The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Employee Reviews in United States

Structured work environment. Most of the work was done on integrity and not micromanaged.
Missionary (Former Employee) –  LondonMarch 30, 2016
On a typical day I would walk around and would talk to a variety of people from all different cultures and backgrounds. When talking to these people I would have to answer various questions that they had and respond to concerns that they had. It helped me to develope my communication skills and my ability to communicate with various cultures without offending them. The most enjoyable part for me became the people that I talked to. I really enjoyed getting to talk to people and see what they thought about the things I was speaking of and challenging myself to answer the questions that everyone had.
over all a good company
coutodial (Former Employee) –  SLC, UTMarch 1, 2016
its good gob but
poor management and no advancement
and poor pay
I like doing my job I do not like my lead
I do not like management the way do thimg
Volunteered for service for two years with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Family and Church History Headquarters Missionary (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 10, 2016
Working at the Family History Center was quite interesting. Usually, I needed to go through obituaries. I had to help a church employee with U.S. records and International Records. I learned how to use Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access to remove any possible duplicates found on the records waiting to be published online. There was really great management. The people in charge expected so much for us to accomplish. My co-workers and I would usually finish any assignment that was given to us, and we were quick to finish it. I got along fine with my co-workers, despite our differences. As time passed, my co-workers became my friends whom I could trust. The hardest part was trying to be on time. We usually needed to arrive at before 7:30. Usually I would get there on time. I was late four times in the space of two years. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the senior workers. I always remember them telling different stories about their lives.
Pros
Lunch Breaks, Water Breaks, etc.
Cons
Dealing with impatient patrons
Very productive
Missionary (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, ILFebruary 9, 2016
Typical work day included daily planing for meeting in that day, driving and a lot of walking. Meeting strangers and talking with people we had visited before. And making follow up appointments.
Learned a lot about time management, and maintaining appointment books. co workers were helpful and friendly.
Hardest part was getting the hang of how things were done but you catch on pretty fast.
Great company to work for
Supervisor III (Current Employee) –  SLC, UTSeptember 2, 2015
The LDS Church is a great company to work for. Good balance between home and work life. Challenging environment to improve processes and procedure and gain efficiencies in work.
Pros
Excellent benefits/retirement
Cons
Not enough opportunity for growth in management
Work Summary
Missionary-Washington D.C. North Mission (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 4, 2016
As a missionary I worked a long side many other faiths to better the community as well as provide many hours of community service. I developed better as a person as I grew to favor hard work, service and teaching people from many different backgrounds, faiths, cultures, and environments.
Very hard work with great benefits
Zone Leader (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 19, 2015
I worked basically all day every day as a full time missionary, and as a zone leader. I trained, supervised, and coordinated the work for about 20-30 other missionaries at any given time. I also received training from higher management and taught it to those who I led.

It was extremely fun, and stressful, but so worth it.
Pros
Free dinners, great spiritual boost, and lots of fun and good friendships
Cons
Very stressful, strict rules, and no time for yourself
Great Workplace with awesome co-workers
Missionary (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 23, 2016
A typical day of work is a 16 hour work day. Most of it is spent on your feet talking to people, and helping them become better people. I've learned a lot about myself as a person, how to be a better person myself.

