The Art Institute of Chicago Employee Reviews

Review for Warehouse
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2017
Do not work for the museum warehouse. The director of the warehouse is a jerk, and the warehouse manager does not know what he is doing. Oh, and by the way, neither of those two individuals like each other which adds to tensions in the workplace. The warehouse manager makes a lot of mistakes in his job and when he is caught, will blame someone else for his mistakes. Honestly, AIC does not need the warehouse for their museum shops given that most of the products they have are decades old and could be liquidated easily to eliminate the warehouse.
Great place to work.
Campus Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 29, 2017
This job had the best co-workers I have ever had the pleasure of working with.It was truly a team work effort on everyone's part.I patrolled between te five buildings on campus.I distributed the payroll checks to the officers at all sites.as well as relived everyone for lunch periods.Patrolled the dorms,checked student ID and issued visitor passes for entry into the buildings.
Pros
Great co-workers and enviorment
Cons
job outsourced
I had a positive experience at the institute meeting all kinds of exciting people. For me, that was the thing that I enjoyed the most.
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2017
I did a lot of duties at the Institute. I washed dishes, setup and broke down equipment for special events. I learned a lot of customer service skills because I also worked in the restaurant at the Art Institute and you come across a lot of people. I had no problem with management while there. Work place culture was to me exciting and fast pace at times,but fun because you had to work on a time frame for certain events. The hardest part of the job to me, was customer service cause when you work for the public, it can at times be hectic. The most enjoyable was the people that I interacted with that is what I remember the most people coming and going through the doors of the Institute.
Pros
The people you see and meet.
Cons
Not really a con, but at times you had to work on a timly basis due to work schedule.
student lab attendant
Photo Annex Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2017
Working in the media centers was a great job when I was in school. The culture is amazing and it is a great way to meet new people. They are extremely flexible with working around your class schedule. I learned a lot about technology from working there as well.
The Art Institute is a fun place to work
Accounting Clerk - Cashier II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2017
The Art Institute {the school} is always interesting and fun.
The students are very artistic and intelligent. The school is more than art, It has fashion web development and or design, etc.
Just terrible.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2017
Working in the museum shop has been treacherous in multiple ways:

Coworkers are competitive and petty when it comes to making sales goals.

PTO exists but good luck trying to use it - every day I've tried to take off was denied with no real explanation.

Pay is TERRIBLE.

Most of your lunch and break time is eaten up by traveling to your locker and time clock to punch out. So realistically, your breaks are half of what they're supposed to be.

Managers are totally absent. They're forgetful, unaware of employee needs and concerns, never on the salesfloor and overall not very kind or understanding people.

Interviewing process was unnecessarily vigorous for what the position actually is.

High turnover position. Always hiring. People always leaving.
Pros
Can't think of one
Cons
Pay, Management, Environment
Love my supervisor
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  CHICAGO, ILLINOIS. USAJune 26, 2017
The most enjoyable about this job was that it was structured and predictable. I loved working with my supervisor and learned administration skills from her. I loved the people I met in this office.
Pros
Fitted perfectly into my life as an artist
Cons
Payed little
Excellent museum to volunteer.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 22, 2017
I've been a volunteer at the AIC for 20 years and will continue to do so. I enjoy the interaction with the staff and the public who visit the museum from around the world.
Pros
Meeting other volunteers who are enthusiastic about the museum
Favorite place ever
Volunteer Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2017
Working here taught me so much about art and artists and myself. I learned how to be a leader and developed an appreciation for all art, whether or not I understood the message.
Working for a Mission
Public Affairs (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2017
A beautiful, memorable place to work, the Art Institute of Chicago offers varied professional opportunities centered on providing Chicago and the world an unrivaled cultural and civic institution.
Fun and Productive work space
Teen Council Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2017
Working at the Art Institute of Chicago was one of the best experiences of my life. I was educated in different aspects of the museum while working which made my experience memorable.
Excellent place to work
Executive Secretary to the Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2017
During my 10 years there, I learned so much of customer service, I met so many wonderful people and learned so much about Art. The best part of the job was I was able to provide private tours for VIP, celebrities
Pros
Beautiful place to work and visit
Cons
They cut positions
Decent place to work
Visitor Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2017
The pay sucks but it was a wonderful learning/growing experience.Very diverse in terms of the type of employees that are there.Management is terrible,but things are changing.
Pros
Meeting people from all over the world
Cons
The pay
Interesting place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2017
The AIC Museum Shop was a very interesting place to work. On a daily basis, you come across hundreds of people visiting the museum, or just shopping in the shop. The shop had many interesting and diverse items for sale.
Pros
Free entrance to a world-class museum!!
Cons
Low pay, lack of significant advancement opportunities
SAIC often lacks managers properly equipped to manage effectively
Instructional Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2017
SAIC often lacks managers properly equipped to manage effectively. Internal politics can lead to conflict. HR is a mess.
Pros
7 hr work week, massive amounts of PTO
Cons
horrible pay rates
Learning a Lot
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2016
My interview process went very smoothly. Lots of friendly faces, professional, timely responses. Working for such an important Chicago landmark has been great. Would recommend to a friend.
Benefits
Cons
Don't have weekends off
creative, fast paced environment
Department Technician Modern and Contemporary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2016
A good amount of variety from day to day. Co-workers are knowledgeable and easy to work with. relatively good pay. exposure to new art all the time.
Pros
working with the collection, courier trpis
Cons
fairly limited growth potential
It's an Honor to Work Here!
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  116 Michigan AveNovember 9, 2016
I work in IT within Central Admin, which touches on both the museum and the school of the Art Institute, and it has been such a pleasure to work here! My team members are wonderful, the work/life balance is taken seriously, the benefits are off the charts, and it's location within the loop is great.
Benefits
Busy busy busy
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 2, 2016
Typical is not typical here.Sometimes too busy for words.Other times slow and steady.Very diverse workplace.Learned soooo many new things about the museum and people in general.Eccentric and oddball place yet one of a kind.
It was for experience only
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2016
It was an on call job, where I would be called into the museum or another building to do volunteer work. I would either sort mail or assist one of the archive workers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Art Institute of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

The Art Institute of Chicago Reviews by Location