The Breakers Employee Reviews

Fun, Fast-Paced Environment
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLSeptember 9, 2015
HMF was a very exciting place to work. Management was professional and had enough levels to be kept in check. Paychecks were outstanding, though benefits were easily lost if you were a few hours under for the quarter. Mostly a great group of people to work with, The Breakers promotes a wonderful culture of respect.
Pros
great compensation, company reputation
Cons
work life balance, late night hours
Avoid at all costs.
former employee (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach FloridaNovember 10, 2013
This is by far the most dishonest and devious place to work for in Florida. The super rich and powerful will play you like a flute and the management will treat you like a child and slap a barcode on your forehead bc you are just a number to them that is easily replaced by the next fool who takes your place. They will fire you for no reason, I actually think they make a game out of it. I have seen people fired for not smileing enough. Absolutely NO ROOM FOR ADVANCEDMENT AS PROMISED. Management is a joke, they care 0% about employees and DO NOT value your opinions, in fact if you try to speak your opinion you will be targeted to be fired. If you like a place that does not pay enough, no room for advancement or raises, have to worrie about being fired every day, and does not care about you or your opinions then this is the place for you.
Pros
scenery
Cons
every thing else
Does not take care of you like they lead you to believe.
F and B (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLJuly 23, 2013
When I first started, the Breakers led you to believe they look out for their employees first and foremost. As time went on, I found this to be far from true. Compensation, values, advancement with in the company, management and overall life at work is not as good as it is cracked up to be. There is far too much favoritism and the whole system is corrupt and is completely based on a buddy system. As far as trusting any of them, be extra careful. I did meet a lot of good co-workers whom I still talk to, but the overall experience was very disappointing for such a great location. God Bless.
Pros
ocean, good looking people
Cons
management, value, pay, trustworthiness
Fun work place. Always creating something new.
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLFebruary 15, 2016
Everyone works as a team. We have a common goal, to set up beautiful events. It was just a seasonal position and my needs changed.
Pros
fun crew
It's a job
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLNovember 27, 2014
Not a good place to work if you're trying to make more than 11.00. It's all about the residents and when you ask for a day off sometimes it can be hectic. There's a different culture at Breakers Row 1 compared to the hotel.
benefits
Cons
no raise
A disaster of a company
employee (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach FlSeptember 4, 2013
If you want to work in a place where the management belittles you… This is the place for you.
If you want to work in a place where there are long hours, minimal pay, and poor scheduling… This is the place for you
If you want to work in a place where political games are played and mastered. This is the place for you
If you want to be in a place where you're treated like a high school delinquent and your opinions are asked but never matter. this is the place for you
There are plenty of other places to work and feel good about yourself… Stay away from this place, you'll just be beat down over time and hate life

** You don't need to work here to just to see the beautiful sunries..lifes too short to wast it here.
An opportunity to acquire knowledge and develop skills.
Cook II (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJuly 26, 2015
Learned the use of non conventional kitchen equipment. Had to manage myself under high strict and high quality standards of work, and to manage my time better. Developed my team work abilities. Perfected my second language (english) speaking and writing skills. Had the opportunity to appreciate how a structured and organized company works. Managers with real knowledge and eager to teach you in a very proper manner.
Pros
Housing, Transportation, Discounts.
Cons
No Heathcare, Breaks, Free meals.
Challenging and fun work environment
Conference Services/Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLMarch 12, 2015
I managed and implemented all association, corporate and incentive programs at this world-class resort.
This required great internal and external communication and organization of all social groups and wedding parties
I was responsible for the complete planning, organizing and servicing of events ranging from 10 to 650 people to include catering needs, meeting arrangements, recreational activities and social events.
This required that I be able to work extensively with numerous departments in the hotel, overseeing completion of directives assigned to each.
This job was very stressful at times but also extremely rewarding.
Pros
extremely rewarding. the days flew by.
Cons
a lot of stress involved
Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  FLOctober 13, 2013
The Breakers is by far the best place I've ever worked. Although I do not intend on making this my career I do enjoy what I do. The company as a whole really does show that they care about the employees. I enjoy coming into work every single day.

