The Children's Museum of Indianapolis Employee Reviews in United States

Great experience, and Positive work environment
Database Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 26, 2015
Very positive and fun work environment. Staff are very friendly and fun, love to see the smiles on children's and families faces when visitng.
Fun and rewarding - great mission to serve and build culture of life long learning.
Director, Safety, Security and Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IndianaJanuary 27, 2015
This is an outstanding gem for children and those young at heart. The smiles of a child seeing a dinosaur bone for the first time or that of a grandparent sharing a memory of their first visit is priceless. Great place to develop career opportunities and work with great people.
Pros
great atmosphere, rewarding work, exciting and never the same routine.
Great atmosphere
Part-time Box Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 24, 2015
Good place to work if you love education and the arts. Very educational and good atmosphere, all of my co-workers were very friendly including my supervisor.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Low Pay
Absolutely loved this organization.
Organizational Development Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IndianaJanuary 24, 2015
This was the best position I have ever had in my professional path. The staff is friendly, and there is a real teamwork attitude. The benefits are exceptional and the organization as a whole is a gift to the city of Indianapolis.
good place
Part-time Box Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  indianapolisApril 26, 2015
free membership, good management but the pay is low. Great job for a student or someone that is retired. I would work there again
Pros
free membership
Cons
low pay
Fun pace to work and learn.
Box Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 20, 2014
Preparing for opening at 10:00 am
All about the different membership that the Children's Museum have to offer.
Really nice and there to help you be successful.
Hearing the child crying as they leave.
Seeing the smiles on the kids faces as the walk though.
Good "job"
Visitor Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisMay 15, 2014
The best part of my job while employed here were my coworkers. Everyone from all departments worked well together to keep this place running.
I would have stayed longer with this company if not for their lack of promotional opportunities, low pay, and micro management style.
Overall, good job but if seeking a career, look elsewhere. Extremely micro managed with poor communication between management and staff. Recognition and advancement are not measured by your skills or how well you do your job but by who you know and your ability to be a "yes" man.
Pros
good health benefits, some good perks, good coworkers
Cons
poor promotional opportunities, low pay, lack of training, micro management
Wonderful staff, wonderful place to work
Galleries and Theatres Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 16, 2014
I enjoyed my almost 13 years at the museum. I learned so many things during my tenure including managment skills, customer service skills, presentation skills, and financial skills. The best part about my job was working with the amazing staff. They were all so talented and fun to work with on a daily basis. I learned a lot from all of the different people I worked with, from staff to volunteers to the youth. I am grateful for the opportunity to have had the experience.
Fun, fresh educational environment
Gallery Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 20, 2013
Interesting place to work, meet lots of different people, but can be challenging to work with the public on a daily basis.
Can be very rewarding to work with different children everyday though and watch their faces light up with excitement as they learn or discover something new.
Exemplary professional development experiences offered from the museum HR department for all employees.
Pay is not necessarily worth the work...They ask a lot of part time employees and don't treat them with the same respect they do with others employees.
Pros
professional development opportunities, exciting behind-the-scenes opportunities, interesting culture
Cons
barely paid for the amount of work/level of difficulty for pt employees
Productive and interesting place
Visitor Services and Second Shift Security (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 20, 2014
A typical day would start by going to the security check-in to see what locations I will be working at for the day. The museum has a rotating schedule, so no one person working visitor services will be at the same spot for eight hours. Once the day shift is over, the night shift would include a rotating floor check of all the floors in the museum. I would say the my co-workers were really fun to work with, and the management was easy to talk to and confide in.

I would have to say there really wasn't any aspect of working for the museum that I would consider "hard". The most enjoyable part of working for the museum was seeing all the new exhibits coming in, and seeing artifacts I would never have dreamed I would get to see.
Pros
different work place every day, seeing new exhibits be constructed
Cons
lots of walking
Work Place
Visitor Services/ Security (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 9, 2014
It's a great place to work if you don't need a set schedule. My managers were ok although they could be more understanding and treat every one equally full time or not. The visitors are great and my co-workers are great.

4.3