The Advisory Board Company

The Advisory Board Company Employee Reviews

Oh how I used to love my job here...
Senior Director (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 6, 2015
Pros: Met and worked with some extremely talented people, advanced in title quickly and regularly in the early years
Cons: Eventually hit a wall in terms of professional growth, management out of touch with technology business challenges, lack of support in execution of goals from executive management, promotions and goals are inconsistent across the business, lack of cohesive operations across product lines, Austin team culture suffering from corporate changes
I started with ABC years ago in their Performance Technologies division (a software startup that was acquired by ABC). In those days I raved about the company- the culture, people, opportunities, interesting work and supportive management.

Year after year as I advanced into more senior roles and the startup we were became more corporate and ABC executive leadership took over more of the decision-making, I steadily became less engaged and eventually completely miserable. ABC is founded in research and unfortunately not in touch with the actual software portion of the business. All too many times rapid growth and aggressive sales decisions were made with little regard to long term scalability and as a result, the technical side of the company is struggling severely to maintain the profits of the early years and budgets are being cut heavily. Executives are out of touch with the major challenges that the technology teams face, and are promoting and hiring managers who are not equipped to overcome these technical challenges and/or not effective leaders. There are still some very talented people working in Performance Technologies, but many are seeing the same issues and learning that there isn't a good path forward and leaving for other opportunities. I strongly advise looking elsewhere (at a minimum, steer clear of the software side of the business).
It's really nice place to work
QA Analyst (Former Employee), washington,DCJune 1, 2015
It's nice to work here I learned so many new things, place to grow and achieved my goals. I worked with a good team and my team is really supportive including my QA manager and QA team lead. Sometimes the deadlines are too tight, but we delivered everything on time because we worked as a team. I enjoyed learning and testing on a new environment (microstrategy).
Decent job atmosphere good people but constant threat of firing
Data Quality Specialist (Current Employee), Tucson, AZMay 27, 2015
Pros: Good hours, generally friendly atmosphere
Cons: Inconsistent management, high quotas, high turnover
The early hours and eight hour days are nice. Generally the management is good and balanced--however there is a glaring problem of inconsistent direction between four different team leads. Also, the very high turnover and frequent firing due to inability to meet what is touted as a low quota indicate a lack of respect for individuals and disconnect from the actual difficulty of performing the job and meeting the quota
Fun Place to work
Performance Technologies Coordinator (Current Employee), Washington DCMarch 30, 2015
Good place to start in and gain experience in an entry level role. Not much room to grow and the salary is absurdly low for majority of positions
Fun Place to Work if you have a Second job
Coordinator, Online Strategy and Communications (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 26, 2015
Cons: Pay your rmployees more... and turnover would be lower
ABC is a really cool company to work for. However, you will barely make enough to survive in DC. It is not uncommon to see people working a part-time job in addition to working at ABC. They give you a lot of perks but the pay is horrible!
Productive workplace with supportive and smart colleagues
Research Associate, EAB Strategic Research (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2015
Rigid career pathing/ advancement structure. Supportive and productive colleagues. Little recognition for work. Excellent research training and the managers a great people to work for.
Good, but not great
ASSOICATE DIRECTOR (Current Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: work-life balance, flexible work, benefits
Cons: growth is very limited
Business analyst role was a good role and day to day was pretty routine.

There were often a lot of fire drills due to the shortcomings for the tools.
Good place to raise kids, not much else
Software Engineer (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: good health benefits, incredible flexibility
Cons: inept senior management, little actual work
The Advisory Board Company is a great place to work, if you are trying to raise children. They have flexible hours and the work itself is not too difficult.

However, the company suffers from a lack of cohesive vision and forceful senior leadership. They take months to make essential decisions, and probably lack the vision to drive this company forward. They have missed countless opportunities for growth and expansion, partially due to the poor work culture they have created. There is little actual accountability, so people who mess up catastrophically are just reassigned instead of fired or demoted. I cannot count the number of opportunities they have squandered because the wrong people were in charge.

Addtionaly, until recently, they lacked a clear technical track. It's ok, and it pays ok, but it's not market rate. They rely upon you finding some deep satisfaction in solving the healthcare crisis. But if it is such a valuable problem to solve, they should pay accordingly.

The work culture is abysmal. Sure there are happy hours and ping pong tables and several cutesy gimmicks startup-esque companies love to employ to retain talent, but when it comes to getting work done, there doesn't seem to be as heavy an emphasis. Also, the company seems to value politics far more than results. This is not a healthy sign and has caused a lot of unnecessary problems.

