The Arc Employee Reviews in United States

The impact you make on the kids is so important. It's definitely not just a job.
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAFebruary 17, 2016
The management is horrible to say the least. They often treated us employees as if we were the kids. Anytime I suggested something it was brushed off or shot down. They definitely undermine your authority in front of your students. My manager was highly disrespectful and the regional manager treated us as if we were replaceable when in fact they needed us more than we needed them. And on top of that, there were parents who were complete idiots and wouldn't parent their kids so we had to deal with the consequences of having a child that didn't respect adults. I will say though, the good parents are great. That means the parents that were involved with their kids and brought them up to be respectful to adults and act like they have some sense were amazing and very sweet and appreciative. A few of them actually got me presents(and they were really good presents) at the end of the school year to express their gratitude. That made me feel amazing and it let me know that I did something right since management literally never gave any of us employees validation for our hard work. DON'T and I repeat DON'T go into it thinking it's going to be easy money because you will have to work very hard. After all, there are kids watching you and they need to feel like they matter and like you enjoy your job. There are a lot of moments that are fulfilling and you should cling on to those because that's what makes it worth it.
Pros
Great for students (schedule), great impact on kids, Fulfilling, pretty stable work
Cons
Not enough pay for what you have to deal with, management(case by case), unpaid holidays and days off of school, no breaks
Its very employer frindly
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 16, 2016
Working as senior Soft ware engineer I am happy with work in this place its very passionate and innovative on working new technologies ..
It wasnt the job
DSP/Direct Support Provider (Former Employee) –  Demopolis, ALFebruary 15, 2016
it wasn't the job. the job wasn't hard or bad.. it was the management, the pay rate, the paid days off, the holiday pay. they didn't pay us right
Pros
they had awsome benefits
Cons
the pay wasnt enough for all the work that was required
Arc
Disability Support Provider (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 11, 2016
Going in and talking to the adults that are in the house, checking rooms, having conversation with employees about there their day as well as what is going on with the adults that we care for, if any of them need assistance that I can help with. I encourage the adults that I watch to make healthy decisions. My co-workers are very helpful and glad to give a hand at any point in time. The hardest part of the day is when they need help with showering, and making sure they have there medication . The most enjoyable part of my day is being there with them and having small talk and knowing that I am there for them if they need me .
Pros
going out in the community
Cons
healthcare
Fun but tiring
RESIDENTIAL PROGRAM AIDE (Former Employee) –  Butler, PAJanuary 20, 2016
Work lots of hours 40+
worked for fun individuals with intellectual disabilities
worked at several Houses
got to interact with clients on personal level
Pros
fun to work, lots of hours, benefits, lots of overtime
Cons
overnights
Busy work setting
Foundation Of Ventura County Phone Operator (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CAJanuary 16, 2016
Typical day at work schedule pick- ups, do paperwork, file. I learn how to deal with different situation in the most effective manner. Hardest part of the job is dealing with stubborn callers. Most enjoyable part of the job is fulfilling callers needs. Co-workers are all very nice, including the supervisors.
Pros
Friendly environment, health insurance, vacation pay
Cons
No advancement opportunities
ARC Thrift Store
Cashier/Organizer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 3, 2016
Arc thrift store has a lot of rules and regulations you have to follow. They have a flexible schedule as well. Great for students.
Working And Learning
Document Preparation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 3, 2016
While ARC is very cool and entertaining, at least that's what my group of coworkers would tell you, it is also very beneficial to those outside the work force looking for a way back in. It allows people of varying disabilities to learn new skills and trades for a better life when most of them will likely move on from the location to a better job for them.

What is a typical day at work? My group in scanning room I talk about everything from sports to some taboo topics that would rather not be discussed in an office setting. Our boss doesn't mind, but would rather not see us getting too out of hand.

What I learned from working here is that people come in many different shapes and styles and we all have to find our place where we belong at one point or another. That and keep doing what you know best and ask questions if you are unsure or need reassurance in what you are doing. The managers in each of the rooms will guide you through whatever you require assistance with.

Coworkers will vary but the ones I have are awesome to say the least. They help each other with everything and try to let people know that they are willing to assist each other when one of us falls behind while the rest have finished what is needed.

The hardest part of the job is when you start falling behind or can't seem to catch up with the others. You begin to have doubts until one of the teammates pulls you back up and helps you with the box in question.

