The Associated Press Employee Reviews

Great People, Fun Environment
Central Region Broadcast Editor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2015
The office in Chicago works well as a cohesive unit. There is a lot of communication and everyone is open to ideas from others across the room.
Many resources and exposure to worldwide news concerns
Photo Operations technician (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: worldwide recognition of the trademark, prestige.
The AP has everything available to it's members to cover the news around the world. TV, radio, photos, streaming video, audio, text, internet content, satellite delivery, plus a commercial arm to sell these products to the public.
Nice work environment
Lead Software QA Analyst (Former Employee), Cranbury, NJDecember 30, 2014
Cons: career advancement
Nice, positive work culture
New technology
Flexible work hours
professional environment
VOTE TABULATOR (Current Employee), Cranbury, NJSeptember 22, 2014
professional environment & co-workers

interesting & productive work

low pay rate

perks- provide dinner during election tabulation
Unpredictable schedule, good people to work with
Artist/Producer (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 17, 2014
The work day is somewhat 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Breaking news can cause unexpected developments. There are many fun and intelligent people in the office.
Global product management, business development, content strategy and sales
Global Director Products (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 30, 2014
Every day at AP was a great learning experience. It is a 168 year old global news gathering and licensing agency with an on-going challenge to constantly improve its product set, meet changing customer demands, establish strategic partnerships, and keep AP apace with today's fast-moving digital markets. The mission to deliver breaking news to half the world's population every day in all formats was a great challenge, and ultimately one that elevates the capabilities and industry knowledge of its staff.

As a global matrix organization, working at AP required a collaborative and flexible approach to developing and managing initiatives. I was fortunate to be able to work with hundreds of very bright and talented people across all departments and disciplines worldwide. And through this experience I gained an invaluable understanding of global media markets, content consumption, media planning, content packaging and licensing, etc.

The senior management team was tough but fair and exacted accuracy and succinct communications from its staff. They often supported career growth, invested in staff training, and always afforded accessibility to top executives.
Work Environment at the Associated Press
Regional Radio Executive (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 15, 2014
Pros: the lauching of new products and being a part of the developement team.
Cons: not enough travel.
The typical day in the office is the constance need for Business development. This includes technical sales, sales management and team leadership. The skills I learned were consistance proven abilities to generate sales and revenue in a very competitive and robust environment.

The most challeging part of the job, is the capture the business in the Markets were the rank was low as it related to size.

The enjoyable part of the Job is meeting new people who are looking to expanding the News at the stations level, which will get the attention of the listeners in their Market.
Fun football game enviorment
Interviewer (Former Employee), Boise. IDFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: free buffet and interaction with players and coaches
Cons: no room for growth
No room for growth when starting at the bottom. Once the job is done with for the given season, they typically let the employee go.
Free lance opportunity
Freelance Writer (Current Employee), San Francisco Bay Area, CAFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: working around my schedule
Cons: no benefits, no job security
I have enjoyed a good relationship with several sports editors at Associated Press over the years.
Since I only work as a free-lance writer, I rarely visit the office.
A typical day is arriving at an assignment early, doing the necessary research to perform the task successfully and send in a completed story rich in detail and color.
Of the co-workers I have met, all are great people to work with. Most of them are photographers, who are also hard working and detail-oriented.
The hardest part of the job is making sure the facts are straight while working on a deadline.
The most enjoyable aspect is the variety of events I attend.
Quality Journalism
Strategy Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 27, 2013
I only worked there for a few months as an intern, but what was immediately apparent was how much employees are invested in the mission of the organization. Employees - journalists, support staff, senior management - all really care for the organization. Though they share passion, their views on how the company should evolve differ greatly. This is the challenge of the organization - they must define who they are now, because who they cannot succeed unless they adapt and redefine themselves.
summary
Video Systems Engineer (Current Employee), Washington, DCDecember 19, 2013
maintain production websites and video processing
troubleshooting editorial issues and system issues
Nice place to work but...
Product Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 11, 2013
Pros: great culture
Cons: disorganized.
Management has no control and very disorganized. Management throws things at the team and they can t even take an escalation. There is a big tall fence between the floor and management.
Huge Company
Stringer (Former Employee), ConnecticutDecember 1, 2013
Stringers are contacted when needed. There is not much contact with the central office, but based on what I have seen and heard from employees it is a demanding and rewarding place to be.
A part of history
Freelance Photographer (Former Employee), Lincoln, Neb.October 31, 2013
Pros: great opportunity
Cons: no schedule
The AP is a solid company that offers news in an immediate nature. It is a great company to work with, a chance to experience history first-hand.
Great company, fantastic history, and abitious goals
Sales Operations Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 17, 2013
This is the best workplace environment I have ever experienced. It is a unique and fantastic blend of creative artists and skilled business professionals.
Productive and fun working place
Software Engineer, Mobile (Current Employee), Cranbury, NJOctober 11, 2013
A very good media company. Good co-workers who helps lot. Fun working place with stress releasing ping-pong table.
allows me to cover the big events
In-game reporter, statistician and spotter (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 5, 2013
Pros: enhance reporting skills
Great atmosphere and communication and get paid on time. Whenever there is a big game, I contact them or they contact me and we have that good relationship.
Headlines and Photographs
Photo Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 26, 2013
This was a temporary position in which I received photographs as they were taken and uploaded at all the main news events. It was one of my first jobs were I really felt responsibility for something important.
overall it was good company
Operation Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 22, 2013
It was good company to work. It was hard for me to commute to south New Jersey. That was the reason I had to leave.
ok - terrible company culture interesting work
finance (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 18, 2013
Pros: very interesting work, at the forefront of the changing media landscape
Cons: work has little group interaction; benefits are average at best
this is not a friendly place to work.

Very top heavy company.