The Children's Village Employee Reviews in United States

An experience
Lead Toddler Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, GANovember 30, 2015
I had recently graduated college with a Bachelors degree and landed this job that paid $9 an hour. I was in charge of a classroom of 12-13 toddlers (1-2 year olds) along with 2 other assistant teachers. I learned that they made either a $1 less or $2 less than I did. It was a lot of work for a little bit of money. It was nice being able to teach children and help them reach their milestones, but by the end of the day I was exhausted. Most of the time they would ask me to stay later to close and clean up the classroom and when I asked about a raise they said I would have to work there for about a year to receive one. No benefits and no paid holidays. Well, actually the only benefit I know of is you get a discount if your kid goes there.
Great Place to Start
Bi-lingual Family Support Caseworker I (Former Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYApril 21, 2016
This is a great place to start a career but nota long term solution to your career aspect. I started off in Juvenile Detention and then moved on to Caseworker and stayed on for a long time. It was a hard job but I learned alot of what child welfare was and it is really hard to haer some of the stories that the children I worked with went through. I have been to family court and spoken in in family court. It is a hard job. Not easy but you have to have the heart and the strength to do it. Especially going into other peoples homes, you never know what your going to get.
Pros
Great Place to start career
Cons
Not a long term place to continue working
One Day Your In The Next Day Your Out.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYJanuary 17, 2016
I was hired in 2013 and was doing well. I liked the job, until I got a new supervisor who disliked everyone. She would give everyone disparaging nicknames to belittle them. I asked for vacation and of a week and was denied even though someone who worked there less than me was granted their week off. Treat their employees as dispensable.
Pros
Cons
Supervisor, Benefits, Vacation
I make home visits, resource visits, community visits, team meetings, incident review board meeting
Bilingual Parent Advocate II (Current Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYSeptember 16, 2015
I have learned to be more patient with others as they learn to make changes in their lives. I have also learned not to put my expectations on others. Management here is easy to talk to. I actually have a unique and awesome relationship with the CEO and CPO as well as my supervisor. The hardest part of my job is 1. Working with a parent after their rights have been teerminated and also having to not judge a parent that refuses to take their child out of the system. I enjoy being able to engage fammilies in their time of need and be able to assist them, relate to them and cry with them, laugh and celebrate when it's warranted.
Pros
I enjoy supporting families in the reunification process and helping them to become self advocates.
Cons
Incuficient resources, conflict with clinical staff, moving up.
High volume of Rampant Nepotism practice, Hostility and Animosity
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  dobbs ferry, new yorkJuly 16, 2015
Staff works sixteen hours in a double "mandated" overnight shift and during their shift only receive two 1/2 hour breaks. Lack of support from supervisors and management.
Pros
The work, although challenging at times, is very gratifying because it is ultimately benefiting young adults, their children, and their futures.
Cons
Long hours (sixteen hours straight double mandated shifts) with short breaks
Childrens Village
Soc (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2016
You are treated poorly at the job. New employee are most welcome when family and friends are working at the site. Do not have intention to work there anymore
Pros
N/A
Cons
Poor management and communication
Amazing experience
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDSeptember 15, 2015
Children's Village was an incredible institution. It has saved and improved the lives of thousands of children. Recently C.V.'s directors and board members have decided to take the company in a new direction. This included laying off one of their Agency Directors of 23 years. I feel the current Directors are incompetent.
Pros
Bonding between children and cowrkers
Cons
Current poor management, no breaks
Great JOB
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYFebruary 22, 2016
This was my first job in Puerto Rico if give me the strength to grow as a secretary. I'm always been good at customer service but dealing with people face to face teach me how to treat the customer better.
I loved working at CV until management changed.
Case Aide 2 (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2015
In joining the team at CV I became employee of the year in 2013 and runner up by missing one point in 2014. In 2015 there was a change in management and the job I loved, I no longer loved. I was the go to person if a co-worker wanted a task completed by deadline or just to problem solve an issue.
Pros
Gift cards and team building outings
Cons
Healthcare and management
productive & fun life changing
Socio-therapist (Current Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYFebruary 16, 2016
great fun and enjoying working with children and making a different . helping trouble children , teacher them new concept on a daily basis. being a mentor.

Want to know more about The Children's Village?

Ask a question
Busy and informative
Technology Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYSeptember 22, 2015
Typical day starts with making sure all systems are up and running at 100%. Check all PCs for current software updates (using Shavlik).

Monitor VMWare environment, Citrix farm and networking (Cisco) equipment via SpiceWorks network monitoring and Whats up gold.

Help oversee the HelpDesk staff and assist as the 3rd level of support.

