The Charlotte Observer Employee Reviews in United States

23 years of working with the best
Picture Editor/Photographer/Photo Systems Editor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 27, 2014
I was able to meet people, do things, and go places, showing readers experiences they might never have the opportunity to personally enjoy. There were excellent opportunities for growth and learning with some of the best people in the business.
Pros
in the early years, we had nearly unlimited resources to explore the city, region and country.
Cons
the later decline of the newspaper business limited the range of coverage.
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 5, 2014
The Observer has been a great place to work, you are expected to be accountable and trusted to do your job, therefore no micro managing. The hours are flexible in times of family interests. The people here are very nice and cooperative. The hardest part to being in this organization is the job security. Printing is becoming a thing of the past with digital becoming a part of our normal fabric.
Pros
great people, compensation
Cons
job security
Good Place to work.
Maintenance Machinist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 6, 2014
There is not a typical day here. Things change quickly you can be working 1 part of the building one minute and another the next. I have learned that you must be able to deal with pressure from departments when they are trying to meet deadlines.
My immediate management and co-workers were great to work with. We all had a common goal. The hardest part of the job knowing that they are trying to out source there production. However the best part was the people that I worked with.
Nice Established Newspaper Company
Output Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 1, 2013
I personally enjoyed working here for 25 years. Change was always certain as technology changed for the better.
Hate that the employment ended
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 26, 2013
While it lasted the Charlotte Observer wasa great place place to work.........great benefits etc
Cons
hate that employment ended
great training experience; this job fit my lifestyle well and the company showed a good deal of concern for the workers
Assistant District Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCApril 26, 2012
GREAT work experience and I loved doing this job; I learned a great deal about assisting co-workers and customers; the management had good relationship with the contractors and everyone seemed to work together to make the job easier and more productive; the hardest part of the job was working in inclement weather, and the most enjoyable part was the freedom in working conditions and decision making; I loved being informed as to what was expected then being left alone to accomplish the goals!
Pros
i liked my co-workers and my managers.
Cons
lots of travel in all kinds of weather, but not much job security

4.6