The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Employee Reviews

Not a typical work environment, but well worth the time.
Emergency Preparedness and Response Director (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 15, 2016
Everything done within the LDS Church is on a volunteer basis, much like those involved with VOAD. Through this experience, I have been able to start a program from the ground up. The main challenges have been getting individuals to think more proactively about preparations and possible recovery/response situations.
Pros
Great people and environment.
Cons
Lack of book-knowledge in this area.
The Best Thing to Do
Missionary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 25, 2016
A mission isn't a job. It is dedication to trying to help people. Similar to customer service jobs though, we dealt with angry people, we tried to help others as best we could and we reported how things went every other day to our leaders. Co-workers were awesome and friendly, management worked with you and you learned every day. The hardest part of the job was going out and knocking on doors. The most enjoyable was talking to people who were interested. I learned out there how important it is to love others and treat them with respect.
Pros
They take care of you
Cons
You do this all the time
Fun, challenging and overall great experiences
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CASeptember 23, 2016
My day started with typing up and reports that needed to be documented. I learned how to be proficient in typing and answering calls. I did not exactly have management as it was a church but I did follow the instructions that were given to me by the Bishop. I didn't have many co wokers as this was a service job I rarely got to interact with co workers, however I did interact more with the public.
Productive Day, fun workplace.
Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt lake city UtahSeptember 15, 2016
I learned how to work with people from different cultures.
Very busy, and worked 80 hours a week.
Management were very Honest people, including my co workers who were very supportive and assisting.The hardest part of my Job was controlling emotions and public speaking.

What i enjoyed the most was to see the satisfaction that comes from those whom i helped.
Pros
self lunch
Cons
flexible when needed, but preferred 8 hours a day
worthwhile endeavor to volunteer
Volunteer Representative (Former Employee) –  SofiaAugust 4, 2016
Going to Bulgaria was an amazing experience and taught me so many things. My eyes have been opened to a broader spectrum. Even still, it's the people that I came to love the most. We worked every day with as few as ten people per day and as many as probably one hundred on average, though we never really counted one by one. I learned that it can be hard to deal with new circumstances and people every six weeks, but it is also quite rewarding.

This was also a self-supporting volunteer opportunity.
Pros
serving others daily, being outside in a different country, learning about new people and culture every day, sharing personal experiences, beliefs, thoughts and feelings
Cons
sometimes severe weather
Great for Stay at Home Moms
Custodian in Special Projects Department (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 18, 2016
The night shifts work very well for moms who don't want to disrupt their children's schedules. The processes and training are great here, there is a specific way to accomplish all the tasks, which help to keep everyone on the same page in all of our buildings. The only thing I dislike is the fact that a part time employee may not request days off unless they are earned over a period of time. This makes it difficult to get family time off. I would do a few things differently as a Supervisor in this job to help with moral. Right now there are people so unhappy, they either call in or not show up. Your people are very important. If you don't take care of them, you have no one.
Pros
Great night shift schedule for stay at home moms
Cons
Time off allowed
Committed people to the Gospel of Jesus Christ
Missionary Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mexico CityJuly 21, 2016
Working in this capacity is an honor for members of the Church. While really a 7/24 job it is amazing to work with so many wonderful young people. They come from all different places and different walks of life. They are not allowed to call their parents or family members but twice a year. My husband and I were responsible for their health and well being for their 18 months or 24 months that they were with us. It is a strenuous and intense experience
Pros
Blessings from heaven
Cons
An environment to learn and grow
Full Time Missionary (Former Employee) –  Santiago ChileJuly 8, 2016
The time I spent as a full time missionary changed my life and helped me to learn the importance of dedication, diligence, and Leadership.

Everyday was something different because what we did involved talking with people in the streets and their homes.

The hardest part of the job was facing rejection; however, it helped me to understand and identify true interest and how to maintain a positive out look.

