The Academic Advantage Employee Reviews

Pay is very little, no benefits, or job security. No work ethics. Managemant is very poor.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 14, 2012
The academic advantage is not an employer with high values. There is no job security, they fire people for absolutely no reason. They base decisions on personal reasons, the company is very unprofessional. The workplace is not professional at all. You are hired seasonal for almost a year so that they do not have to provide benefits. It is surprising what this company gets away with. They have you sign a lot of documents when they hire you so that they are not liable for anything.
Pros
experience
Cons
no benefits, no job security, no professionalism, bad management, no motivation to improve
Great company to work for - so much flexibility and good pay
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 12, 2012
This is a great job for someone looking for flexible hours. Working as a tutor has been a wonderful experience - personally and professionally fulfilling. It doesn't hurt that Academic Advantage pays fairly well too - at least in my area.

Not much interaction with coworkers, but that's to be expected in this field. It was never a major issue for me. I loved working with the students but it would have been nice to do some professional development or team building with other tutors.

The best part was certainly the flexibility. It made for a very enjoyable work/life balance that gave me time for my own family.
Pros
pay, schedule, non-stressful environment
Cons
good amount of travel/driving around, not much socializing with colleagues
Flexible and Rewarding
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 27, 2012
I've been a teacher for a number of years but was looking for a bit more flexible schedule now that I've had my third child. Economics didn't make sense for me to have children in day care so I found this tutoring job as it had much more flexible hours.

Being a tutor has allowed me to keep the professional fulfillment that I received from teaching but also lets me stay home with my children. The pay from Academic Advantage didn't make up my full salary but it does pay well.

Working as a tutor has really been a tutor-student situation. I don't see other tutors often or the team at Academic Advantage in person, but I don't mind being by myself. I've been lucking in that I've worked with some great students that are really trying to learn and catch up.

Overall, I've appreciated being able to spend time with family while also add some income to our home.
Pros
schedule, pay, no-stress
Cons
not much social interaction outside of that with students
Honest and focus with very good management skills
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 30, 2012
As a elementary teacher I may say that the different cultures into one place have given me a sense of further humanity, specially working with children of different backgrounds has been a real every day challenge because I need to find out methods and strategies to educate them at the same time. With my co-workers I would like to say that we are a team, all together we work for the same purpose and most of the time we get a lot of fun planing lessons which is our everyday responsibility. we learn each other new strategies and techniques to obtain the best possible instruction to students. The hardest part of the job I think is nothing at all, because when you like what you are doing everything comes spontaneously. the most enjoyable part of the job for me is everything, I love what I do and this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.
Pros
working and teaching children
Cons
short breaks
Great co-workers make for amazing workplaces.
Call Center Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2013
I really enjoyed the people I worked with. It really makes a difference when you work with people who truly care about each other and what they do. It was a stressful place to work at due to on going campaigns but I love working under pressure so it wasn't a deal breaker. I left because I didn't feel there was anymore room for growth. However I enjoyed the ride while it lasted! :)
Pros
The breakrooms have cable, a wii to play with & there is a lot of sitting space.
Cons
Most positions are temp. I was lucky to get a fulltime position with benefits.
Company did not pay me on time. Many issues.
English and Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 19, 2014
I had filled all my paperwork out correctly but the company did not pay me on time and always had "missing paperwork" which I turned in. I had to dispute almost every check I received due to them not tallying my hours correctly and always paid me less money. My coordinator who eventually quit or was fired would barely answer his phone. I could never reach him.When I could not reach him I tried emailing many of the other workers that previously emailed me but no one was helpful.

It literally took me 3 months and many emails and dispute letters to get paid for the companies mistakes. The coordinator would say he is going to forward it to his supervisor and I would never hear from him again. He literally denied the acceptance of the mistakes on my paycheck and I had to explain the situation again.

