The Arc of Ulster-Greene Employee Reviews

Amazing place to be work
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYJune 4, 2017
The job is rewarding. Providing care and encouragement for everyday independence to people who just want to be treated with kindness is an amazing feeling
Meaningful and Fulfilling
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  UlsterMay 18, 2017
A meaningful and fulfilling job in which you are given the opportunity to make a significant difference in the lives of those you serve. The average salary, however, is low.
Great, fun work environment
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NY 12401March 21, 2017
The staff at the ARC of Ulster-Greene is exceptionally friendly and helpful. You always feel welcome and right at home. The individuals we support are, of course, a total delight. Management is very flexible and friendly, as well.
Pros
good benefits, friendly staff
Cons
n/a
fun
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2017
its a great place to work, but pay is terrible. with all the work you are given and your life is on the line for $10 an hour its not worth it. State worker get paid more and are well compensated
Worst place everrrr
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYJanuary 26, 2017
This place not good....joe one of the mangers fired me because inwas 3 weeks new and did not know how to fill out a paper cause they did not property show me dont ever work for here im telling you!!!!!!!! Mplaceis not worth it and mangers sucks they can shove that money up their butt
Helps in enhancing lives
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Community habilitation specialistDecember 4, 2016
They help in enhancing lives with individuals with various dissadvantages. They offer one on one contact with A weekly basis. They structure goal oriented skills to have the individuals live full lives.
Pros
Enhancing lives
Cons
The amount of activities in certain areas and weather conditions
Worst Human Service agency
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYNovember 2, 2016
The pay is well below for what any front line positin should be. I have a bachelors degree and it only got me an extra 50 cents per hour. There is little support from management and supervisors.
No good
Staff (Former Employee) –  Ulster GreeneOctober 23, 2016
This agency started out as an amazing place to work. It slowly stoped being about the people we work with and more about how much can we make. A staff won't get fired over abuse but god forbit you mess with their financial ei. Billing.
Pros
The individuals we work with
Cons
There is a major clique issue amongst the management. If one manager doesn't like you, forget working anywhere else.
Unorganized, Unprofessional, Uncaring, And Much More....
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYOctober 21, 2016
Undoubtedly, the most horrible place to ever work. Grant it, helping individuals is a wonderful thing, but the management does not care about the individuals or employees.

Management consists of uneducated, low life, bullies who continuously feel the need to push employees around. A lot of employees need this job for it's benefits, so they tolerate the unprofessional ways. Management is also allowed to run things there own way, denying employees pay for certain things employees are entitled to.

Complaints against management go nowhere. Higher ups are only concerned about billing, including billing for services not given. Higher ups do not watch over separate districts.

All in all, this organization is a mess. The state, justice system, etc...need to check into these thieves.
Pros
Helping individuals succeed
Cons
Unprofessional, Unorganized, Uncaring, And Much More
Job Seekers BEWARE!!
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYOctober 10, 2016
This agency is by far the most unprofessional and badly run agency I and other co-workers I have known there have ever encountered. The majority of administrators view staff under them (who are not their pets) like menial non-people, most especially the staff who genuinely care about the individuals! As the reviewer above mentioned, you will surely be targeted by lousy staff you are making look bad if you are a whistle blower or go out of your way to show concern for the disabled individuals.

Although this may not be the case in every program, for the most part co-workers are predatory in their hostility and are given free rein to continually target caring staff--even to the point of getting away with false allegations. The union tries to help, but is also treated in the same demeaning manner, and management refuses to meet with them for months and months on end to negotiate staff raises and benefits.

