The Center for Disability Services

The Center for Disability Services Employee Reviews

Hlping those with disabilities can be fun and rewarding
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee), Albany, NYOctober 3, 2014
Pros: working with those in need
Cons: low paying, can be draining at times
Every day is different. But a typical day starts with direct care, giving medication, then setting up and taking consumers on appointments and keeping track of health and medications.
I learn how to help those with all different disabilities
My management team is excellent and you can talk to them about anything and ask questions
The hardest part of the job is the physical parts of the job such as lifting or changing consumers and also dealing with all types of emotions and personalities, but you work with it, I enjoy it.
The most enjoyable part about the job is knowing you are helping someone and that they are in good hands.
Program has great potential
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), St. Margaret's- Albany,NYApril 14, 2013
Pros: line level staff care
Cons: low pay rates, except for vent unit
Typical day was understaffed, new staff were poorly trained leaving the children in potentially harmful situations. Director of Nursing & Assistant Director, did nothing to improve the conditions! They only cared about keeping all of the beds filled all of the time. They protected there favorites while gross medical mistakes went on and children were hurt and they failed to alert state agencies, they were aware missing controlled narcotics, medication errors, breaches of infection control practices. As long as they could get there next smoke break and they were able to go home by 4pm every day it was a good day.
If it was not. for my long term coworkers who truly cared about the children and tried to create a home environment. It would have been a sterile prison for the children.
Administration's lack of caring and compassion in an environment of a pediatric skilled long term care facility was the hardest thing to deal with.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing at the of my shift I had made the day a little better for those children I was assigned to for that shift.
changing peoples life
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Guilderland, NYJuly 7, 2012
The Center is a rewarding place to work when you see consumers grow and learn new life skills.
Unproductive and Unsafe Work Place
Enrollment - Primary Care (Former Employee), Albany, NYMarch 1, 2012
Pros: lunches were provided by drug representatives.
Cons: inadequate training specific to department.
Unable to describe specifics as to previous employment at the Center but I felt I was unable to grow and learn my job. I feel I was suppressed and thrown to the wolves with inadequate training. I was expected to learn 3 completely different positions within a couple of months with no medical background. I was told by the specialist in my department that I would either sink or swim. It didn't work out.