The Andersons Employee Reviews in United States

Great Place!
Product Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHDecember 7, 2015
Great place to work! Management is really nice, flexible. Pay is decent, and great benefits. They strive to take care of their employees, and make a positive impact on the local communities.
Pros
Great management
Cons
The drive
great company, culture
seasonal, outdoor nursery (Former Employee) –  Maumee ohioOctober 15, 2015
Loved working here! Supervisor great. Worked a schedule very acomodating to my home life. Pay was good for job duties. Will be going back for seasonal work.
Pros
hourly wage, management, environment
a good job to have
Machine Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHOctober 12, 2015
this was a pretty good job it wasn't to difficult and the swing shifts were a welcome change of pace. the most interesting thing was learning the process from corn to ethanol. really cool!
Lots of advancement opportunities
Cob Division Foreman (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHOctober 11, 2015
I really liked this company and the associates I worked with. The hardest thing to adjust to was the very loose culture as opposed to the "tight ship" culture I was accustomed to. I was able to learn a lot about tolerances and communication in various environments.
Great people to work with in general with tons of experience. The hardest part of my job was having to recognize when I had to go my separate way due to the culture of the work environment. If you're a hard worker, skies the limit with this company.
Pros
Excellent wages and opportunities
Cons
very loose culture
Generate reports for R&D data, correspondence, filing, schedule meetings
Technical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHOctober 9, 2015
A diverse company with numerous opportunities. From Agriculture to Retail. Mentoring management will help you grow and advance you within the company.
Pros
Diverse Business
productive and fun workplace
Payroll Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Maumee, OHOctober 7, 2015
The Andersons is a generous company that is really interested in the employee's engagement with them. They have great benefits and a competitive compensation program.
Nice People
Loss Prevention Specialist II (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhSeptember 23, 2015
Not much room to advance, Friendly people nice environment, good food. Have not been there long enough to make any other judgments.
AgriBusiness corporation with a family feel, experiencing growth and transition.
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHSeptember 9, 2015
The Andersons is a strong company; currently experiencing growth and technology upgrades. Overall culture of the company is positive; publicly traded, and trying hard to maintain a family feel to the environment.
Good steady income, poorly managed, lost sight of being a family company.
Grain Operations (Former Employee) –  Greenville, OHAugust 20, 2015
Working for The Andersons when you first start is like a fairy tale. They send you to the corporate office and put you in training, teaching you about safety, communication, and customer service. They tell you that they are a family owned company and are focused on treating you like you are family. When you actually start working at your location the story is quite different. There is no regard for your time only theirs. Management did not care what you needed time off for or why you couldn't work an additional 2-8 hours with no notice, that was just part of your job. The safety culture there was really good, as long as it followed a profitable time margin, or didn't require additional funds to implement new equipment. The best part of the job was the co-workers. We all dealt and put up with the same treatment and helped each other when we could. Not a terrible place to work but don't believe all of the warm fuzzy stuff they'll tell you during training.
Pros
Good pay, Decent safety culture, Excellent co-workers
Cons
Management, Poor communication, No regard for you or your personal time
All the people are so nice and it is very clean
Stock clerk (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 25, 2015
I really liked working here. the peole are really nice and the work was fun. I liked helping the customers and working with a team. I like the quality of the merchandise too. I would like to work there again someday.
Pros
the residents and staff
Cons
can be long hours
Worst company to work for
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toledo OHJune 13, 2015
The Andersons try to promote down to earth country folk to reflect their customer set they serve, but they are very hypocritical when it comes to their employees. They refuse to pay any time before or after hours, promoting slave labor, they reap all the benefits and encourage management to treat employees as uneducated low lifes. Very disappointing to think that a company that pretends to promote a family environment is so cruel to its employees. The only people treated well are those that are related to The Andersons.
Pros
Cons
Cheat employees of rightful pay, treatment is poor of employees, no promotions unless you are related in some way.