Being part of a 6 person team supporting 1000+ users works to my advantage. I love being in a fast paced environment and learning as I go.

10+ years at the Children's Village has been very rewarding. I started as a Help Desk tech level 1 and worked my way up to Technology Support Specialist (working under the Director of IT).
Pros
Busy. New technology- allows me to learn.
Cons
Some days have the understaff feeling.
Culture could have been better, therapists don't last
MST Bilingual Therapist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2012
Supervisors in the MST program are not as qualified (one with bachelor not in a mental health field but in dance from a foreign country) as the workers who are master's level therapist. Favoritism is the culture, small-talks, and incompetencies are rewarded with promotions. The manager of the program is kept from knowing of the positive day-to day activities, which are manipulated negatively to target a therapist on the supervisor's secret "firing list." Personel Department does not investigate, therefore there is no job security.
Very unfair targeting practice, too much work for 24 hours, no professional support from supervisors.
Pros
mst is a proven successful program, love it!
Cons
supervisors are paranoid, and incompetent.
Punitive, Mediocre, Exploitative and Disrespectful Culture
MST Therapist (Former Employee) –  Queens Reporting to New York City OfficeJanuary 14, 2013
This non-profit agency could have been a nice place to work, if the program director was overseeing his supervisors in the Manhattan office. Management does not reflect its minority clientele, or therapists. These supervisors are incompetent, and as a result, they are unable to offer much support to the MST therapists. In addition, the load of cases that is assigned, amount of paperwork "SOAPS," field-work-hours 24/7 which extend to late night hours, week-ends, and holidays, low salary of $44,000.00, are all contributing factors to the high turn over ratio. MST, as an independent program is seen as exploiting its clientele and therapists in New York, they should investigate in order for a change.
Pros
access to company's car for field work
Cons
supervisors' methods of favoritism, and incompetency
Great staff
Aquatic Director and Recreational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYDecember 6, 2015
The coordinators and supervisors were great to work with in the Lanza Activities Center. The communication within the agency is poor.
Great experience working with different cultures.
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYMarch 25, 2015
A typical day at work would be waking up the residents and following the schedule. I learned many things from the residents. The residents come from different countries and towns. My co-workers are great, we all enjoy working with the kids. The most difficult part is when a resident sees another resident being discharged from the program, other residents start getting mixed emotions because they also want to leave. This also affects the kids behavior. The most enjoyable part of the job is spending time with the residents, they learn so much from us as we do from the kids.
Pros
Schedule is flexible if you have school or other things to attend.
Cons
Benefits are very expensive.
Productive, large cultural diversity, and family oriented
Socio-therapist (Direct Care Specialist) (Former Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry , NYFebruary 6, 2015
Typically a full day of work would be to become a positive role model and/or giving positive reinforcements to youths of the ages 13-17 years old. I learned to dedicate myself and be very consistent when entering into the lives of youth and their families. I also learned to work both independtly and as a team.
Management displayed great leadership to myself and my coworkers. I have gotten constructive critisim in this time to learn and grow within myself and in the business field.
The hardest part of the job was departing from the agency when it was time to relocate.
I enjoyed every second of learnig and being able to make a positive change in the lives of each individual the agency serviced.
Management lacked guidance skills
Employment Service Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMay 1, 2012
Typical day consisted of working with clients, conducting workshops, developing jobs for clients in the field.
Learned not to always say what is on your mind. Management lacked training and professionalism and was not trust-worthy. Co-workers were some of the best I ever worked with. Excellent team work from most staff. Hardest part of job was inconsistent processes and procedures. The most enjoyable having an agency car available for field work.
Pros
agency car
Cons
favoritism, low pay, mediocre benefits
Every moment was a teaching moment
R.H.Y.S. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYAugust 19, 2013
My overall experience while working for The Children's Village was fundamental. Each day was original, I could always look forward to a different type of experience upon each shift. The culture of the shelter was warm and diverse. Management was professional and fair. The thing I enjoyed the most about working for this organization was being able to interact with the youth that we served. It was rewarding to know that I made a difference in everyone's life.
productive, manageable
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  new york, new yorkAugust 25, 2015
my experience at polo ground was great. the kids where full of vibrate energy and the staff was productive and focus. the hardest part was the commute.the most enjoyable part beside the kids was the training because I personally learned a lot about the company and the severed they provide for youth.
Pros
paid vacation, sick hours, time flexibility, health care etc.
Cons
commuting
Great first job out of college
Enhanced Wraparound Resource Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYAugust 25, 2015
There's room for growth and plenty of opportunities to learn. The agency provides a lot of training and tuition assistance/scholarships.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Children's Village. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7