The ARC of Rensselaer County

The ARC of Rensselaer County Employer Reviews

Caring environment with fun co workers and wonderful clients
Residential Counselor (Former Employee), Troy, NYApril 28, 2013
Pros: great health care benefits
Cons: unprofessional management and poor wages
I took care of individuals with people who needed daily assitance with daily activities of life which included, bathing, toileting, feeding, ambulatory, and other things as well. A typical day at work was pretty much getting the clients off the bus and taking them inside, fixing them a heathly snack, change them, do some activities with them that are – more... not only fun but also assist with being able to live as independently as possible.Then we would have dinner; staff were encouraged to eat with their clients so it really felt like a home to them. After dinner, we would take some out for ice cream or a late movie, then home to get them changed and in bed for the night. The rest of the evening was spent to keep up on chores such as laundry, dishes,and other dailly cleaning chores.
I worked there for almost two years and I saw management change once or twice but the management never really improved from the last. There was always a negative vibe when they came in and there were problems with the assistant manager being unprofessional.
My co-workers were amazing! I spent a majority of my time with them so we all became very close. We really learned how to become a team and a family for our clients as well.
The hardest part of the job was probably the fact that we had to work long hours sometimes. I had to work at least 2 16-hour shifts a week because of short-staffing. Working that long makes you lose focus sometimes and can be a risk to the clients so the manangement tried to make sure it wouldn't happen very often, only on an emergency basis.
The most enjoyable part of the job was taking care of the clients. They became part of my family and I really cared for them. Whenever I think about working there, I feel so accomplished and feel like I contributed to something much bigger then myself and that's the absolute best feeling in the world. – less
Excellent values, excellent leadership
Supported Employment Coordinator (Current Employee), Troy, NYApril 9, 2012
It has been an honor working for this employer. The Arc is an agency that stands by Person Centered values during a time when resources are becoming increasingly scarce.

I have been provided with invaluable mentorship as well as a satisfying level of job autonomy; a balance not easy to develop. I thank them for allowing me to help people with disabilities, – more... and helping me develop as a professional. – less