The Academic Advantage

The Academic Advantage Employer Reviews

Didnt work long enough
Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 13, 2014
Short hours and wished i worked longer. Enjoyed helping out kids.
Company did not pay me on time. Many issues.
English and Math Tutor (Former Employee), Stockton, CAOctober 19, 2014
Pros: the students and helping them progress in their academia.
Cons: everything basically other then helping the students.
I had filled all my paperwork out correctly but the company did not pay me on time and always had "missing paperwork" which I turned in. I had to dispute almost every check I received due to them not tallying my hours correctly and always paid me less money. My coordinator who eventually quit or was fired would barely answer his phone. I could never reach him.When I could not reach him I tried emailing many of the other workers that previously emailed me but no one was helpful.

It literally took me 3 months and many emails and dispute letters to get paid for the companies mistakes. The coordinator would say he is going to forward it to his supervisor and I would never hear from him again. He literally denied the acceptance of the mistakes on my paycheck and I had to explain the situation again.

Lets just say if you like to work to get compensated I would not recommend working for the Academic Advantage as a tutor.
It felt empowering to work one on one with students, and confused because was not provided sufficient formal training.
Bilingual Enrollment Representative (Former Employee), Garden Grove, CAAugust 26, 2014
Pros: flexibility with schedule, pay was $17/hr, working with diverse community of students.
Cons: mileage not compensated, training is brief (only four hours), and aa hires employees as "independent contractors."
It was great to feel that you had an opportunity to positively impact the students in aiding them to improve their performance in some small way.
totally unethical place to work L.A.
Tutor (Former Employee), Los AngelesAugust 20, 2014
Pros: fairly organized training, anyway, even if their requirements are absurd.
Cons: too many to mention here
As a longtime tutor, I have never seen a more unethical company. Long unpaid training, ridiculously complicated paperwork for starters.

Then tutors are used to "recruit" students that are not interested in tutoring- clearly, they just got a list of potential students. This is all unpaid, and involves driving to their houses.

At their pay rate (which is low) they owe me: $450 at least.

Utter disorganization - nobody's in charge, nobody returns phone calls. I was offered another, actually paid, position recruiting students. I jumped through all hoops, and no call back, no e-mail, and now no message machine and no website.

There's a class action lawsuit going on. IF YOU WORKED FOR THEM SINCE 2006 IN L.A. YOU CAN SIGN UP...EASILY AVAILABLE ONLINE

Let's see this company experience some consequences.
Not a very organized company
Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 13, 2014
Call center employees are over worked and hard work is not recognized.
na
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 1, 2014
Company changed names to The Marcole Group
The Co workers were great.
Productive and engaging workplace
Student Tutor (Former Employee), Montclair, CAJuly 15, 2014
The Academic Advantage allowed for me to work individually with students in need. I was able to create learning plans for students who were having trouble in particular subjects such as: English, Math, History, etc. This job allowed me to improve the students learning ability.
Huge Mistake to work here. May never get paid
academic tutor (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CAMarch 25, 2014
Pros: convenient scheduling of tutoring hours. decent web sites for materials
Cons: lack of timely pay, paperwork nightmares, poor communications, must pay for all expenses including fingerprint processing.
I thought that the orientation was poorly conducted and rushed. The entire focus was on the paperwork. The trainer mentioned the high number of tutors that quit and that is when I should have walked away and before I allowed my fingerprints to be taken.

The paperwork and prep time easily double the number of hours you actually tutor and you do not get any pay for this or for your gas and personal expenses.

When you mail in your paperwork they always claim that it did not arrive on time, that your hours can't be counted since they have no signed Student Learning Plan, or that they could not bill the district for your hours due to late paperwork.

I did not receive any pay for my first months hours and in the second month I received a deposit that was less than 3 hours of tutoring even though I had tested and tutored for 44 hours by then. They even sent an e-mail threatening to drop a student when she had already completed her hours, taken the post-test and been given a final progress report.

I never get any explanation on why they cannot find my paperwork or why they cannot bill the district. I enjoyed working with the students and parents but this company is a major headache to work with so I would not recommend it to anyone.

If you are thinking of joining just RUN! Once you commit to getting fingerprinted you are stuck as you will have to pay even if you quit. If you have to quit on a student because you did not get paid you lose all claim to ever getting reimbursed.
a great place to work for a temporary job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 24, 2014
A typical day at work I would provide customer service to tutors and parents the goal is to get students started on their tutoring programs. I learned to communicate with my coworkers and supervisors at a professional level and run reports.
Class Action Lawsuit filed against this company
Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: working with children
Cons: unethical business practices
I enjoyed working with children and getting the chance to teach them English Language Arts skills, and I learned as much from them as they learned from me. However, the company engaged in unethical business practices, including late payment and overcharging LAUSD for services.
Delayed Payments
Academic Tutor (Current Employee), San Bernardino, CAMarch 11, 2014
Pros: helping kids
Cons: management is slow. delayed payments.
The amount of hours you get is based on your preferences, so you may get a lot of students or close to none. It's a waiting game, which can be frustrating. You don't get paid for mileage. The only thing I really enjoyed was helping kids but other than that, I haven't had a good experience. My first paycheck DID NOT even get deposited on the day that the company said it would. Trying to get in contact with someone about this and getting in contact with my supervisor (which took forever), was a pain. My check(which ended up being mailed to me) was almost 2 weeks late. It's unacceptable.
Fun workplace
Director of Development (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits package
This was a fast paced job where i learned a lot about communications and being a liaison between different parties.
Find another tutoring company.
Tutor (Former Employee), ParamountFebruary 25, 2014
Cons: disorganized, poor communication, low compensation
First off, I would like to say that after I had my phone interview I waited almost 2 weeks and heard nothing. I had to call them to schedule the in person orientation. They had no intentions on calling me. I went to the orientation and you can tell right away that there is no real screening process and they take anyone who's desperate enough to take this job. The training is very poorly conducted and you don't learn anything. Instead of actually using a computer to practice what you will be doing, they give you this huge stack of paperwork. Bottom line is that you are not compensated fairly in this position. You will spend way more time filling out all the paperwork every week than you will just tutoring.

