The Center for Disability Services Employee Reviews

working with a purpose
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany , NY 12110July 13, 2017
I am still employed with the center, its a great company to work for. my PTO is amazing and benefits can't complain about! when a house works as a team; the house runs smoothly! :)
Pros
very flexible
Cons
lots of turn over
The center
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYMay 24, 2017
The center us a good place to work if you want to work with individuals that are disabled. There are so many different programs to work with. There is lots of opportunity for growth.
Terrific coworkers, but very business oriented management
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Glenville Center, NYJuly 22, 2016
Great teams, supportive coworkers, but the Center has gradually become all about billing and paperwork, not about kids and families. Good benefits but pay is not up to par with professions. Several professionals have recently left.
Working with kids was great. Center needs to get back to its mission rather than become just another money oriented program.
Pros
Terrific coworkers
Cons
Emphasis on paperwork and billing instead of people
Resident Counselor
Resident Counselor (Current Employee) –  LathamJune 18, 2015
Every day is different. I love the individuals I help. Wish we made a better living doing the job we do

I've learned to be patient and more helping.

Co-workers for the most part are very helpful. Sometimes have disagreements just like any position and company.

The hardest part of the job is accepting and dealing with all co-workers personalities.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the consumers and helping them to live a better life.
Pros
Consumers
Cons
Pay
Hlping those with disabilities can be fun and rewarding
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 3, 2014
Every day is different. But a typical day starts with direct care, giving medication, then setting up and taking consumers on appointments and keeping track of health and medications.
I learn how to help those with all different disabilities
My management team is excellent and you can talk to them about anything and ask questions
The hardest part of the job is the physical parts of the job such as lifting or changing consumers and also dealing with all types of emotions and personalities, but you work with it, I enjoy it.
The most enjoyable part about the job is knowing you are helping someone and that they are in good hands.
Pros
Working with those in need
Cons
Low paying, can be draining at times
Program has great potential
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Margaret's- Albany,NYApril 14, 2013
Typical day was understaffed, new staff were poorly trained leaving the children in potentially harmful situations. Director of Nursing & Assistant Director, did nothing to improve the conditions! They only cared about keeping all of the beds filled all of the time. They protected there favorites while gross medical mistakes went on and children were hurt and they failed to alert state agencies, they were aware missing controlled narcotics, medication errors, breaches of infection control practices. As long as they could get there next smoke break and they were able to go home by 4pm every day it was a good day.
If it was not. for my long term coworkers who truly cared about the children and tried to create a home environment. It would have been a sterile prison for the children.
Administration's lack of caring and compassion in an environment of a pediatric skilled long term care facility was the hardest thing to deal with.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing at the of my shift I had made the day a little better for those children I was assigned to for that shift.
Pros
line level staff care
Cons
low pay rates, except for vent unit
changing peoples life
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Guilderland, NYJuly 7, 2012
The Center is a rewarding place to work when you see consumers grow and learn new life skills.
Unproductive and Unsafe Work Place
Enrollment - Primary Care (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 1, 2012
Unable to describe specifics as to previous employment at the Center but I felt I was unable to grow and learn my job. I feel I was suppressed and thrown to the wolves with inadequate training. I was expected to learn 3 completely different positions within a couple of months with no medical background. I was told by the specialist in my department that I would either sink or swim. It didn't work out.
Pros
lunches were provided by drug representatives.
Cons
inadequate training specific to department.