The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf

The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Employee Reviews

Fun and fast paced environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Pūpūkea, HIDecember 9, 2016
The work place environment is fairly good. I enjoy the fast pace work overall. The management seems very employee oriented to keep everyone happy. Benefits seem to be be lacking a bit, but as a part time employee that's not a big deal. Training hasn't been very thorough, kind of just thrown into the mix and you either get it or you don't kind of thing.
Pros
Free drink during shift
Cons
Pay on the low end
Varying levels per store, but overall not bad
Barista (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 23, 2016
A typical day at my coffee bean and tea leaf was making more drinks than I knew I could in the 5 to 8 hour shifts I worked. Making the same drinks to standard/ the guest's preference every time. There was a good focus on team work, though I found that without good management it only takes one rush for the team to crumble. They have a fairly decent system, but you really have to prove yourself to move upward. I had the best store in my district so it was hard to help other coffee beans out, but I did learn quite a bit about coffee and how to broach a guest's problem.
Pros
Occasional company gifts and good coworkers
Cons
No benefits and Limited full time options
okay job while going to school
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJuly 26, 2016
I enjoyed meeting new people and getting to know some regulars. The hours were also very flexible when it came to working with my school schedule. Coworkers were usually okay but could be bad. Same with managers. Upper management is really terrible though, I'd say they are the worst part and what made me not want to not work for the company. My district manager filed me as part time instead of full time, no one went over any of my benefits with me, I ended up going two years not being paid for holidays and not getting vacation hours added up until I found out. My district manager blamed me for not noticing sooner and wasn't helpful or concerned very much about fixing the problem and paying me for all the lost money. They only wanted to pay for my vacation hours, I later had to ask them to also add the holidays I was not paid for. My general manager and district manager made me feel like I was bothering them to be paid for something I should have already been paid for. My district manager also obviously favored certain stores, and made it obvious he favored certain male employees. He didn't have basic management skills and made poor decisions. This store in particular had a lot of rude, crazy, and strange people around the area. I've had so many confrontations with people, and some of the weirdest things happen while working there. This made some days interesting and other days stressful.
Pros
free coffee, flexible schedule
Cons
poor management, no room for growth
awesome place to work
shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CADecember 10, 2016
great company to advance. great customers. management is very flexible.as a supervisor a typical day is at least 8 hours, and depending on who has taken care of what, the time goes by quickly, especially if you are good at deligating, not just telling people what to do. because when you work with your team everything runs smoothly. it can get overwhelming if you are understaffed and its during rush hours but as long as you can be patient and know your job, you will be fine.ive made friends there with co workers, and even got to know customers.it was a great 4 year expirience, if anyone were to ask, i would definitely advise them to apply.
Pros
the coffee
Cons
the end of the night mopping
fun workplace very easy going
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Encino, CAMay 27, 2016
managed shop through day to day operations
handle guest complaints
managed orders and handled inventory counts
awesome place with great chances to move up through the company really easily
Pros
awesome coworkers
Cons
no benefits very little wage improvement
The best company I have ever worked for
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 23, 2016
Phenomenal training programs, commitment to excellence, strong leadership, continuous innovation, excellent benefits package, focus on aggressive growth
Great product, had a wonderful staff.
Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTApril 22, 2016
Management was great, enjoyed working with my team. learned and gained management experience. One of the best things was our customers.
Pros
Free coffee and tea.
Cons
no benefits and breaks weren't long enough.
The Coffee Bean And Tea Leaf is the perfect stepping stone for learning how to make espresso based drink while executing great customer service.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  2169 Broadway New York NY, 10024November 25, 2016
The training takes two weeks to complete but once finished allows the employee the opportunity to become adept in creating quality espresso based during within a timely manner. The environment is warm and friendly as well as the vibe from the customers. The workplace is fast paced and provides a great oppportunity to learn time management and multitasking skills while encouraging teamwork on the floor.
Great experience for a first job. Friendly co workers and good management.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Kapaa, HI 96746December 8, 2016
A typical day at work for an opening/ morning shift would include:
-preparing coffee
-preparing foods to be put out that day
-bringing out tables and chairs for customers to sit on outside
-dishes
-count into the safe and bring out drawers

