The Art Institute

The Art Institute United States Employee Reviews

Great Fun Exciting
HIGH SCHOOL COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Las vegas NVSeptember 18, 2014
Great fun and very exciting wished management was better!

Management needed to be a little better
Pit Stop type of job
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix officeAugust 1, 2014
Pros: okay pay rate 40k per year
Cons: shady management, stressful culture, hypercritical policies and procedures
Overall you will encounter amazing staff and students. The management are extremely shady and treat the workers like they are children. You will get tired of selling 93K programs to students who work at Walmart and lying about post job prospects for them. The for-profit industry as a whole is just a big lie. This place is just a pit stop where you can come and make an okay living for a short time and then leave. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting paid bi-weekly and the fun game days that are few and far between.
Absolutely the WORST job ever! RUN AWAY FAST Unless you are truly desperate.
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee), North HoustonJuly 28, 2014
Pros: decent salary
Cons: incredible pressure to sign up people to attend the school, appalling bad management, horrible micromanaging techniques, feeling tricked into taking a tacky telemarketing job instead of actually helping people.... etc, etc, etc...
When I was hired as an Assistant Director of Admissions, I was led to believe that I would be performing certain job duties. After one week, the person who hired me, the president of that campus, was fired. Then one week later the other person I interviewed with transferred. A completely horrible and very young person came in and took over as the supervisor of my department. She had the worst management skills ever and tried to manage by creating a fearful climate. Everyone despised her.
I quickly learned that my years of experience in marketing were of no interest to her. I basically learned to my horror that this job is the same as a telemarketer. The entire day was spent making around 100 phone calls to people who rarely if ever had a shred of interest in going to Ai North in Houston. I was cussed out (often by a non-English speaking person) and hung up on more times than I can remember. If I ever got someone on the phone who actually "might" want to know more about the school, I had a script to read in order to sign them up for a visit. Once I conducted my canned visit, I was expected to have them sign up to attend this very, very expensive school on the spot! Since many of these "candidates" could not even afford the application fee, I felt it was highly unlikely that even if they could get a loan, they couldn't afford to go there. I was under intense pressure to "make my monthly numbers" by signing up a pre-set number of people.

While I realize there might be a few, a very few people who could (under ideal circumstances) benefit from such an educational institution, but – more... after 4 months of sheer misery, I couldn't take it anymore. I would truly rather have worked at McDonalds that push a school like this on often uneducated, poor people who were often accompanied by non-English speaking parents. It felt wrong and I am very sorry I wasted 4 months working in such a place. Most of the few people I got to know while I put in my time at AiN were fired fairly soon after I quit for various reasons that sound very petty. They are all now in much better places.

Even though I left this dreadful place over 3 years ago, someone asked me about working there recently and I felt ill. I am writing this to save others from wasting precious time in their working careers. This is 4 months that I can't get back, but I can at least make it known to anyone considering work as an Assistant Director of Admissions, or any other role at an Art Institute school.... You've been warned. – less
Micromanaged and little respect
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF ADMISSIONS (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJuly 6, 2014
Pros: health insurance, company matches up to 6% on 401k
100 phone calls a day, extremely micromanaged, coworkers are great, however management and upper academic management are blind to the reality of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the students. The worst parts are the micromanagement and the management/organization.
Great workplace
Senior Director of Admissions (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAJune 10, 2014
Pros: challenging fast paced environment
A great place to work with great benefits.

A great executive team who is committed to student success.
Waiter
Janitor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 16, 2014
remove empty dishes when customers were finished, stock product,
Repetitive grind
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZ OHEApril 15, 2014
Cons: constant fear of being laid off
A typical day at work can include being hung up on multiple times, sworn at by the people that DO answer the phone, and dealing with children masquerading as adults.
Financial aid has many ins and outs that the typical person would never understand without help, too many Americans are drowning in student loan debt and default.
Direct management is great, upper level management does not listen to suggestions of lower level employees.
Politics
Good job opportunity, just lacks organization.
Bon Appetite (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2014
Pros: free food, beautiful work area, nice co workers
Cons: poor organization, weekly work schedule always posted late
A typical day at The Art Institute consist of cooks giving you list of things they'll need for that nights banquet. Somedays you'll be prep cooking, washing dishes ,cleaning or organizing the coolers so getting familiar with every incoming product is a requirement. But its not difficult to handle.
High Turnover
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMarch 17, 2014
Long hours with limited support. Little to no chance of advancement. Upper mang. just retired and is now in the rebuilding stages
Thanksful for the Opportunity
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 6, 2014
I loved my campus director as a mentor. My role directly effected students lives.
AIFW
Media Arts Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Fort WorthMarch 6, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
This is the best place I have ever worked! The management team is understanding and nurturing, compensation is beyond fair, and if they ask you to teach a class, that class will "make." I say "make" because some schools will ask you to commit your time, but then at the last minute let you know that they had no students sign up for it so, you don't have a class to teach.
Great culture and work environment
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 31, 2014
Love to go to work and see my coworkers and management staff. Everyone helps each other and makes it fun place to work.
Working environment
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee), San Bernardino, CAJuly 8, 2013
It is very difficult to advance with this organization. Only certain departments are able to advance. Leadership is a work in progress. There are many missing links to the developments of leadership.
For Profit Institution
Academic Advisor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 12, 2013
Pros: the students
Cons: low pay, culture and job security
The Art Institute is part of a larger company called EDMC, and it isn't a real college. This is a business that prays on the underrepresented and at-risk students. The management is incompetent and only concerned with numbers/profit. I think it's a terrible place to work if you're looking for a career in education. EDMC has been under federal scrutiny for years...BEWARE!
Excellent place to work
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2013
People are very knowledgeable. Excellent communication skills.
fun place to learn
Student (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 3, 2013
I had alot of fun in this envirment very positive people.I learned alot about music and the equipment.
Technician (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 19, 2012
Pros: great people
Cons: corporate oriented
Productive place. Great people. all around good place to work especially with great technology updated yearly which is always up to date.
Work Study
IT Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 19, 2012
Pros: free print
Cons: short break
Assisting teachers and students with any technical issues.
High pressure sales. Lots of daily goals.
Admissions Representative (Current Employee), Tempe, AZDecember 17, 2012
I would make at least 100 outbound phone calls, but learned if you have that person who is interested in going to school, try and keep them on the phone and let them know what we have to offer. When I first started the management was very good, now they do a lot of micro managing. My co-workers are great. The hardest part of my job is trying to stay focus on making phone calls when no one is answering. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping change someone life by getting them into school.
Not a good place to work
Coordinator (Current Employee), Fort LauderdaleDecember 2, 2012
Pros: days off
Cons: salary
Disliked being there ... worst place to work.
Management had no clue as to how to run any department.