The Academic Advantage Employee Reviews

ok
Tutor & Mentor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 16, 2017
ok place to work as an independent contractor, but I would not recommend it.
Flexible hours according to your schedule.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2017
Good temporary position. Opportunity to help a young person to get better grades. Very flexible. Able to choose hours that best fit my schedule. Compensated well for what I did.
Pros
Very flexible hours.
Cons
No benefits.
Fun Place
Tutor/Enrollment Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 9, 2017
The tutors and enrollment reps had a fun work/life balance and were independent workers. The team that managed the paperwork were unorganized but the company overall worked for a positive goal however, they lacked financial stability.
Not much interaction with company
At-Home Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 30, 2017
It was very independent work. Rarely spoke with anyone from the company except for when giving me the contact information for the students I was assigned.
Pros
Independent, build your own schedule
Cons
not much support from agency for staff
Enjoyable work experience
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working for The Academic Advantage because it allowed me to work one-on-one with students. While working with students, I was able to help them improve reading skills as well as reading comprehension. I also interacted with the parents of the students and informed them of their reading progress.
Great side job
LEARNING- WITH- LAPTOPS NCLB TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 21, 2015
What is absolutely great is the independence of doing things your way! If you like teaching and interacting with parents and students then you will like being a tutor.
Cons
Getting paid on time/correctly
Didnt work long enough
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 13, 2014
Short hours and wished i worked longer. Enjoyed helping out kids.
Company did not pay me on time. Many issues.
English and Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 19, 2014
I had filled all my paperwork out correctly but the company did not pay me on time and always had "missing paperwork" which I turned in. I had to dispute almost every check I received due to them not tallying my hours correctly and always paid me less money. My coordinator who eventually quit or was fired would barely answer his phone. I could never reach him.When I could not reach him I tried emailing many of the other workers that previously emailed me but no one was helpful.

It literally took me 3 months and many emails and dispute letters to get paid for the companies mistakes. The coordinator would say he is going to forward it to his supervisor and I would never hear from him again. He literally denied the acceptance of the mistakes on my paycheck and I had to explain the situation again.

Lets just say if you like to work to get compensated I would not recommend working for the Academic Advantage as a tutor.
Pros
The students and helping them progress in their academia.
Cons
Everything basically other then helping the students.
It felt empowering to work one on one with students, and confused because was not provided sufficient formal training.
Bilingual Enrollment Representative (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAAugust 26, 2014
It was great to feel that you had an opportunity to positively impact the students in aiding them to improve their performance in some small way.
Pros
flexibility with schedule, pay was $17/hr, working with diverse community of students.
Cons
mileage not compensated, training is brief (only four hours), and AA hires employees as "independent contractors."
totally unethical place to work L.A.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesAugust 20, 2014
As a longtime tutor, I have never seen a more unethical company. Long unpaid training, ridiculously complicated paperwork for starters.

Then tutors are used to "recruit" students that are not interested in tutoring- clearly, they just got a list of potential students. This is all unpaid, and involves driving to their houses.

At their pay rate (which is low) they owe me: $450 at least.

Utter disorganization - nobody's in charge, nobody returns phone calls. I was offered another, actually paid, position recruiting students. I jumped through all hoops, and no call back, no e-mail, and now no message machine and no website.

There's a class action lawsuit going on. IF YOU WORKED FOR THEM SINCE 2006 IN L.A. YOU CAN SIGN UP...EASILY AVAILABLE ONLINE

Let's see this company experience some consequences.
Pros
Fairly organized training, anyway, even if their requirements are absurd.
Cons
Too many to mention here
Not a very organized company
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 13, 2014
Call center employees are over worked and hard work is not recognized.
na
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 1, 2014
Company changed names to The Marcole Group
The Co workers were great.
Productive and engaging workplace
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Montclair, CAJuly 15, 2014
The Academic Advantage allowed for me to work individually with students in need. I was able to create learning plans for students who were having trouble in particular subjects such as: English, Math, History, etc. This job allowed me to improve the students learning ability.
Huge Mistake to work here. May never get paid
academic tutor (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 25, 2014
I thought that the orientation was poorly conducted and rushed. The entire focus was on the paperwork. The trainer mentioned the high number of tutors that quit and that is when I should have walked away and before I allowed my fingerprints to be taken.

