The Art Institute Employee Reviews in United States

Good atmosphere for the right person
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 29, 2016
Love being around artistic people. Co-workers were great. Hard work is required here and it pays off well. Must be self motivated
Pros
Opportunity to grow
Cons
Long work hours...very stressful...school is expensive
Fun and inspirational workplace
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CANovember 3, 2015
Nice place to work with supportive staff. You have many options on working at your own pace. Colleagues are very knowledgeable and helpful not just to clients but to anyone and very flexible with hours. regularly
Pros
Oranized managment and regularly scheduled lunch in meetings.
Cons
Wish they didnt take walk - in hours away. This made it more difficult to get clients.
Enjoyed my Time
Student (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 21, 2015
As a student who was able to utilize the facilities to the utmost, I gained a great deal of experience in the recording studio, the live sound room and on the control boards. I learned digital audio programs such as ProTools and Logic.
Productive day for Mercedes Benz fashion week
Head Dresser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2015
At The Art Institute of New York City I worked as a head dresser for Mercedes-Benz fashion week, my job was to help all dresser.
good overall environment, poor specific environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 2, 2015
The Art Institute itself is a wonderful environment to be in. The Museum Shop holds a negative atmosphere due to micromanagement and half the staff giving 110% everyday and the other half of staff ignoring every other aspect of the job other than selling. The customer base included members of the museum, visitors, and tourists from all over the world--they were the best part of the day at work.
fun
Student (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2015
fun place to work with supportive staff. not all about the numbers but more about the people i was a student dont go to the north campus
blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah
Greatest school
Student (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 27, 2015
I attended the Art Institute of Denver right after I graduated high school. It had been my dream school since the 8th grade and I was born and raised in Colorado so I was very excited to go. The instructors are great and the curriculum is very hands on. Unfortunately I transferred to a different AI but I would definitely recommend Denver to anyone who asked.
It is a productive workplace
Baker's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orange countyAugust 4, 2015
In this job I have learned almost all the different types of fruits and vegetables. The best of this job is that everyone is very friendly.
Recent Graduate
Store Manager, GNC (Current Employee) –  York, PAJuly 15, 2015
Studies covering Graphic Design. Experience in Adobe Creative Suite. Also creating solutions to multiple design issues.
Classroom environment is terrific; corporate involvement is a big negative.
Full-time Instructor, Graphic Design Department (Current Employee) –  York, PAMay 22, 2015
Teaching at an Art Institute has been a personally rewarding experience. Unfortunately, due to corporate mismanagement, the school I teach at is one of 15 scheduled to close due to this.
A fun place to work
Career Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 18, 2015
I work standard hours and my job is very flexible and gives me room to handle personal business. My co workers are good people and are very positive about changes.
Pros
on the job massages, and restaurants on campus.
Cons
takes them a long time to replace a position once a person resigns.
Great Fun Exciting
HIGH SCHOOL COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Las vegas NVSeptember 18, 2014
Great fun and very exciting wished management was better!

Management needed to be a little better
Pit Stop type of job
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix officeAugust 1, 2014
Overall you will encounter amazing staff and students. The management are extremely shady and treat the workers like they are children. You will get tired of selling 93K programs to students who work at Walmart and lying about post job prospects for them. The for-profit industry as a whole is just a big lie. This place is just a pit stop where you can come and make an okay living for a short time and then leave. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting paid bi-weekly and the fun game days that are few and far between.
Pros
okay pay rate 40k per year
Cons
shady management, stressful culture, hypercritical policies and procedures
Absolutely the WORST job ever! RUN AWAY FAST Unless you are truly desperate.
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  North HoustonJuly 28, 2014
When I was hired as an Assistant Director of Admissions, I was led to believe that I would be performing certain job duties. After one week, the person who hired me, the president of that campus, was fired. Then one week later the other person I interviewed with transferred. A completely horrible and very young person came in and took over as the supervisor of my department. She had the worst management skills ever and tried to manage by creating a fearful climate. Everyone despised her.
I quickly learned that my years of experience in marketing were of no interest to her. I basically learned to my horror that this job is the same as a telemarketer. The entire day was spent making around 100 phone calls to people who rarely if ever had a shred of interest in going to Ai North in Houston. I was cussed out (often by a non-English speaking person) and hung up on more times than I can remember. If I ever got someone on the phone who actually "might" want to know more about the school, I had a script to read in order to sign them up for a visit. Once I conducted my canned visit, I was expected to have them sign up to attend this very, very expensive school on the spot! Since many of these "candidates" could not even afford the application fee, I felt it was highly unlikely that even if they could get a loan, they couldn't afford to go there. I was under intense pressure to "make my monthly numbers" by signing up a pre-set number of people.

While I realize there might be a few, a very few people who could (under ideal circumstances) benefit from such an educational institution, but
  more... after 4 months of sheer misery, I couldn't take it anymore. I would truly rather have worked at McDonalds that push a school like this on often uneducated, poor people who were often accompanied by non-English speaking parents. It felt wrong and I am very sorry I wasted 4 months working in such a place. Most of the few people I got to know while I put in my time at AiN were fired fairly soon after I quit for various reasons that sound very petty. They are all now in much better places.

Even though I left this dreadful place over 3 years ago, someone asked me about working there recently and I felt ill. I am writing this to save others from wasting precious time in their working careers. This is 4 months that I can't get back, but I can at least make it known to anyone considering work as an Assistant Director of Admissions, or any other role at an Art Institute school.... You've been warned.
Pros
decent salary
Cons
incredible pressure to sign up people to attend the school, appalling bad management, horrible micromanaging techniques, feeling tricked into taking a tacky telemarketing job instead of actually helping people.... etc, etc, etc...
Micromanaged and little respect
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF ADMISSIONS (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 6, 2014
100 phone calls a day, extremely micromanaged, coworkers are great, however management and upper academic management are blind to the reality of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the students. The worst parts are the micromanagement and the management/organization.
Pros
health insurance, company matches up to 6% on 401k
Great workplace
Senior Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 10, 2014
A great place to work with great benefits.

A great executive team who is committed to student success.
Pros
challenging fast paced environment
Waiter
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2014
remove empty dishes when customers were finished, stock product,
Repetitive grind
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ OHEApril 15, 2014
A typical day at work can include being hung up on multiple times, sworn at by the people that DO answer the phone, and dealing with children masquerading as adults.
Financial aid has many ins and outs that the typical person would never understand without help, too many Americans are drowning in student loan debt and default.
Direct management is great, upper level management does not listen to suggestions of lower level employees.
Politics
Cons
constant fear of being laid off
Good job opportunity, just lacks organization.
Bon Appetite (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2014
A typical day at The Art Institute consist of cooks giving you list of things they'll need for that nights banquet. Somedays you'll be prep cooking, washing dishes ,cleaning or organizing the coolers so getting familiar with every incoming product is a requirement. But its not difficult to handle.
Pros
free food, beautiful work area, nice co workers
Cons
poor organization, weekly work schedule always posted late
High Turnover
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 17, 2014
Long hours with limited support. Little to no chance of advancement. Upper mang. just retired and is now in the rebuilding stages