The Center for Youth and Family Solutions Employee Reviews

Exceptional Work Place
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Rock Island, ILMarch 5, 2017
I have worked for this company since day 1. This is a top performing agency where best practice is taken seriously and the dedication to providing the families the best quality services possible is of utmost importance. The support from colleagues is incredible and helps to make the challenging aspects of the job more manageable.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Similar to other social service agencies
Supportive and Family-Oriented
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 17, 2017
I have worked for this organization since it's inception nearly 5 years ago. I find it to be very supportive, both colleagues and leadership/admin. Being a professional and a mother, this agency has been very flexible to allow me to meet the needs of both the agency/clients and my family. My co-workers are wonderful people who are dedicated to helping people and supporting each other. My supervisor has been nothing but open to new ideas, supportive, and encouraging. I have really enjoyed my time with this agency and look forward to many more years!
Pros
Flexible time, supportive, training opportunities, advancement opportunities, dedicated to serving clients
Cons
The work can be very emotionally difficult at times.
Treated as disposable help
Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 25, 2014
I have worker at CYFS for a while now. I am not new to the socialwork field. I have never in my life worked for an organization that was so unethical in my life. I cannot get out of here quick enough.

First, the workload is over double of what is acceptable by DCFS standards. 15 to 18 points is normal. I have 30. (Each child is a point or 1.5 if specialized) i am supposed to work Monday through Friday with some weekends on call. In the last 3 months I have not had any days off. Vacation time is unheard of. If I requested it I would be denied. I have a supervisor who sits in her office all day pinteresting and doing art projects. Not even kidding, while our entire team is suffering.

The administration makes horrible comments about how caseworkers do not work hard. Nor could they name anyone that works there. I watched one admin ask someone if they were new and they had worked there FIVE years!! The work culture is horrible. Everyone hates it there and is very vocal about it. The tension can be cut with a knife.

They also laid people off last week, yet still are hiring?!? The director of development is also the COO, which explains the whole money crisis. No one feels safe in our jobs. There is no support. Turnover is way higher than other agencies I have worked for. We make 10 thousand under other agencies in the area. I make 27,000 dollars. That is with a college degree. Raises and bonuses do not exist.

Do not work here. Go to any other agency. I wish I did and I can't get out soon enough.
Pros
Working with great clients
Cons
Everything that is CYFS
Overworked- underpaid/under appreciated
Foster Care Family Worker (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJuly 1, 2014
I have been working as a family worker here since the summer of 2012. Everyone I know working here is looking for another employer in the field because of how poorly the staff is treated. They adjusted how they pay their employees so they could get out of paying us real overtime, so instead it comes out to approximately 2.75 an hour per overtime, which you will work and a lot. My supervisor is never around and there have been multiple complaints about it, but nothing ever changes. The work atmosphere is high stress and not supportive. I would have never chose to interview here if I knew how it would be. They pay 10 grand under the other social service agencies, the health insurance is not competitive, and the vacation time is horrible compared to others.
Pros
Helping families
Cons
No support, poor leadership, bad attitudes, low pay, no appreciation
A great atmosphere to work at due to co-worker cooperation
Foster Care Mental Health Therapist (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 23, 2013
I enjoy assisting others achieve their personal goals and work towards having a stable family and support system.
Very busy work place
Family Advocate Case Assistant (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 30, 2012
A typical work day may start with a transport where you might be transporting a child to counseling. There may be a gap in time and then you may be supervising a visit with a child and the parent. The hardest part of the job is when you pick up a child for a visit and the parent does not show. The most enjoyable part of the job would be seeing the smiles on the children.
Pros
laid back
Cons
not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Center for Youth and Family Solutions. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8