The Arc of Ulster-Greene

The Arc of Ulster-Greene Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible place to work
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYSeptember 1, 2015
Work/ Life balance= impossible. Low pay for amount of work you must provide and situations you get into. Never room to advance. Favoritism through management,{office setting}, and management hard to deal with unless you are a suck up. Co- workers sneaky and thieves. Vacations hardly ever approved until last minute as well as calling in sick if you can get management to ever answer the phone. Would not waste your time investing in this company for you never get appreciated unless you like a magnet at Christmas time. Winter time they never close and you are expected to come in and sit in the office all day, never mind risking your life to get there. Union dues outrageous but yet your raises are roughly 1%. Union is not there to back you up if needed. On the upside benefits are great, but then again you need great benefits when you get involved in violent atmospheres.
Pros
helping individuals succeed, benefits
Cons
management, union dues, pay, work/life balance
Fun job
Director of Community Development (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYNovember 12, 2015
I enjoyed working with the Foundation Board and recruiting new board members, working in the community and presenting the agency's mission and work. I enjoyed supervising the Events and Community Coordinator as well as providing feedback and recommendations for the agency's Foundation department.
Pros
Loved meeting new people
Cons
Long hours and long commute
Productive and Fun
Secretary/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYOctober 25, 2015
This was a great job. To ensure I don't include any personally identifiable information I'm going to make this short. It was a fun work place with supportive management.
Terrible agency
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYOctober 16, 2013
The administration at this agency does not care about the intelluctally disabled population it is supposed to serve, nor does it care about it's employees. They claim to have an "open-door" policy yet they do not like when you try to use it, in fact, they terminate whistle blowers and people who actually do what they are supposed to.

You'll notice other reviewers highlight complacency and laziness in their positive reviews. If you want a rewarding job where you actually make a difference, this is not the place for you.

If you want to kick back on a urine stained couch and eat someone else's food, SIGN UP HERE.

Be prepared to be in a culture of blaming and finger pointing with poor management from above, all at the lowest wages in the field!
Pros
union
Cons
poor management, poor training, ethically corrupt
Never a dull moment!
Production Aide (Former Employee) –  Ellenville, NYApril 29, 2013
I've learned that simple caring is the most important thing anyone can do for another person. Management is always available if and when needed as well as co-workers. The hardest part of the job is always wanting to do more for the consumers. The most enjoyable part is knowing you get to be there for them again and they know it genuine.
Pros
health care benefits, four-10hr days
Good, Simple Job And Help People Live Better Lives
Residential Habilitation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gardiner, NYMay 25, 2013
A typical day of work for me at UGARC as a Residential Specialist working an evening shift is coming in roughly 3pm-11pm to a residence for 6 mentally disabled adults. Mostly in their 40s. They return from day programs and jobs and we cook dinner together, work on life skills like laundry, and go out to the movies, bowling, etc.
This job has given me great leadership skills, confidence, and people-skills. I constantly have to "be-in-charge" of a group and manage people. Management is typically very carefree and understanding as long as you have a good work ethic and provide what the state requires (which is pretty strict in NY).
The hardest part of the job is the hours and some boredom, as you have to do everything at the pace of the individuals.
The best part is feeling like you make a difference.
Pros
simple work, lots of downtime
Cons
little pay, sometimes boring
Great cause, weak approach
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYNovember 24, 2012
UGARC is tremendously valuable to the area. However, management could be more efficient and effective in nearly every facet of this non-profit organization.
Pros
decent health benefits
Cons
organization, communication, salary, turnover, it dept
Exciting rewarding experience
Shift supervisor/Day Hab Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYMay 21, 2012
Enjoyable assisting consumers with whatever goals and personal learning. I learned that at the end of the day I HELPED SOMEONE ! My manager was fair and understanding,co-workers were a team that functioned together well. The hardest part of the job was watching some consumers deterate. Such in life we all may at some point, however to know I was able to bring some joy to there life no matter how big or small, makes the job a rewarding experience.
Pros
holiday planning
Cons
a half hour lunch and 2 15 min breaks, would prefer a hour lunch
Great Mission
Jr. Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYJuly 11, 2014
This company has a great mission and is very fulfilling to work for.

The Arc of Ulster-Greene Reviews by Location