THE BOON GROUP Employee Reviews

Run away quickly
staff accountant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 16, 2015
Seriously.. Run away.. You will be set up for failure from Day 1 when you are dumped into your job with no training and expected to perform immediately. Teamwork is discouraged and unappreciated.The management is either non-existent or quick to point out your errors, but never will you hear a ' Good Job". It is the WORST job I have had in my entire life. Management procrastinates when giving out deadlines and then punishes when they are not met and are surprised when weekend OT is not worked to meet them, although you rarely see management in there on a weekend. I will be out of there as soon as I can possibly find a different job, even if I have to take a cut in pay. The upper management treats the rest of the employees like they do not even exist unless they need something.Time off is plentiful but trying to use it is extremely difficult, either because of deadlines or there being no backup due to the constant and continuous turnover. PTO is also not allowed to be carried over nor is it paid out when an employee terminates, even though it has already been earned. Health insurance is self-insured, which means that most of the time you have to ask for an employee advocate to negotiate with the doctor that you need, which can take several weeks. RUN AWAY!
Pros
free gym if you can find time to use it
Cons
just about everything
Great Place to work
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 10, 2015
Love the people that works here. Opportunities to move up. Managers work with you to move up. Don't hold you back in a position.
Poor management but great co-workers
Licensed agent (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 15, 2015
I worked in the in-bound call center for enrollment services of benefits. While there established myself as a very quick learner and very productive team member. Was given additional task when asked for more work. But, the department merged with another bigger department and no managers were added, most likely due to minimizing cost increases. It was such a rough transition that it made department managers become very shaky and hard to communicate with. I would suggest ideas and then they were given to others who had been there longer. Or I was not even able to be part of the team that was working the idea I had provided. I was told that I was valued employee but when I was struggling in my personal life and seeking therapist I was dismissed. I was also trying to further my career by going back to school, told "we support our employees going back to school," and then not given any room for advancement. I was denied the ability to transfer to another department that potentially would have been able to work with my schedule. I was saw this as "we care, but not really!" I was threatened to be fired if I did not show up to work on a day I had originally requested off and was denied, which I understood. But, when I asked that day to go home early to go see a therapist to help with my depression/anxiety, and then had an emergency at the place I was living (landlord went crazy) I asked to leave early...they fired because of that. Then, after I left, they continued to fire people who had been working there for years and were well established good workers, you know showing up on-time  more... good workers, etc. The manager who fired me stepped down due "personal reasons" and that person's manager, who made the decision and asked my manager right in front of me to "let me go" was also fired! It is not a good place to work for in my book.  less
Pros
Monday thru Friday
Cons
PTO, Management, unfair treatment of "lower level employees"
The Boon Group is a good company to work for.
File Import Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 22, 2014
I worked for The Boon Group for about 6 years. I started as a customer service representative verifying benefits for patients and providers and I learned a lot about the different types of benefits and how they work. I was able to move up to the benefits counselor position and received a pretty nice pay raise after getting my Life and Health license. I enjoyed working for this company because they really care about their employees and they try to keep them happy. There's plenty of room for advancement and growth. I only left the company because my family and I were relocating to a new state. I highly recommend working for this company.
Pros
Free Starbucks coffee and team building events.
Cons
Short breaks, not really close to a lot of lunch spots.
No professional growth
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 26, 2014
The company is reorganizing all departments and this is causing poor moral among employees.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
No job advancement
Great company & growing fast
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  AustinJuly 10, 2014
I recently left a big tech company and joined The Boon Group. The company itself is much smaller but is growing rapidly (which I like). I love the culture and feel of the company, and the direction it's headed. There's plenty of room for growth and advancement within.

Management has been very supportive and is very knowledgeable. They embraced me from the beginning and instantly made me feel like I as part of the team.

My co-workers have been absolutely wonderful. In fact they're one of the reasons why I'm so eager to get to work and give 110% daily.