The paperwork and prep time easily double the number of hours you actually tutor and you do not get any pay for this or for your gas and personal expenses.

When you mail in your paperwork they always claim that it did not arrive on time, that your hours can't be counted since they have no signed Student Learning Plan, or that they could not bill the district for your hours due to late paperwork.

I did not receive any pay for my first months hours and in the second month I received a deposit that was less than 3 hours of tutoring even though I had tested and tutored for 44 hours by then. They even sent an e-mail threatening to drop a student when she had already completed her hours, taken the post-test and been given a final progress report.

I never get any explanation on why they cannot find my paperwork or why they cannot bill the district. I enjoyed working with the students and parents but this company is a major headache to work with so I would not recommend it to anyone.

If you are thinking of joining just RUN! Once you commit to getting fingerprinted you are stuck as you will have to pay even if you quit. If you have to quit on a student because you did not get paid you lose all claim to ever getting reimbursed.
Pros
Convenient Scheduling of tutoring hours. Decent web sites for materials
Cons
Lack of timely pay, paperwork nightmares, poor communications, must pay for all expenses including fingerprint processing.
a great place to work for a temporary job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 24, 2014
A typical day at work I would provide customer service to tutors and parents the goal is to get students started on their tutoring programs. I learned to communicate with my coworkers and supervisors at a professional level and run reports.
Class Action Lawsuit filed against this company
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2014
I enjoyed working with children and getting the chance to teach them English Language Arts skills, and I learned as much from them as they learned from me. However, the company engaged in unethical business practices, including late payment and overcharging LAUSD for services.
Pros
working with children
Cons
unethical business practices
Delayed Payments
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 11, 2014
The amount of hours you get is based on your preferences, so you may get a lot of students or close to none. It's a waiting game, which can be frustrating. You don't get paid for mileage. The only thing I really enjoyed was helping kids but other than that, I haven't had a good experience. My first paycheck DID NOT even get deposited on the day that the company said it would. Trying to get in contact with someone about this and getting in contact with my supervisor (which took forever), was a pain. My check(which ended up being mailed to me) was almost 2 weeks late. It's unacceptable.
Pros
Helping kids
Cons
Management is slow. Delayed payments.
Fun workplace
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 28, 2014
This was a fast paced job where i learned a lot about communications and being a liaison between different parties.
Pros
Excellent benefits package
Cons
Find another tutoring company.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  ParamountFebruary 25, 2014
First off, I would like to say that after I had my phone interview I waited almost 2 weeks and heard nothing. I had to call them to schedule the in person orientation. They had no intentions on calling me. I went to the orientation and you can tell right away that there is no real screening process and they take anyone who's desperate enough to take this job. The training is very poorly conducted and you don't learn anything. Instead of actually using a computer to practice what you will be doing, they give you this huge stack of paperwork. Bottom line is that you are not compensated fairly in this position. You will spend way more time filling out all the paperwork every week than you will just tutoring.

It has been more than one month since that in-person orientation and I never received as much as one phone call or email. Do not waste your time. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this program is a joke. They can't get enough people to do it because anyone with half a brain would never commit to this. I would recommend a company by the name of Varsity Tutors in Orange County. They are much more professional and actually do a real interview and screening process.
Pros
Cons
disorganized, poor communication, low compensation
Helping Tutors Complete required paperwork
Resource Representative (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesJanuary 22, 2014
Ship out required paperwork for tutors across California for them to meet the teaching standards.
Very fast paced work.
Hands on.
The hardest part about the job is knowing that its a seasonal job
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Seasonal job so no benifits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Academic Advantage. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9