THE BOON GROUP Employee Reviews

High work load, little training
Reconciliation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 7, 2017
The Boon group hires people at the lowest possible price. This leads to high turnover. With the high volume of work and the understaffed departments very little training is given for new employees to succeed.
Cons
High work load, little training, Low pay, high stress
They are going under
Sr Manager of Product Department (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 29, 2017
The Boon Group was once a great place. Unfortunate mismanagement and lack of upper management understanding of business scale in today's business economy drove Boon into the ground. Very Sad!!!
Good Benefits, But a Work In Progress
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 19, 2017
Most of the benefits are good (starting 4 weeks of PTO for salaried employees, 12 weeks maternity leave, telemedicine plan, wellness plan), with the exception of MRBP instead of a PPO health insurance, but they now offer a PPO option.
Company has gone through a lot of turmoil in the last couple of years, but getting better slowly (hopefully). Working on technology updates. Got rid of a toxic President/CEO.
Benefits
Cons
Still a work in progress
I choose not to comment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 3, 2017
Lots of good people trying to get things accomplished under a leadership team that by their own description does not understand the technology required to do so.
Self centered leadership
Member (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 28, 2017
Not a place to work if your looking to advance your carrier. Very old school way of looking at business. No training and no mentoring of any kind.........
Frustrating Management
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2017
A typical day at work included attempting to cover for the various employees that were either fired or had relieved themselves of their position. Employee turnovers was so out of control that the company was having trouble even keeping enough temps on the floor to keep the company moving forward. Rampant disorganization and disengaged management were just two of the many problems.
Fun and friendly work enviorment
Tech Lead (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 27, 2017
Good place to work, needs work in improving training all over the company. But everyone works hard to get the job done. Lack of training is the only bad thing I can say. Everything else is wonderful.
Great People
BSR (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 1, 2017
The Boon Group is full of great people working together to make the work day easier. Everyone is always searching for a way to make the work day manageable in a stressful environment, while maintaining a positive work ethic.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Very stressful
Accounting/Billing/Audit Departments
Accounting/Audit/Billing (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 21, 2016
The Good - You will meet great people that have stuck it out through all the changes in every department. They are the backbone of the company. Cherish them.

The Bad - Management/Leadership is constantly changing from year to year. Lack of documented procedures in the departments. High turnover. Blame game. Less than average pay. Clown Show.

The Ugly - They smile in your face. All the time they wanna take yo place. The backstabbers. Backstabbers.
Pros
Free Gym/Covered Parking/Free Coffee
Cons
Employee Insurance is hard to use/Constant Restructuring of Departments
Run away quickly
staff accountant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 16, 2015
Seriously.. Run away.. You will be set up for failure from Day 1 when you are dumped into your job with no training and expected to perform immediately. Teamwork is discouraged and unappreciated.The management is either non-existent or quick to point out your errors, but never will you hear a ' Good Job". It is the WORST job I have had in my entire life. Management procrastinates when giving out deadlines and then punishes when they are not met and are surprised when weekend OT is not worked to meet them, although you rarely see management in there on a weekend. I will be out of there as soon as I can possibly find a different job, even if I have to take a cut in pay. The upper management treats the rest of the employees like they do not even exist unless they need something.Time off is plentiful but trying to use it is extremely difficult, either because of deadlines or there being no backup due to the constant and continuous turnover. PTO is also not allowed to be carried over nor is it paid out when an employee terminates, even though it has already been earned. Health insurance is self-insured, which means that most of the time you have to ask for an employee advocate to negotiate with the doctor that you need, which can take several weeks. RUN AWAY!
Pros
free gym if you can find time to use it
Cons
just about everything
Great Place to work
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 10, 2015
Love the people that works here. Opportunities to move up. Managers work with you to move up. Don't hold you back in a position.
Poor management but great co-workers
Licensed agent (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 15, 2015
I worked in the in-bound call center for enrollment services of benefits. While there established myself as a very quick learner and very productive team member. Was given additional task when asked for more work. But, the department merged with another bigger department and no managers were added, most likely due to minimizing cost increases. It was such a rough transition that it made department managers become very shaky and hard to communicate with. I would suggest ideas and then they were given to others who had been there longer. Or I was not even able to be part of the team that was working the idea I had provided. I was told that I was valued employee but when I was struggling in my personal life and seeking therapist I was dismissed. I was also trying to further my career by going back to school, told "we support our employees going back to school," and then not given any room for advancement. I was denied the ability to transfer to another department that potentially would have been able to work with my schedule. I was saw this as "we care, but not really!" I was threatened to be fired if I did not show up to work on a day I had originally requested off and was denied, which I understood. But, when I asked that day to go home early to go see a therapist to help with my depression/anxiety, and then had an emergency at the place I was living (landlord went crazy) I asked to leave early...they fired because of that. Then, after I left, they continued to fire people who had been working there for years and were well established good workers, you know showing up on-time  more... good workers, etc. The manager who fired me stepped down due "personal reasons" and that person's manager, who made the decision and asked my manager right in front of me to "let me go" was also fired! It is not a good place to work for in my book.  less
Pros
Monday thru Friday
Cons
Pto, Management, unfair treatment of "lower level employees"
The Boon Group is a good company to work for.
File Import Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 22, 2014
I worked for The Boon Group for about 6 years. I started as a customer service representative verifying benefits for patients and providers and I learned a lot about the different types of benefits and how they work. I was able to move up to the benefits counselor position and received a pretty nice pay raise after getting my Life and Health license. I enjoyed working for this company because they really care about their employees and they try to keep them happy. There's plenty of room for advancement and growth. I only left the company because my family and I were relocating to a new state. I highly recommend working for this company.
Pros
Free Starbucks coffee and team building events.
Cons
Short breaks, not really close to a lot of lunch spots.
No professional growth
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 26, 2014
The company is reorganizing all departments and this is causing poor moral among employees.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
No job advancement
Great company & growing fast
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  AustinJuly 10, 2014
I recently left a big tech company and joined The Boon Group. The company itself is much smaller but is growing rapidly (which I like). I love the culture and feel of the company, and the direction it's headed. There's plenty of room for growth and advancement within.

