The Aroostook Medical Center Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Productive work
Guest Relationship (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEMarch 11, 2017
You may know new people has a guest relationship working at the front desk at the hospital. It was a good experience at the time that I was there . I really recommended.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short Brreaks
Too many managers not enough hard workers
The lowest there is, and you are reminded. (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MENovember 25, 2016
I work there and have been trying to find some thing else for a couple months. It is the most vexing place on planet earth to work. You bust your behind and get crapped on while the ones who stumble around doing jack get rewarded, coddled, and praised. There is zero room for advancement, the pay for what you do is atrocious, and some of the people you encounter daily are nothing short of.... well I will leave that alone. There are some good ones I will admit. There are days where it really is not so bad but the bad does out weigh the good. Side note, the new CEO is fantastic and could well turn it all around. It starts by listening to the little people though.
Pros
Schedule stays relatively the same, unless your specific department manager is an idiot.
Cons
LAZY people, insanely complex and irritating hierarchy, two faced people up the wazzoo, drama factory, ZERO room for growth no matter your potential.
Hard working friendly atmosphere
Release of Information Technician (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MESeptember 30, 2016
I would answer multi-line phones, wait on customers coming into the department wanting medical records. Released medical records to various sites such as medical offices, lawyers, DHHS, Insurance companies ect. Familiar with HIPPA laws and patient confidentiality. Familiar with all office equipment. Microsoft office, Power chart and Centricity for retrieving electronic medical records. I also sorted and distributed mail. Invoiced. I loved the busy atmosphere, the friendly faces of the customers and the team environment. I enjoyed all aspects of the job.
Wonderful Nurses
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEJune 4, 2016
There are amazing nurses here, great to work with. Enjoyed working at TAMC very much and would return if the position was a good fit.
High standards to excel in job performance
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEJune 12, 2015
A typical 12 hour shift involves working in mother baby couplet assignments, attending deliveries, working with laboring patients, pediatric patients. The staff work well together and we "huddle" every couple hours and change assignments accordingly if needed.
Pros
enjoyable staff
Cons
not always able to get lunch break uninterrupted
Great people and great work enviroment
Travel RN in ICU (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEMarch 9, 2015
Such good people to work with and for! I miss it already! Everyone genuinely cares about the patients and take care of each other. It was such a small town intimate feel. I enjoyed working there.
Get to take a step back and look at the work and say I did that.
Volunteer-Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Aroostook CountyJuly 30, 2014
using a self push mower, weed wacky, mulch and weeded the flower beds.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Good experience in multiple areas.
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEJune 21, 2014
Typical day was 12hours 7-7 or 8-8. There would be anywhere from 2 -3 of us working per day. The person working 7-7 was responsible for patients with respiratory illnesses or exacerbations in ER, ICU, and delivery of treatments to general floor care as well.
The person working 8-8 would cover outpatient pulmonary function testing, and when there was no test schedule would return to help other RT with floor care.
They required us to carry the call pager because there was no 24 hour RT. So we carried it through the night and over the weekend. We rotated about once per month for weekends Fri, Sat., and Sun.
Weekly about twice per week.
We also took care of any related respiratory care tasks such as replacing o2 tanks, management responsibilities such as charge reconciliation, inventory management, and writing quality assurance goals or ways to improve quality of care for our department.

Other respiratory therapists were great. Some of the RN's were great too.

Management of our department was micro managed by four people. Three out of the four you would never see. The acting RT supervisor didn't allow us to use our own clinical judgement or trust our assessments. We weren't able to ask justifiable questions or ask to clarify why or what for MD orders.

Our department was in the basement, but good size for storage. Later found out that the room was extremely high with electro-magnetic radiation, we had to be moved, and relocated to a pt room that was no longer being used. It was small and we couldn't store hardly any equipment with us.

Hardest part of the
  more... job dealing with all of the micromanagement that went on with the lack of demonstrable leadership without gratitude when doing something well, and lack of unsupported educational opportunities.

Most enjoyable part was helping patients with therapies, performing pulmonary function tests on patients, educating patient's about medications, smoking cessation, and respiratory illness management.

I enjoyed giving inservices to the ER/paramedics about conventional ventilation and non-invasive ventilation during transport.

I enjoyed working with the staff in the ER because they were very much a team oriented environment in which we all helped each other in our own scopes of practices make our jobs less stressful during a high stress time.
Pros
Work in a variety of settings as a respiratory therapist.
Cons
Poorly managed RT department, and poor communication.
Fun and comfortable
Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEMay 13, 2014
I enjoyed the short amount of time that I worked at this company. The girls I worked with were very helpful, friendly and very knowledgeable. The manager was easy to talk to and very understanding with any personal matters.
Great place to work/ wanted to be closer to family
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEMay 9, 2014
Enjoyed my work experience at TAMC great group of co-workers

Want to know more about The Aroostook Medical Center?

Ask a question
The Aroostook Medical Center
Monitor Tech (Current Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEFebruary 19, 2014
A typical work day is prior to start of shift. I get report from the previous Unit Secretary/Monitor Tech. Then I fill out the patient board, print off telemetry strips and direct calls as they come in. I help the nurses locate any forms they may need to upcoming procedures, or page necessary staff when needed. If we obtain new admissions I get the chart set up and help the nurses with necessary items forms for admissions. If we have any discharges or transfers. I make sure the necessary documents are in order before the patient leaves and I mention to the nurses anything they need to do prior to the patient leaving. I also call up to the other department I monitor telemetry for and notify them of any rhythm changes. I will document this notification and the person I talk to.
Pros
Unit has great team work.
Cons
No advancement for certified nursing assistants.
Was a good place
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle MaineDecember 13, 2013
I would work on the computer all day. I learned that I dont like collecting money from people but that doing well at a job is still the most important thing. Management was great, my co-workers were really good people. The hardest part of this job was sitting at a desk all day. Most enjoyable part was the nice people that I got to meet.