I would 100% without a doubt refer friends and family to come work at The Boon Group!
Pros
Awesome work environment and supportive managers
Awful place
Cobra Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 9, 2014
Management is inexperienced and manipulative. If you aren't liked or part of the click, you WILL be setup and fired
Pros
Cons
ALL
I'd think twice
Billing (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 5, 2014
There are some very good managers and supervisors that really care and then there are some that are just poor excuses for humans. They will smile at you and then stab you in the back as soon as you turn around. watch out!

Depending on what job and what dept you are considering would depend on if you should even think about working there. Customer service is a good place to work and the manager and supervisors are great. Think twice about working in any other area.

Overall the upper management team are greedy, power-hungry and selfish people. They usually pass you in the hall and don't say a thing as if youre not there! Someone said employees are your best assets and so you'd think you'd treat them good, but upper management treats their employees like cattle. Plus, they don't pay you very well. They want you to work hard but they don't want to pay for overtime and there is no way to get everything done. a lot of stress there!
Pros
Great office building, some really nice people
Cons
Upper management has their priorities all wrong and are not very nice people.
Very political work environment
N/A (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 27, 2014
This company wants $80k per year quality but only expects to pay $30-$40k per year for it's employees. I think the previous review summed it all up.

Personally, I think every director should be a born leader and set an example for their employees. Some however, have been rewarded for unethical misconduct that would have resulted in termination for anyone not part of the "in crowd".

Lots of changes regularly with no explanation or guidance on how to work through it. You are basically just expected to know how to do everything and if not, well they have someone to blame when it goes wrong.

They preach the employees are like a "family" but will be quick to point the finger, even when there's no justification to cover their...

I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Nice building and location
Cons
Extensive workload (overworked and underpaid), political, not enough communication between departments and management (upper level execs).
Call Center Life
Customer Service Rep III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 23, 2014
The Boon Group call center was a group of friendly, upbeat, helpful employees. It was typically very fast-paced, with each of us taking upwards of 100 + calls per day.

Management was very friendly, personable and eager to help/please their employees.
Pros
Very friendly environment
Don't do it!!!
N/A (Former Employee) –  n/aNovember 12, 2013
By far, the most pro management group ever seen. The employees do not matter at this company. Horrible place to work..
Pros
No Pro's
Cons
I would not recommend this employer to anyone
Claims department employee (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 30, 2013
This was one of the most negative work experiences of my career. The lack of ethics and disregard for employees was astounding.
Pros
pretty location
Cons
Management, Lack of Incentives, Negative Work Environment
Lack of Communication
Implementation Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasJune 15, 2013
I worked at The Boon Group for many years and the lack of communication from upper management remained consistently poor. Major decisions are made without communication to internal departments which created chaos on a regular basis. Lots of finger pointing between departments and from Upper Management to lower departments. No realistic understanding from Upper Management about internal process flow or capabilities. Very obvious there are certain departments and individuals who hold a favored status and will never be held accountable for their mistakes.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly co-workers
Cons
Poor Communication between upper management and internal departments.
Advance your career, Wonderful place with Great people!
Licensed Enrollment Benefit Counselor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TexasApril 17, 2013
Health Insurance is at an all time high need. There is much work to do, but you have the "Warm needed" sense of feeling when you achieve helping a client enroll into their health coverage. I had the ability to advance my career by obtaining my health, life and HMO licensing through Boon Group. The management staffs are always helpful when it comes to helping you set goals that helps you succeed!
Pros
1 hour lunches, 2 cafes nearby, great benefits
Cons
traffic is hectic in this area.
One of the sorriest companies to work for
Benefit Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 24, 2013
Management sucks. HR sucks. Most employees are very stuck up and cliquish. A very unethnical work environment.
Cons
sorry employee benefits
No longer meets my needs or expectations
Senior Cobra Administrator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 27, 2012
So many changes have come about at Boon with management, Supervisors. The HR Dept no longer has much input on job advancements or promotions within the company. It is no longer a positive enviroment.
Cons
promotions are not made on merit, knowledge or experience
Claims Technician-Plan Builder (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 8, 2012
Great place to work. Relaxed atmosphere. Able to share and implement ideas.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at THE BOON GROUP. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7