The ARC of Rensselaer County Employee Reviews

Amazing Place to Work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 25, 2017
I loved my time at the ARC but do to silly situations on my part I wasn't able to stay, it was nothing the company did. But any time someone I knew needed a new job I always suggested the ARC, overall just an amazing company to work for.
Productive and Fun Work Place
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYSeptember 7, 2017
I would come in pass meds and check on the guys and around the house. i Cooked cleaned and the had a little 1on 1 time w/ them. After all of that they go to bed I finished up what I needed and waited for staff.
Good agency and has the potential to be a great agency, but...
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 21, 2017
Arc of Rensselaer County is a good agency. They promote the independence of their individuals as well as community involvement. Where they lack is their staffing. From upper management on down they have a very high turnover rate. They need to upgrade their training dept as well. The staff coming to work in the residential houses are not properly trained or just not enough training.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lack of staffing and support
Good pay for managers and good benefits and guaranteed overtime.
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYMay 23, 2017
cons: way understaffed, mandatory overtime, no work-life balance, direct care staff is very overworked and underpaid
Clients are wonderful! And some managers are excellent, very supportive!
Ideologically progressive company with a realistic chance of contributing to quantifiable social change.
Multiple Positions (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 10, 2017
A portion of the compensation is personal fulfilment from contributing to the betterment of humanity. Some interdepartmental miscommunication exists, being the secondary hindrance after turnover. Overall, good people, good cause, room for improvement.
Pros
Competitive benefits package, almost everyone is friendly and willing to work together, sense of purpose is evident.
Cons
Wages, antiquated information technology systems, a bit political at times.
Fun, excitable, one of a kind job. They said if you love your job you never truly work a day in your life
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 16, 2017
The ARC of Rensselar County is such an amazing work enviroment and organization, it truly is a plesant work experience like no other. Truly makes you feel at home within the work community, so many perks and benefits of the job such as impacts others lives, and supporting people by helping them in everyday life achieve life goals,and have personal choices in their lives. Knowing i'm benefiting a persons life is more than i could ever want as an employee.
Pros
impacting others, petty cash meaning when you take your residents to do things such as movies, dinner, etc, they pay fr you to take them meaning coverage on your fees for the outings. they have benefits, events, community outings, holiday partys, ot.
Cons
my schedule for my house affects my ability to go to school as a fulltime student.
Great place to work, flexible/caring environment
Admin (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 19, 2016
The benefits are great and they offer a lot of work-life balance. Many of the staff are very tenured outside of the entry level positions. Most of the management team has worked in a direct support role at sometime in their career, so you feel like they have a good understanding of the work.
Pros
Benefits, culture, flexibility
Cons
Wages are typical for non-profit industry
Poorly run agency with hugh turnover, high level of staff burnout and poor management.
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Brunswick Center and the Residential ProgramAugust 2, 2016
I did not have a good experience working for this agency. There were too many people in management roles and not enough people actually working with consumers. Management had unrealistic expectations of staff and did not provide adequate support or resources for staff members to perform their jobs effectively. The employees at the management level spent an inordinate amount of time in meetings where they did not appear to accomplish anything . They were generally removed from day to day operations and really had no idea what was required to meet the needs of the consumers. Direct support staff were treated poorly and overworked. This created an atmosphere where the morale was extremely low. The building that housed the day treatment facility was poorly maintained and was usually filthy.
Pros
I can't say anything positive about this place.
Cons
Low pay, unreasonable workload for direct care staff, really poor management, difficulty getting time off approved.
Horrible Management
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 18, 2016
They do not respect your personal life and any hardships you are forced to disclose to them is not kept private, very unprofessional and even went up the chain of command with nothing being taken care of.
Pros
Providing proper care of residents
Cons
they try not to allow a home life
human services
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYSeptember 25, 2015
The Arc of Rensselaer County is probably the best Arc in the state for serving the population it does, and treating them with dignity and respect. They were ahead of the curve with community integration and focusing on employment. The culture is generally open and accepting, and the staff lean politically liberal. The work is incredibly fulfilling.

However, it's also human services, which adds an element of chaos. Work schedules are unpredictable, and a day you set aside to do paperwork may end up with your juggling crises all day. Taking vacation time is a risky proposition, as you may return to find months of work demolished in your absence.

