The Children's Aid Society

The Children's Aid Society Employer Reviews

good experience working with children.
GROUP LEADER/FACILITATOR (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 28, 2014
short work day, staff is friendly and experienced, and is an overall enjoyable experience if you enjoy working with children.
productive and fun workplace
Student Aid Counselor, Dept Youth Employment (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 14, 2014
Pros: witnessing children learning
Cons: n/a
The ability to see children learn a new concept/ idea is priceless, it is really remarkable to see them grow
working with children
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 4, 2014
the most enjoyable part is seeing the smile on the children when you help them
productive
Mobile Out Reach Coach (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 11, 2013
Company is a good company. Great staff, and benefits with this company.
typical day
New York Youth Works Program Trainee (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 23, 2013
Cons: i had a week in a half break during the hurricane sandy
For new york youth program we work on reviewing the math and reading skills to see how well we are in both subjects.
Fun. Had a pool table
Clerical Intern (Former Employee), Bronx, NYOctober 17, 2013
Pros: free snacks, could listen to radio
Cons: no breaks, in a bad neighborhood
I would usually sit at the front desk and answer calls. I would file. I would decorate the place if it needed decorating. I learned how to laminate, fax and how to properly greet someone on the phone. My coworkers were easy to talk to. The hardest part of my job was filing.It wasn't really hard but it was a long process. The most enjoyable part of my – more... job was decorating. – less
Productive and efficient work place amazing staff and colleagues.
Case Aide/ Case Planner (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: free wellness sessions for overwhelmed workers, eap program
Cons: health care and under paid salaries
The Children's Aid Society is a great place to work its a great stepping stone especially when you are just coming into the field of social work. They are a challenging and very productive program they work really hard to support and strengthen their employees knowledge and make sure that they are well trained and equip to work with clients and their – more... families. I am glad I had the opportunity to be part of their team of employees – less
Fun working atmoshpere
Program Specialist/Basketball Coach (Former Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 22, 2013
Helping children with their daily activities and goals, and enjoying co-workers was essential here.
Horrible
Administrative Assitant (Former Employee), Bronx Family CenterSeptember 5, 2013
Cons: pay
I am a former employee of CAS, if you're not part of management they can careless who you are! Liars, cons, and thefts...since there's no background check they hire anyone.
Excellent organization.
Child Welfare (Current Employee), New YorkAugust 18, 2013
Pros: dedication to clients; great mission aimed at reducing poverty
Cons: pay;
Good place to work. Great benefits and wonderful mission. Been there a number of years and I have grown professionally.
Wonderful center that truly helps the community
Teacher (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 30, 2013
Pros: great community
The center is family driven, we not only work with students but we work with families as well. The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing that you are truly helping in a community in need.
Productive and fun work environment
Senior Group Leader (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJune 26, 2013
A great job for an aspiring teacher, great experience builder.
Didn't enjoy my experience with CAS Central Budget Office
Budget Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 29, 2013
Pros: great benefits, work/life balance, friendly co-workers
Cons: too politically driven, no opportunity to advance, unfriendly management
I don't know if most of the reviews here are fake - but I did not enjoy my time at CAS working with the Budget Department. My manager who is the central budget director was extremely rude and callous and barely even talked to me. She didn't give me work for about three weeks and had me sitting at my desk all day with nothing - when I asked for work – more... she outsourced me to other departments to do administrative tasks such as filing and scanning. Work I was given was not relevant to the position and when she met with me she had the audacity to tell me that she wasn't my boss. My boss and the other Senior Budget Analyst would close their door's on me, not invite me to meetings, or speak to me. When I was terminated - it was without warning and she and the general counsel were real snobby with me and told me I COULD NOT file for unemployment and I wouldn't be getting any severance. I was let go for wanting to work and do my job. I'm sorry - but I would not want my own worst enemy to be a part of this company, or maybe just the Central Budget Office.

Everyone outside of the Central Budget Office was extremely friendly and welcoming. – less
Challenging
Clinical Dental Hygienist (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 2, 2013
Challenging work, enjoy working with children in a school based setting.

Yessi – May 7, 2013

Do the teachers get all of the holyday of like spring break, midwinter break ???

