The Advisory Board Company

The Advisory Board Company Employee Reviews

A great company that loves to take care of its employees
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 15, 2015
Working for Crimson, the Austin-based subsidiary of the Advisory board, can be pretty rewarding. The office is modern, the people are smart, and there is potential to do exciting work. However, the company struggles with product acquisitions and working on one of those teams can be a nightmare. The company also struggles with its upper level management and strategies and during my time there I witnessed a lot of wasted money and effort because of meaningless corporate politics and misguided decisions. Finally, managers and directors talked a big game when it came to creating a solution for data analytics in the healthcare space but never showed or proved that they had even the slightest clue as to actually creating a marketable product in this category.
Pros
Nice Office, Nice people
Cons
Poor upper level management, Deceiving bonus system, Corporate politics, bad corporate strategies
Fun place to work but the compensation is unreasonable
Associate (Former Employee) –  DCAugust 1, 2015
ABC is a fun place to work with great benefits and trips involved. They make it sound pretty glamorous as far as advancement, chanting that in 8-12 months with internal internship experience and great performance you are for sure going to get promoted and in turn make a high a salary... don't believe it.

They find an "excuse" to deny almost every promotion, and hand out performance plans to ever entry level employee
Pros
Food, environment, culture
Cons
compensation, advancement, management
A day in concierge
Administrative Coordinator/Concierge (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJune 22, 2015
A day in the concierge position is never Typical! anything can happen and anyone can come off of the elevator. You have to be aware of your surroundings and always one step ahead!
Oh how I used to love my job here...
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 6, 2015
I started with ABC years ago in their Performance Technologies division (a software startup that was acquired by ABC). In those days I raved about the company- the culture, people, opportunities, interesting work and supportive management.

Year after year as I advanced into more senior roles and the startup we were became more corporate and ABC executive leadership took over more of the decision-making, I steadily became less engaged and eventually completely miserable. ABC is founded in research and unfortunately not in touch with the actual software portion of the business. All too many times rapid growth and aggressive sales decisions were made with little regard to long term scalability and as a result, the technical side of the company is struggling severely to maintain the profits of the early years and budgets are being cut heavily. Executives are out of touch with the major challenges that the technology teams face, and are promoting and hiring managers who are not equipped to overcome these technical challenges and/or not effective leaders. There are still some very talented people working in Performance Technologies, but many are seeing the same issues and learning that there isn't a good path forward and leaving for other opportunities. I strongly advise looking elsewhere (at a minimum, steer clear of the software side of the business).
Pros
Met and worked with some extremely talented people, advanced in title quickly and regularly in the early years
Cons
Eventually hit a wall in terms of professional growth, management out of touch with technology business challenges, lack of support in execution of goals from executive management, promotions and goals are inconsistent across the business, lack of cohesive operations across product lines, Austin team culture suffering from corporate changes
It's really nice place to work
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  washington,DCJune 1, 2015
It's nice to work here I learned so many new things, place to grow and achieved my goals. I worked with a good team and my team is really supportive including my QA manager and QA team lead. Sometimes the deadlines are too tight, but we delivered everything on time because we worked as a team. I enjoyed learning and testing on a new environment (microstrategy).
Decent job atmosphere good people but constant threat of firing
Data Quality Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 27, 2015
The early hours and eight hour days are nice. Generally the management is good and balanced--however there is a glaring problem of inconsistent direction between four different team leads. Also, the very high turnover and frequent firing due to inability to meet what is touted as a low quota indicate a lack of respect for individuals and disconnect from the actual difficulty of performing the job and meeting the quota
Pros
Good hours, generally friendly atmosphere
Cons
Inconsistent management, high quotas, high turnover
Fun Place to work
Performance Technologies Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington DCMarch 30, 2015
Good place to start in and gain experience in an entry level role. Not much room to grow and the salary is absurdly low for majority of positions
Fun Place to Work if you have a Second job
Coordinator, Online Strategy and Communications (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 26, 2015
ABC is a really cool company to work for. However, you will barely make enough to survive in DC. It is not uncommon to see people working a part-time job in addition to working at ABC. They give you a lot of perks but the pay is horrible!
Cons
Pay your rmployees more... and turnover would be lower
Productive workplace with supportive and smart colleagues
Research Associate, EAB Strategic Research (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2015
Rigid career pathing/ advancement structure. Supportive and productive colleagues. Little recognition for work. Excellent research training and the managers a great people to work for.
Good, but not great
ASSOICATE DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 2, 2015
Business analyst role was a good role and day to day was pretty routine.

