The Biltmore Company Employee Reviews

Awesome place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 20, 2017
I loved my job and my coworkers and management. I just wanted evenings and weekends and holidays off. It was a supportive environment, but one would really need to love people and have patience for this position.
Stable Company
Sales (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 4, 2017
The company is stable and values work/life balance. They also believe in training, leadership development and continuing education.
The approach to growth is often very slow and careful with minimal risk. If you want growth opportunity and high pay, it's slow growth and lower pay.
Pros
Numerous perks working for Biltmore
Cons
Rank and file culture
Excellent internship program
CULINARY INTERN (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 29, 2017
I worked in the kitchens. Everyone was always super friendly. I never felt like I didn't know what to do. I improved my communication and observation skills. The work place culture was very close. Everyone and their families work at Biltmore. Everyone would go out as a group after work. The hours during holiday season are insanity but thats good money. They provided great living situations really close to locations and gave out tickets for working there. Good pay for an internship. I got 10 an hour and full time schedule. Its wonderful kitchen experience because its such a big company they have money to play around with cool food.
Pros
work living
Outdoor Adventure Center
Outdoor Adventure Center Guide (Former Employee) –  OACAugust 28, 2017
Long story short do not work here unless you plan on having 2 jobs because they don't pay enough to make ends meet in Asheville. There is no loyalty and at least in my department it was based more on how much they liked you and how you fit in / joked around with the crew vs quality of your work. I was just blindsided and let go completely unexpectedly based on a loophole with the probationary period. I was told that my work was fantastic but I wouldn't be a good fit going forward.

Not only did they utilize terribly poor ethics but now I'm left to try and find work asap as there was no warning given to me just straight let go. They used me to train up my replacement who they hired 1.5 months prior and literally 4 days after he was checked off to work with guests I was let go. Hmmmmm...........

If you want to work somewhere for very little pay, little to no appreciation, and no job security or advancement opportunities then by all means work here. I certainly will not be coming back and I will never recommend the Biltmore to anyone going forward. If you truly have skills and can offer a professional service you're much better off working elsewhere.

Bottom line is Biltmore is a very greed based operation despite putting on this we care and love our employees attitude. Don't be fooled by it.
Pros
Not overly stressful
Cons
Too many too even list, Terrible pay, Main one being very poor communication within departments and managers, play favorites, bad ethics and belive me you are VERY expendable
Productive and fast paced work enviorment
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 24, 2017
Biltmore was a fast paced industrial cleaning position
That provided me with the opportunity to learn from the professional house keeping staff. In addition my job duties allowed me ro inteact with the general public.
Pros
Learning hotel Room and suites Set uos
Cons
Master the deverse people who visitwd Biltmore
Typical call center atmosphere
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 24, 2017
It is very self explanatory. You would take inbound calls and help out customers. It stayed pretty busy. The only downfall was the lack of growth you could get.
Pros
They would give lunches. They had a de-stress week.
Cons
Not much room for growth with the company. Not enough hours given.
a great company
Assistant Hotel Controller (Former Employee) –  Biltmore Village, NCMay 8, 2017
The Biltmore Company, world-class hospitality enterprise, translates that spirit of friendliness at all ranks of employees. It is a pleasant place to work.
Unethical, Dishonest, Low Pay
manager (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 27, 2017
Don't waste your time unless you want to be overworked, unappreciated and underpaid. The management and human resources are very corrupt. They have no integrity, are cliquish and just use you up and spit you out. The family is a joke.
Unethical, Dishonest, Low Pay
Manager (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 20, 2017
Don't waste your time unless you want to be overworked, underpaid and unappreciated. They are living in the past and rely completely on the allure of Biltmore instead of actual present day business practices. They are very unethical, dishonest and refuse to pay a livable wage. It's a shame.
Official response from The Biltmore Company
November 22, 2017

We appreciate feedback from our former employees and will share this with our leadership team. While we hope that all of our team has a positive experience working at Biltmore, we understand that may not always be the case. We greatly value these comments, however, as they help us improve our workplace environment for the future.

Great Place to Start
Caddy (Former Employee) –  North Barrington, ILApril 6, 2017
Great way to make money as a first job, as well as a way to network with successful individuals. Work your butt off and find someone who plays golf a lot and likes you. That's the way to make money.

