The ARC of Rensselaer County

The ARC of Rensselaer County Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible Management
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 18, 2016
They do not respect your personal life and any hardships you are forced to disclose to them is not kept private, very unprofessional and even went up the chain of command with nothing being taken care of.
Pros
Providing proper care of residents
Cons
they try not to allow a home life
fun place
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 29, 2015
great place to work, fun environment and they looked out for the peoples needs first.
Management was great, The individuals saw there dreams come through by going on vacations, cruises, plays etc. Overall the atmosphere was excellent
Able to help people to enrich their lives
Health Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 30, 2015
A typical day consists of helping people get ready for their day, such as getting dressed, giving meds, and sometimes bringing them into work. Sometimes I am able to bring them out to do something fun, like going to a baseball game or on vacation. I also bring them to their doctors' appointments. There is a lot of paperwork.

The most enjoyable part of this job is helping people to have a better quality life. I like that I can make a difference in their lives.

The hardest part is management. They let certain staff do things they shouldn't be doing because they are afraid they will quit or get fired and then have to cover those shifts. Or, if for some reason they don't like a particular staff member, they will write them up. I personally haven't had these type of issues but I have seen it happen many times.

Management also does not like to be questioned.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
low pay
Rewarding place where you can make a difference in people's lives
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 7, 2015
The work itself is very rewarding in that you are helping people to improve their lives in many ways, such as their health and wellness, daily living skills, and personal goals.
The hardest part of this job seems to be dealing with co-workers and management. People are hired who are unqualified and unprofessional. Management tells their workers to perform a task a certain way one day and then completely changes it the next.
There is also a major problem with when and if rules and policies are enforced. Upper and lower management pick and choose when and with whom they want to enforce policies.
Pros
rewarding to help others, excellent benefits
Cons
long hours, inconsistent enforcement of policies
A nice place to work
Residence Counselor (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYNovember 1, 2014
I enjoy working with other and helping them with their daily needs. It can be fun but also difficult at times. My co-workers and managers are nice and work as a team.
Good Job
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYMay 22, 2014
Good. i like it. flexible. however limited pay and opportunity for promotions. friendly people. fun job. god bosses
Caring environment with fun co workers and wonderful clients
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 28, 2013
I took care of individuals with people who needed daily assitance with daily activities of life which included, bathing, toileting, feeding, ambulatory, and other things as well. A typical day at work was pretty much getting the clients off the bus and taking them inside, fixing them a heathly snack, change them, do some activities with them that are not only fun but also assist with being able to live as independently as possible.Then we would have dinner; staff were encouraged to eat with their clients so it really felt like a home to them. After dinner, we would take some out for ice cream or a late movie, then home to get them changed and in bed for the night. The rest of the evening was spent to keep up on chores such as laundry, dishes,and other dailly cleaning chores.
I worked there for almost two years and I saw management change once or twice but the management never really improved from the last. There was always a negative vibe when they came in and there were problems with the assistant manager being unprofessional.
My co-workers were amazing! I spent a majority of my time with them so we all became very close. We really learned how to become a team and a family for our clients as well.
The hardest part of the job was probably the fact that we had to work long hours sometimes. I had to work at least 2 16-hour shifts a week because of short-staffing. Working that long makes you lose focus sometimes and can be a risk to the clients so the manangement tried to make sure it wouldn't happen very often, only on an emergency basis.
The most enjoyable part of the job was
  more... taking care of the clients. They became part of my family and I really cared for them. Whenever I think about working there, I feel so accomplished and feel like I contributed to something much bigger then myself and that's the absolute best feeling in the world.  less
Pros
great health care benefits
Cons
unprofessional management and poor wages
Excellent values, excellent leadership
Supported Employment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYApril 9, 2012
It has been an honor working for this employer. The Arc is an agency that stands by Person Centered values during a time when resources are becoming increasingly scarce.

I have been provided with invaluable mentorship as well as a satisfying level of job autonomy; a balance not easy to develop. I thank them for allowing me to help people with disabilities, and helping me develop as a professional.