Texas Tech University

Texas Tech University Employee Reviews

Fun place to work with many friendly people
Restaurant Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 28, 2016
My time spent working at Texas Tech University was enjoyable. The management was experienced and warm and welcoming to new employees. There are many opportunities to learn on the job.
Pros
Good management, friendly coworkers, fun work environment
Cons
Short breaks, advancement opportunities are rare
Collaborative Teams
Doctoral Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 7, 2016
Typically, many of my interactions are online or via Skype. Though I tend to dislike this form of communication, I have become increasingly adapted to working in this style. When we do meet face-to-face we use the Scrum method to stay productive. We collaborate and ask questions in order to be transparent about where the team is at and where we need to be before a specific deadline. Though this hands off style of management can be cumbersome for those not accustomed to it, I have found that the freedom that this method induces makes my work better in the long run. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing models fit together and being able to connect theory with practice.
Pros
Flexibility at work
Cons
classes mainly formatted for distance students
Combination of second rate technology with lack of professionalism.
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 25, 2016
Easily threatened technical management that sees anyone with skills as a threat. Dishonest management lacks professionalism. The deans are completely backed by a powerless and useless HR department. It is a third rate environment for technical people.
Pros
None that I saw.
Cons
Dishonest and unprofessional management.
A good option for grad school
Graduate Research Assistant for Dr. Amelia Talley (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 19, 2016
Grad school is hard but necessary. Every position is very different and depends on the professor you work for. You often can set your own hours if you work just as a research assistant. Otherwise you might be put in an office or teaching. All the positions are part time and the pay is kind of low but it is how you get into academia. Your coworkers and management can be great, but that depends on where you work, but if you work with them and connect they will be some of the most important support for you.
Terrible place to work with very poor supervisors.
STUDENT SPECIALIST III (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 8, 2016
The was a terrible place to work. Had I known how terrible it would have been I would have stayed at my last job. This job is really a low paying job I found out. When my supervisor informed me that I was being over paid she immediately found every way to get rid of me. The supervisor in this department has little to no knowledge of what to do in this department. Overall this was the un-liked position I have ever had, you don't make any money here because you have to take in-part in the teachers retirement and your checks here are worse than a fast food worker. Texas Tech has all this money and cant afford to pay its employees. Overall if you are applying for the position of Student Specialist III. Trust me you aren't a specialist your the work horse so the management can spend time painting their nails, post their status on social media. Your better off working in fast food. Save your time in applying here because your coming in as entry level so everyone above you gets better personal days off, sick days off and vacation days off. Do not work in this department.
Pros
Health Benefits.
Cons
Poor Upper Supervisor management knowledge
Excellent work culture
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 3, 2016
Excellent place for freshers to work,Got to learn ownership and learnt many new technologies.A must work place for part time
Pros
work life balance
Cons
Compensation
Learning Experience
WEB & CONTENT MANAGEMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 7, 2016
While working at the university level taught me many valuable skills for the workplace, it did not allow for the compensation and benefits that a corporate job can provide.
Good place to start
Programmer Analyst II (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 7, 2016
Slow paced. Good pace to start with. Management is good. They look for people who can stay with the organization for a long time. They believe in building relationships for long.
Some depts are good, some are not
Senior Business Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 27, 2016
It depends on who you work for. Some supervisors are nice and great to work for. Others let their positions of authority go to their heads and they treat everyone under them horrible. My last supervisor just lied and lied and made up all kinds of things about me being a horrible employee, blaming things that the professors did on me. She also documented all of her lies so that after she fired me, one week after my grandmother's funeral, she was able to prevent me from getting unemployment. This department is no longer the same department, it was NHR.

As I said, there are some people who are great to work for and make going to work enjoyable. But the wrong people make everyone around them miserable. I still wished that I worked for HDFS but an employee was hired and she was unbelievable horrible and she ran off the entire clerical staff before moving on to another department to be horrible there as well. She made everyone completely miserable.

