The Associated Press Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun most times.
Senior Computer and Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 15, 2015
Typical day involved working on issues for users in the office and most importantly taking care of the co-op of newspapers, Radio, and TV stations that would have problems.

All about the news industry

Management was mostly good I had some good managers and some not so good managers.

Co-workers were always the best when it came to work.

The hardest part was working on some old of the oldest stuff used in the industry. i.e. teletypes, old infrastructure dating to the fifties.

Meeting new people in the communications field.
Pros
Learning to work by yourself and not depend on co-workers
Cons
union contracts, healthcare, sometimes management.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2016
Great benefits. Excellent working environment. Very Stressful job. Changing priorities. There's nothing more that I care to say about this job.
Productive, demanding, and fast paced environment
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2015
Newsgathering is a 24/7 business. The employees have to be extremely knowledgeable about their areas of expertise/responsibility. Work is very time sensitive, and accuracy is a must. Employees usually have to bring a great deal of experience to any role, so one might not look to it as a place to start a career, but rather a place to aspire to within that industry. Training received was primarily obtained from being on-the-job.
Great Company + Great People
Senior Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2015
As a freelance senior producer at AP Television, I was treated as part of the team. Great crews in-house and on the road. You need a tight strong team to be able to work breaking news stories or long house staked out to cover a live event.
Pros
Teamwork, supportive, educational
Cons
Long Hours, Limited room to grow
Great Colleagues. No room for advancement
Corporate Finance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2015
I enjoyed working at AP as I learned a lot. I also enjoyed working with my colleagues and management. This is a good company to work for if you're not looking to advance within your career.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Salary below average, no room for advancement
My review of working with the AP
Freelance Stringer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 20, 2016
I worked off-site, didn't really have much contact with bosses. The people I did have contact with were nice. Invoices are hard to keep track off but that is about it.
Work Environment at the Associated Press
Regional Radio Executive (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 15, 2014
The typical day in the office is the constance need for Business development. This includes technical sales, sales management and team leadership. The skills I learned were consistance proven abilities to generate sales and revenue in a very competitive and robust environment.

The most challeging part of the job, is the capture the business in the Markets were the rank was low as it related to size.

The enjoyable part of the Job is meeting new people who are looking to expanding the News at the stations level, which will get the attention of the listeners in their Market.
Pros
the lauching of new products and being a part of the developement team.
Cons
not enough travel.
Free lance opportunity
Freelance Writer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAFebruary 6, 2014
I have enjoyed a good relationship with several sports editors at Associated Press over the years.
Since I only work as a free-lance writer, I rarely visit the office.
A typical day is arriving at an assignment early, doing the necessary research to perform the task successfully and send in a completed story rich in detail and color.
Of the co-workers I have met, all are great people to work with. Most of them are photographers, who are also hard working and detail-oriented.
The hardest part of the job is making sure the facts are straight while working on a deadline.
The most enjoyable aspect is the variety of events I attend.
Pros
working around my schedule
Cons
no benefits, no job security
Global product management, business development, content strategy and sales
Global Director Products (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 30, 2014
Every day at AP was a great learning experience. It is a 168 year old global news gathering and licensing agency with an on-going challenge to constantly improve its product set, meet changing customer demands, establish strategic partnerships, and keep AP apace with today's fast-moving digital markets. The mission to deliver breaking news to half the world's population every day in all formats was a great challenge, and ultimately one that elevates the capabilities and industry knowledge of its staff.

As a global matrix organization, working at AP required a collaborative and flexible approach to developing and managing initiatives. I was fortunate to be able to work with hundreds of very bright and talented people across all departments and disciplines worldwide. And through this experience I gained an invaluable understanding of global media markets, content consumption, media planning, content packaging and licensing, etc.

The senior management team was tough but fair and exacted accuracy and succinct communications from its staff. They often supported career growth, invested in staff training, and always afforded accessibility to top executives.
Temp payroll job
Payroll Auditor- Temp Position -SAP (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2015
I processed the payroll while the payroll managers converted the system to SAP. It was an enjoyable position. Customer service positions are always fun.
Pros
Temp assignment
Nice work environment
Lead Software QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJDecember 30, 2014
Nice, positive work culture
New technology
Flexible work hours
Cons
career advancement
A great non-profitable company
SAP BASIS/Oracle Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  New YorkMarch 5, 2013
Great company that has integrity in its core value -- reporting true and factual news around the world. AP news never sleeps.

I supported SAP BASIS and DBA works for HR and Financial departments. My position holds the keys to security set up for company-wide user accounts and maintain the server, databases in the back end as well.

Most enjoyable part of work at AP is the friendship among team mates. It's a great company that cares employees but sectional management is up to the supervisor's personal preference.

Hardest part of the job is getting training and advance to next level in technology in my department. AP devoted most resources in news reporting and distribution. With shrinking revenues and increasing operation cost and equipment upgrade, my department budget was cut to the minimum.
Pros
no trainings
Cons
nice workers
The Associated Press
Egypt, REGIONAL SECURITY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  CairoSeptember 12, 2015
An exciting and challenging work environment that always keeps you on your toes. The Global security department is tasked with keeping journalist the world over safe in a diverse and at times challenging climate.
Nice place to work but...
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2013
Management has no control and very disorganized. Management throws things at the team and they can t even take an escalation. There is a big tall fence between the floor and management.
Pros
great culture
Cons
disorganized.
Quality Journalism
Strategy Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2013
I only worked there for a few months as an intern, but what was immediately apparent was how much employees are invested in the mission of the organization. Employees - journalists, support staff, senior management - all really care for the organization. Though they share passion, their views on how the company should evolve differ greatly. This is the challenge of the organization - they must define who they are now, because who they cannot succeed unless they adapt and redefine themselves.
Work is good and people are nice.
Senior PM (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2013
I enjoyed working at the AP. A typical day at the AP goes by very quickly, interacting with various teams and external clients to attend to issues as well as projects on hand. I was involved with digital media projects and I found it very interesting. Most people appreciated the work I did and I was glad to have worked with a team of savvy and friendly people.
Pros
nice location and people are great to work with
Cons
job security is uncertain.
ok - terrible company culture interesting work
finance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2013
this is not a friendly place to work.

Very top heavy company.
Pros
very interesting work, at the forefront of the changing media landscape
Cons
work has little group interaction; benefits are average at best
Awesome Job
Website Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cheney, WAJune 23, 2012
I had a seasonal job working for the Associated Press Election Returns Project. My main responsibilities were to scour precinct websites to find posted election results and match that with the information in the Associated Press election database. I would also answer phones and take verbal election results from precinct supervisors. There was probably 50 or more people crammed into one tiny room and we were all taking calls and scouring websites for election results to post into the Associated Press Data Base.
Pros
free dinner, good pay, good coworkers
Cons
job didn't last long enough.
Dying company in a dying culture
Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 17, 2012
Loyalty meant nothing to the company. Lots of disparity with regards to pay and compensation of time. Unequal and unfair practices.
Many resources and exposure to worldwide news concerns
Photo Operations technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2015
The AP has everything available to it's members to cover the news around the world. TV, radio, photos, streaming video, audio, text, internet content, satellite delivery, plus a commercial arm to sell these products to the public.
Pros
worldwide recognition of the trademark, prestige.

4.2