Lets just say if you like to work to get compensated I would not recommend working for the Academic Advantage as a tutor.
Pros
The students and helping them progress in their academia.
Cons
Everything basically other then helping the students.
Delayed Payments
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 11, 2014
The amount of hours you get is based on your preferences, so you may get a lot of students or close to none. It's a waiting game, which can be frustrating. You don't get paid for mileage. The only thing I really enjoyed was helping kids but other than that, I haven't had a good experience. My first paycheck DID NOT even get deposited on the day that the company said it would. Trying to get in contact with someone about this and getting in contact with my supervisor (which took forever), was a pain. My check(which ended up being mailed to me) was almost 2 weeks late. It's unacceptable.
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Management is slow. Delayed payments.
A big learning experience.
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  New YorkApril 16, 2013
The day will usually start with an early meeting with the team and it will follow with the supervision of a program at one of the sites (school). What I most enjoyed of this job was that everyday was different, you will never know what to expect when you start you after school program. Every day was a challenge. Learned a lot, how to multitask and work under pressure.
I was able to find solutions to different type of problems from teachers, students, parents, to the school administration.
Pros
flexible hours. not everyday had to show up at the office, but work from home
Cons
no benefits, no bonus
Giving back
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAJuly 31, 2013
Growing up I was lucky to have a tutor who could assist me with problems that I was having in school. I always felt embarrassed to ask questions and get the help that I really needed, and I am grateful my parents sacrificed so much so that I could succeed. When I saw the job posting to help students in the No Child Left Behind program, I felt like I was going to be able to “pay it forward”. After a phone interview, I was invited to train and went to the orientation in the LA Office. Walking to our orientation room, I was overwhelmed by how many people worked there, but over time I grew to appreciate and understand how much of an undertaking it is to be in the business that they are in. It is said “it takes a village to raise a child”, and it is true. One of my fifth graders could barely read when I met her. We worked on activities to increase her pacing and intonation, which took up most of her allotted hours. I almost cried when I realized how few books she had in her home, so that she could free read outside of tutoring. The paperwork was time consuming, but wasn’t difficult. I just wish that there was incentive for students doing paper based tutoring to successfully complete the hours that was paid for by the company. Other than that, I am very humbled by this experience and look forward to helping more students next year.
Pros
a chance to make a change in a child's life. see improvement in academics.
Cons
students were in different parts of town. need more resources for students to keep.
Find another tutoring company.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  ParamountFebruary 25, 2014
First off, I would like to say that after I had my phone interview I waited almost 2 weeks and heard nothing. I had to call them to schedule the in person orientation. They had no intentions on calling me. I went to the orientation and you can tell right away that there is no real screening process and they take anyone who's desperate enough to take this job. The training is very poorly conducted and you don't learn anything. Instead of actually using a computer to practice what you will be doing, they give you this huge stack of paperwork. Bottom line is that you are not compensated fairly in this position. You will spend way more time filling out all the paperwork every week than you will just tutoring.

It has been more than one month since that in-person orientation and I never received as much as one phone call or email. Do not waste your time. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this program is a joke. They can't get enough people to do it because anyone with half a brain would never commit to this. I would recommend a company by the name of Varsity Tutors in Orange County. They are much more professional and actually do a real interview and screening process.
Pros
Cons
disorganized, poor communication, low compensation

Want to know more about The Academic Advantage?

Ask a question
too unstable
Site Manager / Lead Aide / Program Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2012
Great energy, great staff, a manageable wage, however an unstable educational market makes this company completely unbalanced.

Great schedules, great on the job learning as well as direction from supervisors. However, ultimately the it was not dependable for stability and a person needs to live.
Pros
all around great job
Cons
lack of any benifits
Very professional
Human Resources Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 24, 2012
As a human resources representative I was responsible for pulling resumes from Monster and Careerbuilder to fill open positions our company had open. I sent email confirmations to confirm interviews, scheduled interviews, and performed basic customer service.
Pros
great perks for attractions, very diverse enviornment
Very unprofessional, exceedingly disorganized
Tutor (Current Employee) –  OaklandApril 17, 2013
I currently work for this company as a tutor and I must say this is the most stressful, frustrating gig I have ever had.

The contract said we would be paid $22/hour, but my paycheck revealed that I was being paid $17/hr. I had to call several times to ensure I received the balance and even after that, it was a struggle.

Secondly, the contract said we would be paid on the 15th of the month, but guess what: we weren't paid, since the company failed to process our paperwork on time. I called 3 times and received 3 different responses as to when we would be paid.

I have suspended all tutoring till I receive a paycheck. If I could warn anyone, please don't work here! The stress and heartache are not worth it.