There were often a lot of fire drills due to the shortcomings for the tools.
Pros
work-life balance, flexible work, benefits
Cons
growth is very limited
Good place to raise kids, not much else
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 31, 2015
The Advisory Board Company is a great place to work, if you are trying to raise children. They have flexible hours and the work itself is not too difficult.

However, the company suffers from a lack of cohesive vision and forceful senior leadership. They take months to make essential decisions, and probably lack the vision to drive this company forward. They have missed countless opportunities for growth and expansion, partially due to the poor work culture they have created. There is little actual accountability, so people who mess up catastrophically are just reassigned instead of fired or demoted. I cannot count the number of opportunities they have squandered because the wrong people were in charge.

Addtionaly, until recently, they lacked a clear technical track. It's ok, and it pays ok, but it's not market rate. They rely upon you finding some deep satisfaction in solving the healthcare crisis. But if it is such a valuable problem to solve, they should pay accordingly.

The work culture is abysmal. Sure there are happy hours and ping pong tables and several cutesy gimmicks startup-esque companies love to employ to retain talent, but when it comes to getting work done, there doesn't seem to be as heavy an emphasis. Also, the company seems to value politics far more than results. This is not a healthy sign and has caused a lot of unnecessary problems.

Maybe its a gut feeling, but every engineer I have spoken to feels the same.

If you want to check out, have fun, and coast for a few years to raise kids or focus on other stuff, this place would probably be great for you.
  more... If you want to work hard, get paid well, and advance your career, this probably is not it.  less
Pros
good health benefits, incredible flexibility
Cons
inept senior management, little actual work
Started out as a great vision
Director, Performance technology (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2015
Things changed after a top level management change at Austin branch and most of the old timers have left.
Learn a lot, great people, strong culture
Research and Insights Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2015
Great way to learn about healthcare and develop professional skills. Pay is lower than competitors but you do have a great work life balance and many benefits.
Energetic, young place to start a career
Associate Director, Consulting Services (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 18, 2014
-Great benefits, competitive salary
-Young, energetic colleagues
-High workloads, not sustainable work/life balance
-Great place to build skills and start a career
Rather rigid culture, depending on department
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 10, 2014
There are opportunities to be involved in projects but fewer opportunities to advance. Thus, it's important to know if this is the right culture for you.
Great Environment
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington DCOctober 19, 2014
Great company culture and exciting industry.
Lots of enthusiastic young people seeking to learn more.
Fast growing company with many changes taking place.
Marketing Associate Role is misleading
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 10, 2014
The Marketing Associate Role is miserable. Success is based on quality of territory and product.
Pros
free lunch, 2 trips a year
Cons
job security, realistic goals
Young company with strong training and development opportunities
Manager of Operations (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2014
My time at the Advisory Board has been a fantastic experience growing and learning about healthcare, project management, team management and working with executives. My role oscillates between daily operational tasks (managing my team of entry-level staff, ongoing needs, regular salesforce and updates, and rotating seasonal tasks like bi-annual review periods), and longer term strategic goals (launching a new training program, updating our data systems to align better with executive decision making, promoting a new technology for work life balance, and managing any current campaigns). The hardest part of the job would have to be the rapid change of direction from our executive team, especially with regard to high-tension issues. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the positive impact of my work on the team I work with. My goal is to leave the department a little better than how I received it.
Pros
open communication with leaders, abundant training opportunities, promotions based on performance, incentives for hard work
Cons
lack of transparency, difficult work life balance, confusing career pathing at times
Great Place to work
Director, Member Services Strategy and Operations (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 25, 2014
Great place to work. Opportunities to advance. Great people to work with (smart and driven). Not so great work/life balance
Fun place to work
Associate Director, Marketing (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2014
Good Culture
poor work/life balance
Great people

Hardest part of the job is traveling 90%
Most enjoyable is the people - I have met my best friends working here.
Pros
culture, healthcare, benefits
Cons
job security, compensation