The Center for Health Care Services Employee Reviews

Enjoyed everyday at work!
Recovery Support Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio TexasMay 6, 2015
Pros: Everyday was different.
Cons: We did not receive raises unless we moved positions
I used to work in the men's mental health dorm at Haven For Hope. These were all men who were trying to better themselves as far as detox from drugs and alcohol and also learn how to adapt to their mental health disabilities. I would make sure my case load attended there daily classes, counseling sessions, Doctors appointment and took medications. I assisted these clients in adjusting to the real world and being independent to eventually get their own place and job. Best feeling I've ever had was knowing you helped them get to where they are at!
Productive and interesting work place
Medical Office Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: free lunch every friday
Cons: short breaks
we start our day filing and storing the medical records used the day before and delivered in the Medical Records Room. I learned how to create a paper based medical record, including all its tabs separating each different parts of the record. the manager was an excellent person that gives me the opportunity of work hands on since the first day. my coworkers were a professional persons with many years in this topic. the hardest part of this job was to file documents from a few years back and locate each medical record. the most enjoyable part of the job was the way they treat they workers.
CHCS Helps the Community
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee), San AntonioNovember 25, 2014
Pros: helping the community
Cons: no cons
This position allowed me to utilize my skill to help the community. It has excellent state funded programs that directly impact my local community
I can't even give it 1 star. terrible uninvolved management who push away knowledgeable excellent staff due to backstabbing cutthroat nonsense. ...
Former nurse (Former Employee), crisis center DowntownSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: terrible working environment! !!!!
DONT WORKING THERE!!!!!!
Waste of your time
Much better jobs that treat you like you should be treated
No job prefect but the crisis center is a TERRIBLY! !!!
Work environment
Clinical Practitioner I (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 17, 2014
CHCS is Bexar County's leading mental health authority. There are several areas to work in and there is opportunity for different education levels.
Loved it. Learned so much.
Rehab Case Manager I (Clinical Practitioner I) (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJune 4, 2014
Great place to work if you want to get more experience in MH/BH. The pay is competitive for lower level positions but there are politics involved as with any large organization.
Run And Never Look Back
Clinical Practitioner (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: decent pay and benefits. worked with great case management.
Cons: deplorable management
This is the worst agency that I have ever worked for. Deplorable management with Axis I and II diagnoses as they display paranoid behaviors when they feel you know more than they do. At times it was difficult to tell if you were working under the clients supervision or management as I was tempted to complete uniform assessments and incorporate treatment plans for management. Of the past four years of working with this agency I have seen great case managers get run off by management because of the case managers refusal to commit Medicaid fraud by working off the clock to complete notes at home. If you have any suggestions on how to improve the program then you are now an enemy because case management are NOT supposed to have any opinions or suggestions which once again raises the paranoia in management. The CEO is just as clueless as the management he has over the various programs as in his mind the clients are receiving quality services when that is clearly NOT the case. Mediocre services are being provided to the clients as Medicaid continues to be billed for maximum services provided. There's absolutely no room for advancement unless you are a bona fide brown noser by being a puppet for management and backstabbing coworkers and report back to management on coworkers whereabouts. Overall if looking for employment I would highly encourage to NOT apply with this agency because you'll find yourself running out the door faster than you did applying for employment there...
Cutthroat environment
Director of Nursing Supervision and Quality (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 19, 2014
Learned not to trust ANYONE. Controlling. Top heavy management. Co-workers treated like children. Hardest part of job was going to work every day. Most enjoyable was co-workers
Productive and growing workplace with caring attitude toward population/community served.
Training & Compliance Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: good healthcare benefits
Cons: intense working conditions at times
Great work environment in a community service orientated workplace. A typical day at work involved a very busy schedule to manage, prepare and carry out training schedules for all staff as well as coordinate, answer and problem solve human resource employee relations issues and tasks. The most difficult part of my job was the intensity at times of the issues for employee relations. I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the job particularly in the development/training sessions when employees would "get it".
Worst place I have ever worked.
Multiple units in crisis department. (Former Employee), SA, TX.August 21, 2013
Pros: decent pay.
Cons: poor management, poor health benefits, and atrocious structure.
We were constantly over worked. Change was occurring on a monthly basis. Worst management I have ever worked for. Management's ethics are basically non-existent. Extremely high turn over. If you will be working in the mobile crisis or in house crisis be prepared to be working 60+ hours without extra pay beyond 40 hours, have lack of structure, lack of training, and lack of resources. Management does not have your back and if you have some type of dissability, they are more than likely not going to respect your needs. The on call for the mobile unit is rediculous, mutiple days in the week were you could be spending up to 10 hours working on call plus your regular shift. This department is abusive, unstructured, and should be your last resort for a job.
stay away
caseworker (Former Employee), San Antonio TexasAugust 17, 2013
Cons: read the above
Any absolutely horrible, messy place to work. Backstabbing coworkers and deplorable management from the CEO on down. There are some good people that work there but most of them get run off by incompetent management and backstabbing coworkers. I was glad to see this place in my rearview mirror. Stay away unless you like constant change and never ending stress.
Exhausting
Psychiatric Nurse (Former Employee), San Antonio TexasJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: employees love helping mental health patients, good pay, and acceptable benefit packages
Cons: no management support, constant changes, new forms, frequently changing of processes.. sending a patient for a transfer changed 4 times in 6 months
The Center was not awful, however there is a major lack of communication with HR and hiring manager. You have to attend some additional certification class, very ridge with training.
Good experience
Clinical Practitioner I (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXNovember 1, 2012
Pros: weekends off
Cons: limited resources
Stressful but good benefits and work experience for the mental health field.
Stressful but rewarding
Casworker II (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 27, 2012
Pros: traditional work hours
Cons: lack of resources
I enjoy helping mentally ill clients. I enjoy my co-workers. It's difficult finding basic needs for clients due to lack/minimal resources.