Texas Tech University Employee Reviews

I worked as a student assistant
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 29, 2016
i worked as a student assistant in TTU library in circulation department under the supervision of Ms Conni Kitten. TTU Library is a very nice to work.
good place to work and study
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 23, 2016
A good place to work and study. Multicultural environment to work. Sunny hot weather throughout the year. If you worked hard the best place to get new experiences.
Great place to learn and work at the same time
Sr. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 10, 2016
I loved my time at Texas Tech. Typical 8-5 job but the day was so packed with helping students that the time flies so fast. Throughout my time at TTU, I was able to grow knowledge in student financial aid. Im very grateful to have worked at such a prestigious university who are always making sure their students, faculty and staff are well taken care of.
Good college town
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 7, 2016
TTU is placed at a college town and the town is very affordable. However, there are not many industries or job/internship opportunities in this city. Also, no conference or big job fair is held there.
Flexible Schedule, good work atmosphere, and rewarding job being able to help other students.
SI Leader for Financial Accounting (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 4, 2016
Texas Tech University's Supplemental Instruction program is a great place to work if you really love the subject you teach. Being a supplemental instruction leader, I attend the weekly accounting classes, and hold 2 review sessions a week for financial accounting. I create review packets for the sessions to help the students learn and follow along.
Pros
I stay current with basic accounting skills
Research Driven, High Standards
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 3, 2016
The pay could have been better, but for a start I cannot think of a better place. Love the campus. People are friendly. Co-workers were great. School environment.
Loved Working in the Library
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 31, 2016
This was a great job to be by yourself but to also get to interact with other people. It was quiet and peaceful. I would take this job back in a heart beat.
Some depts are good, some are not
Senior Business Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 27, 2016
It depends on who you work for. Some supervisors are nice and great to work for. Others let their positions of authority go to their heads and they treat everyone under them horrible. My last supervisor just lied and lied and made up all kinds of things about me being a horrible employee, blaming things that the professors did on me. She also documented all of her lies so that after she fired me, one week after my grandmother's funeral, she was able to prevent me from getting unemployment. This department is no longer the same department, it was NHR.

As I said, there are some people who are great to work for and make going to work enjoyable. But the wrong people make everyone around them miserable. I still wished that I worked for HDFS but an employee was hired and she was unbelievable horrible and she ran off the entire clerical staff before moving on to another department to be horrible there as well. She made everyone completely miserable.

I had some great supervisors in the University Library and some that were horrible. And a co-worker who was also a pain but not nearly as bad as the co-worker in HDFS. So you just never know about who you are going to end up working for, a monster or a sweet person. My last boss in NHR, they seemed to encourage and reward horrible behavior, including the Dean's office of COHS. Extremely pathetic, they are the college of Human Sciences and it was the Hospitality department that was my worst nightmare.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Can be a great place to work at, depending on supervisor and co-workers
Collaborative Teams
Doctoral Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 7, 2016
Typically, many of my interactions are online or via Skype. Though I tend to dislike this form of communication, I have become increasingly adapted to working in this style. When we do meet face-to-face we use the Scrum method to stay productive. We collaborate and ask questions in order to be transparent about where the team is at and where we need to be before a specific deadline. Though this hands off style of management can be cumbersome for those not accustomed to it, I have found that the freedom that this method induces makes my work better in the long run. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing models fit together and being able to connect theory with practice.
Pros
Flexibility at work
Cons
classes mainly formatted for distance students
Great learning environments with room to grow.
Facility Coordinator Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 2, 2016
The employers listed have all been great institutions to work for, I enjoyed working along side great people that I continue to stay connected with.

Want to know more about Texas Tech University?

Ask a question
Great work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 28, 2016
A typical work day was attending the class, answering questions from students, and assisting the professor. Also held office hours to help students and grade projects.
Fun place to work with many friendly people
Restaurant Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 28, 2016
My time spent working at Texas Tech University was enjoyable. The management was experienced and warm and welcoming to new employees. There are many opportunities to learn on the job.
Pros
Good management, friendly coworkers, fun work environment
Cons
Short breaks, advancement opportunities are rare
Good Team work, Productive
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 16, 2016
Co workers were very friendly.
Very productive, Good opportunities and encouragement to learn new technologies and methodogies
Pros
work Culture
Cons
Strict Deadlines
Fun, open environment filled with a lot of surprises
Intramural Official (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 22, 2016
Each day at work brought on a new challenge and a new chance to make someone's day a bit better. I learned how to handle a variety of people with vastly different attitudes towards both me and the sports they played. Some people were a bit too serious, while others were completely laid back. Being an official for more than one season has helped me learn how to deal with tough situations on my own or with the assistance of one other person. My co-workers were always talkative, open, and friendly. They also never minded lending a helpful when needed. The hardest part of my job was having to deal with extremely difficult people who were also sore losers. The best part of my job was being able to participate in such a fun environment.
Pros
Get to be active and interact with various amounts of people
Cons
No breaks between shifts
A good option for grad school
Graduate Research Assistant for Dr. Amelia Talley (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 19, 2016
Grad school is hard but necessary. Every position is very different and depends on the professor you work for. You often can set your own hours if you work just as a research assistant. Otherwise you might be put in an office or teaching. All the positions are part time and the pay is kind of low but it is how you get into academia. Your coworkers and management can be great, but that depends on where you work, but if you work with them and connect they will be some of the most important support for you.
Enjoyed my time
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 15, 2016
My time as a student assistant was great, I would honestly recommend it to anyone interested and eligible for the job as a student assistant.
productive place to work in.
General Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 10, 2016
it was a very interesting job. the people here where very helpful and were happy to have me work with them. the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know/meet knew people and individuals and get to interact with them.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 7, 2016
I used to give tutoring services to students freshman and junior years. I tutored Chemistry, Calculus and Physics I. Teaching other students was great and builds a good social network.
Responsible job
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 26, 2016
- No fix schedule of work; it varies according to class times.
- The hardest part of the job is you have to sit at one place for maximum 3 hours and you have to keep looking at computer.
- The most enjoyable part is you can participate in any discussion from recording booth.
Pros
No physical work.
Cons
Short breaks.
Challenging and Varied work
Online Course Designer (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 24, 2016
There is no typical day, as it depends on the projects, meetings and tasks that need to be done on that day. Working here requires that you be self motivated and able to monitor the quality of your own work.

4.4