The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Employee Reviews

Productive, Positive, Progression,Diligence, Spiritual,Disciplined, Teacher Testimony Building, Many Friendships.
LDS Missionary (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 4, 2015
As a Missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, I had never experienced anything such like serving as a full time missionary before. Serving a Mission was the hardest thing I have ever LOVED doing. It has benefited my life for the best, I think about it daily. Every single day I learned great discipline, Love for the gospel of Jesus Christ and for every single one of his children here on this earth. My conversion to Christ has become strengthened! While on my mission, I taught people every single day about Christ and His infinite Atonement, I helped them find their very own relationship with God and His son Jesus Christ! I got to see these people change from the inside out. Some days we would go from door to door trying to find more people to teach regardless if they had already heard some of the things that we have taught before, I know that they needed to hear more of it and how they could have their families for eternity! I was able to spread the happiest message of them all, letting them know that the Savior of the world Lives, and he has called a living Prophet and 12 Apostles to spread this glad tiding! There wasn't a day for those 18 months, that I didn't go outside and walk miles, talk to hundreds of people, just to find that one person that would let us in their door to listen and become converted. I am so grateful for this experience, it gives me daily progression and positive change in my life. I will use everything I learned from this experience daily and forever remember that I am a representative of Jesus Christ and a member of His church  more... here on the earth.  less
Pros
Hard work, Discipline, Personality growth, and a Love for positive change
Cons
Nothing. I do not regret one day of my mission.
enjoyable, Best 2 years of my life, We had been led by inspired and sober leaders
Missionary (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 6, 2015
In a typical day we would wake up 620 am and work out, 7-8 prep for the day and eat breakfast. 8-10 am study: The Book of Mormon, Bible and prep for that days lessons. 11 am lunch. 12-9 pm Appointments for the day, proselyting and dinner. 9-930 daily accountability. 930-1030 prep for bed and retire to bed.

I learned a lot on how to effectively work with others in a wide variety of situations. I learned how to work with the same person 24/7 on a 6-12 week time line.

Management was great non of them had been payed all volunteer. I served in some of the leadership. truly a humbling experience. It took prayer, attention to detail and getting to know the people I was serving in a way I could better help them.

My co-workers where great we where all there for the same purpose and, same goal's in mind and willing to help each other in our different areas and situations. This we did on a small scale once a week. on a medium scale once a month and on a larger scale once every quarter.

The hardest part was helping others act on things they professed to believe.

