The City University of New York Employee Reviews in United States

Good entry level
CA (Former Employee) –  Queens, New yorkOctober 7, 2015
Good for entry level and to gain experience ... they offer part and full time positions.. some titles are contractile others are not. under contract you have security without they could get rid of you when ever your job appt. is over.
Pros
flexible
Cons
management
Fun and Enlightening
Supervisor/English Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2015
Working with CUNY was fun and productive given the fact that you get to interact with individuals from different walks of life or culture. I encountered a lot of students and shared their academic experience as citizens, permanent residents or international students. The hardest part of the job was encountering difficult students who were very uncooperative.
Pros
The food
Cons
Unruly students
Independent study for psychology
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2015
A nice experience for students who want to consider a career in the field of psychology. Duties entail data entry onto the computer, handing surveys to students who want to participate in a study and greeting students who come to the lab for appointments. It was very interesting to learn how to run an experiment, conduct surveys and understanding social psychology. Although data entry was a bit tedious, it was a good experience overall. It was also nice to mingle with other students and meet new people.
Pros
Interacting with other students; making new friends and flexability
Cons
Productive, and quite informative from time to time
ADMINISTRATIVE CONFERENCE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2015
It's an excellent working environment with an unprecedented talented and hard working people. Co-workers make the environment more fun and enjoyable.
Ability to working independently or in a team setting
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJuly 9, 2014
• Provide one-on-one support and counseling in the area of Registrar, and provide general information regarding campus life
• Scan confidential documents into CUNY database
• Assist in the distribution of mail and correspondence
• Provide time sensitive information to students and faculty
• Provide advisement to Freshman and Transfer students
Pros
passionate at work
fun working place an learning atmosphere
Media Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2014
work and socialize a the same time. diversify atmosphere , all students welcome and learn from the experts and with great relaxing work. time management and convenient location on campus to work.
Pros
free food during holidays
Cons
short break, time to do home work
A University with good reputation
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2014
Five years study in this university and then got my degree there. I will never forget our nice professors and classmates.
Advance Education Benefits
Student Financial Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2014
Working at this agency can be slow or high paced depending on the department setting. The environment was certainly a learning experience which enabled me to gain treasured accounting skills. . Management can be complex based on construct and differs amongst departments.

The multi cultural background of coworkers enhanced my ability to communicate well and appreciate and respect our difference.

The hardest part of the job is that many employees lack sufficient accounting background and perform based on past custom rather than sound accounting practices; making it difficult to responsible review and correct accounting red flags.

Meeting a diverse population and the ability to explore my career path were certainly the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
learning environment
Cons
insufficient oversight
Student Financial Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2014
A typical day at work provided little challenges. However, I value the information and skills learned in public service. The office attire was relatively casual. However, administrators were formal at meetings and conferences. The hardest part of working for the organization was insufficient challenges, growth and development. Interracting with the diverse student body was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
education advancement
Cons
closed door policy
Multiple design task, hard deadlines great design team spirit.
Graphic Design Director (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 8, 2013
I have worked for The City University of New York for 8 year and it has been a great and rewarding ex moved to Graphic Design Manager. My responsibilities included brainstorming concepts with the design team whose creative inputs I have relished as ideation session have birthed great concepts and then developed into unique designs for the campus-clients. As a lead I work to keep teammates motivated through editing stages, tight deadlines and shifting priorities. Every working day, I get to be creative, craft a message that engages, increases visibility and push the brand reach further.
Pros
great benefits.
Cons
shifting priorities and last minute projects
Interesting and fun
College Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2013
Tutoring college students requires a thorough knowledge in your area of interest, during the period I have been with my current workplace, I have realized that students put all their confidence in their tutors, and this necessitate that, tutors have to be well informed at all times.

The funny it about group tutoring I have observed is that,at any point in time, at least three students need your help and ignoring one's question to answer the other create some sorts inconvenience on the part of the other.
Pros
easy access to text books
Cons
no breaks
Affords me autonomy as a Program Director
Director (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 20, 2013
I currently manage a staff of five and ensure optimum services for 475+ participants [college students]. I enjoy assisting others in their quest for self-fulfillment and economic self-sufficiency via higher education. I identify and create linakes/partnerships with other stakeholders to provide direct, exemplary services to the participants and indirectly to their dependents.
Pros
allows me to be a visionary; to think beyond the box(es).
Cons
the funding for this performance-based grant is limited and constricting.
Typical day at work
Assistant Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2013
Review and prepare comments on electrical plans, fire alarm system plans, and telecommunication plans on Design Development drawings for 22 CUNY colleges. Manage fire alarm projects for all CUNY colleges. Project management and monitor the progress at job sites. Oversee projects to ensure they run efficiently and completed by deadlines. Review payment requisitions and verify amount request equals work completed to date. Since joining engineering department, FDNY has issued 3 fire alarm system approvals on 3 projects I was involved with.
Overall good experience
Adjunct Professor of Communications (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2013
Great place and icon for public education. Incredible diversity of students and cultures. However, it is a 4-year public institution historically dependent on an ever-birthing middle class mechanism to feed its classrooms. Most if not all 4-year schools have done this; it's just their reality.

In the absence of this, with a globalized economy and its ever-increasing techno-pursuit, some schools are producing employees of specific large-scale industries more so than creating individual members of society with the capacity to think.
Pros
location, diversity of students, unionized adjuncts
Cons
management
The largest municipal university system in America
Environmental Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2012
CUNY has all of the cultural advantages of working in higher education, combined with the benefits of a municipal employer. Unfortunately, it also has the salary constraints of a municipal union environment and the problems of enforcing compliance on tenured faculty inherent in higher education.
CUNY provides a colleagial and professional environment that appreciates and encourages scholarship
ADJUNCT LECTURER/INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2012
Too many teaching positions at the CUNY are part-time with little or no benefits. If no benefits are provided,at least allow more hours so that teachers can make a decent living. If the 9-hour maximum limit for a part-time Adjunct schedule is a contractural limitation, it needs to be modified and made more flexible. Yes, I am well aware of the union's argument about hard-fought battles and not risking rights that have been won and I appreciate their views. But a rigid system hurts too many part-timers. More choice and flexibility is required in the system to be fairer to more teachers.

I for one, would gladly forego full time benefits, if I could work more than the maximum nine hours now allowed to a part-time Adjunct. A simple name change such as Adjunct Instructor or Adjunct Facilitator, and setting a pay rate 5 - 10% lower than full-time Adjuncts could clearly delineate the difference in status from the full time Adjuncts without jeopardizing the full-timers' status and benefits. I am sure many others would also agree with that point of view.

Another category of CUNY teachers, Instructors, are allowed more hours than Adjuncts but at a much lower hourly rate of pay. That situation of course needs to improve. I would suggest a 50% increase in pay and a 25 - 50% decrease in hours. This would require no increase in the budget, only a revised schedule. If for example, an Instructor makes $35.00 an hour now and works 30 hours a week, change it to 20 hours at $52.50 an hour. The salary remains the same, but working conditions improve for the teachers. This gives the instructor
  more... more time to decompress from the stresses of teaching.

Overall ,CUNY can be a very good place to work. I would give it an A- for work environment but a B to B- for part-time teachers' salaries. The part-time teaching staff makes up the vast majority of CUNY teachers. Having a majority of your teaching staff often dissatisfied is potentially a source of problems in the future.
Pros
prestige and easy work schedule
Cons
not enough hours given to part time teachers