The Brooklyn Hospital Center Employee Reviews

Compensation is average, culture is entrenched, no room for advancement, but you do not have to take any work home with you.
Staff Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 17, 2012
For OTs there are only acute rehabilitation and outpatient rotations. Currently the supervisor is inpatient bedside. Co-workers are okay. The hardest part of the job is coming to work in a non-progressive work environment. Management is only interested in keeping their jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job are my patients and co-workers. WIth my co-workers we have many laughs at management's expense.
Pros
you don't have to bring your work home with you and its near my home.
Cons
salary, no room for advancement, acute rehab without an adl room, management only interested in keeping their jobs..
excellent
Medical Assistant Externship & Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Blood Bank & Pathology LabJune 21, 2015
concentration, positive,
timely.
make sure I finish my duties on time,
management satisfaction.
understanding with my co-workers.
Not doing my job as instructed by my supervisor.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when I receive certificate of complement, and through rise on my salary.
Pros
3.50
Cons
30mins short break, on 8 hrs duties
very productive 24 hours
Patient Care Manager Perioperative Services (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 10, 2015
a trauma level 1 facility .a very pro active management , also a mixed culture working environment however was easy to handle and worked with.Staff were widely experienced .A day to day learning .
Pros
Coopearative OR staff, good benefits
Cons
OR supplies are sometimes not available .
place sucks
Other Experience (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 13, 2016
Do not work here, poor management, unsupporative team, mean and rude.. no one takes accountability of the work that they do, no supervision either
challenging
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 24, 2015
I check my email, supervise the clerks and let them know what needs to be done for the day. I enjoy working with my coworkers. The hardest thing when a pt dies. I get to interact with many people. I love the challenge and learn new things.
Pros
supervisor very understanding
Cons
salary
Environmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 26, 2013
Great Environment, Good Employers, Good Management
I learned great management skills, and I have acquired a lot of knowledge
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
N/A
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 19, 2014
Very nice people and managers, loved working at this hospital
Pros
great benefits
Dont expect too much....
HIM (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn,NYJuly 29, 2014
and you will be fine. Benefits horrible except union. Limited growth.
working at TBHC
Manger Administrative Services (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 24, 2013
I have two years working for The Brooklyn Hospital Center and also in the health field.I knew I wanted a career change and a place where patients are our primary focus. TBHC and it's staff has definitely put me up to speed when it comes to the health field. My everyday is never dull and I am excited to come to work. I manage three different dpts and it keeps me busy. When I first started one of the assignments given to me was to bring up the moral and I am proud to say that I have rebuilt a team to one that is self managed and positive.
I do seek work elsewhere because of the commute. I want to be closer to home.
Pros
Great team and management support
Cons
n/a
Stay Away from this backstabbing Hospital
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 20, 2015
STAY AWAY FROM EMPLOYMENT HEALTH SERVICES!!! Bad leadership.Was harassed daily despite going above and beyond.
No full lunch hour
Constant yelling.
Pros
Bad Leadership
Cons
TOO MANY TO POST!
Neglect of patients. Apathetic staff and Management
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 3, 2013
I worked here as a Occupational Therapist for a 13 week travel assignment. I have extensive experience as an OT and have never encountered such a hostile and apathetic work environment.

Rehab management consistently pressures therapists to treat inappropriate patients. Two faced management cares only about their own jobs. Grossly under equipped rehab department. Rehab Dr. regularly commits borderline to full on medicare fraud. Do not let your family members stay here for acute rehabilitation!

Nurses and Techs rarely use gloves and patients on contact precautions never appropriately marked and contact precautions rarely followed by staff.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the 1-2 out of the 10 PTs who actually care about what they do and provide quality care.
Pros
close to home
Cons
very poor patient care, unprofessional management and staff
A great working environment.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 4, 2015
At Brooklyn Hospital, the brief time I spent there was fun. The medical staff I was working with was very friendly and everyone was willing to give me advice on how to perform my duties. I was a volunteer but I learned a lot from the short time I spent. The environment was demanding but rewarding and I would have loved to continue working there if it wasn't a temporary summer job.
Busy, Productive, Professional
DRIVER/ COURIER (Former Employee) –  BrooklynMarch 10, 2015
A typical day at work would be collectively active. Though I was/am a driver, I spent the majority of my day on my feet. I would pick up Prescriptions from the Hospital Pharmacy to deliver to off-site Clinic locations. I would also deliver mail to these off-site locations, and also deliver Confidential mail to the homes of the members of The Board of Trustees. I learned to become more effective by rearranging the delivery route daily depending on work load and/or daily traffic. I must add that there were a few "Emergency Pick-ups" at other Hospitals for Surgical necessities; I would have to rearrange deliveries and/or specimen pick-ups from off-site locations for these "Emergency Pick-ups."
Pros
Feeling of Accomplishment, Driving, Helping co-workers
Cons
Short or No Breaks, Sitting for long periods of time due to traffic
Arcaic Work Environment
Emergency (Former Employee) –  BrooklynOctober 3, 2014
Little to no training or development after hire. Lack of respect and support from managers (unappreciative, condescending and rude). Poor onsite IT support: it can weeks to get working computer or email account and often takes days to fix even basic issues.

