The Center for Discovery Employee Reviews in United States

No opportunity for growth
Senior Residential Associate (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYNovember 5, 2015
No opportunity for growth here. The worst place I have ever worked. Its all about politics and who you know. The management is just plain awful. The turn over rate is through the roof because they do not treat their staff well at all.
Pros
Benefits arent bad
Cons
Treat staff horrible!
Residents are awesome, management sucks big time
Senior Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYMay 29, 2016
This is a great place to work if your in school or just getting your life together to move on to bigger and better things. The residents and the people that you'll be assisting are the best part about working at this place, at times it can be tough dealing with individuals who are complex but it makes you feel good when you know your are doing your best to help them. Management is very horrible and the higher ups are very disconnected with what's really going on in the residences houses. It's sad to say but if they like you, your good to stay and if they don't like you, they will find anything to get you fired. I worked at this place for almost five years and I seen the mistreatment of a lot of people at this job. It just amazes me that management can mistreat employees that care and assist the residents. This place will be taken over by the state eventually.
Pros
Residents, free lunch, benefits
Cons
Management management management
Fulfilling work
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Harris, NYSeptember 30, 2015
Fun but tough job. Humbling experience. Company has grown so much in my time there. Demanding position with 24/7 responsibilities. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the progress made by the complex individuals that reside there. Company does seem to be trying to expanding beyond its means in my opinion.
Pros
competitive salary, free gym
Cons
too many chefs in the kitchen at times
Good care, poor management
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  nyApril 13, 2016
The people got very good care here, but the management leaves much to be desired. My immediate supervisor was absulutely useless!! However, if I reported her to her boss, they would not believe this. It is a very political climate and you are either "in" or "out". Very poor communication with the staff. and if you dont cow tow to everything they say or want you are definately "out"
Pros
good care for residents
Cons
management poor
The Center for Discovery Nursing Department
LPN (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYSeptember 14, 2015
The chain of command is mostly followed. Superiors mostly eager to help. Supervisors always available. Most healthcare is provided on site. Amazing RA's to complete everyday care. Unfortunately, due to ICF standards there are not a lot of opportunities to be hands on. Most nursing responsibilities are paperwork derived.
Pros
Comfortable working environement, Top Notch Health Care, Specialized care for individuals under OPWDD regulations, great benefits, working chain of command
Cons
paperwork based nursing; not a lot of hands on opportunities in ICF care
Great Job, if you drink the kool aid
Residential Associate (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYJune 2, 2015
I enjoyed my time here. They have a different way doing things and expect you to follow them without question. Not a bad way, just very atypical of average life.
Pros
helping the less fortunate, friendly atmosphere, decent benefits
Cons
may be a little too strange for most, upper management may be a little disconnected from the rest of the company
Great job for mature individuals
Residential Associate (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYJuly 31, 2013
The job was difficult at first but after a few weeks it was awesome, the training they send you too kinda makes it a little worse than what it really is.
Every house you work in is different but none the less you are required to take care of the residents at all cost, bathing, activities, teaching, eating, etc.
MOST IMPORTANT to them is safety (of course) but they require you to follow certain guild lines and if you react too quickly or too late that could cost you your job.
This job has a very high turn over rate, most because they hire kids right out of highschool who needs a job & people who go to college.
Overall the job has more pros than cons, but no matter how long and dedicated youve been with this company if you mess up once they will fire you without question.
Pros
benefits, management, experience
Cons
security, traveling, athority
As a Resident Associate...
Resident Associate (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYFebruary 4, 2013
You will be in care for a group of residents with severe developmental disabilities. This is an emotionally exhaustive job, but if you have a personality which thrives on caring for others, you will find it enjoyable. You also complete required paperwork, help the residents with daily living skills, cleaning, chores, activities and are expected to be at work no matter the weather. Management could be better, as there is little supervision of staff during the shift and as a result many of the co-workers slack off and sometimes you end up doing their work on top of your own. The hardest part of the job is dealing with behaviors from the residents and dealing with co-workers when they do not work. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is knowing you are helping people who would otherwise be overlooked, and really learning from the residents.
Pros
excellent benefits, positive atmosphere
Cons
lack of direct supervision of workers at all times, lack of responsibility on the part of some workers
Running it to the groud
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Monticello, NYOctober 26, 2015
Working in the houses are like being back in highschool there is always drama for some reason. people care mire about their co workers than the individuals they are suppose to be caring about.
