THE ALS ASSOCIATION GOLDEN WEST CHAPTER
TITLE: Special Events Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Regional Director of Signature Events & Development
LOCATION: San Francisco
STATUS: Full-time, exempt, 40 hours per week
Under the direction of the Regional Director of Signature Events, the Special Events Coordinator is responsible for supporting two elements of the Strategic Plan – Increasing Awareness and Growing Revenue – which support ALS research funding and client service programs. The position supports these goals through planning, coordinating, and managing the Ride to Defeat ALS® – an annual signature fundraising and awareness-building event in the Greater Bay Area, Drive for A Cure Golf Tournament, and all 3rd party events. The Special Events Coordinator’s job responsibilities are in the areas of fundraising, marketing, volunteer coordination, logistics planning and analysis and support, as described below.
The position is housed in the Chapter’s San Francisco office. It requires some evening and weekend work, local travel and occasional overnight travel.
Fundraising and Marketing:
- Execute fundraising and marketing plans to secure the Ride to Defeat ALS® corporate sponsorships, and team and riders revenue targets, while managing within an expense budget.
- Coordinate and oversee marketing efforts for the Ride to Defeat ALS® (e.g. content for newsletter and participant mailings, fielding calls and inquiries from media).
- Update and revise Ride to Defeat ALS® collateral materials (e.g. written materials, scripts, website, and newsletter articles).
- Implement and execute community outreach strategy, and a year-round team captain cultivation program to increase retention of past participants and increase the number of new fundraising teams and team revenue.
- Manage a “core list” of team captains and riders to build team and fundraising efforts through written and verbal communication (i.e. mailings, phone calls, e-mails, presentations). Qualify and move team captains toward personal solicitation in a coordinated effort with Major Gift staff.
- Plan Ride to Defeat ALS® kick-off and thank-you receptions.
- Chapter liaison and oversight for all assigned 3rd party event activities and ensure execution and communication is in-line with organization’s standards and protocol.
- Producing and meeting fundraising goals for the Drive for a Cure Golf Tournament, including logistical planning; committee management/support; volunteer recruitment; sponsorship development, solicitation, and recognition.
- Build a donor and volunteer base to achieve event revenue goals and enhance public awareness.
Volunteer Management and Coordination:
- Recruit and manage volunteer committee members and provide staff support to key volunteers and volunteer committee.
- Manage primary committee and several sub-committees consisting of key volunteers, board members, and team captains.
Analysis and Support:
- Assist with maintenance of event-related database of riders/teams, make adjustments and answer database-related questions from participants.
- Create event and donor engagement reports, and track and analyze event and donor engagement statistics.
- Negotiate contracts with vendors for Ride to Defeat ALS and Drive for A Cure Golf Tournament.
- Manage all logistical aspect of Ride to Defeat ALS leading up to the event and day-of, including coordinating logistics with volunteer committees.
- Administer, coordinate, and oversee room reservations/site locations. Coordinate set-up, catering, equipment arrangements, and breakdown of all events. Provide on-site event management to ensure satisfactory outcome.
- Coordinate and support other special events and programs as assigned, including assisting in community education and outreach, and major donor cultivation events.
- Attend Chapter events and meetings as required.
- Attend regional ALS Support Groups as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the Chapter’s mission and strategic plan.
- Bachelor’s degree; Marketing or Communications preferred.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in non-profit agency operations; specifically in events, sales/marketing, or equivalent.
- A minimum three years of experience with event production and management; volunteer development and management; public relations; donor cultivation and relations; corporate sponsor cultivation, solicitation, and recognition.
- Ability to manage large numbers of volunteers at different levels of expertise
- Cultivating volunteer and donor relationships
- Increasing team and rider participation
- Proven history of achieving revenue goals.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Able to work independently, as well as part of a team, in an environment involving frequent interruptions, distractions, and strict deadlines.
- Must effectively respond to constantly changing priorities and effectively respond to, and proactively resolve, problems/conflicts as they arise; the ability to “think on your feet” is critically important.
- Must exercise good judgment in prioritizing the scheduling of events; must know when to seek input from supervisor.
- Able to timely and effectively communicate both orally and in-writing to multiple constituencies. Strong follow-up and follow-through required.
- Able to maintain a high-level of integrity and confidentiality in working with sensitive, confidential records and information.
- Demonstrated proficiency with a variety of computer programs in a Windows environment, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Ability to use a donor database (Donor Pro and Convio). Experience using Quark, Illustrator, and/or Photoshop in order to produce program-specific materials, is a plus.
- Self-starter and willing to take initiative.
- Able to work on a team and develop relationships in the community.
- Detail-oriented, efficient, and able to multi-task.
- Access to a car as frequent travel throughout the Bay Area and surrounding geography is required.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to:
PLEASE, NO PHONE CALLS
National Signature Events
The ALS Association
Fax (415) 904-2573
Indeed - 7 months ago