Texas Tech University Employee Reviews

I'm a TA, so it's about what you would expect
Teaching/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 11, 2018
I earn enough to get by as a graduate student. The benefits we get are terrible and expensive, and my department really needs to invest in undergrad labs. The quality of undergraduate students that we put out is terrible. When they are successful, so are we, but this institution seems more occupied with quantity than quality.
A good place to work with an Olympic size swimming pool
Professor of Mechanical Engineering (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 11, 2018
On average, I teach 2 courses per semester and supervise2-3 doctoral students per year. I take teaching seriously and enjoy the contact hours with students. Though I enjoy my job as a Professor, I am at a point where there is very little growth opportunity.
Productive competetive work place
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 8, 2018
I had the chance to work under a very nice PI. If there was anything I did not understand, it would be explained thoroughly. I acquired very essential skills that are going to help me in my working life.
Great place to work.
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 5, 2018
Texas Tech is a great place to work with good benefits, friendly staff, and room to learn. The work schedules are flexible enough to allow room for personal emergencies or other reasons.
Toxic work environment for faculty
Professor (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 3, 2018
In my opinion, toxic, backstabbing, political environment at Texas Tech University HCS--El Paso. The faculty are well paid but miserable. Turnover rates exceed 30%. Worst work experience I have ever had and so glad to be leaving.
Pros
Decent pay for faculty
Cons
Very political, rumor mill, horrendously bad leadership
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 2, 2018
Working as a Graduate research assistant as an international student exposed me into the field of research work, working independently and with minimum supervision. I was also exposed to using appropriate software to compile and analyze international data. I will forever value the experience I gained at Texas Tech University.
Student support of agriculture program
STUDENT INTERN (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 1, 2018
Conducted research over multiple species of plants and their genetics. Bred plants in an attempt to refine the genetics and produce favorable genes. Transplanted wild flowers, watered and fertilized to stimulate growth, planted our flowers at the Texas Tech University farm, worked on the university farm weeding and harvesting seed. Cleaned the seed we collected, stored it and made sure it was ready to plant in the spring. The main goal of our research and crossbreeding is to determine which traits thrive in certain environments, and to provide specific varieties of plants or potentially create new ones. New to the profession but learned quickly. Worked thru summers and throughout the year. Demonstrated responsibility and hard work ethic as I co-managed our co-workers and completed numerous tasks other than plant work.

Occasionally helped set up important formal lunches/dinners for prestigious people who provide scholarships and grants to the university for our research.
Pros
Flexible hours
School
Student (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 29, 2017
It was a VA program for Veterans to have the opportunity to return school and pursue a degree. I was offered this chance and took advantage of it. I chose Texas Tech because of it's History program.
Good
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 28, 2017
Very nice culture and people and atmosphere. nice people and great energy and vibes and the place is beautiful. and the views are amazing, The buildings are amazing too. and the pay is decent.
IT is productive and fun to work with people
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 27, 2017
I had an interesting research group. I learn lots of things. We had a weekly meeting in which each student presents his or her work. The professors give constructive comments to students. It was interesting.
Cons
Hard working, some time stressful.
It was everything one could want in a 1st academic job.
Instructor in Government (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 25, 2017
This was over 40 years ago. I was full time temporary and completed some credits for a doctorate. Everyone was extremey supportive despite my lowly status.
Easy paced and fun
Financial Aide Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 22, 2017
Working in the financial aid department was fun and easy paced environment. It was a non stressful job but did require very specific attention to detail. Helping students to find more help was rewarding.
Pros
easy paced enviroment
Productive and professional atmosphere
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 22, 2017
My research work included testing of analog and digital systems in PSPE laboratory. It has been an educational experience and I have gained technical knowledge while working with various types of laboratory equipment.
PSSR SR (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 20, 2017
A typical day the phones on monday always busy. I learned that the patient always comes first. Our management was ok. Hardest part was sometimes we didn't have enough help. Our patients were enjoyable most of them.
Benefits
Had a blast learning Flash Programming
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 15, 2017
I had a blast learning Flash Programming, whilst creating several tutorials for first-year, undergraduate chemistry students. We did this in an attempt to incorporate more use of technology assets in the classroom.
Pros
Lots of creative freedom.
Cons
Not a long enough grant to really accomplish all of our goals.
Its fine
Instructor, German (Current Employee) –  TexasNovember 15, 2017
I was an instructor.

There was some difficulty communicating with supervisor. Peers were great, and students wonderful. I would have happily stayed but as an instructor they prioritized graduate students.
Good Research Opportunities
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 14, 2017
People here care about working as a team. There are many opportunities. There is a range of diversity in the staff and many people come from different backgrounds. Nice place.
Productive and fun workplace
Circulation Student Assistant, University Library (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 10, 2017
I loved working at the library. It was a great job to have as a student. It worked very well with my schedule and I learned valuable skills to help me prepare for my future.
Great place to work, but...
Programmer Analyst IV (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 10, 2017
It depends on your boss. I had a couple of great managers, and then another that was awful. So it just basically depends on you and the interactions you have with your superiors and their attitude towards you.
As a graduate student
Graduate Assistant Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 8, 2017
Texas Tech was a great place to study/work. Not much to do in Lubbock, so getting things done was not hard at all. I'm in a unique situation of being a graduate student, so it would be different for a full-time employee.
Pros
Great people, good culture/environment.