*was an occupation that I paid to work at. Service opportunity
Pros
Great work, Awesome people
Demanding and very rewarding
Missionary (Former Employee) –  LondonMarch 14, 2016
This volunteer service taught me time management, how to deal with stress, quick and effective decision making, and responsibility. I learned effective communication skills and learned how to teach to the needs of others.
Incredible, life changing experience of preparation
Ecclesiastical minister- Missionary (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 18, 2016
I loved my time that I spent as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I learned so many amazing life skills and feel far more prepared to face life challenges based on all I learned as a missionary. My service was 100% voluntary and I received no financial compensation for my 2 years of service (in fact, I paid to be on the mission), but I feel the investment of time was worth more than any amount of money could have replaced.
Many Opportunities
Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 20, 2016
I have had the opportunity to work in many positions over the last 40 years and I'm fortunate that I have enjoyed every job I have ever had. Mostly I enjoyed being in charge, (managing) and creative thinking. I've had hundreds of challenges and successes in my carrier. Retired last year, and I'm feeling l need something more.
I need something to do that will keep me active and/or around people.
Pros
I had the opportunity to run my own companies.
Cons
The company does not give very generous vacation hours.
Amazing experience
Missionary Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVMay 3, 2016
we would start our morning where we would study for two hours, then we would go out and talk and serve people teaching them about what we believe, for two years.
All around I had a good experience. Management was awesome the hard part was sometimes just not having any success during the day. The most enjoyable to was meeting and talking to so many different people in the Northern Nevada.
Pros
Talking to People, and meeting and making so many Friends
Cons
The Rejections
The most enjoyable part of the job
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bountiful, UTDecember 5, 2015
I was able to help other people learn new skills, being able to work on leadership skills, communicating with co workers, and working as a team to reach our daily goals.
Pros
great management, co worker relationships, enjoyable work.
Cons
N/A
2 year service mission
Volunteer Missionary (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDMay 16, 2016
this was a 2 year service mission. A typical day consisted of teaching people about what I believe. I learned how to teach in an effective manner. There wasn't really any management. Loved everyone i worked with. Hardest part was trying to find new people to teach and the most enjoyable part was meeting new people and learning about them.
Pros
Being outside everyday
Cons
not being able to find people to teach.
Full time position teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ
Full time mission (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZDecember 9, 2015
This service opportunity was one of the greatest learning opportunities I have ever had. Every aspect of our job required us to step outside of our comfort zone as we interacted with others. A normal day was waking up at 6:30 am to study until about 11. Then we proselyted full time or did community service projects until 9 pm with a one hour dinner break. It was difficult maintaining this schedule with no break or vacation for 2 years but it was so rewarding. The greatest part of the work was seeing peoples lives change for the better.
Pros
learning to get outside yourself and thing about the needs of others
Cons
no vacations, impolite people
Translator
American Sign Language Translator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 15, 2016
My job to translator American Sign Language from English in video.

I have learned how to translator and preparing to sign before record the video.

The co-worker as all is contract workers that give a lot perspective with what is best way to sign.

The hardest part is to have too many coach contract.

Most enjoyable is to with co worker and opening mind to discussing about the right way to sign.
Pros
pay well contract.
Cons
No full time job offer.
Being a Missionary was the best time of my life
Missionary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2016
As a missionary I was able to discover who I really am. I lived a very strict schedule. We would wake up at 6:30 am every day to work out for one hour. Then we would get ready to study at 8:00 am for 3 hours. then we would go out not to come back until 9:00 pm. I was such an amazing experience. My favorite part was to meet people from all over to world and from all different religions. It was the hardest thing I have ever done and also the most rewarding. I served for 2 years with no pay. I actually paid to be there and I do not regret that decision.
i was a full time missionary, as a member of the church i voluneered to serve a two year non-paid mission
Missionary Trainer (Former Employee) –  LouisianaMarch 4, 2016
its amazing, its hard work , but nothing is more rewarding in this life. ive learn so much being a missionary. basically i share my beliefs with others inviting them to act on there faith in Jesus Christ and to see if the Restored Gospel is true.
Pros
it brings you closer to God, put things into perspective. greater peace
Cons
its only lasts for two years.
Missionary
Missionary Volunteer Service (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 7, 2016
I was a missionary for 2 years for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. There was no commission or salary pay.
Productive and safe environment. Enjoyable coworkers and work.
Grounds Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 6, 2016
While working for The LDS Grounds Crew I developed a true sense of teamwork and attention to detail. I was trained in the operation of carriage carts along with the operation of 40 and 60 foot aerial lifts. The daily routine was to walk the grounds and do a general check of garbage and facility upkeep. Then moving onto dead heading and cultivation of assigned flower bed. The rest of the day usually consisted of dressing the tree with christmas lights in preparation for winter.
Pros
Friendly work environment, team involved work
Cons
on latter up to 4 hour+ during the day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Our community is ready to answer.

4.8