The Associated Press Employee Reviews

Easy to work for
Stringer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 28, 2017
They were always very nice to deal with when I covered games. They let me know exactly what they wanted from me which allowed me to meet their requirements.
Fun place to work, great staff
Photo Editor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 24, 2017
I worked as a photo editor at the now defunct State Photo Center and before that on the old New York Regional photo desk. At the State Photo Center we had a top notch group of photo editors lead by the best boss in the business period. I was privileged to work there and be a part of history both good and bad. The AP has excellent staff in all corners of the world. I would work there again if given the opportunity, but with the news dynamics changing I got out of the business I loved. Great staff, great place to work, great opportunities.
Pros
Great boss, great employees, fun place to work
Cons
You can't spell cheap without the AP!
Political/legislative reporter (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 18, 2017
I've worked for the AP covering the Legislatures twice. As a temporary relief, I was vaguely promised a permanent position in the future, but in the end there was never any money to hire anyone new. But the pay is better than what you can make at the dailies in Idaho and Montana, unless you are a baby boomer and are already making a decent salary.

Oh! And the woman I worked with came to work (the capitol) drunk on more than one occasion.
Decent place
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 7, 2017
This is a company with excellent workers who do fantastic work everyday.
The management left something to be desired.
Generally, management and the union covered employees were constantly at war. It made for too many tense times that took away from the joy of the work.
Mission-driven news leader
Business representative (Current Employee) –  United StatesMay 28, 2017
The AP is a culture of serious journalists and true believers in the role of a free press in society. Despite the difficult economic climate for journalism, AP continues to forge ahead.
Pros
Smart, genuinely good people.
Cons
The poor economic climate for journalism in general limits growth opportunities.
Quality product (news), competent staff (education, work ethic), but declining media industry (revenue) and lack of pathway to long-term success.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 26, 2017
An excellent place to work for most of its nearly 170-years, today's production, employment and workplace reality is shaped by decade-long decline of U.S. and worldwide revenue for news media in a B2B environment; increased competition, and lack of products in the development pipeline to replace ones for which sales and revenue are in decline, out of favor, or mismatched to market prefererences.
Pros
Opportunity to work for a reputable global brand, travel, potential for high job responsability and, for the right person, personal and professional satisfaction
Cons
Compensation, job security, fast pace which some might find stressful
good second job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 19, 2017
They were perfect for a second job. no benefits but nice if you work during the day because you work night shifts. Fast paced. You get to watch sports all night.
Great place to work if you're a journalist but I wasnt
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2017
Started as a temp then moved to a permenant position. Worked for the corporate finance dept. Great benefits, but difficult to advance, and the pay isn't all that great.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Pay isn't competitive
Fun workplace environment
Sports Writer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2017
The Associated Press gave me the opportunity I wanted to cover two of the teams that I grew up working for. My editor was there to help me out if I had any questions on my assignments
Pros
Gave me exposure
Cons
Not many assignments
Great customers and a very good Development Team
Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  USMarch 18, 2017
It's a great bunch of people to start with. Being the Giant of News Business, AP incorporates latest and cutting edge technology in scale. one gets to learn a huge amount here.
Pros
Technology
Cons
Don't have the culture of onsite.
News A+ Managers C-
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 8, 2017
Not much to say but I did learn a lot from working there, and look forward to taking my skills to a new company. The Pay isn't good and everytime someone leaves, you have to take on their responsibilities without more pay.
Great and reliable news source
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2017
The Associated Press is the world's leading news authority and a fine organization. Unfortunately, since the digital camera age and the internet, opportunities here are limited.
The Gold standard in Journalism
Regional Photo Editor-Southern USA (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 22, 2017
The Associated Press is an independent, not-for-profit news cooperative headquartered in New York City. Our teams in over 100 countries tell the world’s stories, from breaking news to investigative reporting. We provide content and services to help engage audiences worldwide, working with companies of all types, from broadcasters to brands.
or 170 years, we have been breaking news and covering the world’s biggest stories, always committed to the highest standards of objective, accurate journalism. We were founded as an independent news cooperative and remain owned by our U.S. newspaper and broadcast members, steadfast in our mission to inform the world. From delivering the news via pony express in 1846 to working in virtual reality today, we are always innovating.
Did not enjoy working for the Associated Press
Broadcast Newsperson (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 15, 2017
The only good thing about working for Associated Press was the pay, but nothing else was positive.

Horrible management, very unfair and abusive in many ways.

Bad hours to work....too many overnights and weekends. Almost never regular daytime 9 to 5 or 8:30 to 5 pm hours.

High negatives. I don't suggest working here.
Pros
The pay.
Cons
Too many negative to mention.
Have a pleasant day
Staff Photographer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 3, 2017
Self-motivated professional photographer with over 30 years of experience, based in Albany, NY, who specializes in photojournalism, portrait photography, architecture photography, wedding photography, annual report photography, commercial photography, digital photography and political photography.
Just Sayen
Sanity Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cranbury, NJJanuary 19, 2017
If you don't have anything good to say then it is best not to say it. Staff is great good team environment. Wear many hats and get your hands on many technologies.
Pros
Staff
Great Place
Production & Digital Media Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 12, 2016
Great place to worked and it was a pleasures to meet all the staff and enjoy speaking to the customers. I would already recommend this place for employment. Management was always helpful
Working in the Associated Press
Broadcast Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 22, 2016
Working in AP give you a lots of experience and chance to travel over
the world.
Nice staff and good management. the hard part of the Job you give support 24 hours its not bad but for what you get pay is not fair.
the most enjoyable part is you don't have to stay on your desk all the day. you support staff on all locations inside the bureau and outside

thanks
My review of working with the AP
Freelance Stringer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 20, 2016
I worked off-site, didn't really have much contact with bosses. The people I did have contact with were nice. Invoices are hard to keep track off but that is about it.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2016
Great benefits. Excellent working environment. Very Stressful job. Changing priorities. There's nothing more that I care to say about this job.