Maybe its a gut feeling, but every engineer I have spoken to feels the same.

If you want to check out, have fun, and coast for a few years to raise kids or focus on other stuff, this place would probably be great for you. If you want to work hard, get paid well, and advance your career, this probably is not it.
Started out as a great vision
Director, Performance technology (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2015
Things changed after a top level management change at Austin branch and most of the old timers have left.
Learn a lot, great people, strong culture
Research and Insights Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2015
Great way to learn about healthcare and develop professional skills. Pay is lower than competitors but you do have a great work life balance and many benefits.
Energetic, young place to start a career
Associate Director, Consulting Services (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 18, 2014
-Great benefits, competitive salary
-Young, energetic colleagues
-High workloads, not sustainable work/life balance
-Great place to build skills and start a career
Rather rigid culture, depending on department
Senior Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 10, 2014
There are opportunities to be involved in projects but fewer opportunities to advance. Thus, it's important to know if this is the right culture for you.
Great Environment
Coordinator (Former Employee), Washington DCOctober 19, 2014
Great company culture and exciting industry.
Lots of enthusiastic young people seeking to learn more.
Fast growing company with many changes taking place.
Marketing Associate Role is misleading
Marketing Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 10, 2014
Pros: free lunch, 2 trips a year
Cons: job security, realistic goals
The Marketing Associate Role is miserable. Success is based on quality of territory and product.
Young company with strong training and development opportunities
Manager of Operations (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: open communication with leaders, abundant training opportunities, promotions based on performance, incentives for hard work
Cons: lack of transparency, difficult work life balance, confusing career pathing at times
My time at the Advisory Board has been a fantastic experience growing and learning about healthcare, project management, team management and working with executives. My role oscillates between daily operational tasks (managing my team of entry-level staff, ongoing needs, regular salesforce and updates, and rotating seasonal tasks like bi-annual review periods), and longer term strategic goals (launching a new training program, updating our data systems to align better with executive decision making, promoting a new technology for work life balance, and managing any current campaigns). The hardest part of the job would have to be the rapid change of direction from our executive team, especially with regard to high-tension issues. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the positive impact of my work on the team I work with. My goal is to leave the department a little better than how I received it.
Great Place to work
Director, Member Services Strategy and Operations (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 25, 2014
Great place to work. Opportunities to advance. Great people to work with (smart and driven). Not so great work/life balance
Fun place to work
Associate Director, Marketing (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 7, 2014
Pros: culture, healthcare, benefits
Cons: job security, compensation
Good Culture
poor work/life balance
Great people

Hardest part of the job is traveling 90%
Most enjoyable is the people - I have met my best friends working here.
Ok workplace with some mobility, but low pay
Dedicated Advisor (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 5, 2014
Pros: lots of happy hours
Cons: low pay, management promises but doesn't deliver, staff overworked
Overall, what ABC does is very interesting and impactful, and depending on your team your experience here will vary greatly. Having been on both a stellar and not so stellar team, I can say that the management seems to receive no training in managing people before being let loose on people. However, my managers have been very nice people, dedicated to my development but confined by ABC's supposed meritocracy and promotion/review cycle.

Pay is very low compared to industry standards and is linear to the step taken but not the time taken to get promoted (e.g. an analyst/associate to an SA can take 1-2 years with a salary increase of $15K. An SA to an AD can take 2-3 years, with the same salary increase!).

It's a young work environment however, so that's nice out of college.
Fun work environment with inexperienced management
Project Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 28, 2014
Pros: great work environment, great benefits
Cons: management inexperienced
This company really knows how to treat its employees. They give you 25 PTO days from day one and health benefits from day one. They also have a great game room to destress or just team build. They really encourage and focus on a great work environment. The negative side of this is that they employ a reactive policy and not a preventative policy. I like to work on initiatives that will save the company pain the the future and their philosophy is to not waste resources until it becomes a big problem.
Great place to start your career
Account Manager, Member Services (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 26, 2014
Pros: people/ culture
Cons: compensation/ work-life balance is lacking
The Advisory Board has been a great place to learn the basic business skills needed to be successful in any role. Additionally, it has given me great exposure to the healthcare industry. I would recommend this as a good starting place for people right out of college.

About The Advisory Board Company

The Advisory Board Company and its subsidiaries provides best practices research, analysis, executive education and leadership – Read more

The Advisory Board Company Salaries