Overall, some nice people, but many grumbling, catty and cut-throat managers and employees. BHC needs to work on it's employee relations and start show a little more humility to its kind.
Pros
Convenience of working in Brooklyn and diversity.
Cons
Disrespectful managers, little training and poor IT support
The most enjoyable part of the job
Director of Patient Relations/Volunteer dept. (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to have a favorable outcome. For example, when an irate patient walks into the office with a complaint, I am able to immediately diffuse the situation. My excellent written and verbal communication skills allow me to identify proper tactics such as attentive listening, problem solving and escalation prevention. Once the issue is resolved, the client regains their trust in the facility and leaves with complete satisfaction. This is precisely why changing a patients irate attitude to a favorable outcome is the enjoyable part of my job.
Experience with internal and external Vendors
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 16, 2013
• Supervised 10 Medical Assistants, Payroll, Medical Billing, Attendance, Employee Yearly Appraisals
• Pharmaceutical Reps Luncheon, Physician On-call Scheduling; Hospice Arrangement; Vendors Coordination
• Expense Reporting and Reconciliation; Union Grievance for 1199 Employees; Patient Medical Billing
• Contractual agreement between MD and HMO plans/Credentialing updates for MD/Medicaid and Medicare Programs
• JCAHO procedures and policies; HIPPA rules and regulations; Real Estate Matters, Policy and Procedures
• Hospital Re-Modernization Projects; Certificate of Needs (CON); Purchase Requisitions
• Applications for Federal Housing Assistance (FHA) funding; Construction Applications with DOB
• Liaison to the Facilities and Engineering Dept.; Business Planning; Interior and Exterior Vendors
Pros
Managing new ventures
Cons
New learning experiences
Excellent environment for learning.
Medical Assistant (Internship/Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 23, 2014
I found my internship to be very rewarding.The staff members responsible for teaching us were skilled, very helpful, thorough and patient. As a matter of fact, all the staff were willing to teach and share their experience with you. Most days were very busy and you found yourself alternating between completing clinical tasks and administrative duties. I loved interacting with the patients as well as the physicians. It would have been an excellent place to work permanently, however, the company does not currently hire their interns. I believe that by not doing so, the company is missing out on a valuable resource. We are trained by your standards, on your systems and would make excellent additions to your company. I have graduated, but I hope future interns have the opportunity to become employees if they possess the skills and desire to do so. I am still a volunteer and I continue to learn from the excellent staff.
Enjoyed working with the patients
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 21, 2013
Very busy from start to finish. Consisted of billing, appointments, authorizations and any other duties that may arise. The environment was family oriented but unfortunately was treated very unfairly by the management most of the time. The hardest part of the job is doing what you are supposed to do and beyond and still not being appreciated for it
Pros
Patients and some co workers
Cons
Unfair management practices
Productive and fun work place
Phlebotomist Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 29, 2014
Getting on time to prepare examining rooms for the doctors to see the patients, preparing paper work required for patients charts, translation for spanish speaking patients, transporting patients to different specialty areas to be examined, making appointments, answering telephone calls, filing, faxing, making photocopies, data entry and most of all being compassionate with all the patients and the people I worked for.
I learned to be a caring person
The hardest part was to lift heavy heavy boxes
And the enjoyable was to be able to help patients with their needs.
Pros
good office
Cons
short breaks
I loved my work & was sad to see the position eliminated.
Manager of Nursing Informatics (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn NYAugust 30, 2014
Was always trying to have the staff build confidence with the EMR. It was wonderful running around all day making them more comfortable with it & reassuring them that they always had help available. Making them smile & relax made my day. I also was the administrator of the electronic staffing system. I enjoyed the people I was working with.
Pros
Never a dull monent. The day went very quickly
Cons
Was a distance from my home, making the days very long

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Brooklyn Hospital Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2