The Art Institute of Chicago

The Art Institute of Chicago Employee Reviews

creative, fast paced environment
Department Technician Modern and Contemporary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2016
A good amount of variety from day to day. Co-workers are knowledgeable and easy to work with. relatively good pay. exposure to new art all the time.
Pros
working with the collection, courier trpis
Cons
fairly limited growth potential
It's an Honor to Work Here!
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  116 Michigan AveNovember 9, 2016
I work in IT within Central Admin, which touches on both the museum and the school of the Art Institute, and it has been such a pleasure to work here! My team members are wonderful, the work/life balance is taken seriously, the benefits are off the charts, and it's location within the loop is great.
Benefits
Busy busy busy
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 2, 2016
Typical is not typical here.Sometimes too busy for words.Other times slow and steady.Very diverse workplace.Learned soooo many new things about the museum and people in general.Eccentric and oddball place yet one of a kind.
It was for experience only
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2016
It was an on call job, where I would be called into the museum or another building to do volunteer work. I would either sort mail or assist one of the archive workers.
Aic
Field Training Officer/ Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2015
I have learned a lot working at The Art Institute. Picked up some great skills and experiences. My coworkers are like my family. We have grown to love one another as such.
Visitor Service
Visitor service (Former Employee) –  ChicagoSeptember 4, 2015
Check people coats
Stock museum store
scan ticket
organize museum store
help visitors fin specific art
help visitors find bathrooms and restaurant
Laid back atmosphere, cool bosses, easy upward mobility
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2015
Every day, you clock in at 9:30 am, do a walk-through where you clean the checkroom, put maps of the museum on display, etc. Then you attend a meeting hosted by one of the managers, most items pertaining to ticket pricing and attendance statistics. Then you hang coats and check bags all day until 5:15 pm. There is a 45 minute break and a 20 minute break. You close the register at the end of the day, clock out and go home.
Pros
healthcare, dental, PTO, cool bosses, nice atmosphere
Cons
easily disgruntled customers, very busy winters, longer days when it rains.
Working at the Art Institute
Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2015
My work day starts at 10pm, I am a security manager for campus security. I start my day by going round to all of the 7 buildings the campus has. I talk to the security officers to check if they need anything. I then go back to the security office and do paper work, check incident reports, and monitor cameras. This is a typical day.
Pros
Pay and Hours
Cons
Co-workers Gossip
Art Institute of Chicago
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2015
The Art Institute allowed for me to not only experience many different pieces of culture, but to meet and converse with many interesting people.
Do Not Apply!!!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago,ilJuly 18, 2014
I worked for the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and let me say this is a horrible place to work. There are a few good employees, but overall the employees in this place are rude and pretty much stuck in their ways. Management is a joke and completely disengaged, not to mention if something goes wrong you will be thrown under the bus. HR is even worse, if you apply and interview please pay attention to the red flags.
Pros
Free admission to local attractions.
Cons
HR, Management, staff
Work Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 15, 2014
A typical day at work here included: Greeting school groups, answering phones, organizing papers, orientating school groups.
Great Experience Gained.
Graphic Design Intern (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2014
Training received, learnt how to work quick and communicate with the clients and the responsibility of my role. From the foundations up, I am taught how to create a structural system in a working environment and adapt well to it.
Engaging, challenging, exciting place to work
Thesis Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2014
I'm only part-time faculty, but I love this place. The culture is lively, fractious, serious, funny, intense, and so diverse in terms of interests, projects, initiatives, and approaches.
very hard to advance, but benefits are nice
visitor services (Former Employee) –  museumJanuary 27, 2014
Very hard to communicate with other departments. Very hard to advance within company. Great perks of visiting the museum and viewing the collections. Benefits are good both for insurance and discount programs. Fun to meet and greet guests who enjoy and appreciate art. Hours are moderately flexible.
Pros
benefits, art, art enthusiasts
Cons
lack of communication within departments and intetdepartmentally, difficult to advance
A day at work
Inventory Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 6, 2013
A typical day involves me starting my day inputting restock orders via data entry for merchandise needed on the sales floor, for all three stores all during the day, next I restock each register with supplies needed for the day bags,boxes, wrapping tissue etc.. next I check each order for correctness of quanties, prices, and product and deliver to sales floor. I cancel out damages and send unsellable inventory back to vendors. Communication with managers is foggy at best but i work around it, I get along fine with all co-workers. The hardest part of the day involves me doing duplicate orders for the store and wasting time returning it to stock room. the most enjoyable part of my job is keeping busy and making the day go by i can always find something to work on
benefits
Cons
unorganized enviroment within department
Gotta love animals
Guest Relations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 22, 2013
Working at the Shedd a person learns so much about animals and customer service you are able to apply it to everyday life and other jobs, the animals are great the people are fun, you have to have a lot of energy
Pros
free lunch on busy days, and pretty animals
Cons
pay not good, and no benefits
A good place to work at ; fun and rewarding
Human Resources- Rover (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2013
Although I have worked at the Institute - both School & Museum for many years ; I am now only on their temp. staff - currently working a verity of part time assignments and I am enjoying the verity of it all especially being of service to students.
Pros
diversity, flexible, great people and students - wonderful enviornment
Cons
it is very difficult to secure a permanent position without a degree
Amazing place to work that offers a lot of perks to employees
Member Relations Manager (Current Employee) –  ChicagoFebruary 19, 2013
Knowledge of all events in the museum and communication is key when you work in the Membership department at the AIC. I have 6 employees that field Member Relations emails and phone calls. A typical day at work starts at 9am sharp. We open one line for incoming calls, use another line to check voice mails and log into the Member Relations email system to return emails. During the first part of the day I manage the team and membership outreach and the second part of my day is spent on pulling data for writing reports on trends and errors.
In fiscal year 2012, Member Relations communicated with approximately 65,000 members from a 100k membership base. My position is unique as I support the staff with helping answer emails and phone calls while keeping them looped into whats happening in the museum and writing reports for senior management. I also manage the Member Lounge, which consists of scheduling of Member Relations staff, working with Volunteer Services for additional staffing, working with catering to ensure coffee service and working with housekeeping to make sure the Lounge stays clean. I'm also the in-between manager that supports the On Site Sales Team; regularly communicating relevant membership/museum information to guarantee world class customer service to our members.

I've learned to be more precise and clear when communicating and have a heightened sense for attention to detail.

My co-worker's are the most amazing people I have had the opportunity to work with. They are kind and always willing to help out; which is very important in an environment that has few
  more... resources.

The hardest part of the job is moving up within the organization. Positions are few and people just don't leave. It seems like the trend is to leave the institution to gain experience and then come back to a higher position.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with people who love the AIC and what the institution stands for. I also love the ability to walk through the galleries and look at art before the museum opens to the public.
Pros
great benifits and perks
Cons
long working hours, little oppurtunity for growth and career advancement
World class museum with numerous employee perks
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 2, 2012
Comprehend, develop and communicate production process to the design team. Review and correct internal design files, ensure they meet specifications. Develop, update and obtain approvals for submission to vendors. Communicate with vendors to ensure projects are delivered and invoiced on time and within budget. Maintain project folders. Present production presentations to clients. Keep management fully informed of project activity.
Art Institute of chicago
Protection Service Officer II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2012
Even though I'm no longer with this company i would like to say I love this job. I was heartbroken when it was revoked by a lie someone told. The pple, the enviornment, and the management were great. I have nothing to say.
benefits
Cons
no longer employed with this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Art Institute of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

The Art Institute of Chicago Reviews by Job Title