The American Legion

The American Legion Employer Reviews

Working for our Military, Bartending and fundraisers
Bartender & Server (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: helping vets, rewarding, fun
Cons: not enough hours, very political
I like working for the American Legion and for what it stands for. We are all about helping our military vets. Active and retired. I work a lot of benefits to raise money for homeless vets. I also go help "Feed the Vets" every year.

Typical day is a lot of multitasking. I have 3 different registers behind the bar for different things. I stock the bar, – more... wait on customers, and after almost 7yrs, I still look forward to going to work.

All the employees are like one big family. Very easy to get along with and to go to with any problems or suggestions you might have. .
. – less
Wonderful organization with great members
Event Manager (Former Employee), Orlando, FLAugust 1, 2013
Pros: comp and benefit package are decent, mostly willing to work with employees challenges
Cons: prefer not to answer
There are a couple long-time employees that have been through several management changes. The organization provides a wonderful service and has some great members that I am honored to have worked with. I support their cause completely.
Great place to start a bartending career
Bartender (Former Employee), Louisburg, KSMarch 28, 2013
Pros: i got a start as a bartender
Cons: sometimes overworked
I started out my bartending career with The American Legion. It wasn't a high volume bar but more of one where everyone knew each other. The customers would come in and play cards, I would wait on them while they did. Others would play shuffle board and watch the games on T.V. My day started out by opening the bar, getting the cash register in order – more... for the day, and opening the front door to let the day begin. All of which I did by myself. The management was rarely there except for in the morning to collect the deposit for the bank and to make sure everything was going ok. Besides that the bartenders ran the show. The hardest part of the job was there was only one bartender on at a time. So stocking the beer cooler for not only my shift, but the next shift was sometimes challenging when it had to be done in the middle of my shift and when we were busy. I learned how to maintain composer and I realized I can only do so much at a time. To never let one thing keep me from doing another and always keep a good attitude. – less
Boring, but secure job
computer programmer (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 12, 2013
Pros: job security, predictability
Cons: boring
Their systems are out of date. They discourage any newer ideas. Very stuck in "old school" ways. I was bored there but if all I wanted out of a job was security, they had that much anyway.
Excellent Place for an Internship!
Public Relations Intern (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJanuary 10, 2013
The treated their interns great! I learned a lot and had fun with my internship.
Fun Place to work
Bartender (Current Employee), Bristol, CTNovember 19, 2012
Pros: meet great people
Cons: no benefits
All co-workers are flexible and more than willing to switch shifts when needed.
Food Serving
Dinner server (Former Employee), San JacintoAugust 15, 2012
Pros: free dinner and refreshments
Cons: angry veterans
I was needed to arrive around the evening to set up tables in order to sit people down for dinner. I learned how veterans got together to relive good times together. Hardest part of the job was serving everyone quickly. I enjoyed talking to everyone and learning more about the military.
Busy work place
Veterans Benefit Counselor (Former Employee), Fort Lewis, WAAugust 12, 2012
Pros: working with veterans
Cons: poor management
High traffic office, with just myself working with another organization. Management is not the best, if you are not friends with outside the company then you will not go very far. Co-workers will do anything to take your position even if they have to lie. The hardest part of the job is working with people who will not help you if you need it.