The ALS Association Northern Ohio Chapter is seeking a dynamic individual to expand the services we offer to support people and families living with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease. This position will provide care management support, education and advocacy to families living with ALS in the Northwest/North Central Ohio area (Care Region). Knowledge and experience with progressive disability, physical rehabilitation, home health and end-of-life care required.
The Care Region will cover 13 counties in and around Northwest Ohio (Williams, Defiance, Fulton, Henry, Lucas, Wood, Ottawa, Sandusky, Seneca, Crawford, Erie, Huron and Richland). This is a home-based position. Significant travel to these communities and spending time working directly with people with ALS and their families in their homes and in the community is required.
Position reports to the Director of Care Services located in the Cleveland area. Travel to Cleveland for training and staff development will be periodically required.
Position is part-time, approximately 15-19 hours per week. No benefits are included with this position.
Masters or BA/BS degree in social work preferred. Other allied health professionals with similar experience may be considered.
- Responds to patient and family inquiries for information on ALS or community resources.
- Plans, implements and evaluates programs and services.
- Facilitates access to chapter services resources such as durable medical equipment, assistive technology, educational materials, and respite care resources.
- Provides home visits to homebound people with ALS as needed.
- Advocates for individuals with ALS in accessing healthcare or community resources.
- Plans and facilitates monthly support group meetings as required.
- Provides in-service education programs to local hospice, home health agencies, hospitals, and skilled care facilities.
- Contributes or reviews articles pertaining to ALS management and information for chapter communications.
- Maintains updated information on ALS, ALS specific research, patient care techniques, and equipment.
- Works with other chapter staff as a team member to provide effective services for people with ALS.
- Liaise with Chapter’s board members, advisory council and volunteers in the Care Region.
- Participates in Chapter community awareness, fundraising, and advocacy events held in Care Region.
- Participates in monthly Chapter staff meetings via teleconference as required.
- Participates in continuing education seminars, workshops and conferences as available and necessary.
- Maintains records/files and provide reports as needed.
- Performs administrative tasks as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Masters or BA/BS Degree in social work preferred; 2-3 years’ experience with case management.
- Ability to assess both physical and psychosocial needs of people with ALS and their families based on knowledge of ALS and its ramifications.
- Knowledge of durable medical equipment, durable medical equipment vendors, insurance reimbursement, and the rehabilitation needs of people with progressive disability.
- Knowledge of or capacity for learning about ALS symptom management and treatment options for people with ALS.
- Knowledge of community healthcare resources.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, including computer skills.
- Possesses and expresses a positive attitude toward people with ALS and people with disabilities.
- Ability to function independently within guidelines.
- Skill and experience in working with volunteers and students.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with clients, volunteers, human service professionals, the public and co-workers.
- Skill and experience in interviewing and counseling in a healthcare environment.
- Ability to make decisions, resolve conflicts and manage stress.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of patient and family information.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Flexibility to travel as needed.
- Must own and be willing to use personal car for business travel.
Indeed - 21 months ago