The Carle Foundation Hospital Employee Reviews

Stressful, backstabbing, minimal chance to advance
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South ClinicSeptember 10, 2017
Management in the department was very secretive and talked about staff with other non-management staff in an unprofessional manner. Young, cute and female staff were preferred over anyone with experience or knowledge in the department's speciality. The PSR manager was openly hostile. She and the PSR Lead went out of their way the show favoritism inn the staff. Despite Carle's "open door policy," addressing personnel issues with HR only made matters worse. Carle is always hiring because the are always firing or running staff off.
Pros
Insurance, paid vacation
Cons
Upper management has no control over department management
Growth in knowledge, but lack of educated employees
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILSeptember 4, 2017
There is plenty of opportunity to grow, but due to the job culture, some older employees lack ability to change with new technology and fail to realize the potential with initial changes to make the process flow smoother. This in turn slows down company productivity, accuracy and increases stress and frustration.
Technology needs increased which would attract educated persons since they would know there are opportunities to use advanced systems and make positive, impacted changes. As currently they are outdated and require massive amounts of maintenance.
Disciplinary practices are not used appropriately and those that need guidance are slow to receive it, if any at all, again causing company wide frustration when AR is at stake due to poor workmanship.
Pros
Paid time off, organizational advancements are possible
Cons
Disclinpary practies are poor and not applied appropriately
Productive and Fun!
Volunteer Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 29, 2017
I enjoyed the people and the place! Mr. Bergmann was one of the most influential people in my life and I try to live by his own standards. Carle hires wonderful people.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
New Volunteer Head Coordinator
Fast Paced
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 22, 2017
Assisting the doctors, taking the patients back to their rooms and getting them ready to see the doctor. Very relaxed and well balanced environment to work.
nice place to work
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 17, 2017
Carle has a lot of staff and a large facility. It is easy to get overwhelmed and there is not a lot of training you have to go through before they throw you into the job with out help.
Drama
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILAugust 17, 2017
Too much drama and it starts at the management level and trickles down. If you don't have a degree, you can't advance or better yourself; therefore, you will always be a "peon." The CEO is awesome, but not helpful to the peons
Pros
decent benefits compared to other businesses
Cons
poor pay, no room for advancement if you don't have a degree, too much drama
no posibility of career growth
Patient Services Representative I, (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 16, 2017
Carle has some great departments and providers, but as far as growth within the company it lacks the tools and the initiative to promote within. I would not recommend this organization for long term goals or career aspirations.
Pros
tuition assistance
Cons
non interal growth
Depending on your deparrtment it could be a welcoming envirnorment
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Ubana, ILJuly 27, 2017
Call Center Rep. I did not approve or appreciate the way business is handle when it comes to patients on fix income and the way there accounts were being handled.
Pros
Benefits are decent
Cons
Patient accounts and the way they handle them
Engaging employer who at least tries
Office Coordinator- Radiology (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILJuly 12, 2017
I was pretty isolated as an administrative assistant type position. The culture needs some improvement but when the staff is majority local to a small town there is always personal drama.

The management tries to engage with employees. I was lucky enough to be in a position where I worked first hand with management and had the ability to do some creative and meaningful work.
Pros
space for creative problem solving
Cons
isolated departments/cliques
some good coworkers, but poor management
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 3, 2017
There were good people there but the management was lacking. Phone statistics were a big problem we employees often heard about and when a coworker stepped up and fixed the issue instead of being congratulated we were treated as though we needed to be babysat - coworkers who did not work as hard as others but had seniority received special treatment.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
condescending managment
Rt
Assisting and controlled ventilation (Former Employee) –  RTJune 27, 2017
Stressful working at carle hospital, no having proper communication with others, very fast self paced. It is requirerd for manager to observe and monitor properly.
Fun place to work
Healthcare Tech (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 22, 2017
Loved all my co-workers and liked most of my patients! If being a HCT at Carle paid more I would have definitely the job. I would recommend working at Carle to anyone.
Fast-paced work place
Phlebotomy Training Program Coordinator, Present (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILJune 11, 2017
There is alway work to do, some departments are always short staffed. The main hospital has a cafe which is easy to access. People are generally friendly.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
over-worked
Great Career Outlook
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Champaign, IL 61822June 4, 2017
A typical day at work: Clerical with amazing patients. Some are regulars and you learn how their humor works which can brighten their day and yours

What you learned: I learned to always remain sympathetic for every patient because you never know where someone has been

Management: Depending on which department you work for some are better than other but for the most part in the Otolaryngology dept my manager was amazing!

Workplace Culture: Culture is very diverse and having people work that have different backgrounds and degrees make it a very fun place to work

That Hardest part: It is a hospital so sometimes people leave to go to a specialist at a different hospital or even worse, the patient is deceased.

Most enjoyable: Helping patients and the community in every way possible.
Pros
Discounts at ATnT, 401k package, career outlook
Wonderful place to work
CLINICAL PHARMACIST (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILMay 31, 2017
I moved out of state, but if I stayed in Illinois, I would have worked here forever. No place better. Would highly recommend a career at this facility.
Endless potlucks with wonderful people
Cytology Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILMay 27, 2017
The Cytology office has the most fun in the lab. We all like each other and more than a few are master bakers, which is dangerous for the waist line.
overall a great community caring employer
Physician Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Urbana, IL 61802May 25, 2017
long lasting relationships with all levels of co-workers are encouraged. continuing education is promoted. employee input is valued and encouraged. open door policy access to management.
Growth for Clinicians
Staffing Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILMay 21, 2017
Great company with great opportunities for people interested in healthcare. New facility being built off of Interstate 57 will accommodate non-clinical employees. This will bring many more groups together.
Pros
State of the art medical technology
Cons
Transportation between fairgrounds parking and main hospital is not timely.
enjoyable workplace
Case Coordinator in Occupational Medicine (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILMay 1, 2017
enjoyable workplace, great benefits, opportunity to advance within the workplace, leadership that cares about your personal growth, and a comfortable work atmosphere
Very challenging setting with great opportunities to learn and grow
Student Clinician (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILApril 24, 2017
I worked here as a student PTA and I thought it was great. The staff is very friendly and helpful for the most part, and the hours were very reasonable. It is a fantastic place to learn and grow in your respective field.