The only thing I would have to say they need to work on is the pay rate. I believe that because of the high priority guests that we provide security for and the responsibilities that we have, we should be should be paid at a higher rate.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
pay is too low.
Good experience for college students
Bellman (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach, FloridaFebruary 12, 2013
The Breakers was a hotel that I spent two of my college years working for and is two years that I greatly value in regards to my work experience and personal life. Being put in a position where you are trusted to create a memorable experience for the high caliber guest that The Breakers is known for is something that made the time there more valuable than any internship for me. I learned how to interact in a professional manner and effectively handle guest resolution independently. Obviously, the money was also a plus. The job is primarily tip based, and the guest are for the most part generous. If you have the desire to earn a significant amount of money while still in school, or on a full time basis for those who stay after, there is ample opportunity.
Pros
pay, co-employees, guest interaction
Cons
weekend hours
High Volume, Multi-task Oriented
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  New Smyrna Beach, FLAugust 30, 2012
I've learned how to really multi-task and create priorities in the workplace. I've also learned EXTREME customer service and how to make decisions in high pressure situations.

The Management and staff are all very friendly, but demand a very high quality of effort, work ethic, and results.

The hardest part of the job is keeping your stress levels down.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people from all over the world and the location.
Avoid at all costs
Cook III (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach, FloridaJuly 12, 2013
My experience with the company was not an enjoyable experience. Management only cares about bottom line, overloads the staff with a heavy work load, extreme favoritism, shows little to no concern for employee suggestions to increase the moral, lighten work load, and or general regard for a fellow human being. Ocean grill being the most egregious. The only benefit is the scenery.
Pros
the ocean
Cons
management, work load
Always feel cared and respected by the upper management.
RESTAURANT MANAGER - THE SEAFOOD BAR (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLSeptember 7, 2013
This is the only company that I worked for so far where an individual can feel that he / she is truly cared and respected. Respect and care begins from the owners level to the president of the company. For The Breakers, employees come first. They figured out how to run a successful luxury resort for 117 years in a row.
Pros
amazing work place with set standards and goals.
Cons
hard to grow in the company, everyone has been here for years
Great Company with High Values
Chef de Cuisine (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLOctober 24, 2013
The Breakers is a great company with friendly staff and the very high values on guest and employee satisfaction. I was truly a pleasure working for The Breakers.
Pros
high values on guest and employee satisfaction
Cons
minimal advancement opportunities
Stay Away ..Poor Comminication,Misleading, Micromanagers, Tech / Depts Under Staffed Overworked Daily, Under Paid. Lack sense of the Big Picture.
Audio Visual/Technican (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach FloridaMay 6, 2014
Not even the Job Description matches the truth of what your going to be responsible for supporting on a daily basis. What is on the web showing the job description only looks good..the magnitud of work is the overwelming surprise later.. With poor direction no career path .. Your just a number.. I guess that is why there is such a huge turnover of staff. This job is perfect for an intern with no real corp experience. He or She can use this huge amount of work load "one person doing the work of three ( Do more with less ) " to move out and grow somwhere else

Word of advise ... before you accept an offer and resign your current job. request a meeting with the current staff one on one including the managers 1 on 1 ...then together.. with everyone. If they say no "Busy in Meetings" Run.. if they say yes be prepared for the unkowned factors .. Not related to the interview and not in the right agenda, You notice quickly who is the pets fast. Stay on check don't get caught up and loose your focus. You there to disclosed they hidden secrets behind smiles.

Based on the answers you get from the questions below, you will be able to make the right decision for you and your family. Get everything you discuss in writting, signed and dated.

Flip the Script, interview the entire ask the Department staff one on one in the work area where you would be working. try to stay in the work area from 9am to 1pm you can see what training/support you can expect from the staff/management.... keeping in mind, that you might be working with them daily.First impressions are everlasting !! Go by your gut
  more... fealings they will always lead you in the right direction. I would have left years ago but i was stuck in a Department and in South Florida not many jobs.. I would recommend, if you looking for a career go somewhere else.  less
Pros
scenary
Cons
everything else
It's a job!!
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 29, 2013
Pay is not well but it's a job. Management doesn't take any advice from employees.
productive workplace
HR Receptionist (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLApril 29, 2012
Review, and log the applications received from the night before from the different sites where open positions were posted. Responding to applicants inquiries and directing them to the proper recruiter.
Pros
discounted lunches
The Breakers
Accounts Receivable Associate (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLNovember 3, 2014
A beautiful place to work at. The pay is awful for the type of clients you deal with.
Great co workers
Cocktail Server (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLApril 17, 2013
I loved working there while it lasted, but there wasn't much room for growth within the company.
Great Place
Server (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2012
Very fast paced environment, wonderful people. Managemnet works with you to better yourself.

2.9