The Center for Craft, Creativity & Design (CCCD) is looking for a part-time gallery assistant to work in our newly renovated downtown Asheville art space. The ideal candidate will be personable, extremely organized, detail oriented, and have strong communication skills to work with the CCCD team on long-term projects. Saturday availability required.
Job duties include:
- Staff Front Desk: Ensure the security and safety of artwork during opening hours and events; oversee the gallery, checking that it is clean and visitors follow gallery protocol; track and record visitor numbers and temperature/humidity readings; handle phone traffic and other office management responsibilities.
- Public Interface: Knowledgeably answer questions about exhibits, artists, and artwork and eloquently articulate the work of the CCCD to visitors.
- Project and Database Support: Provide key support on administrative and research projects, including exhibition research, public events, marketing, database entry, mailings, etc.
Bachelors degree in Art History or a related field and proficiency in Microsoft Office required. Arts administration experience preferred. Applicants must be able to lift/push/pull 25lbs or more, climb ladders, and operate other tools and equipment.
Part Time, $10/hour, up to 30 hours per week
Please send a cover letter, resume, two references, and short answer responses to Marilyn Zapf (mzapf at craftcreativitydesign.org) by Friday, April 4, 2014. No phone calls please.
Please answer the following three questions in 500 words or less:
1. Why do you want to be a gallery assistant? What interests you about assisting with exhibitions and programs about contemporary craft and design?
2. Consider your most memorable exhibition, museum, or gallery experience. How would you apply what you experienced or learned through your own work?
3. Describe something - anything - from outside of the art museum arena that you’d like to see expand the museum or gallery experience.
*Questions and format modified from Nina Simon’s blog Museum 2.0
The CCCD is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against any individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status. The CCCD encourages applications from traditionally under-represented minority populations. Submitting an application does not constitute a promise or guarantee of employment.
The CCCD, established in 1996, advances the understanding of craft by encouraging and supporting research, critical dialogue, and professional development. The Center is situated in Asheville, NC, ref: www.craftcreativitydesign.org.