Want to know more about The Biltmore Company?

Ask a question
Great Company
Farm Assistant (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 22, 2017
One really has any number of options to plug into at Biltmore. I have vacillated on getting fully invested in the company and so my review reflects more on myself. Doing good work with great people is what I have encountered and communication of superlative ideas is a must and encouraged. Thereafter I also see that a large company cannot respond as quickly to great solutions as much as it might with its own massive infrastructure requirements. Grassroots ideas are slower on the uptake although the creativity of management and the staff is flush with great energy to want to see change.
Pros
Benefits if full time
Cons
payscale should be 1 or 2 dollars more an hour
Flex jobs, no raises, no advancement
Gardener II (Former Employee) –  AshevilleJanuary 10, 2017
They will work you up until the hour of being full time then lay you off so they don't have to give you any benefits. They don't give raises and you have no room for advancement. The definition of a dead end job. They pay no where near the median income for this area and say they make up for it in "hidden benefits." Well those benefits are very well hidden indeed. Beware.
Cons
Flex status. No raise. No benefits.
This was only an internship
Intern Baker (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 12, 2016
I worked at two different restaurants on Biltmore grounds.

One was a 5 diamond star hotel

The other was their very fancy "Bistro"

The hotel portion was difficult, I was right out of school so I struggled being thrown into it without being properly trained or taught what the desserts were. (they were seasonal so they changed a bit)

The other restaurant was more what I enjoyed, I made ice creams, cookies, crumbles, granola's, and other small things for plated desserts. I also got to assemble plated desserts- which was probably my favorite part of the whole experience. As well as some of the friends I've made.
The hardest part of the job was simply getting thrown in without much knowledge or confidence or even guidance from the people who were supposed to be teaching me on my internship. So I got frustrated a bit.
The best part was working at The Bistro making desserts for the customers, meeting new people, and having unlimited access to the Biltmore grounds for free!

The hotel was beautiful and many of my mentors were kind, I hope to go back there someday... The fall or beginning of winter is my personal favorite time to see it..
Pros
free meals, free access to the grounds of Biltmore, kind people, beautiful town
Cons
Was only an internship not a job, some managers were kinder than others, there's honestly not many con's if I'm honest..
terrible
Server (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 3, 2016
The management lies to you, unappreciative of you, pr\\does not give you the schedule you put on your application, take your breaks outside in the heat & snow, walk over a mile from employee parking lot to work while visitors ride shuttles. Lay you off, all coworkers agreed with me how horrible it is working there. But its a very beautiful, calm, relaxed, getaway, friendly environment for guests.
Pros
Free food.
Cons
Managment, layoff.
Safe job
Cook (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLMay 3, 2016
A good job to get hired and work for a check. Not challenging or new. Old menu and co workers with very old mentalities. Management cared only about bottom line, not quality of food product. The learning curve was very limited.
Great Benefits
Attendanct II (Current Employee) –  F&B OutletsApril 26, 2016
Amazing place to work. Health Benefits are amazing. Great vacation and SEL as well as health care on the estate. Love it there
phony standards
Guest Services- Valet (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 9, 2016
Gracious hospitality is a core that they advocate. That is a front. There is a number of racist, like openly racist employees and managers. Mangers are motivated to manage via petty standards and they will let anything go so long as it doesn't affect their ratings. Typical corporate lack of true integrity despite efforts. And they grow round up ready gmo corn.
People really enjoy working there.
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 6, 2016
Biltmore is an amazing Estate and all the people that work there are very helpful and kind. It is a kind of environment you would want to work for the rest of your life.
Amazing company!
Dining Host/Ticketing Agent (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 4, 2016
Best company to work for with extensive training, incredible management and support. The work place is beautiful and the co workers are all happy to be there. Customer service is #1 and the company realizes that if the staff is not happy then they cannot give the best customer service. Everyone is proud to work there.
Fun place to work
Standing Host and Tour Guide at Biltmore House (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 30, 2016
The Biltmore Estate is a rewarding and fun place to work. Staff and Management are topnotch and caring. I especially liked the face-to-face exposure to guests of the House.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Biltmore Company. Our community is ready to answer.