The most enjoyable part was to see others begin to understand what it was we had been teaching and being acting on things they new to be true.
Pros
It is somthing I love and belive in.
Cons
I was only able to serve for 2 years
Meaningful service and teaching opportunities, providing spiritual, mental, and emotional growth
Full-Time Missionary (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 12, 2015
During my time as a volunteer missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I learned many skills. These skills include, but are not limited to, scheduling, planning, organizing, teaching, leadership, team-building, and training. Though I was not paid, I definitely did a LOT of hard work. Each day of work (7 days a week) began at 6:30am with a rigorous schedule of exercise, planning, practice teaching, and studying for 3.5 hours. The rest of the day until 10:30pm was filled with teaching, door-to-door contacting, service (raking leaves, moving furniture, cleaning, etc.), training meetings, and other meaningful activities and appointments. The hardest part of this experience was that it was physically taxing. It was amazing and made me so happy, but it made me so tired every day. The most enjoyable thing was getting to talk to all sorts of people, help them with whatever they needed, and provide them messages of hope and comfort during difficult times.
Pros
Different people every day, varied schedules activities, self planned, emotionally satisfying
Cons
No cons
Excellent and varied opportunities to serve among individuals in communities around the world.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  USA, Australia, United Kingdom, and IrelandMarch 18, 2013
My volunteer service first took me to San Francisco, California where I worked with families providing spiritual teachings and community connections, mainly working with the Latino populations. In my service in Australia worked in records preservation, digitizing, organizing, gathering and shipping recorded data for genealogical research. I also participated in teaching English as a secondary language. In Utah assisted individuals in doing genealogical research and in organizing and entering data of records. In Scotland my services were similar to those in Australia and in Ireland they were similar to those in California. In England provided one-on-one and group service in caring for and meeting the needs of patrons in a spiritual setting. The greatest joy and sometimes challenge was working with people with various needs and situations. It's service to the individual that counts.
Pros
giving service, working with individuals and living in a variety of areas
Cons
personal expense and long periods of time away from family at home
Volunteered for service for two years with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Family and Church History Headquarters Missionary (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 10, 2016
Working at the Family History Center was quite interesting. Usually, I needed to go through obituaries. I had to help a church employee with U.S. records and International Records. I learned how to use Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access to remove any possible duplicates found on the records waiting to be published online. There was really great management. The people in charge expected so much for us to accomplish. My co-workers and I would usually finish any assignment that was given to us, and we were quick to finish it. I got along fine with my co-workers, despite our differences. As time passed, my co-workers became my friends whom I could trust. The hardest part was trying to be on time. We usually needed to arrive at before 7:30. Usually I would get there on time. I was late four times in the space of two years. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the senior workers. I always remember them telling different stories about their lives.
Pros
Lunch Breaks, Water Breaks, etc.
Cons
Dealing with impatient patrons
Life changing and set the course for my life
Full Time Volunteer Service Missionary (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 9, 2015
Being a member of the church is a life long commitment. I had the opportunity to be a missionary for two years for my church. I stopped bad habits by replacing them with good ones.
The day started at 6:30 wake up and retiring to bed at 10:30. From 8 am -10 am I studied personally and with my assigned companion. From 5 pm - 7 pm we knocked on doors to invite others to hear our message. The day was filled with teaching, meeting new people, and following up and checking on people.
I learned to set goals, deal with hard situations, plan ahead and set goals, conduct training meetings, to willing obey, to think of others, and much more .
Some of the hard things was working and being with someone for 24/7, no time was alone. We had to put differences, habits, personalities, and grudges aside and forgive each other.
The most enjoyable things about being a missionary was seeing peoples' lives change for the better. This included those coming into the church, other missionaries, and myself.
Productive, growing, deep and exclusive experience.
Full-time volunteer representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 23, 2015
I loved being a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. During my period of serving, I experienced the best yet hardest times of my life. We woke up at 6AM every morning. Around 10AM we had finished our studies and left the apartment to go teach the gospel to the people living in Las Vegas. Sometimes people were nice, sometimes they weren't. We didn't arrive home until 10PM when we would hourly plan for the next day. Then we woke up and did it again for 15 months. I grew personally in a way I didn't realize was possible. I lived with a companion (someone who is with you 24/7 to teach the gospel) which taught me personal skills, compromising, how to work in unison, and maximize the time we spent there. Our leaders were great- especially considering they weren't paid. In fact, we paid ourselves to teach and be there. It was worth every penny.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Growth is hard and takes determination and constant effort;)
Volunteer as a missionary, rendering service to the communities surrounding Roseville California.
Volunteer Missionary (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAMarch 27, 2014
I served as a volunteer missionary in Roseville, California and the surrounding areas. I was a ordained minister for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for my 2 years service. I was able to proselyte for the Church. As well I was able to perform community service throughout my 2 year service. Being a missionary involved 24/7 service. A standard proselyting day consisted of starting the day at 6:30am and studying, planning, proselyting and doing community service. Missionaries are required to do extensive planning both daily and weekly. As a missionary we were assigned various companions over varied periods of time. We lived with, and worked with those we were paired with and we were required to be together 24/7. I learned how to effectively plan, how to work hard and how to be of service to people around me.
Pros
great life experience.
Serving a mission was a great experience to teach and serve others in need.
Missionary (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAAugust 21, 2012
A typical day at work in the mission field was full of opportunities to teach and serve the people in California. I learned how to make the most of my time. Reaching out to others to help influence them for the better was our goal. Our main objective was to leave someone better off then when we first met them. I learned a lot from my companions especially the ones who I trained; they always had such great ideas and helped me increase in my ability to serve. The hardest part of missionary work was when it came to an end. I didn't want to leave the people I had met and learned so much from. The most enjoyable part was waking up to a full schedule each day of people to go serve and teach.
Pros
i learned dedication, persistence, how to budget money better, and maintain positive outlook in difficult circumstances
Cons
learning to be away from home, and not being able to swim in the ocean.
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  BlantyreFebruary 24, 2014
My typical day at work begins with a personal prayer, followed by warming up and getting dressed for the work to begin.
while i have my earphones on listening to the radio especially BBC in order to listen to the world affairs of the day. The work begins.
I have learned that when i am at work i have to put aside all my personal pursuits or challenges and put all my concentration on the work, then i produce satisfactory results.
the hardest part of the job is when i see food in the fridge of missionaries yet my house has no food and i cant do anything about it. the other hard part is to work under close supervision of my bosses, makes me feel like they are judging my performance right away.
the most fun part is when i work alone in the house in the absence of my boss where i can move around freely and sometimes relax on the couch as if i own the house!
Pros
no free lunch!, i have learnt not to give myself a break for lunch when i am working
Cons
no short breaks
Nursery with 18 month to 3 year olds
Church nursery worker (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 28, 2015
I only do this job 2 hours on Sundays with my church. It is purely volunteer oriented, so the pay is receiving joy from anywhere from 10-15 children. A typical day here entails planning a lesson, bringing snacks, setting up (making sure facility is germ free), doing singing time, and ensuring the children have their needs taken care of. My co-workers are volunteers as well. We rotate the responsibilities listed above every week. The hardest part of this job is when there aren't as many nursery workers that you would need to care for o many little ones. It gets a little difficult keeping an eye on them all when your number of adults is just 2 or 3 but it is still a very accomplishable task. The most enjoyable part is of course being around the children. They're really entertaining and a lot of the time they end up teaching me lessons need to learn.
Pros
positive environment
Cons
not enough adults
Very changeing and so very rewarding
Missionary Work (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 8, 2015
Every day was different, but what we would do is talk with everyone around us asking if they wanted to learn more about what we had to share often times it was no, but sometimes it was a resounding yes and we would share lessons that helped them come closer to Christ. I saw we because I was constantly with another girl whom I called Sister, I learned many different ways in how to work with these different sisters and how we could make it work teaching with one another. Management was good really it was us the other Sister and I working on ways to work together well and helping others in the process. The hardest part would have to have been that of rejection. The most enjoyable was when those who we taught would understand and feel that joy as well.
Pros
The Joy that came to my life as well as thoes around me and seeing that.
Cons
Rejection and people who were mean.
Current Technology and Great focus on delivering value to the customer.
Engineering Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 25, 2015
I am involved in guiding the direction of three products, which means I have daily and weekly meetings with the teams (stand-ups and other planning meetings). I also am a discipline manager for a team of engineers so most days I have 1 on 1's to provide coaching and support to ensure successful delivery of features. I also deliver code personally and have enjoyed being a "coding manager" for 13 years.

