The Center Employee Reviews

Great team work!
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hays, KSFebruary 20, 2017
Working at The Center has given me multiple opportunities to grow and develop as a young professional. I really feel like I'm part of a team who is making a difference! The people at The Center aren't just my friends but they slowly became part of my family.
Pros
Co-workers were great at building relationships and educating each other.
Cons
Management was non-confrontational and seemed passive aggressive.
Love my co-workers
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Woburn, MAJanuary 27, 2017
I love it here there is just a lot of stress with no communication. Co-Workers and Operations Manager is fantastic. Typical Day here is sometimes a great day and sometimes a bad day. No Staff to put anywhere
Amazing place to teach
Nia Instructor (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAOctober 28, 2016
I loved teaching at The Center. The owner and fellow teachers are such caring, kind and fun people. The students are committed to their practice. I wish I still lived in Harrisonburg so I could teach and take class at The Center!
Pros
Wonderful people
Free gym with great people
Fitness Staff (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IANovember 6, 2016
Working here gets you a free gym during slow times. The hardest thing you have to do is lift chairs and tables. You don't see much of your coworkers. A typical day includes physical labor.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
No break
excellent work place, low hours, low pay
Troubleshooting & Blackboard Support (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXJuly 31, 2016
You will work hard fixing peoples PCs, problem is you don't get more than 20 hrs a week. It's hard working for a place that pays low with low hours, and going to college. Sometimes work takes over and tries to control your life.
Pros
easy work environment, easy job
Cons
low pay, low hours available, and no advancement
Nothing Stays
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 27, 2017
If you don't want a career, choose this company. Nothing stays the same, from the employees, to the families, to the rules.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
Loved working with special populations
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 22, 2016
Low pay a lot of work. Loved working with patients. hardest part is if your not a social person you wont last. because you cant work and do your job unless you are friends with certain people.
Pros
you will learn a great deal
Cons
low pay
Enjoyed working with vendors and school districts
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2015
Obtained great professional skills in accounting ,customer and vendor relations. It was a joy to bring in new business and to have been apart of a much needed service to children. And knowing that through my assistance schools were being educated in how to teach our underserved students nationwide.
Pros
Mostly worked independently
Cons
Delay in pay at times
Productive fun place to work.
Receptionist/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILOctober 19, 2015
This was a great position. I was at this job for about 30 years. I kept my computer skills up to date. Technology is always changing. My co workers were a team and we worked well together. I am a people person and this job allowed me that. I am retiring now and would like to keep in the work place.
Pros
Free Lunch on occasion.
Cons
The Drive to Arlington Heights
Great place to work!
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSJuly 20, 2015
While working at the center I worked as a substitute for a year and then I became teachers assistant to the 3-4 year old classroom. It was a great job that taught me a lot about responsibility. My co-workers were great to work with and would always help out if needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the children I was with grow and learn.
Pros
fun job
Cons
no health benefits
Provides critical supports for at-risk families within a limited area f Atlanta, Georgia
Vice President, Programs (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 18, 2015
The Center for Working Families provide an employee with the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of others.
Pros
Days are fast pace and exciting
Cons
Limited geographic footprint
Excellent work environment, great people, not enough income
Deputy Director (Current Employee) –  Schhenectady, NYJuly 24, 2015
Excellent work environment, great people, not enough income. The work done at the Center for Community Justice is critical to helping the low to moderate income people of Schenectady County.
Pros
work culture, job satisfaction
Cons
lack of money to pay adequately
Fun and Fulfilling
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 3, 2012
This was a great place to volunteer for. There is never a day that goes by where you aren't productive. You are either working with the children in the Youth Center or helping rebuild the library for the The Center's Youth Program. I've learned how to communicate with people of all ages and how to work together in group, which could be difficult at times, but was always worked out. The people at The Center are wonderful to work for. They are understanding, friendly and know how to keep and eye on everything at the same time.
Pros
friendly environment, hard work
Cons
working last minute
Started out meeting consumers needs
Director (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 27, 2013
Initially it started with productivity. Later on it became a warehouse facility that stored goods. Prior to management changes their primary focus was on consumer driven needs. Over the years they developed into meeting the states requirements on paper. Clients needs were only being met on paper. The implementation of programs designed to meet their Vocational and Day Habilitation needs.Seeing consumers advance and move forward inspite of the changes.
Pros
Working with Consumers and families
Cons
Staff not implementing plans properly
Where i gained my excellent customer Skills
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 9, 2015
I learned how to treat people with mental disabilities with the highest
dignity and respect. I learned that people with disabilities are some of the most intelligent geniuses with a disability is just as normal than the average individual.
I worked with a great fellowship/
Office Director (Former Employee) –  Palos Park, ILAugust 23, 2013
This not for profit truly worked hard for the community. When I began the budget was 600,00.00 when I resigned that year's budget was 1.4 million. There was 27 core employees and 12 preschool staff. Small in numbers but great in accomplishment. The thing I took from this job of 11 years is pride and ability to think on my feet.
Beauitful place but to much work drama
Authorization Specialist/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORAugust 21, 2015
I learned a lot about the effects of team work, and how important pulling together truly is. Without team effort, it doesn't work!!
Pros
Providers and Patients.
Cons
Cattyness and lots of drama.
Business Owner
Life Coach, Principal (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAAugust 21, 2014
I love working as a life coach and empowering people to reach their goals. Being a business owner involves so much more than the specific work you've started the business for. The learning curve to own and run a business has been steep, yet fascinating and invigorating with so much to learn.
Very friendly and fun place to work
Internship for Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAOctober 10, 2014
A typical day consisted of answering phones greeting patients letting doctors know when their patient had arrived. I also helped with practice-mate for medical billing and helped with gold/green ledgers
Pros
laid back
The GLBT Center of Central Florida
HIV Testing & Counseling Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 14, 2014
My time at The Center was incredibly beneficial in building the foundation of my future in the non-profit world. I learned a lot in my first year as a manager, especially being half the age of most of my employees. I was given a lot of opportunities to excel and be creative in finding different ways to help my local community. Although HIV wasn't a specific area of interest I found a passion for helping others among the ranks of like-minded individuals. The Center has done much in the last 5 years I've been associated with it to improve itself and its ability to help community members, like pay off old debts, start a Seniors program, and winning a grant to refurbish the 30-year-old building. Though I no longer work there in an official capacity I hold it dear to me and wish it the best so it may continue to be of service to the community.
Pros
Flexible schedule, room for creativity, autonomy, team atmosphere
Cons
Volunteers often work at their own whim

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3