The Center for Health Care Services Employee Reviews

Motivated Team
Fund-Raising Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 2, 2017
I had the opportunity to work with a great and motivated executive team and gain first hand experience with executive meetings.
Safe and comfortable environment.
Clinical Services Administrator/Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 4, 2017
The environment at the office is a "light", upbeat, and a safe place. Depending on your department, you can have a fast pace day or more of a calm one.
Pros
Great work environment
Everyday you learn
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 30, 2016
One of the best places I have worked. Good benefits and the managers are not micro managing you. The pay could be better. Overall a good work environment but stressful at times.
Pros
Good coworkers
Recovery Oriented
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 30, 2016
The Center really helps people with mental health issues. Their goal is to provide mental health for all those people that are going through a crisis or have an ongoing mental health problem. Typical day at The Center is very different from every other day. I have enjoyed working here but I think it is time to move on.
Pros
Cons
Good health benefits
productive
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 3, 2016
you learn something each and everyday. supervisors are great. everyone helps one another. clients teach you soimething new everyday. your mind gets shaped into a better one.
Pros
clients
Cons
hours
Bad place to work.
Clinical Practitioner I (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 5, 2016
This is a horrible environment with which to work. People are laid off and immediately there jobs are posted at a lower wage. The management does not care what they put you through. All they want is the money and all they are concerned about is the DST. Clients are not receiving good quality of care. Back stabbing by coworkers. We are never encouraged to voice our opinions on anything. Management does not live by the rules, they are only out for themselves.
Pros
Cons
Pay, back stabbing coworkers, over worked, does not follow the laws when it comes to people working off the clock.
Qidp
QIDP (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 27, 2016
Review and managed 6 HCS homes and made sure residents needs were being met. Assisted in training staff for better handling with care of residents.
Stagnant, antiquated, toxic
Individual Contributor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 16, 2016
If I could give a ZERO-star rating, I would.

Every aspect of this company is disorganized. Antiquated policies, processes and procedures, no definition of roles. Leadership puts up with gossip, lies and poor performance. Emotional decisions made daily that affect personnel and consumers. Retaliatory behavior from management for voicing concerns about hostile work environment and patient safety concerns.

This place needs a SERIOUS and RESOUNDING house-cleaning at the upper-management (C-suite & VP) level. Most of which have been promoted from within due to tenure, not talent. An outsider needs to come in with innovative ideas and break the norm; would work wonders.
Pros
Decent pay, flexible schedule
Cons
Plenty, see review.
helpful place
Clinical Practitioner II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 31, 2016
The coworker are great and it is great serving the clients.We serve client experience co-occuring disorders.It is a great place to gain expereince.
Pros
benefits and population.
Cons
the pay is low.
Great Environment
Speech Language Pathologist Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 6, 2015
Great and compassionate employees who deliver excellent services to children and their families. Also, great benefits and supportive management.
Community Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 7, 2015
Friendly staff.
Lots of training.
Possible long term career.
Not your typical office
Diverse staff.
Clients are mental health, substance abuse and homeless.
Management are typically put in a position they do not belong.
Pros
Time off, compensation, hours worked
Cons
Depressing work place with the client you come in contact with
Worst Place to work.
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 26, 2015
Work place is not supportive of middle managers,The middle managers are constantly under investigation for one reason or the other.Not very friendly for new managers.
The hardest part of the job is the job instability and the culture of constant change of management,The culture of silence is very valued,
Productive, Outgoing,Team player, good Social and commuication skills
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 18, 2015
Supervised 22 male unit, assisted with the following from wake up calls, distributed and counted medication, routinely room checks,breathalizer,urine test, entered data required to system, wrote progress notes, answered calls, to messages and related them, reported any situations to supervisor
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
Benfits rates went up to high
Good small company for behavioral health.
Director for Finance and Business Operations (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 22, 2015
Behavioral health care at the Center is strong, but business operations are lagging behind the medical field. Overall the organization has potential to expand services and provide much needed health care for the underserved.
Enjoyed everyday at work!
Recovery Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TexasMay 6, 2015
I used to work in the men's mental health dorm at Haven For Hope. These were all men who were trying to better themselves as far as detox from drugs and alcohol and also learn how to adapt to their mental health disabilities. I would make sure my case load attended there daily classes, counseling sessions, Doctors appointment and took medications. I assisted these clients in adjusting to the real world and being independent to eventually get their own place and job. Best feeling I've ever had was knowing you helped them get to where they are at!
Pros
Everyday was different.
Cons
We did not receive raises unless we moved positions
Productive and interesting work place
Medical Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 21, 2015
we start our day filing and storing the medical records used the day before and delivered in the Medical Records Room. I learned how to create a paper based medical record, including all its tabs separating each different parts of the record. the manager was an excellent person that gives me the opportunity of work hands on since the first day. my coworkers were a professional persons with many years in this topic. the hardest part of this job was to file documents from a few years back and locate each medical record. the most enjoyable part of the job was the way they treat they workers.
Pros
free lunch every Friday
Cons
Short breaks
CHCS Helps the Community
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San AntonioNovember 25, 2014
This position allowed me to utilize my skill to help the community. It has excellent state funded programs that directly impact my local community
Pros
Helping the community
Cons
No Cons
I can't even give it 1 star. terrible uninvolved management who push away knowledgeable excellent staff due to backstabbing cutthroat nonsense. ...
Former nurse (Former Employee) –  crisis center DowntownSeptember 20, 2014
DONT WORKING THERE!!!!!!
Waste of your time
Much better jobs that treat you like you should be treated
No job prefect but the crisis center is a TERRIBLY! !!!
Work environment
benefits
Cons
TERRIBLE WORKING ENVIRONMENT! !!!!
Clinical Practitioner I (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 17, 2014
CHCS is Bexar County's leading mental health authority. There are several areas to work in and there is opportunity for different education levels.
Loved it. Learned so much.
Rehab Case Manager I (Clinical Practitioner I) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 4, 2014
Great place to work if you want to get more experience in MH/BH. The pay is competitive for lower level positions but there are politics involved as with any large organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Center for Health Care Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9