Texas Tech University Employee Reviews

Friendly place to work with disiversified staff.
Sec.for Chair of Dept. (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXAugust 28, 2015
Pros: Working with young people from all over the world.
Cons: Supervisors with "god" complex.
Interesting job, meeting people from many countries. Learned additional computer programs, managed plane tickets and hotel reservations for incoming faculty, ordered meals from off campus at least once monthly sometimes 4 times for gatherings. Nice co-workers.
Highly productive and interesting work place.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXAugust 1, 2015
Pros: Scholarship, Decent Pay.
I work as Graduate Assistant helping the Director of Research Programming in the Vice President of Research Office.

I use Business Intelligence tool IBM cognos for reporting and analyzing research metrics for the university.

I am responsible for ad-hoc report generation either using SQL Developer/ MS Access/ IBM Cognos.

I also need to create and modify reports. I use Oracle Report Builder for achieving this.

Apart from this, I am also responsible for handling the Internal Web Application which is based on Java. I need to develop and maintain the application. The toughest part of my job is to respond as quickly as possible and resolve the issues related to the reports and web application in short span since the application is highly needed by various faculty members and Research department staff for generating reports and Letters.

I have proposed an idea to handle huge amount of data anticipating the future demand. Standard RDBMS to NoSQL migration for better results. This is a pilot project and I am solely responsible for it.

My co-workers are very friendly and helping supporting my education with scholarship.
Large University!
Lead Specialist (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: Limited promotion opportunities in my department
I would say that this university is a very diverse in employment opportunities. With as many fields of study and position classifications as this institution has, there is something for everyone.I hire students to work in our department all day and the students, staff and faculty are all very helpful and welcoming. The hardest part of my job is waiting on documents if an employee does not come to our offices with them such as, social security cards, foreign documents supporting their ability to work, etc. . The most enjoyable thing about my job is seeing how excited people are right after they are told that they have been hired. That is a wonderful moment.
Productitive and fun work place
faculty (Current Employee), texasJuly 27, 2015
Productive and fun work place. Great staff and team support. A great group of artists with the same mindset who all bring a different skill set to the table.
Freedom, equality, and multi-national working environment.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXJuly 2, 2015
Dry, crisp air and sunny days throughout the entire year provides a healthful and invigorating climate.
The library contains more than over two million bibliographic items, and also provides extensive computing resources for students, faculty, and staff for use.

Cite from TTU website.
Good Place To work
Clinic Office Nurse (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXJune 20, 2015
You stay busy when the students are in session but slow when they are out. I love working with the students. We have some good doctors and Texas Tech takes good care of them
Benefits and retirement are good. Nursing management is not supportive of staff.
Evening shift charge nurse (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXJune 16, 2015
Pros: Retirement package is good and 1 meal a day provided if desired
Cons: Lack of support of nursing by administration and substandard pay
Being a correctional/psychiatric facility it is challenging. The primary challenge is in balancing the nurse's objective to care for offenders vs. the correctional officer's objective to maintain their custody. The Teacher's Retirement is the best benefit provided. There is really a very limited opportunity for growth and the pay is substandard especially with the safety issues and potential for danger in the workplace.
Flexible Schedule
Tutor (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXMay 4, 2015
Work one on one to your students and work between each others schedule. You can learn as you teach and help your students knowledge and to help increase their grades.
Research Assistant
Grad Part Time Instructor (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXApril 30, 2015
International Research Assistant means lot of work for few vacations and low salary. But it s ok compared to other universities.
Well managed, great professors
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXApril 22, 2015
I enjoyed working as a colleague to some of the best literary and education minds I've met--they continually challenged.

