The Alaska Club Employee Reviews

Unprofessional, lacks vision, does not value its employees.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 24, 2016
Unorganized, frivolous network positions, no team dynamic, unreasonable expectations. Does not develop employees. Clubs are not the focus, only executives needs. Feels like a high school clique. You are simply a tool, like a broom, to the executive management. Your assessments or opinions are only heard if you are "liked". It is a "good old boys/girls club". The company does not invest in preventative maintenance for its facilities. Senior management is more concerned with personal bonuses than club or staff needs. They will fire you once they no longer like you.
Pros
It's a fitness club.
Cons
Management, no vision, no inclusion.
Fun place to work with great management
Clean team (Current Employee) –  Wasilla, AKAugust 18, 2016
One of the best jobs I have ever had. Management is so understanding and caring, very flexible with my personal schedule. All around great place to work.
Pros
Membership discounts
Cons
Minimum wage
Fun enviroment
Customer Service Rep/Collections (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AK 99701April 19, 2016
The Accounting department works as a team to ensure quality performance for the members and the staff. Employee discount on membership. Fast paced, but fun.
Loved working here
C. CHILDCARE PROVIDER/CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJanuary 29, 2016
Great working environment and employees were very friendly. Management was great and wonderful place to work. Childcare was stressful, but rewarding.
Pros
free memebership, discount childcare and great people
Cons
low pay and only partime
Great place to advance in fitness management
Fitness Director/Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 13, 2015
The Alaska Club allow me to grow in my fitness career. I was able to still help clients through personal training, but now I was able to help other members with free workouts for the club. I learned to balance my life of a personal trainer, and my life as a fitness director throughout my time at the Alaska club. As a personal trainer, it was my duty to provide clients with workout programs and guide them through their fitness journey. As a fitness director, it was my duty to lead a team of ten fitness instructors. As a team, we focused on providing daily/weekly workout programs for members who were not able to afford personal training. I enjoyed my time with my management team because we all worked together to achieve one goal, and that goal was to provide great customer service to our members. The most enjoyable part of my job was being around people who were different, but alike in so many ways.
Pros
Leading a team in an effort to help the community of Anchorage
Cons
Budget and trying to give my employees the hours they deserve
they treat there employees really bad
Cleaning Crew (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKAugust 1, 2015
I just left the south club in fairbanks. The manager treats any employee like they are not intelligent enough to know how to work. They drop you from full time to on call without notice. And on top of everything they only pay minimal wages
Pros
free membership
Cons
no breaks, minimal wages, management sits and watches you on camera
It was a fun working environment and healthy to
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 22, 2015
loved having a free membership and going to all the clubs. I felt really healthy working there and that felt awesome!!!! Plus I met so many new and awesome people
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
no benefits
okay job
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 22, 2015
I thought it was okay, not a bad place coworkers are good. Great for college students. Management always changes, cant really get a good reference because of it. I would only recommend this job to college student or just graduated high school student.
Pros
im not sure
Cons
im not sure
Does Not Value Employees
Professional (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 30, 2015
Expectations are unreasonable. Compensation is not comparable to the work, stresses, and disrespect from management. Free membership is a joke. Health and retirement benefits are shameful.
Lots of opportunities for advancement
Operations (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 11, 2015
A wonderful place to work. Great family fitness facilities.
Fun work environment, helps maintain my body to be in healthy condition.
Licensed Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Eagle River, AKJanuary 31, 2014
I have a set amount of hours and only two shifts, Sunday and Monday. I have a 15 breather to clean and setup my massage room in between sessions, making sessions easier to begin early or suggest to clients how to maintain their road to improvement for better health or performance. My Coworkers are just fun to be around. We're all relatively in our 20s but we have a good sense of professionalism and when we run into a issue or obstacle, we quickly work together to solve said issue. My manager is a great source of help, however unless she is in the office she's rather unreachable. So the best course of action is to leave notes on her desk or leave voicemails on her machine and when she comes into the workplace, she asks me to come in and inform her of whatever I may need.
Clientele is slow at times, but I would say I'm busy 60% of the shift. I'm booked on the day of rather than people scheduling with me in advance.

The hardest part of this position is I've given such low hours because I'm not booked more than 65% of the shift. I am not allowed business cards, I may not give out chair massage outside of the gym to put my name out in the community. The massage chair was broke for over a month and it was cheaply repaired. It will break the next time I use it and it's too costly to the gym apparently to purchase a chair of durable quality. The only way my clientele builds if the small clientele that sees me gives out word of mouth to other potential clients.
Pros
Free membership to the gym locations, interactive clients and comfy atomosphere
Cons
2 four hour shifts, unfair hours compared to other coworking LMTs, sent home early after last client.
Could be a better place to work
Fitness Instructor I (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 31, 2013
Did more cleaning than fitness instructing. Enjoyed getting to know the members. Worked by myself so did not get to work with my co-workers or know them very well. Really liked my first supervisor before she moved.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Pay for everything else.
Great experience
Manager, Front Desk, Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKDecember 20, 2013
Great overal experience. Never felt like I was going to work. The saying, "If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life" could not be more true.
Pros
Amazing work atmosphere
Cons
The Polos
Wonderful Family Environment
Member Services/Collections (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKMarch 29, 2013
It was rare I ever felt like is was just " another employee". Excellent working conditions, great family atmosphere with the added benefit of a gym all around you.
Demanding job
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Eagle River, AKJuly 13, 2012
On your feet all day; Little time for breaks and when there is time, only allowed short breaks; Only one person at front desk usually, meaning you can't leave majority of the time.
Pros
free membership
Cons
extremely short breaks
Good Company
Member Accountant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 11, 2012
It was a goode environment to work in. I learned a lot about the member accounting field.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Alaska Club. Our community is ready to answer.

The Alaska Club Reviews by Location