A typical day at work for a closing/ night shift include:
-doing everything opposite from morning shift
-clean floors, bathroom, lobby
-dishes
-takes out trash
-bring in tables and chairs from outside
-waste out any food that goes out that day
-count out of the safe and send daily deposit to bank
Pros
Free drinks while on clock, bean bucks that can be used at foodland to buy lunch or dinner
Cons
We don't close the store till 9:30 pm on weekends
Eeeeh
barista (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 18, 2015
They used to really care for you. now they want you to be a coffee robot. they max pt hours at 27.5 because 30/ week means they have to get health benefits. minimum wage for a high knowledge high training high stress job. tips are taxed, they'll schedule you 5:50 min shifts so you don't get a meal break- just a ten. I feel like if this company could hire coffee slaves, they would. Other than that, you're pretty much at the mercy of your location as per how your coworkers / bosses are, the customers can either be amazing or horrendous, it's the kind of job to get in between jobs. It sucks because I LOVE my general manager, but the shift supervisors and company make me want to quit.
Pros
food/ coffee
Cons
short breaks, healthcare, hard work, minimum wage, rude customers
It was a fun place to work but management needs a little help.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 13, 2016
A typical day at work would be walking in see where to be placed and clean or take orders as well as make drinks. I learned more about customer service and more about coffee. Management was okay there was too much bias and favoritism as well as not recognizing hard workers. My co-workers were fun and I made a lot of new friends as well as learned to not get too close to them. To me the most enjoyable was talking to out customers and making them the best quality drinks. The customers were the main reason why I loved what I did I knew every regular my name.
great work place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAAugust 8, 2016
the staff are amazing and the management is pretty impressive. the work environment is very family oriented,Great for someone who is in school or needing a break from a crazy hectic work life.
Co-Workers were very friendly. It felt like a family environment, which is more inviting to me.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 5, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of greeting customers, taking their payments and making their drinks. We would occasionally catch up with a small conversation to the regulars. We made it feel very welcoming in there. Co-workers were always smiling and very supportive. One of the hardest parts was dealing with the rushes, although it was not that big of a deal, as I can handle myself very calmly under stress. One of the best parts was creating relationships with the regulars.
Coffee bean and tea leaf
Assist and greet customers (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 11, 2016
It was an okay job I just didnt like how they do not have any health benefits and the pay was not that great at all.. I love working with people but I just want to work for a better company.
Pros
working in manhattan
Cons
no hours
Great team environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2015
My experience at Coffee Bean was a phenomenal one because my supervisors knew how to make the employees and customers smile and laugh. The connection between the customers and the employees were strong. Regular customers would come in and tell us about their day, whether it went bad or good. Celebrities sometimes came such as Leon, which made working there even more exciting. Nevertheless, a new manager came along and changed everything about the work environment and schedules and the good, eccentric vibes slowly vaporized. Heat was a big problem during the summer because the air conditioning system always broke down around that time of the year according to my fellow coworkers. Overall, it was great to meet new people and celebrities, and I will miss the camaraderie I had with my team members.

P.S. The pastries are extremely delicious
Pros
Supervisors occasionally bought food for team members, chance to meet celebrities, and employee discount
Cons
No benefits, pay raises not given when due, unfair judgement from manager
Great place to establish you skill set
TRAINING GENERAL STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Ventura County, CAOctober 13, 2016
Nothing bad that I can really say about Coffee Bean an Tea Leaf. Your day goes by fast, in the blink of an eye. Meet great people and very eager to hire within.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, benefit
Cons
Open everyday of the year
Nope.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 5, 2015
The only reason why the overall review gets one star is because the people you work with, in your store, are awesome.

PROS: You learn to make latte's and drinks. Co-workers are nice.

CONS: Terrible pay. Corporate and management clearly do not care about their employees. Will be given part-time because they do not want to give employees health care. Demand too much work and pay nothing.

Would not recommend this job. Find your passion.
Pros
learn to make drinks
Cons
low pay. no benefits. no appreciation.
over all loved the team i worked with
Team Member (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 4, 2017
Would work for this company again, management was nice and coworkers where very helpful and supportive and hardest part of the job was the holidays
Pros
lunches
Cons
expected to learn in short time period
Good work enviorment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 2, 2016
Coffee bean is a good place to work at. No matter how your day is you always have to come in with a positive attitude. Management was great always tried to keep their employees happy. It really was a good place to work at.
Pros
Fun enviorment
Cons
schedule was not the best
Productive work place family oriented
Coffee Barista (Former Employee) –  Venice, CANovember 4, 2016
CO WORKERS WHERE GOOD TO BE AROUND

Mangament was awesome

Enjoyed serving the customers and satisfying their needs

We built an quit drama free environment to where the customers feel free to relax do there Homework, Research, and enjoy a cup if Coffee
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Not enough hrs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. Our community is ready to answer.

The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Reviews by Location