The Alaska Club Employee Reviews

Clean Team
Clean Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKOctober 24, 2017
Went thru 3 managers, with no room for advancement, couldn't keep a good team, no training in my 5 months, no achievements in doing an excellent job, discounts are good, but long hours and no team make a person over worked and dislike working, which makes it hard to work with no communication between heads of the Alaska club staff in different areas, communication between all staff met little expectation, others rude, many expected us to do everything for them, they had inspection quite frequently and we had to meet expectations, the minus part is staying very late. The plus side are some good people there, I have enjoyed seeing employees, but no room for advancing, and it was busy, expect of cleaning was too much and the pay 9.80 hour most enjoyable part, the members I knew and got to know, employees I got along with. The hardest, if everyone has off u have to clean the whole gym by yourself may take til 5am I've done this before
Pros
Good members
Cons
No room for advancement, low min. Wage pay, lots of hours, bad management functinality
Alaska Club
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 6, 2017
If I love working for the club. If I didn't have to move I would still work there. Its a family atmosphere. They are about your well being. If you prove that your are a good employee. They will treat you well and you can move up.
Slow environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 25, 2017
A typical day at Alaska club includes helping members of the club check in/schedule massage/tanning appointments, checking pH levels in hot tubs, checking equipment safety.
Pros
Discount on membership
Cons
Small pay, lack of responsibilities.
Part time work
Leader Membership Coordinator/ On-call Manager (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKJune 19, 2017
I had a great experience while working here. Even though it was slow paced it was very enjoyable to help people work on their fitness journey. The people were always excellent.
Certified Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 14, 2017
Enjoyed working at the East location. Steady hours and a good work environment. Everyone was nice and friendly to each other. Learned a lot about management and sales.
Loved the work environment!
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKMay 29, 2017
I truly was happy everyday I came to work. I had the position I ultimately wanted after starting in another department. I couldn't have asked for a better way to start the career I wanted.
Pros
Of course free membership but also an awesome work environment!
Cons
Split shift was the only con I can say.
Great place to work and fun
SALES COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Wasilla, AKMay 20, 2017
Best gym in Alaska and fun place to learn sales. Be a great first job, or to learn health and fitness. With almost no sales in the summer, hard to pay the bills though.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Only 7.5 hours a day
Fun and friendly employees and management
Front Desk Memeber Support (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 3, 2017
It's a job with long hours and a lot of standing around. Great environment around friendly people. Hard to get hours, great part time job. Easy hire for the most part must have open availability.
Pros
Friendly people free membership
Cons
Mostly standing around not much to do
Fun place to work
Member Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wasilla, AKApril 16, 2017
The environment is a fun atmosphere with great members and co-workers. As long as you're reliable and learn quickly you will do well. There isn't a typical day because foot traffic in/out of the gym varies, but the members are great. It's a great place to hone your customer service skills. The hardest part is coming across members who are not happy with things. During those encounters you can practice your patience and empathy to help them to the best of your ability.
Pros
Free membership and flexibility in your schedule
Cons
Advancement is difficult due to low turnover in lead and management positions
Fun Place, doesn't pay well
Fitness guide (Former Employee) –  Eagle River, AKMarch 25, 2017
Fun place but doesn't pay well thats my only issue... Great having the gym and ability to use almost all of its locations however isn't enough. Usually have great people working there though.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
the pay
Great gym
Personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Palmer, AKMarch 21, 2017
The gym was clean and well run and an enjoyable place to be. I had wide variety of clients which kept work fun and challenging. My coworkers were always positive and helpful and we made a great team.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
part time
Good Environment, but poor compensation
Manager/IT Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMarch 19, 2017
I enjoy the people I work with and the experience I get. I don't enjoy that my current position takes all of my time and energy, and yet I am still not fairly compensated. My experience is not truly appreciated, only utilized.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Poor compensation for its expectations
Fun place to work
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 25, 2017
A typical day of work is just to have fun and deal with customer relations.
Learning how to operate a 15 phone line system and directing calls while still handling every day members personable needs.
And/or guests and potential members needs.
Also is great place to hang out and workout.
Welcoming Atmosphere and great employees
PERSONAL TRAINER MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 16, 2017
Working for the Alaska Club was a great experience. The human resources staff does an exceptional job of getting new employees settled in. The personal training staff was very friendly and made the work day an enjoyable experience.
Pros
working in a gym
Cons
selling packages
Unprofessional, lacks vision, does not value its employees.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 24, 2016
Unorganized, frivolous network positions, no team dynamic, unreasonable expectations. Does not develop employees. Clubs are not the focus, only executives needs. Feels like a high school clique. You are simply a tool, like a broom, to the executive management. Your assessments or opinions are only heard if you are "liked". It is a "good old boys/girls club". The company does not invest in preventative maintenance for its facilities. Senior management is more concerned with personal bonuses than club or staff needs. They will fire you once they no longer like you.
Pros
It's a fitness club.
Cons
Management, no vision, no inclusion.
Fun place to work with great management
Clean team (Current Employee) –  Wasilla, AKAugust 18, 2016
One of the best jobs I have ever had. Management is so understanding and caring, very flexible with my personal schedule. All around great place to work.
Pros
Membership discounts
Cons
Minimum wage
Fun enviroment
Customer Service Rep/Collections (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AK 99701April 19, 2016
The Accounting department works as a team to ensure quality performance for the members and the staff. Employee discount on membership. Fast paced, but fun.
Loved working here
C. CHILDCARE PROVIDER/CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJanuary 29, 2016
Great working environment and employees were very friendly. Management was great and wonderful place to work. Childcare was stressful, but rewarding.
Pros
free memebership, discount childcare and great people
Cons
low pay and only partime
Fun and Face to face
member service representative (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKDecember 17, 2015
Really nice place to work if you enjoy being around people. Lots of positive energy, and there's never a need to find something to do.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Low pay
Great place to advance in fitness management
Fitness Director/Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 13, 2015
The Alaska Club allow me to grow in my fitness career. I was able to still help clients through personal training, but now I was able to help other members with free workouts for the club. I learned to balance my life of a personal trainer, and my life as a fitness director throughout my time at the Alaska club. As a personal trainer, it was my duty to provide clients with workout programs and guide them through their fitness journey. As a fitness director, it was my duty to lead a team of ten fitness instructors. As a team, we focused on providing daily/weekly workout programs for members who were not able to afford personal training. I enjoyed my time with my management team because we all worked together to achieve one goal, and that goal was to provide great customer service to our members. The most enjoyable part of my job was being around people who were different, but alike in so many ways.
Pros
Leading a team in an effort to help the community of Anchorage
Cons
Budget and trying to give my employees the hours they deserve

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Alaska Club. Our community is ready to answer.