The pay is standard for non-profit, meaning, abysmal. The benefits are good for non-profit, though lacking compared to the for-profit sector.
Pros
Welcoming and open, attracts empathic people, ahead of the curve in respecting the people they serve
Cons
no room for advancement, residential staffing shortage, chaotic hours
fun place
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 29, 2015
great place to work, fun environment and they looked out for the peoples needs first.
Management was great, The individuals saw there dreams come through by going on vacations, cruises, plays etc. Overall the atmosphere was excellent
Able to help people to enrich their lives
Health Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 30, 2015
A typical day consists of helping people get ready for their day, such as getting dressed, giving meds, and sometimes bringing them into work. Sometimes I am able to bring them out to do something fun, like going to a baseball game or on vacation. I also bring them to their doctors' appointments. There is a lot of paperwork.

The most enjoyable part of this job is helping people to have a better quality life. I like that I can make a difference in their lives.

The hardest part is management. They let certain staff do things they shouldn't be doing because they are afraid they will quit or get fired and then have to cover those shifts. Or, if for some reason they don't like a particular staff member, they will write them up. I personally haven't had these type of issues but I have seen it happen many times.

Management also does not like to be questioned.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
low pay
Rewarding place where you can make a difference in people's lives
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 7, 2015
The work itself is very rewarding in that you are helping people to improve their lives in many ways, such as their health and wellness, daily living skills, and personal goals.
The hardest part of this job seems to be dealing with co-workers and management. People are hired who are unqualified and unprofessional. Management tells their workers to perform a task a certain way one day and then completely changes it the next.
There is also a major problem with when and if rules and policies are enforced. Upper and lower management pick and choose when and with whom they want to enforce policies.
Pros
rewarding to help others, excellent benefits
Cons
long hours, inconsistent enforcement of policies
A nice place to work
Residence Counselor (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYNovember 1, 2014
I enjoy working with other and helping them with their daily needs. It can be fun but also difficult at times. My co-workers and managers are nice and work as a team.
Good Job
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYMay 22, 2014
Good. i like it. flexible. however limited pay and opportunity for promotions. friendly people. fun job. god bosses
Caring environment with fun co workers and wonderful clients
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 28, 2013
I took care of individuals with people who needed daily assitance with daily activities of life which included, bathing, toileting, feeding, ambulatory, and other things as well. A typical day at work was pretty much getting the clients off the bus and taking them inside, fixing them a heathly snack, change them, do some activities with them that are not only fun but also assist with being able to live as independently as possible.Then we would have dinner; staff were encouraged to eat with their clients so it really felt like a home to them. After dinner, we would take some out for ice cream or a late movie, then home to get them changed and in bed for the night. The rest of the evening was spent to keep up on chores such as laundry, dishes,and other dailly cleaning chores.
I worked there for almost two years and I saw management change once or twice but the management never really improved from the last. There was always a negative vibe when they came in and there were problems with the assistant manager being unprofessional.
My co-workers were amazing! I spent a majority of my time with them so we all became very close. We really learned how to become a team and a family for our clients as well.
The hardest part of the job was probably the fact that we had to work long hours sometimes. I had to work at least 2 16-hour shifts a week because of short-staffing. Working that long makes you lose focus sometimes and can be a risk to the clients so the manangement tried to make sure it wouldn't happen very often, only on an emergency basis.
The most enjoyable part of the job
  more... was taking care of the clients. They became part of my family and I really cared for them. Whenever I think about working there, I feel so accomplished and feel like I contributed to something much bigger then myself and that's the absolute best feeling in the world.  less
Pros
great health care benefits
Cons
unprofessional management and poor wages
Excellent values, excellent leadership
Supported Employment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 9, 2012
It has been an honor working for this employer. The Arc is an agency that stands by Person Centered values during a time when resources are becoming increasingly scarce.

I have been provided with invaluable mentorship as well as a satisfying level of job autonomy; a balance not easy to develop. I thank them for allowing me to help people with disabilities, and helping me develop as a professional.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The ARC of Rensselaer County. Our community is ready to answer.

The ARC of Rensselaer County Reviews by Location