The ARC of Rensselaer County

The ARC of Rensselaer County Employee Reviews

Rewarding place where you can make a difference in people's lives
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Troy, NYJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: rewarding to help others, excellent benefits
Cons: long hours, inconsistent enforcement of policies
The work itself is very rewarding in that you are helping people to improve their lives in many ways, such as their health and wellness, daily living skills, and personal goals.
The hardest part of this job seems to be dealing with co-workers and management. People are hired who are unqualified and unprofessional. Management tells their workers to perform a task a certain way one day and then completely changes it the next.
There is also a major problem with when and if rules and policies are enforced. Upper and lower management pick and choose when and with whom they want to enforce policies.
A nice place to work
Residence Counselor (Current Employee), Troy, NYNovember 1, 2014
I enjoy working with other and helping them with their daily needs. It can be fun but also difficult at times. My co-workers and managers are nice and work as a team.
Good Job
Employment Specialist (Current Employee), Troy, NYMay 22, 2014
Good. i like it. flexible. however limited pay and opportunity for promotions. friendly people. fun job. god bosses
Caring environment with fun co workers and wonderful clients
Residential Counselor (Former Employee), Troy, NYApril 28, 2013
Pros: great health care benefits
Cons: unprofessional management and poor wages
I took care of individuals with people who needed daily assitance with daily activities of life which included, bathing, toileting, feeding, ambulatory, and other things as well. A typical day at work was pretty much getting the clients off the bus and taking them inside, fixing them a heathly snack, change them, do some activities with them that are not only fun but also assist with being able to live as independently as possible.Then we would have dinner; staff were encouraged to eat with their clients so it really felt like a home to them. After dinner, we would take some out for ice cream or a late movie, then home to get them changed and in bed for the night. The rest of the evening was spent to keep up on chores such as laundry, dishes,and other dailly cleaning chores.
I worked there for almost two years and I saw management change once or twice but the management never really improved from the last. There was always a negative vibe when they came in and there were problems with the assistant manager being unprofessional.
My co-workers were amazing! I spent a majority of my time with them so we all became very close. We really learned how to become a team and a family for our clients as well.
The hardest part of the job was probably the fact that we had to work long hours sometimes. I had to work at least 2 16-hour shifts a week because of short-staffing. Working that long makes you lose focus sometimes and can be a risk to the clients so the manangement tried to make sure it wouldn't happen very often, only on an emergency basis.
The most enjoyable part of the job was taking care of the clients. They became part of my family and I really cared for them. Whenever I think about working there, I feel so accomplished and feel like I contributed to something much bigger then myself and that's the absolute best feeling in the world.
Excellent values, excellent leadership
Supported Employment Coordinator (Current Employee), Troy, NYApril 9, 2012
It has been an honor working for this employer. The Arc is an agency that stands by Person Centered values during a time when resources are becoming increasingly scarce.

I have been provided with invaluable mentorship as well as a satisfying level of job autonomy; a balance not easy to develop. I thank them for allowing me to help people with disabilities, and helping me develop as a professional.

The ARC of Rensselaer County Salaries