The Arc of San Diego

The Arc of San Diego Employer Reviews

Worked with persons with disabilities
Direct Support Professional 1 (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 27, 2014
Pros: weekens off, paid holidays, benifits available.
Cons: not enough opportunities for carreer advancement unless you have degrees.
Worked in a Community Based Program which focused on Vocational Skills. Was in charge of my own caseload of 3 people. Took them to their jobsite on a daily bases Mon - Fri. I assured safety and supervised them to ensure they were performing the skills accurately but at the individuals own pace. I assisted them with their objectives and their goals for – more... each week which may include but not limited to grooming, coming to work with a neat appearance, money skills, leadership, etc... I got along with management and my co-workers very well. I was very reliable, flexible and dependable which meant that they could come to me for any assistance , change of worksites or groups, subbing for other co-worker of their duties. The hardest part of my job was saying goodbye. I loved everyone there, the consumers ( clients ), the staff, management. I just got real attached to everyone there . It was a wonderful experience. I enjoyed the people, the environment. Everyone from all departments. We were like family. The laughter that rang throughout the facility, the smiles , the conversations that were held with the consumers, the friends that were made there. this line of work as a whole is just amazingly rewarding. It was great. Nothing else like it. – less
Caregiving
House Lead Caregiver (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 19, 2014
Maintain professional communication with in house nurses, patients and staff.
hard work, underpaid.
Residential House Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 11, 2014
I really liked most of my co-workers and my superiors. Very rewarding work, but often hard. It was understaffed and hard to fill shifts as a supervisor.
Ideal for single people
QIDP (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 12, 2014
-It is a job with lots of responsibilities and being on-call is not fun.
No work life balance.
Residential Services (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 29, 2013
Pros: benefits, opportunity to learn, working w/people w/disabilities
Cons: low pay, change is slow, top heavy, undervalued staff
Your experience will greatly depend on what dept. you work in. Residential (CLS, namely the group homes) services is hands down the most difficult dept. and most under appreciated by the agency.
Group homes run 24/7 unlike the rest of the agency. Pay is the lowest here and these folks work the hardest. If you're just looking for work experience and – more... are in a place in your life where you can commit everything to an employer (that doesn't value you as they should) then you'll be fine. Or if you need/want experience working w/people w/disabilities this is a great training ground and there are some really wonderful and dedicated employees.
It's unfortunate that those at the top don't understand just how difficult it is to work in residential. If you're looking at a management role it's no better. Perpetually overworked and understaffed. The Arc has potential but they would benefit greatly by spending less money on the executive team and actually practice what they preach. – less
A great place to learn and improve.
DSP 1 (Current Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 7, 2013
My job consist or providing services for individuals with developmental disabilites.
The Arc of San Diego
teacher (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 22, 2013
Pros: flexibility! free training. the cutest kids ever!
Cons: lack of funding for program support and outreach
The Arc is a great place to work. You learn a lot of patience, understanding and compassion. I love helping families and enjoy being around the adults enrolled in the vocational training program. I only wish that the ARC had more opportunities for public outreach, inclusion and funding.
Very Rewarding
Resptie Services Provider (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 1, 2013
Pros: very rewarding
Cons: nearly impossible to work a full week. must work weekends in respite.
Management is awesome, very approachable and understanding.
Training is very helpful but you learn a lot on the job.
MUST BE PATIENT. Working with Special Needs is for certain kinds of people.
Very Rewarding
Resptie Services Provider (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 1, 2013
Pros: very rewarding
Cons: nearly impossible to work a full week. must work weekends in respite.
Management is awesome, very approachable and understanding.
Training is very helpful but you learn a lot on the job.
MUST BE PATIENT. Working with Special Needs is for certain kinds of people.