The Center Employee Reviews

Veteran Service Organization
Executive Assistant to the President and CEO (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 20, 2017
This company does well with assisting veterans and their needs. It is really hard to advance if you are not a veteran. Your role in the company reflects whether or not you are a veteran.
Pros
Helping homeless veterans
Cons
No 401K, No raises
Very competitve place to work
Global Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 31, 2017
The Center was one of my most enjoyable places to intern it taught me a lot of the public relations and multimedia side of the corporate world and how its run.
Pros
Cafeteria on campus
Cons
No benefits
Accompanying adults with disabilities
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 30, 2017
Accompanying adults with disabilities gave me a chance to be more interactive with them and be more aware of their disabilities and how to help them out in life.
A very enjoyable summer job!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Montana, USAOctober 1, 2017
I worked there for 2 months over summer break. I coordinated worldwide membership for a new international conservation group.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 24, 2017
Great staff to work with. Management don't care about high staff turn over in the company. Administration manager is the best along with assistant cfo
great people work there
Front Desk Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Anna Maria, FLSeptember 20, 2017
I really had a great experience overall working at the center. I met a ton of people and began an amazing networking system.This a non profit organization so be prepared to fundraise and put your face in the community.
Staff and residents friendly, just too many bugs, and long hours.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 13, 2017
Able to help with the supervision of people with certain kinds of mental and physical disabilities. Able to work with my own disabilities. I have learned how to manage the behaviors of persons with various kinds of mental challenges. I am very knowledgeable about all aspects of the job. Can train new persons to the job. The present supervisor is very fair and cooperates with the Direct Support Professional staff. She looks into any problems that are reported to her. She is very efficient. She is proactive. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the residents.
Pros
paid lunch hour
Cons
bug infestations.
Over All
Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORSeptember 5, 2017
The Center helped me to achieve different skills in Medical Billing. I was used to doing Medical Billing on the front end, by pushing charges through. The Center provided the skills of Claims Analyst/Research after these claim were adjudication by the insurance companies.

Daily duties included eligibility verification, appeals, refunds, working high dollar and aged claims researching denied codes and submitting those denials to the coders for review.
Pros
Good job experience
Cons
Salary limitations
Enjoyable workplace environment, a staff committed to success.
Director of Development (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2017
The Center for Family Support is a tremendous organization, serving over 1500 individuals and family members per week. A typical day for me is focusing on any particular fundraising activities that are going on, managing my Foundation Board, managing content for our website, working with our new PR/Marketing firm and supporting the work of our Executive Director.

I have learned much about the governments role in helping those with developmental and other related disabilities. I have learned about the different ways our organization supports those we serve.

Management is solid, with most of the Senior. Management Team having been with the organization for over 15 years. They are very committed to those we serve.

The Workplace Culture is pro-active. Staff throughout the organization work together on projects. A very heavy emphasis on "teamwork".

The hardest part of my job is being turned down when I have asked for a donation. But, I don't take it personally and get back on my feet to ask the next person.

The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the people we serve. They are so appreciative of the help our organization provides, and that appreciation is always evident.
Pros
great staff, easy going, but focused work environment, office location, annual bonus
Cons
Salary increases
The center
Group Co-facilitator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 31, 2017
The job is not worth the pay i feel like im on the tiatnic and im sinking along with it i need something more structure and pays well co workers at the job are really not organnized its just too much to deal with without even offer a brighter future
Pros
I can say i have a income
Cons
Everything about the job
Challenging, Low Celing for Advancement
PATHWAY COACH (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 18, 2017
It is a great entry level position; for persons that have been working in social services over ten years it can be less challenging. The advancement here is not so common.
productive workplace
Para-Professional (Former Employee) –  winston salem ncJune 26, 2017
my typical day at work was very relaxed and fun. my consumer was a young lady with mental issues. sweet personality with many issues. the most enjoyable part was interaction with the consumers
Pros
going on outings
Cons
short lunch break
Great place to learn
GIS Analyst and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 15, 2017
Good opportunity to learn a lot from the best professionals in the field. The workplace culture was relaxed although the expectations were high. The best part of the job is being outside all day and learning new things.
Great as a side job if you live nearby and have a lot of spare time on your hands.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  3638 Bainbridge Dr, North Highlands, CA 95660June 2, 2017
This job is not good if you have to take public transit to get to because if you don't leave way too early from a far distance, you will be late. Also, if you expect really good pay look elsewhere. Also, it would be a good first job. Though it is challenging if you don't know what you are doing with kids. I would say to either do research before applying or to already have siblings. Also be creative with activities. The Homework is also super important to remember.
Pros
Free lunches, learning experience
Cons
very stressful, some of the kids are snots regardless.
Not too bad of a work place
Admissions Coordinaton/Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 18, 2017
The mission of what they are trying to do here at the Center is great, the staffing for the most part are great but just as almost any non-profit, there is no good compensation unless you're higher up. You will receive an additional work load with no promise to a raise.
Cons
barely get to take a break
Fulfilling, but very exclusive.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 27, 2017
A typical day at the Center is full of laughter, inside jokes, and camaraderie. Everyone is tireless and passionate about their job, and some of the staff would work 100+ hours a week, writing grants, coordinating events, and fundraising, for no reason other than pure dedication and love for the LGBTQIA2 community.

This can be a double edged sword.

Because of the sheer amount of work that the senior staff voluntarily put into their job, it is very difficult for one who is new to the non-profit sector to keep up. The learning curve is mercilessly steep, and one cannot expect to have a long tenure at the Center without at least a decade of experience, or a master's degree, in their chosen field. One can spend years volunteering, bleeding for the Center, and often, it is entirely thankless. I myself was a volunteer at the Center for 8 years before I was even brought on as an unpaid intern.

Overall, if you have the extremely rare privilege to work for the Center, it is very fulfilling, and you will make friends and connections that last a lifetime, but the work is often thankless, and the politics can at times be overbearing and juvenile.But for one who is fueled by their passion, who doesn't care for thanks or for empire building, it is extremely fulfilling and life affirming.
Co-worker are great, management is lacking
Medical assistant (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORMarch 21, 2017
I worked here for 5 years. I love most of the team that I work with however the management team is less than stellar. There are a lot of sneaky underhanded things that go on with the management team. They seem to care only about the money and do not care about keeping good hard working employees happy. Promoting within the company is very hard and you better like the job your in because you will have a hard time moving into a better one.
Cons
no coverage for breaks, lunches unless you find it, poor pay, poor benefits
Nothing Stays
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 27, 2017
If you don't want a career, choose this company. Nothing stays the same, from the employees, to the families, to the rules.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
Great team work!
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hays, KSFebruary 20, 2017
Working at The Center has given me multiple opportunities to grow and develop as a young professional. I really feel like I'm part of a team who is making a difference! The people at The Center aren't just my friends but they slowly became part of my family.
Pros
Co-workers were great at building relationships and educating each other.
Cons
Management was non-confrontational and seemed passive aggressive.
Love my co-workers
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Woburn, MAJanuary 27, 2017
I love it here there is just a lot of stress with no communication. Co-Workers and Operations Manager is fantastic. Typical Day here is sometimes a great day and sometimes a bad day. No Staff to put anywhere