I work with great people who share in a passion for delivering excellent quality products to our customers. I currently work on the team that handles 70% of the traffic for our familysearch.org website, which provides tools supporting family history research worldwide.
Pros
Great benefits, showers so I can run a few days a week during lunchtime.
Cons
Can't think of any. I really enjoy my current job.
Changed my life!
Missionary (Former Employee) –  Kowloon, Kowloon Tong, Hong KongAugust 27, 2014
Lots of walking, and talking to all sorts of people, to help them come to christ and learn how it can help them in their lives.
People need very basic things to be happy, and it's not that hard to understand them. I also learned to speak cantonese.
The management was fantastic- they are all volunteers, and give so much of themselves every single day.
Rejection, learning chinese, and getting fat! haha
Seeing the change in someone's face who has been going through hard things or maybe feels lost in life. Seeing light and happiness radiate from them, when it wasn't there before. And my friends that I met along the way, it taught me to be humble, more kind, more organized, and more confident. I got to see what I was really made of and become a better version of myself.
Pros
amazing, spiritual, personal growth, serving others.
Cons
rejection at times, or getting very exhausted.
Safe evironment, easy work, sometimes a lot to do, good pay, supervisor's are fair and good.
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 5, 2012
Clock in at the time clock, collect keys from shift leader, go to assigned floor collect equipment to clean, ten minute break if you want to take it, continue cleaning get tasks done, return equipment to the closet and go return rags to laundry, and then return keys to shift leader and clock out.