High Turn Over Rate
Medical Foster Care Case Worker (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: you are compensated for travel expenses when in the field.
Cons: cons mentioned below.
A typical day at work in no particular order includes:
• Supervising family visits with foster children and their biological parents.
• Creating and/or monitoring service plans for biological parents planning for the goal of reunification with their children.
• Having several meetings such as family team conferences to address the goal of permanency – more... for foster children and to address what services have been referred to planning parents and what services they have complied with.
• Preparing Court Reports, FASPS, Permanency Hearing Reports and Reauthorization Reports in a timely manner.
• Submitting requests for Exceptional/Special Rates for children based on their specific needs.
• Making school visits to advocate for special needs children, to ensure their needs are being met and to ensure they receive the services recommended in their IEP's.
• Attending IEP meetings to monitor children's educational progress, Making home visits to foster homes as well as birth homes of planning parents on a monthly basis and assessing these homes for safety.
• Attending Court Hearings at Family Court to update the courts on cases, testify, and/or make the appropriate recommendations based on experience working directly with the families, etc.
• Keeping track of Foster Children's upcoming Medical Appointments Making sure to invite biological parents to all of their children's Medical Appointments.
• Monitoring the attendance of biological parents to their children's Medical Appointments.
• Requesting Case Aid Coverage when you cannot supervise family visits yourself
• Working with the Adoptions Unit for children who need to be adopted.
• Maintaining written records of all casework contact and collateral contact.

This job is very fast faced and can be very very stressful. It is very important to make sure to plan ahead of time in order to meet every demand in a timely manner. Also, due dates are very important to keep.The pay is $34,000.00 with a BS degree and $44,000 with a Masters degree. The caseload is heavy and the pay is not enough for the high level of stress that you will have to deal with. But, if you are just graduating and are in need of experience, this would be the perfect position for you to practice time management as well as multi tasking. It will provide you with the discipline to thrive at any other position you may obtain afterward. Also, If you are able to maintain your caseload for at least one year, many doors will open for you.

As far as work hours, this position IS NOT a 9-5 job. You will have to put in many extra hours to get the job done.

Pros:
You are compensated for Travel Expenses for Field Work.

Cons:
High stress, little pay and the turnover rate is very high because many people tend to quit. Within a year and a half of my employment, I had three different supervisors. At one point I did not have a supervisor for about 5 months. Case Workers quit just as often as Supervisors and also many Case Workers are fired due to their inability to keep up with their demanding responsibilities. – less
Shadowed Case Planners and Senior Case Manager
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 12, 2012
Shadowed Case Planners and Senior Case Manager
Conducted Group sessions with Shelter youth ages 8-12 yrs.
Excellent place to intern
Clinical Social Work Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 31, 2012
I had a brilliant and engaged supervisor. I now feel prepared and experienced enough to take on any crisis and task at my next job.
very creative place to work
Youth Development Coordinator, (Former Employee), Bronx New YorjJuly 25, 2012
Pros: were allowed to create new programs
Cons: sometime not enough time
I learned that young people when given the right support and training can do aall most anything My co-worker shared my faith concerning young people
Supportive working environment
CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKER (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 16, 2012
Pros: supportive supervision & co-workers, staff development and tuition reimbursement
Cons: large caseloads, lack of needed social services for clients, low salaries
Supportive supervision, co-workers worked as team players. Tough caseloads, complex, multiple problems with not enough services to provide consumer relief.
Commited work environment tending to the needs of youth.
Head counselor (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 7, 2012
Cons: no benefits, short breaks during summer programming
I start work at 2:20, picking up kids from a nearby community school. My co-worker and I escort 10-20 kids ranging in ages five through eleven to The Children's Aid Society After School Program. From 3-3:30, I'm engaging the youth in counselor led physical/dance fitness. After fitness each grade is divided and taken to a specific area or room. In these – more... area's and rooms the youth complete their homework, have dinner or snack, lesson/theme/project based activities, free time, computers and smart moves. The direct supervisors walk around from time to time to observe the counselors and children. They are on hand when needed in case of emergencies, incidents and or accidents. There are eight grade groups in the program and majority of the groups have 2 counselors. I am the head counselor for 24 second graders. Weekly case notes are completed and given in each month. My co-workers are high school seniors, college students, college graduates and full time parents. The hardest part of working at this job is proving how dedicated you can be and how you can change ones life. After being here over 10 years I have seen counselors come and go as well as youth. I am very dedicated and hard working. I love each child I've come in contact with as if they were mine. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to change a child's perspective on life and what it has to offer, is what keeps me going and more motivated to working with the youth. Although I have yet to step up at this job, I am truly thankful for all the years I was able to work here. All the trainings, experience and relationships I was able to gain will continue to help me grow within another agency. Going from a co-counselor to a head counselor, then becoming a dance instructor to a choreographer, and becoming a role model has been the best. And I am still watching so many youth that I've worked with at age five graduate high school and attending college. Hearing a child say thank you, seeing them smile and watching them come back to visit or work with youth like they once were, lets me know that I've done a job well done. – less