I also enjoyed my students and reading their papers--their ideas were always new and refreshing.
productive fun place to work
Admissions/Recruitment (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXApril 22, 2015
meet nice people, had fun. gained experience. can continue education while working. travel was nice sometimes. events coordinated, stressful.
Professional research and work environment
Business Assistant (Former Employee), El Paso, TXApril 17, 2015
A typical day at work involved meeting with the manager to discuss tasks and then working on those tasks the rest of the day. Management was unfair, demanding, and unappreciative. In a research environment, there isn't a lot of interaction with co-workers. The hardest part of the job was not feeling much appreciation for the hard work we put in.
Great Part Time Job
Standardized Patient (Current Employee), Abilene, TXApril 15, 2015
Pros: Great pay
Cons: Long days
As a standardized patient, there were no set work times, and the managers were great to work with. The pay was great. Lunches were always provided. The days were long, but the pay off was great.
Excellent instructors
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXApril 14, 2015
A day at work includes making lectures, presenting technical information and in-flight training.

The best part of the job were the student employees.
Interactive and productive workplace.
Student Assistant (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXApril 12, 2015
Interaction with prospective students and parents interested in attending Texas Tech University. Ability to serve as an ambassador for the Texas Tech University system and answer questions or concerns of prospective students and parents. Served as a mentor to various audiences, including students, prospective students and parents. Involvement with the University system as a whole was enjoyable, because I was afforded the opportunity to help others pursue their goals and dreams.
Fun to work.
Web Application Developer (Current Employee), Lubbock, TXApril 5, 2015
I used to start my day by sending the birthday mail to the people celebrating their birthday by gathering the information from their team members and writing a testimonial, sending across unit. I worked as web developer of for health sciences department. I had a good team to work with. The hardest part used to be the tight deadlines. Most enjoyable part was the work was challenging.
Very good
Student assistant for International student life (Current Employee), TXApril 1, 2015
Texas Tech has been one of the best things in my life and it totally changed the way I look at life. I work as a part-time student worker at the Office of International Affairs and the work here is very professional. Everyone is particular about everything and it made me grow as a professional worker.
Research
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), TXMarch 28, 2015
Pros: NA
Cons: NA
At the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, I have the opportunity to explore the excellent facilities of the departments under the guidance of expert faculty members using the latest cutting edge technologies. Lab exposure during the doctoral study was helpful for me to fine tune my research interest towards dissertation. The reason for selecting this school for my further study is multifaceted. First of all, at this school I found the perfect match of my research interest in different laboratories
Secondly, the graduate program is lead by internationally reputed faculties, which provided me with the basic knowledge and academic skills in addition to preparing me for carrying creative and independent research work in my specialized area. The infrastructure and ready access to a variety of research facilities supported to carry out my doctoral level research program suitably at the competitive levels. Thirdly, high academic reputation and nationwide ranking of this institute with significant research publications in reputed journals, research funding from internationally recognized organization like NIH provided me with a high level research environment. The interaction with a variety of international research students aided in synthesizing new ideas. Finally, I believe that the guidance of an internationally reputed faculty during my doctoral study helped me to become a successful researcher to solve many biological puzzles.
The laboratory where I have worked as a doctoral student provided me with various learning environments. I feel proud to be in the – more... research group where I am currently working. The laboratory environment never makes me feel lonely and I enjoy discussing scientific ideas with my peers.
With all these broad interests and specific goals, I am very much glad to be the graduate student of Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. I believe that it is the best place for anyone to flourish and to achieve my goals. I am confident that my patience and perseverance through many disappointments and small triumphs, my abundant curiosity and my commitment to research work have merited me as a successful scientist at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. I have the vision and the potential to make you proud as an employee. – less
Excellent place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), TXMarch 19, 2015
I have really enjoyed working as a teaching assistant and my whole college experience. I was able to open my students' minds to approaching history in a whole new way. I will always keep Texas Tech as a wonderful place to learn.
Review
Student Assistant at Biology TTU (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXFebruary 27, 2015
Good culture to learn and work within the productive environment. Helping seniors guiding well to move ahead and resolve the problem assigned within time.