Once you get the job down and you know your assignment by heart you can find other ways to get the job done that is easiest for you.

Management is fair, and moral is really good.

Co-workers are friendly and are always willing to lend a helping hand if needed.

When people call in sick and we don't have enough workers to cover all the jobs and so some workers end up having to do two jobs a work shift.

The people, getting to listen to music while we work, safe good environment to work in.
To provide service in the community and teach religion
Day Saints, Missionary (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2014
-Everyday was unique and special. Everyday began at 630am and ended at 1030pm on most days. The main objective was to teach people about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. When service projects arose, either in the community or through individual pleads, we would assist. As a spanish speaker, I provided english classes for people who wanted to learn. I also was put into leadership positions. My objective was train, inspire, serve, and manage between 25-35 people at a time.
-I learned how to work hard, be dedicated, serve selflessly, love everyone, share, obedience, respect, diligence, honesty, courage, leadership qualities, and much more.
- I served with over 100 people and trained many individuals.
-The most enjoyable part of the experience was everything.
Productive, Caring, Hard Work, Focus Diligent, Out of the Box
Full Time Missionary (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 12, 2015
An LDS mission is daily work from 6:30 in the morning till 10:30 at night everything I did was focused on the work. So hard work with patience, perseverance, and a happy face went a long way in making a great experience.
Small groups were my primary focus in my leadership position of being over 6-12 other missionaries. This included teaching, correction, advising, and reporting. I worked with one other missionary that was with at all times until our companionship was rotated.
I found the hardest part of the job was working so personable with my companion and those we taught, but at the same time it became the most enjoyable aspect of the 18 month duration.
Pros
Learn many daily life skills, Independence
Cons
Short free time, Never know when being rotated
Missionary Work
Full Time Missionary (Former Employee) –  MexicoAugust 8, 2012
I served a two year mission in Mexico where I preached the gospel. It was rewarding and I learned the skills of preaching the gospel to people. I loved it. I love Mexico and the people of Mexico. They are a humble nation and the many I met were so nice and welcoming to me. I only dealt with one person of management status while I was on my mission and it was my mission president. We typically got along though. My coworkers were great and there maybe have been only one in the eighteen coworkers I work with that I didn't agree with. The hardest part of the job was seeing people take no interest in the Lord's gospel and rejecting his message. The most enjoyable thing was seeing people come unto Christ.
Pros
preaching the gospel, the people, and the ability to learn another language and culture.
Cons
n/a
Rewarding by helping those in need to advance to a better life.
Coordinator / Counselor / Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 25, 2013
This volunteering has been an adult endeavor to improve the quality of lives of others. The ability to serve without compensation has brought much joy to my life. I have learned to accept responsibilities that I have not always felt prepared for and then learned to grow into a great leader. Those whom I serve with have been extremely philanthropical as well. The hardest part of the job is finding balance. There are always those in need. I love to get outside of myself and do things for others.
Pros
i always have opportunities to serve and grow.
Cons
the only downside is sometimes serving those who are ungrateful. however, serving people no matter what their attitude is has proven to be a growing experience since 1986.
Review
Full-time Missionary (Former Employee) –  Noumea, New CaledoniaSeptember 7, 2012
from 10am to 9pm at night, we'd constantly be out of the house finding and teaching people. We would also render service to those with who we came in contact with. We would meet new people everyday. We were only about 30 missionaries with 2 zone leaders to who took care of our concerns and questions. Our mission president (who is responsible for the whole mission) was located in Fiji, so we would communicate our efforts and progress each week in an email. The hardest part of the job, was when communication was lacking.
The most enjoyable part of the job, was seeing other people happy because of the message we shared with them, or the help we gave them. It was fulfilling to see people change for the better :)
Pros
french language, more opportunity to be leaders, we were on an island :)
Cons
no car

4.8