The American Academy is looking for a Web Developer to join our team. The chosen candidate will be initially be responsible for building internal reports for analyzing current trends in course content, student success and more. The candidate will also be responsible for developing and creating a high-touch, high quality learning experience for our teachers, students, and applicants.
Our ideal candidate has strong technical skills, is comfortable with programming languages, and has an interest in online education and social entrepreneurship. As a web developer, you'll have the opportunity to help define and build out a cohesive, student-friendly environment using open-source tools and frameworks.
- Develop internal reports for analyzing success of program and classes.
- Arrange data to be displayed in usable formats for non-technical employees and clients.
- Work with team-members to develop new web-based tools for helping at-risk students make and successfully complete learning goals.
- Develop new tools for internal use to help employees complete their work.
Desired Experience and Requirements
- 1+ years experience builing PHP applications
- Experience with open-source database platforms such as MySQL or PostgresSQL
- Experience with LAMP development environment.
- Experience working with content management systems such as Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla! or other OSS CMS frameworks is preferred but not required
- Some basic Linux/Unix system administration skills
About Our Company:
The American Academy (TAA) serves at-risk students in partnership with more than 50 school districts across the United States who want to earn a high school diploma. We offer:
- School districts an innovative program for dropout recovery and prevention, as well as offering additional courses for credit recovery or curriculum expansion.
- Students an opportunity to choose from more than 180 online courses, supported by state-licensed teachers and access to tutoring 24/7.
- Teachers the ability to teach, develop content, tutor and perform community outreach to promote online learning.
About Our Work Environment:
Our culture and environment encourage people who want to make significant contributions, work on challenging assignments, and prefer an open-minded approach to work. As a startup we seek people who are not afraid to take on varied assignments and to help out wherever needed. Someone looking for a structured corporate environment with weeks of training before starting the job need not apply – at TAA we jump in, learn and get things done.
We have an exciting, open work environment that encourages team members to brainstorm, share ideas, try new things and learn from past experiences. We look for team members who can challenge the status quo, understand the bigger picture and make good decisions. We strive to help our employees achieve personal goals while contributing to the overall team effort.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Applying:
How do you feel when you read the following statement: "...dropping out of high school is no longer an option. It's not just quitting on yourself; it's quitting on your country. And this country needs and values the talents of every American."
- What place does online education have in the public school system?
- Do I enjoy engaging in meaningful discussions with people I don't know?
- Am I competitive and driven to succeed?
- Why do I want to work for The American Academy?