Management has been very supportive and is very knowledgeable. They embraced me from the beginning and instantly made me feel like I as part of the team.

My co-workers have been absolutely wonderful. In fact they're one of the reasons why I'm so eager to get to work and give 110% daily.

I would 100% without a doubt refer friends and family to come work at The Boon Group!
Pros
Awesome work environment and supportive managers
Awful place
Cobra Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 9, 2014
Management is inexperienced and manipulative. If you aren't liked or part of the click, you WILL be setup and fired
I'd think twice
Billing (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 5, 2014
There are some very good managers and supervisors that really care and then there are some that are just poor excuses for humans. They will smile at you and then stab you in the back as soon as you turn around. watch out!

Depending on what job and what dept you are considering would depend on if you should even think about working there. Customer service is a good place to work and the manager and supervisors are great. Think twice about working in any other area.

Overall the upper management team are greedy, power-hungry and selfish people. They usually pass you in the hall and don't say a thing as if youre not there! Someone said employees are your best assets and so you'd think you'd treat them good, but upper management treats their employees like cattle. Plus, they don't pay you very well. They want you to work hard but they don't want to pay for overtime and there is no way to get everything done. a lot of stress there!
Pros
Great office building, some really nice people
Cons
Upper management has their priorities all wrong and are not very nice people.
Very political work environment
N/A (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 27, 2014
This company wants $80k per year quality but only expects to pay $30-$40k per year for it's employees. I think the previous review summed it all up.

Personally, I think every director should be a born leader and set an example for their employees. Some however, have been rewarded for unethical misconduct that would have resulted in termination for anyone not part of the "in crowd".

Lots of changes regularly with no explanation or guidance on how to work through it. You are basically just expected to know how to do everything and if not, well they have someone to blame when it goes wrong.

They preach the employees are like a "family" but will be quick to point the finger, even when there's no justification to cover their...

I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Nice building and location
Cons
Extensive workload (overworked and underpaid), political, not enough communication between departments and management (upper level execs).
Call Center Life
Customer Service Rep III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 23, 2014
The Boon Group call center was a group of friendly, upbeat, helpful employees. It was typically very fast-paced, with each of us taking upwards of 100 + calls per day.

Management was very friendly, personable and eager to help/please their employees.
Pros
Very friendly environment
I would not recommend this employer to anyone
Claims department employee (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 30, 2013
This was one of the most negative work experiences of my career. The lack of ethics and disregard for employees was astounding.
Pros
pretty location
Cons
Management, Lack of Incentives, Negative Work Environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at THE BOON GROUP. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6