Thanks for listening.
Pros
the kids and their families are awesome
Cons
disorganized, unprofessional, lack of integrity
Happy Camper
Tutor (Current Employee) –  La Quinta, CASeptember 20, 2013
I live in La Quinta and realized that I had to attend an orientation if I wanted to become a tutor. I was hesitant at first because that I thought it meant that I had to drive to LA. But I was contacted by my trainer and she informed me that it was going to be a local establishment and that I did not have to drive far. I was happy that this was an option for me. A week later when my fingerprints were cleared, I got students assigned and was happy to begin my tutoring job with the company. Working with these kids has been profoundly rewarding and, ultimately, that is what I'll choose to take away from this.
Pros
Orientation was near me. Didnt have to commute far for anything.
Cons
I had to get my own fingerprints. Students were in surrounding cities from me.
secure company
tutor (Current Employee) –  Montebello, CAMarch 26, 2013
This company makes sure that each tutor and employee are fingerprinted before working with students. They explained this information to me over the phone and felt comfortable to continue with the application process. After I was fingerprinted, all I had to do was wait for the results, which took A LOT longer than I expected. Finally, my fingerprints came back and I was cleared to work with students. I was a bit concerned since so much time had passed from the training but I would email and call the company to clarify and they responded within 1-2 business days. They were very thorough with their responses. I'm still working with the students and I should be working with them until after their spring break.
Pros
fingerprints all their tutors and staff
Cons
it was a long process to get my fingerprints cleared
Productive but fun company where the people are quite enjoyable.
Program Completion Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 15, 2012
A typical day at work would depend largely on which department you are involved in. Majority of the company however, deals with tutors and ensuring that they are able to tutor the students of California.
Pros
take lunch whenever you'd like
Cons
no benefits
Fun to work with all the kids
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMay 2, 2013
It was an easy tutoring job and to get pay for it was even better. I got payed 17/hour every month and for all the hours I did. Before I send all my paper work, I would scan them because I wanted to make sure I got payed for the right amount of hours which I always did. The company is not really organize with explaining things, but once you get the hang of it, it is easy. You don't get pay gas money, but you get reimburse in your taxes because all that qualifies gas, paper,and other materials you spent money on for the tutoring. In order to succeed here, you have to be really organize and keep copies of everything so you have proof to back you up. The people here are understanding and are willing to work with you, you have to try it in order to make your own opinion. I almost did not try this because of the negative reviews and like I said before tutoring is not for everybody, but you wont know until you try.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
All the paperwork you turn in each month
Excited to go back
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 30, 2013
I truly enjoy tutoring. This will now be two years of working for the company; and helping out students that are really struggling in school; this is greater than anything so far in my life. I love doing this, and I thank God for giving me the gift of helping others. I hope I can continue for the upcoming school year. I didn’t like the fact that at the beginning my fingerprints were delayed. The first time they told me that my fingerprints were not read correctly, and the second time they said that it was out of their control and they were just waiting for the prints to come back. I know it wasn’t the company’s fault but they should at least have the decency to inform their employee of the delay.
Pros
wonderful students and families. plenty of children to work with.
Cons
communication
totally unethical place to work L.A.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesAugust 20, 2014
As a longtime tutor, I have never seen a more unethical company. Long unpaid training, ridiculously complicated paperwork for starters.

Then tutors are used to "recruit" students that are not interested in tutoring- clearly, they just got a list of potential students. This is all unpaid, and involves driving to their houses.

At their pay rate (which is low) they owe me: $450 at least.

Utter disorganization - nobody's in charge, nobody returns phone calls. I was offered another, actually paid, position recruiting students. I jumped through all hoops, and no call back, no e-mail, and now no message machine and no website.

There's a class action lawsuit going on. IF YOU WORKED FOR THEM SINCE 2006 IN L.A. YOU CAN SIGN UP...EASILY AVAILABLE ONLINE

Let's see this company experience some consequences.
Pros
Fairly organized training, anyway, even if their requirements are absurd.
Cons
Too many to mention here
Boring orientation but worthwhile experience
Tutor (Current Employee) –  La Habra, CAJune 28, 2013
Due to budget cuts, I got laid off from my job in early February. I was contacted by this company after posting my resume on several online job sites. I was interviewed and selected to come in for an orientation for the La Habra school district towards the end of the month. The orientation was filled with people in the same situation as I, so much so, that it affected the temperature in the room. The trainer tried to make the dry material exciting, which I appreciated. The most difficult part of the job was helping these students, which I had no experience doing. My students tried hard, but lacked motivation. They also had no idea how to use the computer that I brought to assist in their tutoring. My hopes are that in the short amount of time that I tutored them that I made a difference, but I guess time will only tell.
Pros
helping studnets achieve their academic goals.
Cons
warm orientation. only provided fans to keep the temperature down.

2.9