The part that I enjoyed more than any other of my time was the interaction with people and helping them to see what we offered as something beneficial to them.
Pros
Service
Many Opportunities
Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 20, 2016
I have had the opportunity to work in many positions over the last 40 years and I'm fortunate that I have enjoyed every job I have ever had. Mostly I enjoyed being in charge, (managing) and creative thinking. I've had hundreds of challenges and successes in my carrier. Retired last year, and I'm feeling l need something more.
I need something to do that will keep me active and/or around people.
Pros
I had the opportunity to run my own companies.
Cons
The company does not give very generous vacation hours.
amazing growing experience
Missionary (Former Employee) –  AsunciónSeptember 6, 2016
it was an amazing opportunity for me to not only grow as an individual but t help others grow as well spiritually. I would do it again in a heartbeat, we as missionaries were not paid, it is a voluntary thing that we choose to do. there is no monetary compensation, but there is a huge satisfaction in helping people come closer to God.
Great work environment
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Riverton, UTJuly 12, 2016
Using a flavor of agile principles teams are organized by application and work on sprints to deliver enhancements or new functionality. Business partners work closely with the development teams and project managers to ensure software meets the business needs.

Great teams, talented developers, excellent work life balance.
The greatest experience ever
Fulltime Missionary (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, El SalvadorJune 25, 2016
This isn't a job where we get paid, it's volunteer work to help others where we are specifically needed to be to persistently share a message that helps gain people's faith and hope. Service is done 24/7 while on work and studying of the materials given are what we do to understand the teachings that are given to others.
Pros
Experience
2 year service mission
Volunteer Missionary (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDMay 16, 2016
this was a 2 year service mission. A typical day consisted of teaching people about what I believe. I learned how to teach in an effective manner. There wasn't really any management. Loved everyone i worked with. Hardest part was trying to find new people to teach and the most enjoyable part was meeting new people and learning about them.
Pros
Being outside everyday
Cons
not being able to find people to teach.
Amazing experience
Missionary Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVMay 3, 2016
we would start our morning where we would study for two hours, then we would go out and talk and serve people teaching them about what we believe, for two years.
All around I had a good experience. Management was awesome the hard part was sometimes just not having any success during the day. The most enjoyable to was meeting and talking to so many different people in the Northern Nevada.
Pros
Talking to People, and meeting and making so many Friends
Cons
The Rejections
Food Production is great and fun to work at.
Return Missionary (Former Employee) –  Maryland City, MDAugust 6, 2016
I am available to work from 4am-12:30pm and sometimes it would be during the afternoon and 7:00pm-3:00am. I enjoy getting to know all my co-workers and I'm willing to help to get the work progress faster as we all work together.
Pros
Free Lunch and get benefits
Cons
short break hours
I got to live in Jamaica and the Bahamas and tell people I love about a message that I loved.
Missionary (Former Employee) –  May Pen, JamaicaAugust 22, 2016
I'm going to be completely honest, if I could do this again I would. Just to let people know this isn't actually a job it was volunteer work for my church. So don't get any ideas.
Pros
Learned how to budget
Cons
Had to leave eventually
Incredible, life changing experience of preparation
Ecclesiastical minister- Missionary (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 18, 2016
I loved my time that I spent as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I learned so many amazing life skills and feel far more prepared to face life challenges based on all I learned as a missionary. My service was 100% voluntary and I received no financial compensation for my 2 years of service (in fact, I paid to be on the mission), but I feel the investment of time was worth more than any amount of money could have replaced.
MIssionary
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Lindon, UTJuly 28, 2016
There is no greater opportunity to learn and grow in this very rewarding calling. Everyday you are out there doing service to anyone who needs it, translating, learning for about yourself, your abilities, and strengthening your weaknesses. This is just beyond rewarding.
None profit church volunteer work.
Young Men President (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 26, 2016
I get to teach an eager group of young menages 12 through 18, I and two other counselors, counsel the youth. We make fund activities for the youth, and prepare classes for the young men every Sunday.
Pros
Get teach the future of the church.
Cons
It is tough to deal with teens
I am a member of the LDS where I have learned discipline and values.
Teacher's Quorum Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 8, 2016
The LDS church is a religious organization. I do not received monetary compensation in my volunteer jobs or callings. But learned service to the community. And learned about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We don't have a CEO but a Bishop.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Our community is ready to answer.

4.8