It has been more than one month since that in-person orientation and I never received as much as one phone call or email. Do not waste your time. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this program is a joke. They can't get enough people to do it because anyone with half a brain would never commit to this. I would recommend a company by the name of Varsity Tutors in Orange County. They are much more professional and actually do a real interview and screening process.
Helping Tutors Complete required paperwork
Resource Representative (Current Employee), Los AngelesJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: seasonal job so no benifits
Ship out required paperwork for tutors across California for them to meet the teaching standards.
Very fast paced work.
Hands on.
The hardest part about the job is knowing that its a seasonal job
Productive enviroment to learn new skills.
Tutor Recruiter (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: hour lunch
Cons: only 8 hours a day.
The first thing I do on Monday morning is check my voicemail and email, then I prioritize my activities for the day. Answering high volume calls providing world class service to clients and employees.
Disorganized company which fails to accomplish it's main purpose.
Tutor (Part time) (Former Employee), Pomona, CAJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: flexibility, the staff was friendly despite my qualms with the company itself
Cons: their program fails to assess students needs, a large number of upfront costs are not paid by the company itself, the staff was disorganized, the training from an educational company was poorly administered, disorganized departments usually didn't communicate well within their own company
If you want a job with flexibility, and just need a little bit of money, and don't care about the actual needs of the students, this job is for you.

This company was very disorganized and I don't blame the staff themselves. I believe the organization problems probably trickle down from the top seeing that I had problems with a variety of departments.

My main problem with this company is that money which is allocated for children to learn is not accomplishing it's goals.

Students were assessed with one timed test which failed to assess the student's underlying needs. Based upon one test, a student was given a learning plan. However, after working with students you begin to realize that their mathematical needs are not properly being addressed. Therefore, students may be either learning things which are below their level of understanding, or else too advanced.

As an individual tutor you are bound to their educational training program which I believe is the direct cause of the student's failure to make serious advancements.

I believe that in order to provide tutoring on a large scale, tutors must be taught to adhere to a system. It's unfortunate that the system is flawed and does not meet a student's individual needs. Anyone capable of teaching a student well, will see the flaws in their system.

I believe the company probably takes a large percentage of the money that is allocated to tutors and just hires out a bunch of independent contractors. What they do with the extra cash is set up a staff which is highly disorganized.

The staff wasn't able to educate the tutors very – more... well themselves. They relied on educating their contractors through a few packets of information. The paper packet was the instruction manual that you had to live by. Fortunately, I didn't mind the autonomy.

The company tells you to obtain a free credit report by signing up for a credit rating program such as freecreditreport.com . You'll have to quit their program so you will not be billed. The company can't even pay the small fee for a credit report.

You'll also have to go through all of the fingerprinting, and TB testing, that is required by school districts. This will initially set you back a bit of money.

After proving I was credit worthy they issued me a really small laptop to teach students with. They want this laptop to be returned to them when you are finished. I returned the laptop and unfortunately different departments were in conflict over whether they received it. Fortunately they were able to find the laptop in the computer maintenance department.

You'll be communicating with the company mostly through email. You rarely will see any face of this organization.

I assume at the top, is some person, that is just raking in the cash that is scraped off the top of these tutor fees that are being charged to the schools. My mother works for the county and they have to pay out upwards of $45 / hour for tutors.

I hope they are not charging schools anything close to that. If they are it's an incredible shame.

If you are educated enough, just find your own students to tutor them. It will be more rewarding all around. – less
job opportunity that gave plenty of training
Representative (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 23, 2013
Pros: great co-workers; supervisors that listen
Cons: space can feel stuffy during high season; being on the phone almost all day
They hired me when I really needed a job. A friend of mine referred me to this company. Training was quick and easy to follow. I had the opportunity to meet new friends and worked well with my supervisors. They listened to the suggestions we had during meetings and gave the info to the higher ups.
Good place to make extra cash
Tutor (Current Employee), Moreno Valley, CADecember 20, 2013
Pros: good place to grow; learn different teaching skills
Cons: paperwork; communication with office
I recently picked up tutoring to make some extra money on the side. When I first started with this company I was a little overwhelming with all the paperwork. I ended up working as an English tutor and it hasn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be or what I read online. There is a lot of paperwork, but once you’ve done it once or twice you get the gist of it. By the second month the paperwork was no longer an issue.
Unknown benefits
Tutor (Current Employee), Alhambra, CADecember 13, 2013
Pros: local tutoring, monthly checks, bonuses available
Cons: limited amount of students, paperwork corrections
I was hired as a tutor to work with underprivileged students with their math studies education. I didn’t know that there are lots of students that need help in my community. Some of the students that I tutored have parents that can’t speak or read English, therefore, making it difficult for them to help their own children. It was a great learning experience and very rewarding. I plan on returning next year.
Fun Job
Tutor (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 10, 2013
Pros: make my own hours
Working for The Academic Advantage was a great experience. I enjoyed it a lot and the kids I was assigned to make my job much easier.

1 2 3 4