Pros
learning
Cons
co workers, drama
Students and residents were the best part about this place!
TA (Former Employee) –  Harris NYJune 2, 2015
I went through orientation thinking that what they were saying was true but I was wrong. Some of the employees are downright rude and just miserable. I also noticed if there was a resident with a disability that was much more complex than another resident, that person would be passed on to someone else other than the person who was writing the schedule because they didn't want to deal with it. I would recommend someone working here if they were just working for the summer or working there until they find a more permanent job because you do not want to work with nasty employees forever. The residents and students are fantastic but not a healthy work environment if you are an upbeat person because it seems like everyone around you is always trying to bring you down!
Pros
Awesome residents and students
Cons
(Some) miserable, rude employees
Fun and Educating workplace
Teacher's Associate (Current Employee) –  Harris, NYFebruary 26, 2012
The Center for Discovery is really great with their work ethics. They also are great with the children and adults they provide care and services to.
Pros
great hours, great atmosphere
Cons
no raises
Productive work environment
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  NYOctober 25, 2014
a typical day at work- pleasant
what you learned- time management
management- well organized
your co-workers- supportive
the hardest part of the job- schedule
the most enjoyable part of the job- working with kids
Either you love it or you hate it.
Teacher's Associate (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYJuly 24, 2013
Just know that you're in for a challenge. The gap between the people who do direct care and those who are administrators is massive and therefore leads to a lot of misunderstandings and/or lack of respect. Inadequate breaks are a huge issue when you are in such a high stress environment. If you are the kind of person that can brush off aggressive behaviors and can stay detached with a sense of humor, you will flourish. If you carry stress with you and become emotionally invested, you will be overwhelmed. The facilities are incredible but the expectations of perfection within them can be unreasonable. Your coworkers will be your safety net, but this is a school so you can always run into messy miscommunications right quick.
Pros
facilities and grounds
Cons
stress levels and lack of support
A unique facility that provides fantastic care and opportunities for children and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder and multiple disabilities.
Music Therapy Intern (Current Employee) –  Harris, NYNovember 8, 2014
The Center for Discovery is a outstanding music therapy internship site. My seven-month internship has given me extensive experience leading individual and group music therapy sessions with children and adults with ASD and multiple disabilities using an improvisational approach. The music therapy department consists of five incredible music therapists, all of whom are excellent resources for an intern. I feel my internship has supplied me with the training and experience I need to be successful as a Board Certified Music Therapist.
Beware of co-worker drama
residential associate (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYDecember 21, 2014
A typical day being employed at the center was very rewarding, and the work was demanding. I learned how to properly care for individuals with a variety of disabilities. My co-workers were much younger, and were more concerned about where the next party was rather than their job, which created a lot of drama among them. The hardest part of the job was ducking and dodging gossip and passive aggressive behavior from co-workers, and the most enjoyable part of the job was when I worked at night by myself or with one other person.
Enjoyable
Seasonal Day Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Harris, NYSeptember 16, 2014
I liked this job. I enjoyed the comppany of my coworkers. Also, the management was good
Fun workplace with lots of opportunities
Teacher Assistant, Direct Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYAugust 20, 2012
I provided support and assistance with daily living. I learned a lot about the autism spectrum and people with medical disabilities. My co-workers were fun, energetic, and eager to work. The hardest part of the job was learning how to handle people with disabilities and how to take care of their needs. The most enjoyable part of working at The Center For Discovery was helping the students overcome a challenging goal.
Residents make you feel good about working here.
Residential Associate (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYOctober 23, 2014
Nice place to work. Coworkers and supervisor are kind and courteous.
Pros
good working atmosphere.
Cons
far from my home.
Working with individuals with disabilities
Staff nurse LPN (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYOctober 31, 2012
Medication administration, ordering inventory and medications, wound care, tracheotomy care, foley care, breathing treatments, feeding tubes, adaptive equipment,
Pros
working with some great staff
Cons
being phsyically assulted by clients
Amazing and uplifting
Senior Residential Associate (Former Employee) –  Harris, NYDecember 20, 2013
amazing population to work for, the company has amazing amenities for the population they support
Pros
they grow their own foods on their farm
Cons
isolation they don't go out in the community with the individuals

2.6