The Children's Village Employee Reviews

productive, manageable
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee), new york, new yorkAugust 25, 2015
Pros: paid vacation, sick hours, time flexibility, health care etc.
Cons: commuting
my experience at polo ground was great. the kids where full of vibrate energy and the staff was productive and focus. the hardest part was the commute.the most enjoyable part beside the kids was the training because I personally learned a lot about the company and the severed they provide for youth.
Great first job out of college
Enhanced Wraparound Resource Caseworker (Current Employee), Dobbs Ferry, NYAugust 25, 2015
There's room for growth and plenty of opportunities to learn. The agency provides a lot of training and tuition assistance/scholarships.
N/A
ASSISTANT COORDINATOR (Current Employee), Dobbs Ferry, NYAugust 8, 2015
It"s rewarding to see the challenges being accomplished. A government funded environment towards the well being of misplaced children.
High volume of Rampant Nepotism practice, Hostility and Animosity
Youth Specialist (Former Employee), dobbs ferry, new yorkJuly 16, 2015
Pros: The work, although challenging at times, is very gratifying because it is ultimately benefiting young adults, their children, and their futures.
Cons: Long hours (sixteen hours straight double mandated shifts) with short breaks
Staff works sixteen hours in a double "mandated" overnight shift and during their shift only receive two 1/2 hour breaks. Lack of support from supervisors and management.
HR Department
Human Resources Temporary Employee (Former Employee), Dobbs Ferry, NYJune 22, 2015
I temped for the summer at Children's Village. I did not enjoy my time there. They need you one day and they let you go the next.
Fun place to work and Grow
Youth Counselor (Current Employee), Dobbs Ferry, NYJune 2, 2015
This company is a great place to work, very uplifting moral...the kids are a challenge, but the change in them is worth. Co- workers are team players, management is efficient.
A job where children are cared for following ORR guidelines and regulations.
Youth Specialist (Current Employee), Dbbs Ferry nyApril 8, 2015
Pros: You eat when the children eat.
At the children's village you become part of a family like unit were you work together for the wellness and care of children in need. As a youth specialist I learned to work with my peers closely to move as a powerful unit.
Great experience working with different cultures.
Youth Specialist (Current Employee), Dobbs Ferry, NYMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Schedule is flexible if you have school or other things to attend.
Cons: Benefits are very expensive.
A typical day at work would be waking up the residents and following the schedule. I learned many things from the residents. The residents come from different countries and towns. My co-workers are great, we all enjoy working with the kids. The most difficult part is when a resident sees another resident being discharged from the program, other residents start getting mixed emotions because they also want to leave. This also affects the kids behavior. The most enjoyable part of the job is spending time with the residents, they learn so much from us as we do from the kids.
Good environment
Waver Services Provider crisis clinician (Current Employee), Dobbs Ferry, NYMarch 11, 2015
Good agency. I am yet to know more about this agency. So far, the job is good and the environment appears to be right. I currently work foo campus and in the community. My supervisor is great and I have to make my own schedule.
Productive, large cultural diversity, and family oriented
Socio-therapist (Direct Care Specialist) (Former Employee), Dobbs Ferry , NYFebruary 6, 2015
Typically a full day of work would be to become a positive role model and/or giving positive reinforcements to youths of the ages 13-17 years old. I learned to dedicate myself and be very consistent when entering into the lives of youth and their families. I also learned to work both independtly and as a team.
Management displayed great leadership to myself and my coworkers. I have gotten constructive critisim in this time to learn and grow within myself and in the business field.
The hardest part of the job was departing from the agency when it was time to relocate.
I enjoyed every second of learnig and being able to make a positive change in the lives of each individual the agency serviced.
gained alot of knowledge
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee), Bronx, NYFebruary 3, 2015
great team culture. all of the higher officials are very welcoming and caring. once stepping through the door everyone is very nice and considering. no problems or complaints since being employed there.
youth staff
Immigration Program Staff (Former Employee), Dobbs Ferry, NYJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: looks good on resume
Cons: bad pay bad benefits
Terrible pay, bad benefits, bad management, HR doesn't care about its employees worst company I ever worked.
wonderful experience
Caseworker I (Former Employee), Bronx, NYDecember 2, 2014
case working was very demanding and had much responsibilities but they were fulfilling ones. doing this job I knew I was helping out families, and parents reunite. although very demanding at times I knew that it was worth it and the end goal of reunification was a priceless one.
horrible place to work
Social Worker (Former Employee), Dobbs FerryOctober 21, 2014
Pros: agency car when available
Cons: low pay, unappreciated, over worked
Workers are unappreciated and low paid. They keep adding more work to what you have to do but do not provide assistance or any help.
I felt as if I could never fulfill the job I was hired to do because i was always asked to assist the caseworkers.
Parent Advocate (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 1, 2014
Pros: the dedication of direct workers to the families.
Cons: under paid, over worked and the fear of being let go at anytime.
I don't feel I received any support from management in my work as a Parent Advocate.Never received proper or consistent supervision.
my first job out of college
Assistant teacher (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, GAJune 6, 2014
I learned alot in this position and am greatful for the lessons I learned
Fun but Challenging
Direct Care (Current Employee), Dobbs Ferry, NYJune 5, 2014
Pros: lots of ot
Cons: challneging residents
Great place to grow but a challenging job. Management is OK. Co workers are fun.
Non-Secure Detention Facility
Social Worker - Family Court Assistance Program (Current Employee), Dobbs Ferry, NYApril 23, 2014
My job entails meeting with the residents on a weekly basis, and keeping up with their paperwork. I have learned how to be a team player and to work for the good of the child. Some days are difficult, but the satisfaction of keeping adolescents safe and helping provide for their needs is worth it.
Don't recommend it
MST Therapist (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 30, 2014
Pros: somewhat flexible schedule
Cons: poor and abusive management
A typical day is home visits to clients, plus maybe a meeting a couple times a week with staff/supervisors.

I learned about MST family therapy, and how to do family therapy with youth offenders and their families.

A plus is that the agency offers pretty extensive training.

Management is pretty darn bad. Abusive, insensitive and vindictive at times. No union, so favoritism is the rule of the day. Don't expect to be treated fairly or with professionalism.

You may luck out and get a good supervisor, but upper management is horrendous.

The agency culture is pretty insensitive too.
At the agency "holiday party", workers were given a gift bag to take home. Guess what was inside? Christmas ornaments! (talk about not politically correct...has this social service NYC agency not gotten the memo that not every New Yorker is Christian or celebrates Christmas? It would be laughable if it wasn't so disheartening.)

Hardest part of the job was dealing with management, and home visits can be difficult at times, depending on the families.

Most enjoyable part of the job is that you can to some extent set a flexible schedule for yourself, which is nice. (schedule home visits as is convenient for you and the families you work with).

Compensation wasn't terrible, about average for someone with a degree - not great.

Job Work/Life Balance isn't great because you are doing home visits to all your clients, all over the city, plus attending meetings for the agency.
Of course the flexible schedule, again, is a plus for work/life balance though.
Great individual growth
RESIDENTIAL WORKER (Former Employee), Dobbs Ferry, NYMarch 17, 2014
Pros: the ability to work with children being able to change lives.
Cons: n/a
This job was challenging. on account of learning new protocols and service training under OFFICE OF CHILD SERVICES. I enjoy working with youth and is inspired to influence change.