Unless you just want to get your foot in the field with their training (which is somewhat well-conducted), and then move on (as quickly as possible), don't waste your time applying to this shoddy agency!
Pros
union, some good benefits (which they keep raising the cost of), and the rewarding aspect of helping the disabled
Cons
Vicious staff including administrators who only protect their favorites, they treat caring staff like dirt!
Working with people with disabilities can give you a new perspective on life
Carpenter / Direct care worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYJune 8, 2016
I very much enjoyed working with the clientele, i met some of the nicest people i've ever worked with here.The pay stunk , but the benefits were great, Working here made me a better person , and it was my privilege to be involved.The hardest thing ive ever done occurred here, i was medication certified , working under the license of a nurse to administer medications to clients, i had to give a suppository to an eighty year old client,( and ive been shot at). just to be clear the problem wasn't the clients behavior, but my attitude, but it absolutely was the hardest thing ive ever done.
Pros
great people, rewarding feeling form helping people who need it and genuinly appreciate it
Cons
low pay, long hours
Fun job
Director of Community Development (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYNovember 12, 2015
I enjoyed working with the Foundation Board and recruiting new board members, working in the community and presenting the agency's mission and work. I enjoyed supervising the Events and Community Coordinator as well as providing feedback and recommendations for the agency's Foundation department.
Pros
Loved meeting new people
Cons
Long hours and long commute
Productive and Fun
Secretary/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYOctober 25, 2015
This was a great job. To ensure I don't include any personally identifiable information I'm going to make this short. It was a fun work place with supportive management.
Horrible place to work
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYSeptember 1, 2015
Work/ Life balance= impossible. Low pay for amount of work you must provide and situations you get into. Never room to advance. Favoritism through management,{office setting}, and management hard to deal with unless you are a suck up. Co- workers sneaky and thieves. Vacations hardly ever approved until last minute as well as calling in sick if you can get management to ever answer the phone. Would not waste your time investing in this company for you never get appreciated unless you like a magnet at Christmas time. Winter time they never close and you are expected to come in and sit in the office all day, never mind risking your life to get there. Union dues outrageous but yet your raises are roughly 1%. Union is not there to back you up if needed. On the upside benefits are great, but then again you need great benefits when you get involved in violent atmospheres.
Pros
helping individuals succeed, benefits
Cons
management, union dues, pay, work/life balance
Great Mission
Jr. Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYJuly 11, 2014
This company has a great mission and is very fulfilling to work for.
Terrible agency
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYOctober 16, 2013
The administration at this agency does not care about the intelluctally disabled population it is supposed to serve, nor does it care about it's employees. They claim to have an "open-door" policy yet they do not like when you try to use it, in fact, they terminate whistle blowers and people who actually do what they are supposed to.

You'll notice other reviewers highlight complacency and laziness in their positive reviews. If you want a rewarding job where you actually make a difference, this is not the place for you.

If you want to kick back on a urine stained couch and eat someone else's food, SIGN UP HERE.

Be prepared to be in a culture of blaming and finger pointing with poor management from above, all at the lowest wages in the field!
Pros
union
Cons
poor management, poor training, ethically corrupt
Good, Simple Job And Help People Live Better Lives
Residential Habilitation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gardiner, NYMay 25, 2013
A typical day of work for me at UGARC as a Residential Specialist working an evening shift is coming in roughly 3pm-11pm to a residence for 6 mentally disabled adults. Mostly in their 40s. They return from day programs and jobs and we cook dinner together, work on life skills like laundry, and go out to the movies, bowling, etc.
This job has given me great leadership skills, confidence, and people-skills. I constantly have to "be-in-charge" of a group and manage people. Management is typically very carefree and understanding as long as you have a good work ethic and provide what the state requires (which is pretty strict in NY).
The hardest part of the job is the hours and some boredom, as you have to do everything at the pace of the individuals.
The best part is feeling like you make a difference.
Pros
Simple work, lots of downtime
Cons
Little pay, sometimes boring
Never a dull moment!
Production Aide (Former Employee) –  Ellenville, NYApril 29, 2013
I've learned that simple caring is the most important thing anyone can do for another person. Management is always available if and when needed as well as co-workers. The hardest part of the job is always wanting to do more for the consumers. The most enjoyable part is knowing you get to be there for them again and they know it genuine.
Pros
health care benefits, four-10hr days
Great cause, weak approach
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYNovember 24, 2012
UGARC is tremendously valuable to the area. However, management could be more efficient and effective in nearly every facet of this non-profit organization.
Pros
decent health benefits
Cons
organization, communication, salary, turnover, it dept
Exciting rewarding experience
Shift supervisor/Day Hab Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYMay 21, 2012
Enjoyable assisting consumers with whatever goals and personal learning. I learned that at the end of the day I HELPED SOMEONE ! My manager was fair and understanding,co-workers were a team that functioned together well. The hardest part of the job was watching some consumers deterate. Such in life we all may at some point, however to know I was able to bring some joy to there life no matter how big or small, makes the job a rewarding experience.
Pros
holiday planning
Cons
a half hour lunch and 2 15 min breaks, would prefer a hour lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Arc of Ulster-Greene. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8