazil, I helped guide visiting students to classes, across campus, and in answering questions about college. The program was designed to mentor young students about college, by pairing them with counselors that have or are currently students at the university. My employment here allowed me an opportunity to counsel younger children who might not understand the importance of education for individuals in the globalized world.
Pros
great times, good kids, great benfits, great pay
Cons
long day that turn to long nights, some confusion
Compliance job that worked arounf my school schedule.
Compliance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 20, 2013
Making sure athletes complied with school work and time management issues. I learned that I was able to manage my time and still help others learn how to manage theirs. Management was very understanding and even ended up using my own invention of a self check system. Hardest part of my job was making sure other people held to their own responsibilities. The most enjoyable part was that by being organized and detail oriented I was able to help many other students achieve their goals.
Pros
worked around my schedule, listened to my input, taught me how to better manage my time.
Cons
avaliabilty for hours limited
Benefits and retirement are good. Nursing management is not supportive of staff.
Evening shift charge nurse (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 16, 2015
Being a correctional/psychiatric facility it is challenging. The primary challenge is in balancing the nurse's objective to care for offenders vs. the correctional officer's objective to maintain their custody. The Teacher's Retirement is the best benefit provided. There is really a very limited opportunity for growth and the pay is substandard especially with the safety issues and potential for danger in the workplace.
Pros
Retirement package is good and 1 meal a day provided if desired
Cons
Lack of support of nursing by administration and substandard pay
Evaluating college transcripts is great and challenging
Senior Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 24, 2015
Great place to work and supportive management
Work well as a team to get the work done, sometimes there are humps to hurl but we manage as a team. Each one of us do the work different but we know at the end of the day as long as the work is done that's all that matters. My colleagues and I all have different strengths and we learn from each other. No, questions is a dumb question, ask if you don't know. The greatest thing about this job, you meet all kinds of people from over the United States and other countries.
Pros
Having outdoor outtings and events that we could all attend.
Cons
Not enough parking
Hmm, prison life
Sr. Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXApril 7, 2013
I never imagined I would work in a prison. I learned so much while I was there and most of it was personal. I learned to not judge people and there's more to the story than what is on the surface. Professionally, I learned better organizational skills and taking notes. My co-workers were great, a few were "interesting". The hardest part of the job was the tight security: no cell phones, everything was searched coming in, just to name a few. But considering the environment, it was accepted.
Pros
got a mile of walking exercise in everyday from parking lot to office
Cons
the above in snowy weather

Comment – April 12, 2013

It was so isolated away from campus and nearby. The feeling is so scared after 4:30 pm. If you come out the facility without windows and get into your car in a big park lot with no body there. What you want to do is just to just run away from here.

Good training, poor pay.
Supervising Instrumentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 14, 2014
I received lots of training in instrumentation and utility plants and was regularly sent to training seminars and classes concerning the equipment I regularly worked on. I learned the basics of instrumentation and how a utilities plant operates. Management was generally knowledgeable, competent and fair. The hardest part of the job was being called out at all hours and on weekends to fix problems. I enjoyed working on the equipment and learning new things.
Pros
excellent training, good stability
Cons
poor pay
Researching at Texas Tech University
Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXApril 26, 2013
As a research assistant, I had to conduct tension tests on cold-worked reinforcing bars and analyze the tensile properties of bars after each test. The whole project thought me how to manage the time, since the duration of testing was so important. As a female engineer, the hardest part was working with long, heavy reinforcements. However, all my hard works were paid off by observing the results. This experience helped me gain more confidence and increased my engineering knowledge as well.
Great internship at Texas Tech University
Mentor/ Intern (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 13, 2014
A typical day would be spent 50% of the time spear heading new ways to quantify data for benchmarking, the other half would be mentoring first generation college students on their collegiate and career paths.

A professional environment, not too stressful, had a down to earth atmosphere and caring with the director.

Hardest part of the job, was completely developing new systems to quantify and benchmark data, something new to me.

I enjoyed developing goals and plans for scholastic progression with my peers.
Interactive and productive workplace.
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXApril 12, 2015
Interaction with prospective students and parents interested in attending Texas Tech University. Ability to serve as an ambassador for the Texas Tech University system and answer questions or concerns of prospective students and parents. Served as a mentor to various audiences, including students, prospective students and parents. Involvement with the University system as a whole was enjoyable, because I was afforded the opportunity to help others pursue their goals and dreams.
Good to work place
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  TXJanuary 28, 2015
I really like here to work at Texas Tech University as a Graduate Teaching Assistant. I learned a lot here for example my teaching ability improved and my knowledge in statistics improved. The management of our Department is simply good. We are very free to talk with advisor and the co-workers are really helpful. The hardest part of the job is doing study and grading papers and tutoring students but its not that much hard. And I more enjoy to tutor students because I'm learning new things from them.
M.A., French Literature and Part-time Instructor (Current Employee) –  TXMay 30, 2014
I used various fun activities, play and interactive activities to develop language and vocabulary among students. This approach of combining play and interactive activities made students to learn with ease, increased their interest and attention on academic learning, helped them to learn letter recognition, helped students to learn numbers, science and nature with ease and interest.

4.5