The Brickman Group, Ltd. Employee Reviews

Challenging place to work
SPORTS TURF AND IRRIGATION MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDNovember 20, 2017
The normal work is good and what is expected. Upper management is tough to work with because the expectations are very high and somewhat unrealistic with the amount of hours given to do the work in.
stressful
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 14, 2017
working at brickman was a good job to learn new things but the management and the supervisors where really mean we didnt get vacation days off and also the way they treat workers was not the proper way.
Pros
Alot of over time
Cons
expect to finish a 2 hour job in 30 minutes
lots of hours
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDNovember 12, 2017
it was an experience but you are there to open the gate and close it (the first there and last to leave) it was a poor life to work balance it left a lot to be desired when it came to my manager
National Company
Account Manager & Maintenance Division Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 8, 2017
There is a lot of focus on numbers and not always quality.

The entire sales staff and management turned over when I left.

Some great people in operations.
Winter months
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 7, 2017
In the winter unless there was now removal - there were very few hours. It is difficult to manage finances with so few hours for 3 months. Although I enjoyed the work I needed steady hours weekly. Lots in the summer and so few in the winter.
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Regular hours
Good place to learn and get experience
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, NYOctober 27, 2017
I definitely learned a lot there but I don't suggest working there. If you start at the very bottom you can move up quickly, but then you kind of just stay in limbo.
Employees and Customers are numbers
Operations Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 23, 2017
Never thought landscaping could be so high stress! HUGE commercial landscaping company that started as a personal, local company that cared about it's employees and customers that morphed into a massive corporate conglomerate, that no longer cares about the personal or financial well-being of it employees or customers. So many layers of management that view the employees in the field as a commodity. Customers are rarely more than a means to inflate the bottom line and advance bonuses for sales team. Sales team is cutthroat competition to reach unattainable goals at all costs. Extremely hard work, with poor/cheap/old resources and tools, with little to no support from management. Minimal training provided - be prepared to learn everything on your own.
Pros
Work outside of an office
Cons
long hours, high stress, poor resources, poor training, poor tools, high turnover
Fun and friendly co-workers, relaxed environment
Branch Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCSeptember 26, 2017
Brickman was a very busy office. I was the branch administrator at Fort Bragg and our company provided landscaping services for the on and off-base housing.
I enjoyed interviewing and hiring new employees and getting to know each and every one of them. They counted on me for a lot and were very supportive and respectful of my position.
The hardest part of the job was working with outdated systems that were difficult to track and monitor, such as the purchase order system or lack thereof. Their payroll system was decent and user-friendly but still very outdated.
It would be unfair of me to comment on the management but I would be happy to have that conversation at any time during an interview.
Nice
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New Albany, OHSeptember 13, 2017
A nice place to get a career started. Merger into BrightView has created many pain points and stalled advancement for many people. The company direction is beyond lacking. Fairly compensated and generally treated fairly. - BES employee
good place to work when i started
Project Director / Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCSeptember 12, 2017
good place to work and was rich with family values. new investors and management started depleting the great work atmosphere. quality of work was also impacted due to morale

Want to know more about The Brickman Group, Ltd.?

Ask a question
A good company to grow with
Irrigation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 11, 2017
The Brickman Group is a strong company with family values applied to their work across the country. The corporate model is to grow management from within the ranks.
productive work place
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Bonita, CASeptember 11, 2017
brickman landscaping was one of the most exciting and fun job I had even though it was hard labor I loved it the people were always respectful as well as encouraging
Great Place To Work - Nashville
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 22, 2017
Nashville's office was very friendly and family oriented from the get go. Great staff, Great leadership. very organized and know how to treat and promote their employees. Would go back to work at this branch anytime.
Pros
People and work
Cons
cold weather
It's a good job they will pay you if you work hard and willing to grow with the company nothing bad at all to say great formers, supervisors
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Celebration, FLAugust 21, 2017
I enjoyed working at brickman staff is great there you will get plenty of hours weekly top be able to handle your business of you don't know how to work all equipment help will be provided
Pros
Will always be work
Cons
Hot sun shine rainy days
Just Bad
Crew Leader/Foreman (Former Employee) –  Prosper, TXAugust 20, 2017
Management was beyond poor. It was beyond frustrating. It was the worst management I've ever worked under in my entire life. I was promised a raise when I became a driver and then another when I became a crew leader. I received neither.
the Brickman Group no longer exists
Project Director (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCAugust 11, 2017
The Brickman Group no longer exists. It was a wonderful company to work for. From CEO all the way down to local leadership, it was a great company to work for.
Pros
support and local team
Cons
hours were sometimes long.
Despite merger, a culture of great people
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 8, 2017
Everyone tries their hardest to achieve beautiful landscapes and enhancements. I learned that without the crews, there is no end product to the customer so everyone needs to be treated well and with respect. The hardest part was the turnover with the crews. Everyone fought for pay raises but it was not always possible. The best part of the job was seeing the people and company grow and surpass any other landscape company in the area. It made you feel proud to have the amount of experience the company has on your side.
Pros
Company car for management, great benefit package, team atmosphere
Cons
Long hours, snow removal over time, turnover is high for the crews
Productive and rewarding
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCAugust 7, 2017
Typical day was delegating duties to two crews. One crew was for cleaning and special projects. The other was for grounds maintenance. Management was usually very helpful. Good benefits and job security.
Pros
healthcare, 401k, good management structure
Cons
Slow in winter
Good co-workers but bad management and working conditions.
Plant Health Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOAugust 4, 2017
We were not allowed to go to restaurants or gas stations for food. We were told to bring a lunch and eat at job sites. Ten to twelve hour days weeding and or planting and we were told not to kneel or sit while working. Bend over or squat only. No AC in trucks. Stuck in interstate traffic with temps over 100 and the only relief is to turn on the fan to blow hot air from the engine. NOT a relief from extreme heat. The pay is the lowest in the industry. Management was allowed to be verbally abusive to employees. Management often interfered and would slow jobs down because they didn't know how to do their job, or the jobs they were trying to manage. I love doing my job but the conditions at this company was not worth it.
Water Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHJuly 26, 2017
This is a great company to work for if you like to work out doors. The management team is really good and help you with any questions that you may have. They make sure that the job is done right.