Texas Tech University Employee Reviews in United States

Fun Workplace
Italian Tutor (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 13, 2015
Great academic environment where I learned Public Relations techniques and the Italian language. Everyone there has a desire to learn.
Great experience
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 17, 2015
This was an unpaid position but being a student teacher teaches you a lot. I would recommend student who are given the opportunity to take advantage of the experience.
Friendly place to work with disiversified staff.
Sec.for Chair of Dept. (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 28, 2015
Interesting job, meeting people from many countries. Learned additional computer programs, managed plane tickets and hotel reservations for incoming faculty, ordered meals from off campus at least once monthly sometimes 4 times for gatherings. Nice co-workers.
Pros
Working with young people from all over the world.
Cons
Supervisors with "god" complex.
Challenging work environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 16, 2015
This was the application development and support department. They worked on many different technologies and there was a lot to learn. Every one was so talented that they are always there to help you.
Highly productive and interesting work place.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 1, 2015
I work as Graduate Assistant helping the Director of Research Programming in the Vice President of Research Office.

I use Business Intelligence tool IBM cognos for reporting and analyzing research metrics for the university.

I am responsible for ad-hoc report generation either using SQL Developer/ MS Access/ IBM Cognos.

I also need to create and modify reports. I use Oracle Report Builder for achieving this.

Apart from this, I am also responsible for handling the Internal Web Application which is based on Java. I need to develop and maintain the application. The toughest part of my job is to respond as quickly as possible and resolve the issues related to the reports and web application in short span since the application is highly needed by various faculty members and Research department staff for generating reports and Letters.

I have proposed an idea to handle huge amount of data anticipating the future demand. Standard RDBMS to NoSQL migration for better results. This is a pilot project and I am solely responsible for it.

My co-workers are very friendly and helping supporting my education with scholarship.
Pros
Scholarship, Decent Pay.
Benefits and retirement are good. Nursing management is not supportive of staff.
Evening shift charge nurse (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 16, 2015
Being a correctional/psychiatric facility it is challenging. The primary challenge is in balancing the nurse's objective to care for offenders vs. the correctional officer's objective to maintain their custody. The Teacher's Retirement is the best benefit provided. There is really a very limited opportunity for growth and the pay is substandard especially with the safety issues and potential for danger in the workplace.
Pros
Retirement package is good and 1 meal a day provided if desired
Cons
Lack of support of nursing by administration and substandard pay
Football Field house
Football Player (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 17, 2015
Every day was a grind. Early mornings and late nights, especially during the season. But I can honestly say it was all worth it in helping to mold the man I am here today.
Great and typical
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXOctober 11, 2015
It your typical student assistant job: decent pay, laid back work environment; however, hours are capped. But overall it was a great place to work.
Great Mom Job
Business Manager/ Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  TXNovember 18, 2014
It is a great mom job. It is hard to learn their systems. Parking you have to pay for but they do pay for your benefits. I learned all the systems in TTU. I enjoy the people and the love for TTU.
Pros
benefits are paid job
Cons
you have to park for parking
Comfortable Environment, but Isolating
IT Support Technician (Current Employee) –  TXApril 17, 2014
On a typical day at work, I am sitting in an office without windows in the back of our call center. My main interaction with other people is via phone, and I rarely see or interact with my coworkers. I enjoy speaking to and helping my customers, and I am always willing to serve them and research their difficulties. I have learned a lot of patience and have become more self-sufficient. I work on the knowledge base and keep work orders up to date when customers are not calling.

My management will sporadically try to micro-manage, when for the first few months they chose to not give me any direction or training at all, save for listening to some phone conversations with my coworkers. My management also tends to be very loud and interrupts my phone conversations with customers frequently. This becomes stressful and disrupts the call center greatly.

My co-workers are far more knowledgeable than most of the management and are able to answer my questions and are always willing to assist me and brainstorm with me.

The hardest part of the job is simply getting the day started. After the first call comes in, my job becomes enjoyable. I work and solve problems with my customers and I enjoy helping them.
Pros
benefits and work load
Cons
low pay, management not helpful

Want to know more about Texas Tech University?

Ask a question
Ok place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 27, 2015
Ok place to work with, pay no good but have stable work, no need to worry about layoff. Work environment is relax, few stress.
A great workplace to learn new and different legal concepts!
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TexasSeptember 1, 2015
I enjoyed my time at Texas Tech. I learned a lot in different areas of law. I received so much exposure to different areas of law and there are too many to list.
Productive, Professional, Friendly
Lead Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 10, 2014
Loved this job more than any other job I've held. Cross training is big there, which gives you experience in other fields and always have opportunity to promote. Management is very understandable with personal issues. Would have never left Texas Tech if hadn't had to.
Pros
mon-fri 8-5 benefits
Productive and professional environment
Music Columnist (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TexasJanuary 25, 2012
At the Daily Toreador for Texas Tech University I was able to work in a professional environment that encouraged the fine tuning of my skills and further enhanced my formal training and education.
Pros
encouraged exposure, good pay, professional, enjoyable
Cons
no healthcare benefits, short deadlines
Freedom, equality, and multi-national working environment.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 2, 2015
Dry, crisp air and sunny days throughout the entire year provides a healthful and invigorating climate.
The library contains more than over two million bibliographic items, and also provides extensive computing resources for students, faculty, and staff for use.

Cite from TTU website.
Excellent employer and university.
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 29, 2012
I spent 8 years at Texas Tech University and it was the most rewarding position I have held to date.
Pros
benefits, culture, advancement.
Productitive and fun work place
faculty (Current Employee) –  texasJuly 27, 2015
Productive and fun work place. Great staff and team support. A great group of artists with the same mindset who all bring a different skill set to the table.
Professional research and work environment
Business Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 17, 2015
A typical day at work involved meeting with the manager to discuss tasks and then working on those tasks the rest of the day. Management was unfair, demanding, and unappreciative. In a research environment, there isn't a lot of interaction with co-workers. The hardest part of the job was not feeling much appreciation for the hard work we put in.
My first job out of military. Very excited to be trained as a Utility plant operator
Utility Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  LubbockJune 7, 2012
Basicly worked shift work. Learned all the different systems within the plant. approx. every 6 months would rotate you to days to be a maintenance mechanic
Pros
state benefits
Cons
unusual hours
Teaching was great there
Lecturer, Department of Mathematics and Statistics (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 17, 2013
Teaching was great there -- but you don't earn very much as a lecturer and receive very little health insurance benefits for yourself and none for your family. Job was flexible.

4.4