Nice place to work if you dont need to support yourself
Cake Decorator/Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHMarch 15, 2015
I love working for this company. The workers are so nice & really helpful. Everyone always has a smile on their face. I work in the bakery department. I have very flexible hours & work alone almost every day. Im not a big fan of my department manage but no one likes their boss. My pay is higher than most Ive spoken to for some reason but its still not enough to get me by. They hire in Part time only 95% of the time so theres no option for benefits. The only time you can go full time (& start benefits) is after youve been there a year & most times switch departments to replace someone. You will never have an opportunity to go full time if you work in the meat dept, deli, or bakery. Its just not an option. I really adore the store & my coworkers but once I move on I think Ill be much happier just being a shopper.
Pros
customer relationships, friendly faces, store managers listen
Cons
low pay, no breaks, heavy work load
It was ok
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Maumee, OHFebruary 10, 2015
Work was ok but very exhausting because cart crew only was scheduled 1 person each 4 hours shifts throughout the day. Other than the people are nice that work there just poor planning of shifts
Pros
ok people
Cons
short breaks alot of running around without any time to break
Successful diversified and family-oriented company
Vice President of Corporate Planning (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHOctober 24, 2014
I attribute its success to a strong emphasis on goal-sharing and clearly understood incentive programs for everyone in the company. Although The Andersons has a portfolio of businesses which might seem unrelated to many people, every business unit was a logical progression from the original one - a grain elevator in Maumee, Ohio.
Pros
integrity, family-oriented
No family life
inmate (Former Employee) –  mt. pulaski, ILOctober 13, 2014
When I hired on I was told how important the balance of family life and work life was to the company. Little did I know what they meant was work life is when ever we call and you wont say no. I received calls to come into work at all hours of the evening and night. I was told I was on call but never received any on call pay. I was on call everyday. Unable to ever make any plans around work because I never knew when I would be working a normal 8 hours or 16 hours.
Not to mention the management here is a complete joke. Three people in the office and none of them have a clue as to what they are actually doing. I could have done all three of their jobs by myself and that is not an exaggeration. Coworkers were all great people. Not the safest place to work as they have 15 plus recordables this year alone.
Pros
my check didnt bounce
Cons
not safe, bad management, no family life
Family Oriented, good pay
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Albion, MISeptember 20, 2014
A very nice place to work. Family oriented. Employed since 2006
Pros
nice work environment
Cons
12 hour shifts
Great Pay but Seasonal work
ppl employee (Former Employee) –  Dyer, TNSeptember 3, 2014
unload grain, test grain moisture, clean up grain, do maintenance on grain elevators and other grain equipment when needed
Pros
great pay
Cons
no days off and seasonal
Retail Manager, The Andersons General store
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHAugust 5, 2014
Great place to work. A typical day is managing inventory , managing an inventory system that can be tough. I have learned I love to be around customers that come back over and over, I like to foster relationships with people.
Management is made up of long term individuals. Job security.
My co-workers were good people, with family lives. Not many retailers offer that.
Hardest part of being a retail manager is staff turn over for low wages. Some of the department pay more than others, and tend to keep employees longer. Also, some like food, work much harder than other departments.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with a team, developing a team and seeing success by monetary gain.
Pros
full time benefits
Cons
short breaks, brisk pace, lots of stock, not enough employees
Friendly work environment.
Senior Manager, Risk Management Pricing Tools (Current Employee) –  Maumee, OHMay 27, 2014
Overall a decent place to work. Friendly people. Like to promote within.
Railcar Repair Person Henderson, NV
Railcar Repair Worker (Carman) (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVApril 4, 2014
The Anderson's Inc has no clue about safety and work laws. Management played favorites. We worked without breaks in 110+ degree heat. There was no training program. You were constantly strung-along with promised raises, but it was only a tool to use and abuse you. DONT WORK HERE!
Pros
its a job
Cons
low pay, lousy leadership.