I had some great supervisors in the University Library and some that were horrible. And a co-worker who was also a pain but not nearly as bad as the co-worker in HDFS. So you just never know about who you are going to end up working for, a monster or a sweet person. My last boss in NHR, they seemed to encourage and reward horrible behavior, including the Dean's office of COHS. Extremely pathetic, they are the college of Human Sciences and it was the Hospitality department that was my worst nightmare.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Can be a great place to work at, depending on supervisor and co-workers
Fun, open environment filled with a lot of surprises
Intramural Official (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 22, 2016
Each day at work brought on a new challenge and a new chance to make someone's day a bit better. I learned how to handle a variety of people with vastly different attitudes towards both me and the sports they played. Some people were a bit too serious, while others were completely laid back. Being an official for more than one season has helped me learn how to deal with tough situations on my own or with the assistance of one other person. My co-workers were always talkative, open, and friendly. They also never minded lending a helpful when needed. The hardest part of my job was having to deal with extremely difficult people who were also sore losers. The best part of my job was being able to participate in such a fun environment.
Pros
Get to be active and interact with various amounts of people
Cons
No breaks between shifts

Want to know more about Texas Tech University?

Ask a question
Flexible Schedule, good work atmosphere, and rewarding job being able to help other students.
SI Leader for Financial Accounting (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 4, 2016
Texas Tech University's Supplemental Instruction program is a great place to work if you really love the subject you teach. Being a supplemental instruction leader, I attend the weekly accounting classes, and hold 2 review sessions a week for financial accounting. I create review packets for the sessions to help the students learn and follow along.
Pros
I stay current with basic accounting skills
Good Team work, Productive
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 16, 2016
Co workers were very friendly.
Very productive, Good opportunities and encouragement to learn new technologies and methodogies
Pros
work Culture
Cons
Strict Deadlines
Productive and fun workplace
Student Assistant - Transition and Engagement (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 10, 2016
I most enjoyed this position because it allowed me to gain hands-on experience in a variety of areas. All of the staff is dedicated to student success and will do whatever it takes to ensure that students are able to get involved and enjoy their time at Texas Tech while preparing themselves for the real world.
Great place to learn and work at the same time
Sr. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 10, 2016
I loved my time at Texas Tech. Typical 8-5 job but the day was so packed with helping students that the time flies so fast. Throughout my time at TTU, I was able to grow knowledge in student financial aid. Im very grateful to have worked at such a prestigious university who are always making sure their students, faculty and staff are well taken care of.
Great school offers great programs
Programmer Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 17, 2016
An unbelievable place to get a perfect education.

Very knowledgeable faculty members, availability and a cool place. It has great library, Health Science center, and much more. The courses it offers offered very few other school in this state
Laboratory Tech
Graduate Research Assistant - Dr. Robert Shaw (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 6, 2016
I always felt safe in the laboratory environment and there was always support when it was needed. Very approachable staff.
Pros
safe, competent principal investigators, helpful
Cons
Older instruments used
Research Driven, High Standards
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 3, 2016
The pay could have been better, but for a start I cannot think of a better place. Love the campus. People are friendly. Co-workers were great. School environment.
Intense Work Environment with high expectations
Graduate part-time instructor (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMarch 7, 2016
TTU requires a lot of its employees, granted that many of us are still graduate students with our own work to complete. This job is intensive, requiring hours of grading and preparation each week, but is entirely worth both the experience and the compensation.
Pros
Classroom/Grading Experience
Cons
Frequent Deadlines, Heavy Work Load
Fun and supportive work environment.
Intern (Current Employee) –  Texas Tech Alumni AssociationNovember 26, 2016
A day at work was never the same. I had the opportunity to interact with students and faculty university wide on a daily basis. I really enjoyed my time in this position.
good place to work and study
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 23, 2016
A good place to work and study. Multicultural environment to work. Sunny hot weather throughout the year. If you worked hard the best place to get new experiences.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Texas Tech University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4