The best part about where I work is the coworkers and people I work with as well as for. They are always pleasant to talk to and willing to
  more... lend a hand when you feel overwhelmed with a task.  less
Pros
Coworkers and staff who are willing to help
Cons
The hours and benefits
Temp service that provided me with a job.
O Rings/sorter (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVDecember 31, 2015
ARC places people with jobs, they placed me with Allevard Sogeif in quality. My day was fast pace, with a 10 minute break every 2 hours and a 20 minute lunch. It is hard to get a full time job working for ARC and I would have loved to got hired on at Allevard Sogeif. I got alone with co-workers, but I found there are lots of drama working with large amount of workers, but I worked with some good people.
Pros
Lots of free foods, company picnics, Christmas partys, department dinners. A growing and Caring company.
Cons
It is very hard to get hired in with Sogefi and keep a job.
Work-A-Day Work
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXDecember 27, 2015
Not much to say. It was typical desktop deployment work. We did change managing supervisors during the course of the deployment, and one of the supervisors was a much more effective leader than the other.
Pros
Flexible hours for family functions
Cons
Short lunches
awsome place to work
Residential Aid, assisting mentally challenged (Current Employee) –  Butler, PADecember 22, 2015
The ARC is a great place to work. You get to help clients in need with everyday life styles. All the supervisors are very nice and helpful. Also the benefits are very nice the only reason I am looking to go else where is there are currently no daylight shifts available and I am wanting to get off of the night shift
responsibility
Internship (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTDecember 22, 2015
i learn how to work side by side co- worker by learning new ways on having a open and a respectful relationship with my clients.
Was an excellent job
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALDecember 16, 2015
My typical day consist of making reservations for customers, up sale gold members, providing customer service. I learned a lot with this company, mostly how to be an independent and working by myself. The most enjoyable part of this job was working from home.
Pros
great benefits, great pay, great co workers
Cons
did not last long enough
Individuals were great
RESIDENTIAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Loxley, ALDecember 9, 2015
Not the individuals the coworkers no structure or guidelines to go by. They do what they want when they want to other than that I love working with the individuals that has special needs.
Great place
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CADecember 3, 2015
Great place to work for, company grew and it was more difficult to know people. Projects were challenging and exciting. management was not supportive.
Horrible pay and waves of micromanaging but lots of flexibility and PTO
DSP (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 30, 2015
My days are pretty enjoyable so long as management doesn't micromanage me or send out a passive aggressive email. Working with this population has been very rewarding and while we make way below the poverty line, even in managerial positions, the flexibility and PTO are very nice. It's also nice to have flexibility in your day and have the ability to be out and about.
The management is 50/50 with a huge margin when it comes to knowledge and support. Some really care about the staff and clients and get how challenging and under-paid our work is so they support their staff. Others are pretty incompetent and can create many barriers to doing meaningful work.
Because the turn over is so high, virtually nobody gets fired.
Overall, the work is ridiculously undervalued. It can be pretty stressful on some days so when you get a bad manager or director it can ruin your experience. On the other hand, when you have a good manager and a reasonable caseload it can be a really rewarding.
Pros
Flexible schedule, sick and vacation days, job security
Cons
Pay, management and directors
Autonomous environment which allows numerous opportunities for Teacher-student relationship building
Director (Current Employee) –  Columbus, NCNovember 16, 2015
I love the students and administration. Every superior here is the best Ive ever encountered, very helpful and collaborative administration. Would love more responsibility and more income/benefits.
Spent 22 years there
trainer/Lead (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILNovember 12, 2015
I worked for 22 years for the ARC and was a direct care staff, a senior direct care staff, a supervisor and a Specialist . My first love was direct care and being more hands on.
Fullfilling work place for individuals with mental retardation and staff.
HUMAN RESOURCES RECEPTIONIST CLERK II (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILNovember 10, 2015
Each day was different and enjoyable with new challenges daily. Had great co-workers in the HR department. The hardest part of my job was filling out an application for a person who could not read or write. I enjoyed the variety of work and the reward of seeing individual with mental retardation learn and live productive lives.
Pros
All holidays off.
Cons
Losing individuals due to illness.
excellent working environment
Rehabilitation floater supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albemarle, NCOctober 24, 2015
This organization incentatives was great for management and employees.
The training program was very informative and prepared employees for their responsibilities.
Pros
The training program
Cons
staff turnovers