Texas Tech University Employee Reviews

Great Benefits and job security
Coordinator of NS Programs (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 23, 2017
Texas Tech is a good place to get a foot in the door and then try to move up. Too bad that moving up is almost impossible and the hiring system is slow, non-responsive, or biased.
Good first job.
Lead Athletic Grounds Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 22, 2017
Work is consistent and repetitive. Good employee relations. Learned good customer service skills. Hardest part of the job was dealing with dust storms.
Great Place to work
Tutor and Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 18, 2017
I was a tutor and SI for the learning center at Holden Hall. It was a great job for a student. Flexible hours and a great opportunity to build some relevant experience.
Working with job training for autistic students in Lubbock ISD and Lubbock Cooper ISD
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 16, 2017
Selective training with diagnosed students and follow-up with employers. Use of vocational equipment and job-training modules for application to the workplace.
Pros
Designed one-on-one training allowed measurable evaluations and targetd placements
Cons
Lack of available time per student, scheduling difficulties, consistancy of time on task.
Texas Tech
Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 14, 2017
I enjoyed the people I met while working at TTU, the benefits and vacation are great, but the pay is not ideal. I had to take a major pay cut to work there. Also, there are not many advancement opportunities as well. Overall, working for TTU was a good experience.
Student Assistant
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 13, 2017
Working there is great for a student because there is great flexibility and they work with school schedule. The culture is very relaxed, and everyone is extremely helpful and nice.
Pros
flexible, good hours
Cons
boring work
Learning environment
Sr. clinical assistant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 13, 2017
I learned how to give injections, I did EKG, Worked with residents
its a great place to have the feelings of being a nurse, they give you the proper trainings.
Pros
Great healthcare
Cons
hostile work environment
Excellent
Residency in Psychiatric Medicine (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 12, 2017
I had opportunity for personal and professional growth, the administration worked with doctors to make things work for them and did not micro manage. They were fun loving and provided high quality management.
Pros
everything
Cons
Always felt welcome, great environment
Part Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 11, 2017
I worked in a research lab over the course of approximately 2 years and the graduate students I worked with were super friendly and helpful. I was able to do my experiments knowing that if I had any questions with a procedure or about a piece of equipment, an answer wasn't too far away.
Undergraduate Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 10, 2017
I enjoy working for Texas Tech University. But as a student it is difficult to pay my bills because I am not allowed to work over twenty hours a week.
Pros
Limited hours per week
Cons
Beautiful campus, great people, learning opportunities.
Work life
Central Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 8, 2017
Texas Tech University offers a great work life to personal life ratio. Also, Texas Tech also promotes higher education for its employees by allowing reimbursement as well as a flexible schedule to attend.
Good work experience
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 6, 2017
A typical day is working 8 hours at a cash register. The pay is unfair and the turnover rate of employees is alarmingly high. The managers seem to hate their jobs. This is a stepping stone job.
Research Assistant
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 24, 2017
I only worked with my professor for a semester. I helped to do research on a medical support watch. I got to work with professionals from all across the country to develop the device.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Not a enough communication
A great learning experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 23, 2017
The professors I assisted were all great. Very smart, friendly and cared about my workload, as I assisted several professors simultaneously and pursued my Master's degree at the same time.
Nice place to work at
Programmer Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 23, 2017
It is a nice place to work at. Not a whole lot going on in the city itself, but work is good and the working environment is friendly as well. People are nice too.
Office Politics are rampant
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 23, 2017
I initially thought that TTU was THE place to work but it's not. Office politics have soured the culture TTU wants to portray. Your supervisor will have no idea what they are doing. Management doesn't care if you know what you are doing "if they like you". They will put idiots over a team of people. Work environment takes a toll on your mental and physical health.
Pros
time off
Cons
office politics are bad
Undergraduate teaching assistant
Discussion Leader (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 15, 2017
I can't say much as I worked part-time while getting my BSc in biology at the time but working with other undergraduates and leading discussion sessions for chemistry courses was a fantastic experience in learning to teach and at the same time reviewing information from previous courses.
Pros
Free lunches, positive environment, excellent leadership
Cons
Would have liked more hours to help teach
Quick turnover
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 13, 2017
The other counselors were so fun to work with but the office culture was what made people leave. Which was unfortunate because the work was so rewarding.
Pros
rewarding work
Cons
culture
Poor School
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 12, 2017
The department I worked at has a poor set up, typical work pace was slow and faculties were not totally focusing on research. It would an ideal place for retirement but not for doing research.
Job security
Electrical Engineer-Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 11, 2017
Job security is good, terrible management, promotion is hard to come by unless you are a part of the upper management echelon, life-work balance is excellent, benefits are surprisingly good, job training is great since it is a state institution of higher learning
Pros
Job security, life-work balance
Cons
Management, salary, promotion

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Tech University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4